I'll learn aboutlearn cookingg(on the Internet)划线部分提问

Should the U.S. government censor the Internet? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs
04:00 PM ET
Share this on:
FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:
It’s been a Wednesday without Wikipedia and other major websites. As they go dark to protest two anti-piracy bills in Congress, critics say these bills amount to censorship of the Internet.
While Google hasn't shut down, a black rectangle covers its famous logo urging people to "Tell Congress: Please don't censor the web!"
The web-wide protest is in response to the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, in the U.S. House and the Protect IP Act, or PIPA, now pending before the full Senate.
The battle lines are drawn with Hollywood and major media companies, including CNN's parent company, Time Warner, on one side and Silicon Valley on the other.
If the bill passes, copyright holders could seek a court order to force search engines such as Google to remove links to sites that are offering illegal movies, TV shows, songs, etc. The main targets are foreign websites.
But Internet companies worry they could be punished for users' actions. Google says YouTube would have to go dark immediately if the bill passes, saying "it couldn't function."
On the other side, supporters say that online piracy leads to job losses in the U.S. since content creators lose income. They dismiss accusations of censorship, saying that the bills are meant to fix a broken system that doesn't prevent piracy.
Supporters say this bill won't hurt the average Internet user.
Many in the tech world agree that piracy is a real problem, but they worry about the implications of this legislation, fearing that it's a foot in the door that could lead to further government controls.
Meanwhile the bills that were once expected to sail through Congress have hit rough waters. One Senate aide tells CNN that because of the growing protests, the bill might not even make it to a vote.
Here’s my question to you: Should the U.S. government censor the internet?
Interested to know which ones made it on air?
Bonnie in New Jersey:
The U.S. government is so dysfunctional at this point I don't think it needs to be telling me what I can and cannot see on the internet. I mean, really, censoring the internet, steroids in baseball, bullying... What else can they find to make it look like they are doing something while the country falls apart?
T. in Massachusetts:
Slippery slope alert: Censorship cannot be conditional.
Jon in Alabama:
Jack, Taking someone’s creative work and then selling it to make a profit is wrong. It violates copyright laws. Movies and television productions are protected by case law and legislative statues, but the internet makes it easy to steal these creative works for profit. It should be stopped.
Pete in Florida:
Absolutely NOT. Once again, some politicians and large corporate interests are trying to control our lives. This country is supposed to be free, but is becoming more like commie Russia and pre-WW2 Germany every day. Will the KGB and the Gestapo be kicking in your door some night because you visited the "wrong" websites?
Michael on Facebook:
Wikipedia can't function because most of its content is in violation of copyright materials. It isn't censorship to give the Encyclopedia Britannica and others their day in court. The foot in the door argument is nonsense, since fair use exceptions would still apply, as they do now. The last I checked, the Internet evolved from the need to keep communications infrastructure alive in time of nuclear war. While it is now mostly private, it is simply ignorant to not recognize that it exists within a governmental environment.
Mark in Oklahoma:
They already censor radio, and television. Can't they keep their sticky fingers off my internet? I'm calling Al Gore!
Follow this Blog:
on Twitter
Would you ride in a car that drives itself?
2016 buzz gets louder. Is she the answer?
sex scandal and online privacy. Don’t think it couldn't happen to youLC Sele oom 4pm
secession petition gets 100,000 signatures. Should the
be allowed to withdraw from U.S.?
Fiscal cliff = “Thelma & Louise”? We’ve seen this movie beD6aG1tyFiitRoom at 4pm ET
Recent Posts
Top Topics
January 2012McGee on Food and Cooking: An Encyclopedia of Kitchen Science, History and Culture: Amazon.co.uk: Harold Mcgee: 6: Books
Windows Phone
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Tell the Publisher!
Don't have a Kindle?
, or download a FREE .
Amazon Original Books on Sale
Browse a selection of over 160+ Kindle Books currently on sale from 99p.
Product details
Hardcover: 896 pages
Publisher: Hodder & S Revised and Updated edition (8 Nov. 2004)
Language: English
ISBN-13: 978-
Product Dimensions:
16.8 x 6.2 x 23.5 cm
Average Customer Review:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
43,204 in Books ()
Would you like to ?If you are a seller for this product, would you like to ?
Product description
It answers every culinary question. . . This is the definitive, heavyweight reference book for the keen cook. (Spectator)There has been no book like this since Alan Davidson's Oxford Companion to Food, and there a few books so comprehensive, perspicuous or gracefully written on any subject. It is no exaggeration to call it a masterpiece. (Paul Levy, TLS)Dazzling informative. . . . McGee is the father of modern food science and by far the most enjoyable writer to read on the subject. (Bee Wilson, Sunday Telegraph)if you have to buy a present for someone really obsessed with cooking the outstanding choice is a work that is not new and does not contain a single recipe. McGee on Food and Cookery is an expanded version of Harold McGee's classic exploration of science in the kitchen. Not only does he explain how every culinary reaction works, he also explores the history of everything we eat... For the price of a meal, you'll get a lifetime's nutrition. (Christopher Hirst, Independent)He has made the jump from mere author to timeless authority ... the book is quite remarkable in its depth, breadth and clarity. (Observer)
