关于2012学位英语 看到你2012年的回复

当前位置: >>
2006年-2012年在职攻读硕士学位全国联考英语真题及答案
2006 年在职攻读硕士学位全国联考英语试题 Part I Dialogue Communication(1 5 minutes,1 5 points) Section A: Dialogue Completion Directions:In this section,you will read 5 short incomplete dialogues between two speakers,each followed by four choices marked A,B,C,andD. Choose the answer that best suits the sit-uation to comple the dialogue .Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single linethrough the center. 1.Speaker A:Excuse me,but can you tell us where the conference room is? Speaker B:The conference room is located on the third floor of the hotel A.Of course,si r. B.Yes,please. C.Right,sir.D.You are welcome 2. Speaker A:______ Speaker B:I’m running a temperature,and feel sick. A. What can I do for you? B. What seems to be the trouble? C. What are you doing these days? D.How long has this been going on? 3.Speaker A:Nancy,you look very well Speaker B:Thank you,Jane.You look wonderful too.Your weekend swimming must havedone good to you. Speaker A:―― A.You think so?That’s encouraging. B.That’s very kind of you C.Are vou serious?Thank you anyway. D.Are you kidding?I don’t believe it 4.Speaker A:It took me ten years to build up my business,and it almost killed m e Speaker B:Well,you know what they say:―― A.There is no smoke without fire. B.Practice makes perfct. C.All roads lead to Rome. D.No pains,no gains. 5.Speaker A:Don’t you smoke?1 Speaker B.―― A.No.Nothing interests me less than smoking B.Yes.I have never smoked in my life. C.No.Only once in a while. D.Yes.And I hate others smoking in my face.Section B Dialogue Comprehension Directions:In this section,you will read 5 short conversations between a man and a woman At the end of each conversation there is a question followed by four choices marked A,B,C,and D. Choose the best answer to the question from the 4 choices given and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 6.Woman:I just found out at registration.that the creative writing class is full.Now I have to wait a whole year to get in Man:Why don’t you check back after the first week? Somebody might drop it. Question:What does the man suggest the woman should do? A.Make sure the registration office didn’t make a mistake. B.Decide whether to drop the course next week. C.Find out if a place opens up in the course later. D.Take the course next year. 7.Woman:1 want to talk with Tom now. Man:You can’t do that.He is in bad mood. Question:Why can’t the woman talk to Tom now? A.Tom is terribly i11. B.Tom is in low spirits. C.Tom is bad―tempered. D.Tom is very nervous. 8.Woman:You often complain a lot about your boss.But today you are different. Man:We had a heart―to―heart talk and I saw him with new eyes. Question:What does the man mean? A.He saw his boss as a real person for the first time. B.He is now complaining in a different way. C.He has made his boss change his attitude.2 D.He has changed his opinion of his boss. 9.Woman:Maybe we should take the front street this morning.The radio announcer said that the traffic is very heavy on the freeway. Man:Well,if he says to take the front street,we should go the other wav. Question:What does the man think of the radio announcer7 A:He’s humorous. B.He makes no mistakes. C.He doesn’t speak clearly. D.He’s tlnreliable. 10.Woman:I didn’t see you at the concert last night.What’S wrong with you? Man:That’S not my cup of tea. Question:What does the man mean? A.He is not fond of concerts. B.He didn’t like the tea at the concert. C.He left early to have some tea with somebody else. D.He doesn’t want to tell the woman why he was not therePartⅡ Vocabulary and Structure(2 0 minutes,1 0 points)Directions:There are20incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A,B,Cand D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence.Mark your an―swer onthe ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 1 1.The work has the status of a classic among the composer’S admirers. A.reauired B.acquired C.inquired D.inspired 1 2.Some people think they can read man’S__from his handwriting. A.attribute B.feature C.property D.character 1 3.The young heir was so__that he gave all his money away in a couple of years? A.handsome B.genuine C.talented D.generous3 1 4. Only by understanding the Web deeply__hope for people to grasp its full potential? A. can there be B. can be there C. be there can D.there can be 15.What you’reto read may challenge your assumptions about the kind of world we live A.around B.ahead C.above D.about 16.The goal is to use crops,weeds and even animal waste__the petroleum that fuels much of American manufacturing. A.in terms of B.in favor of C.in spite of D.in place of 17.The_he said it he knew what a mistake he had made. A.moment B.time C.occasion D.hour 18.I_______rather s01ve the problems in my farm myself than seek the help of other people. A.should B.shall C.would D.will 19.From what has been discussed above,we may safely draw the__that its disadvantages are far greater than its advantages. A.solution B.conclusion C.answer D.attention 20.By the time you have completed the essential training,you__exposed to Virtually every new feature of the course. A.will have been B.will be C.would have been D.would be 21.Too often teachers'_with parents involve complaints about children’s misbehaviors and iaziness. A.acquaintances B.associations C.conferences D. consultations22.I admit that the Droblems are difficult,I don’t agree that they cannot be solved.4 A.When B.Where C.While D.Why 23.He should___ be a110wed to get up until he has completely recovered from his illness. A.in case B.in any case C.in that case D.in no case 24.If nature does not provide man with the necessary material,it is the laboratorv____he will turn to for it. A.where B.which C.that D.what 25.All flights――because of the snowstorm,they decided to take the train. A.were cancelled B.have been cancelled C.had been cancelled D. havihg been cancelled 26.I really appreciate______to help me,but I am sure that I can manage it myself. A.you to come B.that you come C.your coming D.how you come 27.A new system of quality control was__to overcome the shortcomings in the firm’s prod ucts. A..invested B.reformed C introduced D.instructed 28.It may be worthwhile at this moment to____and see what results we have got after one year’s experiments. A.100k back B.100k around C.100k up D.100k forward 29.I don’t think Mr.Watson wili come here again today.Please give the ticket to____comes here first. A.whomever B.whom C.who D.whoever 30.Far too many owners of electric appliances have a hard time___________qualified repairmen to fixtheir machines. A.finding B.to find C.to finding D.having foun Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes,40 points) Directions:There are 4 passages in this part.Each of the passages is followed5 by 5 questions or unfinisbed statements.For each of them there are 4 choices marked A,B.Cand D.Choose thebest one and lTlark your allszuer 0n the ANSWER SHEET zuith a single line through the cellter. Passage One Don’t have time to read anymore?Now you can get free,quick literatnre via emait.More than 100 000 people open their email each day,to read a chapter of a book, through Chapter―A― Day.an online book club created two years ago.It’s a free email service that provides a short dai―ly reading for busy people,exposing them to literature they may not find on their own inspiring some to recommit it to the reading habit.About 550 public library systems representing over 3 000 branch libraries already have signed up to offer Chapter ―A―Day.Via email,participants get about five minutes’worth of reading every day.After three chapters are∈mailed.the installments stop,and those who want to keep reading can borrow the book at their public library or purchase it online.Chapter―A―Day has eight free book clubs,and sells thousands of books each month. Chapter―A-Day started in 1999 when Suzanne Beecher,a lifelong book lover, realized how manyof the women whoworked part―time for her software development company didn’ t havetime in their busy lives to read.She decided to type part of a chapter of a book , and send it to heremployees through email . The next day she typed a little more,and continued tosend literary installments each day.She says she started getting feedback from the staff about how readingmade them feel. “They were interested,and realized that.though they didn ’ t have time in theirbusv lives for reading,just reading that little bit each day got them back in the habit.&Realizingthat many other people could benefit.she decided to take the idea even further and start an email&chapter-aday’ ’book club to help others ease their way back into daily reading.“Reading makeschanges in people’S lives. ”Beecher says. Pat Dempsey.a librarian at a public library in Ohio,has found Chapter―A―Day helps her li―brary clients get back in the habit of reading.&It’s a different way to get people h00ked onbooks,”she says. 3 1.Chapter-A-Day is intended to help people__.6 A.get back into the habit of reading B.relieve stress from office work C.find interesting books online D.buy books more conveniently 32.The passage was written in__. A.1999 B.2000 C.2001 D.t can be inferred that through Chapter―A-Day――. A.Dublic libraries have become crowded with readers B.Ms Beecber made much money for her software company C.Deople begin to read very slowly and patiently D.Deople cannot finish reading any book online 34.The word“installment”in the passage probably means“――”A.a 1ibrary email B.a rare piece of literature C.a free novel D.a part of a book 35.Ms Beecher decided to expand her Chapter―A―Day service because__? A.over 3 000 1ibraries had j oined B.many other people could benefit C.eight book clubs supported her D free emajl service was available Passage two Chicago Public Schools are going to great lengths to hire teachers--now the school districtrecruits teachers fr 。m other countries to help solve a shortage of teachers.It all started in 1999 , when R 。 uses Hannon . a math and physics teacher from Palestine( 巴 勒 斯 坦 ) , visited Chicago He read about the teacher shortage at Chicago Public Schools and asked the school board if they dhire him The board was interested and decided to create a special program for foreign ― born teach―ers like Hannon,and he was the first teacher hired. The program is called the Global Educator Outreach or GEO , and it ’ s a partnership between Chicago Public Schools and the U。S. government. Because the teacher shortage in Chicago is soextreme,the Government allows the school district to temporarily hire foreign teaching candi―dates using H1 一 B visas.The Government grants these visas oniy to skilled foreign_born citlzens SO they can work in highly specialized jobs that can’t be filled with available U.S.workforce. Through the GEO , the school district has hiredtries . Applicants must pass an English language test dozens of teachers from 22 different coun ―and specialize in math,science。world lan―guage or bilingual(双语的)education.Hannon and the first GEO teachers started in the class―room at the beginning of the
school year, What do the GEO teachers think of the American classroom?ttannon, who was hired toteach math at Gage Park High School , says classrooms in Chicagoare very different from those inPales tine. For one thing , he says , the fixed schedule that forces students t0 attend the same clas ― ses at the same time each day becomes too dutl. In Palestine , the class sehedule changes eachweek.He says in Palestine , the culture forces students to work hard because if they don't they'ilbe kicked out and put in vocational schools , which limits their career options.There is not nearlvaS much pressure for American students to do,veil。He7 says he has todouble the amounts of work just to get his students interested, 36.Chicago Public Schools began to employ foreign teachers because A.there were not enough American teachers B.a program for foreign teachers was started C.the schooi board was interested in foreign teachers D.foreign teachers taught better than American teachers 37.The American Government is involved in the program because . A.the schools are public schools B.the Government is to finance the program C.the Government grants visas to the foreign teachers D.the program involves bilingual education 38.It seems that the Global Educator Outreaeh wiil . A.be difficult to continue B.last a limited period of time C.pose a threat to U.S.workforce D.be extended to other cities 39.Chicago Public Schools do not seem to lack teachers of_____. A.English B.math C.science D.world language 40.Hannon,as a GEO teacher,has found that____. A.class schedules in America and Palestine are very much the same B.fixed class schedules make it easy for teachers to prepare lessons C.vocational schools offer a good career option for American students D.American students do not work as hard as Palestinian students Passage Three Workforce is defined as the total number of people who are available to work and earn in―comes.The definition includes everyone who is employed or seeking paid employment,SO it ill―cludes employees and the self-employed. Although the size of the workforce