Book Description
Everything you've ever wanted to know about the science, history and culture of food and cooking, in one encyclopaedic, 896-page reference book
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Amazon Prime
J. Kenji López-alt
Amazon Prime
Share your thoughts with other customers
Read reviews that mention
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseThis book is an absolute steal on Amazon as the amount of knowledge it holds is worth twice the money at least.If you've ever wondered why a certain thing happens in the kitchen then this is your book. It explains absolutely everything, from the finer points of egg proteins to the effects of salt on meat. Every imaginable process is covered and this book in indispensable for the inquisitive chef.The book contains far more than just scientific facts and I can happily while away an hour or two flicking through the pages, inspiring my cooking to be better all the while.
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseI haven't actually finished reading yet, I'm only about 3/4 of the way through. Many of the reviews I have read about this book suggest that it should be used more as a reference, rather than a reading book. While that would certainly work to improve your technique when looking up a specific ingredient, you'd miss out on a lot. If you DO work your way through from beginning to end, and are serious about cooking, this will improve every aspect of your cooking. The book is laid out in sections of basic ingredients and explains in layman's terms (mostly) how they're constructed, why they do what they do when treated in a certain way and gives tips that will apply to literally every single meal you cook. There are handy little science class diagrams which help clarify and text boxes containing recipes, lore and writing hundreds of years old.In a nutshell:If you read this book, you will be able to get the most out of every ingredient and piece of equipment in your kitchen. There will be a hundred "AH! THAT'S where I've been going wrong!" moments and countless times when answers you have searched for all your culinary life (Like "How can I get my cheesecakes not to crack??") will suddenly shine from the pages.Also a brilliant gift for any foodie!
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseI had been looking forward to reading this book for some time and I'm happy to say that it is excellent!
I'll admit that it is not an easy read because the level of detail is impressive to say the least.
Why not 5 stars?
The constant references to U.S food production etc bored me.
The book was obviously intended for the American market and whilst I can't blame McGee for doing so (he is American afterall!), he's written the book without considering the fact that not all readers will be interested in knowing about the USDA et al.
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseThis is a great reference book for people interested in the science behind cookery, but it's more than that. The explanations of how and why things behave the way they do are really helpful when you want to get things right, or find out why they went wrong. It's really comprehensive, I have never yet looked for something and failed to find it.
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseWhat a magnificent reference volume. This book seems to cover almost everything. I have only owned it a couple of weeks, but have spent hours a day reading it. I have many books about cookery, some of which are full of padding and photos, but with very little information considering their price. This book is jam-packed with information, making it excellent value. A solid reference text, to be referred to again and again.
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseFascinating book. Excellent for direct look-up and to browse, and explains why things happen in cookery - so it really helps to work out why something didn't turn out right. Beware though, browsing it can become addictive...
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseI had a nice edition of this years ago. Wanted to replace it. I have to say the print production values are a bit poor. Like it's the original book photocopied on slightly bigger paper.
Format: Hardcover|Verified PurchaseThis book is amazing, not only does it give you scientific details of why certain reactions happen it explains them in such an easy to understand way that it's hard to believe you didn't know it before. The book is split into easily readable sections and is peppered with interesting facts. This is without doubt one of the best cookery books I've ever bought.
Most recent customer reviews
Pages with related products.
See and discover other items: , , , 
track your
view or change your orders in
? (See our )
still have questions?
After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.
After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
对划线部分提问 改祈使句对划线部分提问 1.He was (playing on the playground.) 2.I will help (Li Ping) with his maths 3.The children brought out (their knives) to cut the apples 4.They had an (English ) test at nine 5.I'll finish the work (in a few minutes) 改祈使句 1.You are asked to come here,Mary 2.You shouldn't listen to the radio in class 3.You must stand on the left 4.He told you not to worry about him 5.You'd better keep quiet
作业帮用户
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
1.What was he doing?2.Whose maths will you help with?3.What did the children buy out to cut the apples?4.What test did they have at nine?5.When will you finish the work?1.come here please,Mary 2.please don't listen to the radio in class.3.please stand on the left 4.Don't worry aobut him 5.keep quiet please
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
1.what was he doing? 2.who will you help with his maths? 3.what did the children brought out to cut the apples? 4.what test dia they hve at nine? how longwill you finish the work?
1.come here ,mary 2.don't listen to the radio in class 3.stand on the left 4.don't worried about him 5.keep quiet
扫描下载二维码

我要回帖

更多关于 learn of learn about 的文章

随机推荐