depends a great deal on the size of the total population,there are several other influences which also affect it . The age distribution of the total populationhas a very marked effect on the available workforce . If the population has a high proportion of very young people or of those too old to work,then the available workforce would be lower thanif there were an evenly spread age distribution . If the population grows rapidly from natural in ― crease , i . e . the number of births greatly exceeds the number of deaths,then as the total popula―tion increases,the proportion in the workforce declines. Sometimes a population is described as aging,which means that the birth rate is either failing or growing very slowly,and as people retire from the workforce, there are not enough young people entering it to replace those who are leaving it.The population is top―heavy with older peo―ple.So the percenLage of the population in the workforce declines when there is either a rapid in―crease in births or a failing birth rate. The age distribution of the population has several important effects on the economy.If the population is aging and there is an increase in the number of people retiring without a correspond ― ing increase in the number entering the8 workforce , this raises the problem of the ability of the economv to provide a reasonable level of social services to the retired group. If the aged are to be cared for in special hc)mes or hotels , finances must be available for that purpose.If tbe size of the workforce is small relative to the total population, then the government tax receipts are relatively low and either the government has less money available to it or the workforce members have to be taxed more heavily. 41.Workforce is composed of________. A.both the employed and the self-employed B.people employed to work for others C.both employers and employees D.people avai lable to work and earn incomes 42.The factor that does not influence the size of the workforce is___ A.the size of the total population B.the age distribution of a population C.the national economy D.the natural population growth 43.It can be concluded from Paragraph 2 that 一――. A.a population growth leads to a greater proportion of workforce B.a 1arge population does not necessarily mean a high proportion of workforce C.the size of the aged determines the proportion of workforce D.the Droportion of the very young determines the size of workforce 44.1 he size o±the workforce declines when__. A.many people reach the retiring age B.the birth rate falls rapidly C.the number of retirees exceeds that of new workers D.the death rate increases 45.The last paragraph focuses on_______. A.the factors that influence the workforce structure B.the importance of workforce distribution to the economy C.the relationship between the age distribution and the economy D.the influence of population growth on the national economy Passage Four Honesty is the best policy , as the English saying goes . Unfortunately , honesty often deserts us when no one is watching.British psychologists reported last week. Researchers at UK ’ s Newcastle University set up an experiment in their psychoiogy department’s coffee room.They set a kettle with tea,coffee and milk on the counter and hung up a sign listing the prices for drinks.People helping themselves to a cup of drink were supposed to put a few cents in the box nearby.The scientists hung a poster above the money box , and itchanged each week between images of gazing eyes and pictures of flowers.The researchers foundthat staff paid 2.76 times more for their drinks when the image of the eyes was hung. “Franklywe were shocked by the size of the9 effect, ”said Gilbert Roberts。one of the researchers. Eyes are known to be a powerful perceptual(感官的)signal for humans. “Even though the eyes were not real,they stitl seemed to make people behave more honestly. ”said Melissa Bate―son.a behavioral biologist and leader of the study. Researchers believe the effect sheds light on our evolutionary past It may arise from behav-ioral features that developed when early humans formed social groups to strengthen their chancesof survival . For social groups to work , individuals had to co-operate 。 rather than act selfishly . There ’ s an argument that if “ nobody is watching us,it is in our interests to behave selfishly.But when were being watched we should behave better . So people see us as co ― operative and behave the same way towards us, ”Bateson said. The new finding indicates that people have a striking response to eyes . That might be be― cause eyes and faces send a strong biological signal we have evolved to respond to.The finding could be put to practical use,too . For example , images of eyes could increase ticket sales on pub ― lic transport and improve supervision systems to prevent antisocial behavior. 46.The experiment conducted in Newcastle University shows that____. A.people enj oy free drinks more than paid ones B.most people are dishonest if nobody is watching C.people like pictures of flowers more than pictures of eyes D.people are more honest when watched by pictures of eyes 47.Gilbert Roberts was shocked because . A.so many people had participated in the experiment B.so many of the participants were dishonest C.the effects of the pictures of flowers and gazing eyes were so different D.the effects of eyes and other perceptual signals were so powerful 48.The phrase“sheds light on”in Paragraph 4 probably means“――”. A.hints at B.makes clearer C.points to D.further proves 49.According to the passage,early humans――. A.were less selfish than the present―day people B.were more co―operative in nature C.had to be co―operative to survive D.had to behave better than the present―day people 50.Images of eyes could be put up in the following places EXCEPT__. A.subway entrances B.supermarkets10 C.back streets D.hotelsPart 1V Cloze Test(15 minutes,10 points)Directions:There are 10 blanks in the follow,ing passage.For each numbered blank,thereare 4 choices marked A,B,C and D.Choose the best o?le and 77~ayk your answer 071 the ANSWERSHEET with a single line through the center.German zoologist Randolf Menzel says bees aren’t as busy as people believe they are.“Bees are not particularly 5 1 .Instead they sleep a lot and are lazy.They spend 52 80 percent of the night sleeping。Even during the day they often fly to the nest 53 they rest their wings.”said Menzel.a zoologist at the Free University in Berlin,who has studied bees for four decades.But to 54 for their apparent laziness.they are actually very intelligent.They are 55 learners and able to recognize various smells. Menzel said bees’learning,like 56 of many animals,was based on a reward system.“If a bee is rewarded once for something,it remembers it for a week.But if it is rewarded three times,it will remember it for its 57 lifetime.”said Menzel.He last week was awarded a 58 by the German Zoological Society. The memory capacity of bees means they can 59 among more than 50 different smells to find the smell they want.“What is interesting is that what smells good to a bee,is also a 60 sinell for humans,”said Menzel.11 5 1. A.working hard B.hardworking C.hard working D.working hardly 52.A.as to B.as much C.up to D.such as 53.A.what B.to which C.in that D.where 54.A.compensate B.provide C.search D.account 55.A.rapid B.swift C.speedy D.quick 56.A.those B.which C.that D.what 57.A.full B.integrate C.all D.entire 58.A.prize B.praise C.price D.pride 59.A.discriminate B.distinguish C.divide D.derive 60.A.sickening B.pleasant C.harsh D.gracefulPart V Translation(30 minutes,1 0 points)Directions:Translate the following passage into Chinese and put your translation on the ANSWER SHEET.Each year in the United States more people are killed or i~ured in accidents--at home,atwork or school,at play,or while traveling- than were killed orinjured in the Vietnam war.Inthe earlv 1990s,about half of these accidental deaths were the result of motor―vehicle accidents.Other maj or causes of accidental deaths were falls,fires,and poisoning.On a worldwide basis,accidents involving motor vehicles are the primary cause of accidental deaths,followed by acci― dents in industry and in the home. Efforts to lessen or to eliminate the hazardous conditions that cause accidents are known as saletv measures.Safety is a growing concern around the world,and safety skillS are being taken more seriouslv today than ever before.People have come to realize that safety skills can be learn―ed,and most safety experts agree that it is possible to predict,and take steps to prevent,the ma―joritv of accidents.Few accidents12 simply“happen”.Most are caused by ignorance,carelessness,neglect,or 1ack of skill.PartⅥ Writing(30 minutes,1 5 points)Directions:You are to write in no less than 1 20 words about the topic“On the Significance of the Qing-Zang Railroad”.Your composition should be based on the Chinese clues given be―low. 青藏铁路于今年 7 月 1 日通车。请简单地谈谈青藏铁路建成和通车的重大意义,如经济、文 化、旅游等方面。 注:西藏:Tibet;西藏的、西藏人、藏语:Tibetan答案 第一部分口语交际 1、ABADA 2、CBDDA 第二部分语法结构和词汇 11---15、BDDAD 16----20、DACBA 21----25、CCDCD 26----30、CCADA 第三部分阅读理解 31----35、ACCDB 36-----40、ACBAD 41----45、DCBCC 46----50、BCBCD 第四部分完型填空 51----55、CCDAD 56-----60、CDABB 第五部分翻译 1、 在美国,每年在家、工作单位、学校、娱乐和旅游中发生事故而伤亡的人数超过了越战 中的伤亡人数。 2、20 世纪 90 年代早期,机动车事故造成的死亡人数大约是全部事故死亡人数的一半。 3、发生事故的其他主要原因是跌倒(坠落)、火灾和中毒。 4、在世界范围内,与机动车有关的事故是造成事故死亡的主要原因,其次是工厂和家庭中发 生的事故。 5、为减少和消除事故隐患做出的努力称为安全措施。 6、安全在世界上越来越受到关注,现在人们比以往更重视安全技能。13 7、人们认识到安全技能是可以学到的,而多数安全专家则认为,大多数事故是可以预测并采 取措施加以预防。 8、所提出的这些措施远没达到需要的目标。 9、大部分事故由于无知、粗心、疏忽或技能缺失所致。 第六部分 写作(省略)2007 年在职攻读硕士学位全国联考英语试题 Paper One14 Dialogue Communication (15 minutes, 15 points} Part I Dialogue Communication Section A Dialogue Completion Directions: In this section, you will read 5 short incomplete dialogues between two speakers, each followed by four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the answer that best suits the situation to complete the dialogue. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 1. Speaker A: I'd like to arrange a meeting to discuss our new plan. Are you free tomorrow? Speaker B: __ A. I couldn't agree more. B. I'm quite sure of it. C. If only I hadn't had a prior engagement. D. I'm afraid I'm not available until Friday. 2. Speaker A: Professor Lee, can I come to see you about my presentation this evening? Speaker B: __ A. Yes. Is 8 o'clock a convenient time? B. Fine. Please come by bus No. 2. C. No. Never mind. D. Oh, That's my pleasure. 3. Speaker A: Thank you so much for the wonderful dinner. Tom and I really enjoyed it. Speaker B: __ A. I'm glad you made it. B. You're quite welcome C. I like share with others. D. You’re always best friends. 4. Speaker A: Well, I have to get back to the office now. It’s been really nice talking to you. Speaker B: ____ See you. A. Glad to meet you. B. Nice talking to you. C. I'll be right back. D. You shouldn't leave. 5. Speaker A: I'm afraid I failed the math exam. Speaker B: ,it's not really that had, is it? A. Oh, yeah B. No wonder C. There now D. No good Section B Dialogue Comprehension Detritions: In this section, you will read 5 short conversations between a man and a woman.At the end of each conversation there is a question followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose thebest answer to the question from the four choices given and mark your answer onthe ANSWER SHEETwith a single line through the center. 6. Man: David really has an eye for beauty. Woman: You can say that again.15 Question: What does the woman mean? A. David has good eyesight. B. She agrees with the man. C. The man should praise David more D. The man has said too much about David. 7. Man: Why do you want to move out? You really have a happy life. I do envy you. Woman: You don't know that I have been over-protected by my mother these years. I want to spread my own wings. Question: What does the woman mean? A. She doesn't love her mother. B. She wants to be independent. C. She actually envies the man. D. She doesn't like family life. 8. Woman: Bill, I want to have a few words with you about your performance in class lately. Man: I know I've gone down. I just haven't been studying as much as I ought to. Question: What is Bill's problem? A. He doesn't like to perform in class. B. He doesn't work hard enough. C. He has gone away lately. D. He feels depressed. 9. Woman: Are you prepared for the exam tomorrow? Man: Oh, yeah, the exam will be a piece of cake. Question: What does the man mean? A. The woman should take the exam. B. The woman shouldn't be concerned. C. He is not worried about the exam D. He enjoys taking exams. 10. Man: Are you sure Bob and Tim will come to help today? Woman: No problem. They're men of their words. Question: What does the woman want to tell the man? A:Bob and Tim will keep their promise. B. Bob and Tim are good speakers. C: Bob and Tim will be on the woman's side. D. Bob and Time are very helpful. Part ⅡVocabulary and Structure (20 minutes, 10 points) Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are 4choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 11. We debated the advantages and disadvantages of filming famous works_____intended for the theater. A. absolutely B. conventionally C. regularly D. originally 12. He said that the medicine the doctor gave him brought to his headache. A. retreat B. recovery C. relief D. relaxation 13. Sociologists have long recognized that social tensions are __ elements of group life. A. average B. routine C. normal D. standard16 14. In the National Zoo we can find __ animals that range from large beasts to small birds. A. a species of B. a group of C. a variety of D. an amount of 15. Mary had taken pains to __ that her guests had everything they could possibly want. A. see B. know C. feel D. learn 16. Most people in the business world were told when they began their careers, not to let their resume ____ one page. A. expand B. exceed C. expose D. extend 17. A reply will be sent within the next few days along with ____ apology. A. an honest B. an innocent C. a generous D. a sincere 18. The destruction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could A. keep up with B. stand up for C. put up with D. make up for 19. Long-term use of the drug can __ the patient's personality. A. alter B. switch C. exchange D. substitute 20. The volleyball team has had five __ victories in the last three years. A. successive B. excessive C. subsequent D. eventual 21. A series of attempts __ made, he came to a successful solution of the problem. A. to be B. had been C. were D. having been 22. Manufacturing is Canada's most important economic activity, 17 percent of the workforce. A. to engage B. being engaged C. engaging D. engaged 23. Her remarks left me wondering __ she could have changed so suddenly. A. when B. how C. whether D. what 24. Caroline could do__but leave although she would have liked to stay and continue talking with him. A. something B. anything C. everything D. nothing 25. The boy regretted having spent so much time playing when he A. should have studied B. had studied C. was to study D. must study 26. It was during the morning rush hour ____ the bomb exploded. A. that B. when C. while D. before 27. I've attached my contact information in the recommendation letter__ you have further questions. A. for good B. in order C. for fear D. in case 28. The boss realized the importance of qualified staff, and urged all __ to participate in the training seminar. A. concerning B. the concerning C. concerned D. the concerned 29. As computer systems become even more sophisticated, the methods of those who exploit the technology. A. so too do B. as well as C. likewise D. therefore 30.I was annoyed by my friend who came late for our appointment but did not17 bother to ask how long I . A. waited B. was waitingC. have waitedD. had been waitingPart Ⅲ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes, 40 points) Directions: There are 4 passages in this part. Each of the passage is followed by 5 questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. Passage One &Clean your plate!& and &Be a member of the clean-plate club!& Just about every kid in the US has heard this from a parent or grandparent. Often, it's accompanied by an appeal: “Just think about those starving orphans (孤儿) in Africa!& Sure, we should be grateful for every bite of food. Unfortunately, many people in the US take a few too many bites. Instead of saying &clean the plate&, perhaps we should save some food for tomorrow. According to news reports, US restaurants are partly to blame for the growing bellies (肚子). A waiter puts a plate of food in front of each customer, with two to four times the amount recommended by the government, according to a USA Today story. Americans traditionally associate quantity with value and most restaurants try to give them that. They serve large portions to stand apart from competitors and to give the customers value. They prefer to have customers complain about too much food rather than too little. Barbara Rolls, a nutrition professor at Pennsylvania State University, told USA Today that restaurant portion sizes began to grow in the 1970s; the same time that the American waistline began to expand. Health experts have tried to get many restaurants to serve smaller portions. Now, apparently, some customers are calling for this too. A restaurant industry trade magazine reported lager month that 57 percent of more than 4 000 people surveyed believed restaurants serve portion 23 pe20 percent disagreed. But a closer look at the survey indicates that many Americans who can't afford fine dining still prefer large portions. Seventy percent of those earning at least $150 000 per year prefer smaller portions. But only 45 percent of those earning less than $ 25 000 want smaller. It's not that working class Americans don't want to eat healthy. It's just that after long hours at low-paying jobs, getting less on their plate hardly seems like a good deal. They live from paycheck to paycheck, happy to save a little money for next year's Christmas presents. 31. By saying” Be a member of the clean-plate-club!&(Para. 1) a parent or grandparent is asking the children to18 A. wash dishes after meals B. eat all the food on their plate C. save food for the starving Africans D. reserve food for the future 32. According to news reports, US restaurants A. are partly responsible for the overweight problem B. ignore the government regulations on food amount C. serve two to four times the amount the customers want D. are partly to blame for the waste of food in America 33. US restaurants provide large portions of food because A. Almost customers are calling for that B. they want to win in severe competition C. the American waistline in expanding D. it is the regulation of the restaurant industry 34. According to the passage, working class Americans dining in restaurants A. eat less to save money B. get less on their plate C. want to get their money's value back D. do not care about their health 35. A proper title of the passage is __ A. Why Restaurants Serve Large Portions B. Income and Food Portion Sizes C. Clean Your Plate D. Less Food on the Plate Is Healthier Passage Two It's a typical Snoopy card: cheerful message, bright colors, though a little yellow and faded now. Though I've received fancier, more expensive card over the years, this is the only one I've saved. One summer, it spoke volumes to me I received it during the first June I faced as a widow to raise two teenage daughters alone. In all the emotional confusion of this sudden single parenthood, I was overwhelmed with, of all things, the simplest housework: leaky taps, oil changes, even barbeques(烧烤).Those had always been my husband's jobs. I was embarrassed every time I hit my thumb with a hammer or couldn't get the lawnmower(割草机) started. My uncertain attempts only fueled the fear inside me: How could I be both a father and mother to my girls? Clearly, I lacked the tools and skills. On this particular morning, my girls pushed me into the living room to see something. (I prayed it wasn't another repair job.) The &something& turned out to be an envelope and several wrapped bundles on the carpet. My puzzlement must have been plain as I gazed from the colorful packages to my daughters' bright faces. &Go ahead! Open them!&They urged. As I unwrapped the packages, I discovered a small barbecue grill (烧烤架) and all the necessary objects including a green kitchen glove with a frog pattern on it. &But why?& I asked. &Happy Father's Day]& they shouted together. &Moms don't get presents on Father's Day. ' I protested. &You forgot to open the card. ' Jane reminded. I pulled it from the envelope. There sat Snoopy, on top of his dog house, merrily wishing me a Happy Father's19 Day. &Because,& the girls said, &you've been a father and mother to us. Why shouldn't you be remembered on Father's Day?& As I fought back tears, I realized they were right, I wanted to be a &professional& dad, who had the latest tools and knew all the tricks of the trade. The girls only wanted a parent they could count on to be there, day after day, performing repeatedly the maintenance tasks of basic care and love. The girls are grown now, and they still send me Father's Day cards, but none of those cards means as much to me as that first one. Its simple message told me being a great parent didn't require any special tools at all--just a willing worker. 36. By &it spoke volumes to me&, (Par& 1) the mother in the story means the card __ A. conveyed significant meanings to her B. aroused great sorrow in her C. brought her pleasant feelings D. made her feel important 37. After her husband's death, the mother found it was the hardest to A. handle the emotional shock B. face the terrible loneliness C. keep harmony of the family D. fulfill a male role in the house 38. What puzzled the mother when her daughter asked her to see something one morning? A. It was not another repair job this time. B. Both of her daughters looked excited. C. She got gifts at that time of the year. D. The bundles on the floor were wrapped. 39. The girls gave their mother a barbecue set probably because A. it was what their mother wanted B. it was a proper Father's Day gift C. barbecue was their favorite food D. they wanted their mother to barbecue 40. Which of the following statements is true about the first Father's Day card? A. It made the mother eager to get the latest tools. B. It praised the mother as a professional dad. C. Its fancy design impressed the mother most. D. It showed the girls' appreciation for their mother's love. Passage Three When foreigners are sometimes asked what seems most strange about American society, somewhere on the top of the list will be the fact the average citizen is allowed to possess guns. Although it is true that many people carry guns legally in the United States, it is also known that many who possess guns carry illegally. Others, who don't have guns, feel that guns can be acquired quite easily. A recent survey indicated that many high school students, especially in the inner cities, can acquire gun with little difficulty. Although most people would never want to own a gun, others have taken up hunting as a sport and enjoy hunting wild game in season Hunting for deer add20 duck in fall and winter is very much a part of the American culture Also, some farmers in rural areas who raise cattle and sheep feel they need to protect their animals against wolves that attack their herds and flocks at night. To defend and support their rights to possess firearms the National Rifle Association (NRA) was founded in 1871. The main importance of this organization has been its efforts to prevent strict gun control legislation. The NRA has great political support in small towns and rural areas, especially in the West and the South, where hunting is especially popular. Those who favor the right to possess guns insist that the Constitution provides the right of people &to keep and bear arms&. They believe that gun control laws will not solve the problem of crime and violence in America. Recent events in America, however, have shown that the question of gun possession is now out of control and strong voices have called for immediate action to be taken. In seemingly peaceful schools students have gone into classrooms and opened fire upon their classmates. America has been shocked by such incidents which seem to occur with greater frequency. The periodic deaths of innocent citizens and even foreign visitors from guns have forced legislators to pass laws to stop these senseless killings. The day may not be far off when America will be transformed from a gun culture to one which controls their use and possession. 41. What is most unusual about American society? A. Many Americans acquire guns illegally. B.Ordinary people can possess guns legally. C. The average citizen does not try to possess guns. D. Many school children carry guns legally. 42. Some Americans defend their possession of guns by arguing that ____. A. deer and duck reproduce too quickly in the country B. herds and flocks bother farmer at night C. hunting is part of the American way of life D. wolves threaten people's lives in rural areas 43. The National Rifle Association was established to ____. A. help strengthen gun control laws B. unite people who possess guns C. defend Americans' right to possess guns D. solve the problem of crime and violence 44. Gun possession has become a hot issue in the US because it is ____. A. gathering political support B. becoming increasingly restricted C. threatening endangered species D. causing serious problems 45. The author's attitude towards the US gun culture is____. A. positive B. negative C. indifferent21 D. neutral Passage Four Emotion is a feeling about or reaction to certain important events or thoughts. People enjoy feeling such pleasant emotions as love, happiness, and contentment. They often try to avoid feeling unpleasant emotions, such as loneliness, worry, and grief. Individuals communicate most of their emotions by means of words, a variety of sounds, facial expressions, and gestures. For example, anger causes many people to frown, make a fist, and yell. People learn ways of showing some of their emotions from members of their society, though heredity (遗传) may determine some emotional behavior. Research has shown that different isolated peoples show emotions by means of similar facial expressions. Charles Darwin, famous for the theory of natural selection, also studied emotion. Darwin said in 1872 that emotional behavior originally served both as an aid to survival and as a method of communicating intentions. According to the James-Lange theory of emotions developed in the 1880s, people feel emotions only if aware of their own internal physical reactions to events, such as increased heart rate or blood pressure. But this theory was not upheld by research on cats that had their nervous systems damaged. The cats could not feel their body's internal changes, but they showed normal emotional behavior. John B. Watson, an American psychologist who helped found the school of psychology called behaviorism, observed that babies stimulated by certain events showed three basic emotions--fear, anger, and love. Watson's view has been challenged frequently since he proposed it in 1919. The most widely accepted view is that emotions occur as a complex sequence of events. The sequence begins when a person encounters an important event or thought. The person's interpretation of the encounter determines the feeling that is likely to follow. For example, someone who encounters a bear in the woods would probably interpret the event as dangerous. The sense of danger would cause the individual to feel fear. Each feeling is followed by physical changes and desires to take action, which are responses to the event that started the sequence. Thus, a person who met a bear would probably run away. Several American psychologists independently developed the theory that there are eight basic emotions. These emotions--which can exist at various levels of intensity--are anger, fear, joy, sadness, acceptance, disgusts, surprise, and interest or curiosity. They combine to form all other emotions, just as certain basic colors produce all others. 46. It can be inferred from the second paragraph that those who are born blind ____ A. have emotions different from those of sighted persons B. have some facial expression like those of sighted persons C. depend only on words to express their feelings22 D. seldom communicate with other people by means of gestures 47. The James-Lange theory of emotions ____ A. overlooked internal physical reactions B. exaggerated the function of stimulating events C. faced a challenge from counter evidence D. offered a narrow interpretation of emotions 48. In the sequence of events for emotions to occur, which is next to the encounter of an important event? A. Interpretation made. B. Responses produced. C. Feeling stimulated. Action taken. 49. Emotions are compared to colors because____. A. they are classified in a similar way B. they have the same influence on people's life C. both of them may take on different forms D. both of them may have basic elements mixed in them 50. The main purpose of this writing is to ____. A. arouse readers' interest in emotional behaviors B. help readers enjoy pleasant emotions C. outline the development of theories about emotions D. analyze various emotions and physical changesD.Part Ⅳ Cloze Test (15 minutes,10 points) Directions: There are 10 blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. One of the most convenient and cheapest ways to see America is by riding a Greyhound bus. This interstate bus system connects all major cities in the United States, 51 people with frequent and convenient service. The bus system even has an international service 52 makes connection with cities in Canada and Mexico. Its network even extends to some of the smaller towns and out-of-the-way communities 53 the great interior of the country. Traveling by bus may 54 longer than flying by plane, but the terminals are located in the center of most cities and there is 55 to the downtown area. These buses are comfortable and air-conditioned, They are all equipped with toilets in the rear to 56 the convenience of the passengers, but there are some very severe 57of conduct which are strictly enforced. On all buses 58 is forbidden and the consumption of alcoholic drinks is not allowed. 59 bus travel may not be suited to everyone's taste, it affords budget travelers the 60 to see America in comfort and safety and at a leisurely unhurried pace. 5I. A. giving B. providing C. offering D. favoring23 52. A. what 53. A. for 54. A. spend 55. A. easy access approach 56. A. keep up 57. A. terms 58. A. smoking 59. A. As 60. A. moneyB. which B. along B. use B. fast way B. result in B. rules B. to smoke B. Whether B. chanceC. who C. in C. consume C. short path C. add to C. clauses C. smoke C. However C. timeD. such D. from D. take D. direct D. look after D. points D. smoker D. Although D. occasionPaper Two Part V Translation (30 minutes,10 points) Directions: Translate the following passage into Chinese and put your translation on the ANSWER SHEET. Getting a proper amount of rest is absolutely essential for building your energy resources. If you frequently work far into the night or have a poor sleep, it stands to reason that you may start to feel a little run down. Though everybody is different, most people need at least seven to eight hours of sleep per night in order to function at their best. If you have been lacking energy, try going to bed earlier at night. If you can wake up feeling well-rested, it will be an indication that you are starting to get an appropriate amount of sleep at night. If you sleep more than eight hours every night but still don't feel energetic, you may actually be getting too much sleep. Once in while, you are bound to have nights where you don't get an adequate amount of sleep. When your schedule permits you can also consider taking a short sleep during the day, for sometimes taking a nap is the perfect way to recharge your batteries. Part Ⅵ Writing (30 minutes,15 points) Directions: You are to write in no less than 120 words on the topic” Entering College: Help the Needy Youngsters to Achieve Their Dreams'. Your composition should be based on the Chinese clues given below. 中央电视台“圆梦行动”的公益节目旨在动员社会力量捐助贫困学子圆大学之梦。你的 作文可以: 1)对贫困学于是否应受到捐助发表你的看法; 或者 2)举一个贫困学子需要帮助的例子。24 2007 年在职英语答案 Part I Dialogue Communication 1-10.DABBCBBBCA PartⅡVocabulary and Structure 11-20.DCBCABDDAA 21-30 DCBDAADCAD PartⅡ Reading Comprehension 31-40.BABCDCADCBD 41-50BCCDDBCADC PartⅣ Close 51-60.BBCDACAADB PartⅤTranslation 参考译文 获得适量的休息对于积聚你的体能而言是绝对必要的.如果你经常工作到深夜或 者睡眠不佳,那说明你可能开始感到有点疲乏。尽管因人而异,绝大多数人每晚需要至少 7~8 小时的睡眠,身体功能才会最佳。 如果你一直缺乏精力,请尝试晚上早些就寝.如果你醒来时感到休息得很好,这说明你夜间 的睡眠量已开始正常.如果你每晚的睡眠超过 8 小时,仍然不能感到精力充沛,实际上你可 能睡眠过量了. 你注定偶尔会有睡眠不足之夜。当你的作息时间允许时,你也可以考虑白天小睡,因为有时 小睡片刻是为你的体能(电池)“再充电”的最佳方式. PartⅥ Writing 参考范文: Entering College: Help the Needy Youngsters to Achieve Their Dreams Though great importance is attached to public education, many qualified students in poverty-stricken regions fail to enter university due to economic reasons. These students are generally from the least developed part of our country. Only higher education can change their fate: they will be otherwise just like their forefathers toiling in the fields day after day and seeing no future, which simply means the whole region will be stuck in a vicious circle and its further development will be impossible. If the needy youngsters are to get support from the society, the whole situation will be different. In universities, they will have access to more information and advanced technology. Consequently, they can equip themselves with innovative creativity and adequate skills to serve their hometown and to return the support they benefit from the society.2007 年在职英语答案25 答案: 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25 26-30 31-35 36-40 41-45 46-50 51-55 56-60 BDAAD BCAAA CBAAD ACBBA BCCCA DDDBB BADCC CBAAC BCADA BDCCA AAABB AACCB绝密★启用前26 2008 年在职攻读硕士学位全国联考 外国语水平考试 英语试卷APaper One Part I Dialogue Communication (15 minutes, 15 points) Section A Dialogue Completion Directions: In this section, you will read five short incomplete dialogues between two speakers, each followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the answer that best suits the situation to complete the dialogue. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 1. Speaker A: Here's a gift for you. I bought it in China. Speaker B: ____________ A. How much did it cost? B. Wow, it is great! Thank you. C. It must be very expensive. D. Sorry to have bothered you. 2. Speaker A: Can you tell me something about your company? Speaker B: ______________ Our company was established in 1953. We produce a wide variety of electronic equipment. A. I am glad. B. Good idea. C. You are welcome. D. My pleasure. 3. Speaker A: Aren't you excited about your new job? Speaker B: ____________ but it's too demanding. A. It's OK. B. I am fine. C. Sure I am. D. I think so. 4. Speaker A: I've just been reading through your last project. Speaker B: _____________ I hope you didn't find much wrong in it. Speaker A: you’ve done a fantastic job. A. On the contrary B. On the other hand C. Don't forget D. Don't be silly 5. Speaker A: Could you pass me the jobs page? Speaker B: _________ A. What's the matter with you? B. Why should I? C. You don't have to ask. D. Sure, here you are. Section B Dialogue Comprehension Directions: In this section, you will read five short conversations between a man and a woman. At the end of each conversation there is a question followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer to the question from the four choices given and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 6. Man: Jennifer is really pretty, isn't she? Her skin looks so baby smooth! Woman: Well, It's just that she puts lots of make-up on her face. Actually, natural beauty comes from within. Man: Ah, I can smell jealousy in the air! Question: What does the man imply? A. The woman looks ugly. B. The woman had a bitter feeling. C. The woman should apologize.27 D. The woman was upset. 7. Man: My father can do cooking, carpentry, and a bit of gardening. Woman: He's a Jack of all trades, really. Question: What does the woman mean? A. The man's father has talent in trade. B. The man's father works for Jack. C. The man's father has many different skills. D. The man's father does many jobs at the same time. 8. Woman: I want to try something in the project. What's your opinion? Man: Great, I prefer to go by the book. At least it is safer, isn't it? Question: What does the man suggest? A. Strictly obeying the established rules. B. Trying something new from the book. C. Testing a new but safer method. D. Learning a new method through practice. 9. Man: The competition is increasingly fierce. What shall we do next? Woman: If other companies lower their prices, we'll have to follow suit. Question: What does the woman suggest? A. Doing the same as other companies have done. B. Producing the same suits as other companies. C. Fighting against others by cutting down the cost. D. Working out other policies to compensate for the loss. 10. Woman: I'm upset. You told my boss I had a part-time job? Man: I am sorry. I couldn't help it. Question: What does the man mean? A. He couldn't help the woman at all. B. He couldn't hold back the secret. C. He couldn't possibly tell the boss. D. He couldn't decide who told the boss. Part Ⅱ Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes,10 points) Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. 11. According to the Constitution, any national agreement has to be ____________ by a two-thirds majority in parliament. A. approached B. appointed C. approved D. appreciated 12. The issue of e-commerce did not ____________ any detailed discussions at the conference. A. take delight in B. give rise to C. give way to D. take advantage of 13. Can you ___________ an insect having eight eyes and still having poor eyesight? A. imagine B. suppose C. think D. expect 14. Fingerprints form an unchangeable despite changes in the individual's appearance or age. A. mark B. sign C. remark D. signature28 15. I think their plan will work, but they themselves are very__________ about it. A. certain B. suspicious C. confident D. doubtful 16. His failure to pay his debts ___________ their opinion that he was not to be trusted. A. confirmed B. checked C. convinced D. tested 17. Our government strongly holds the principle we will __________ be the first to use nuclear weapons. A. by any means B. by all means C. by no means D. by every means 18. The two soldiers spent many years together, fighting ___________ and sharing their victories and disappointments. A. face to face B. side by side C. back to back D. step by step 19. Being aware of the potential objections, they launched a ___________ reform at the beginning stage. A. humble B. modest C. timid D. middle 20. The union threatened a strike but called it __________ at the last minute. A. off B. out C. back D. up 21. A new material ____________ we have good reason to be optimistic. A. developed B. being developed C. was being developed D. was developed 22. It is illegal in some countries that children __________ unattended at home. A. be left B. left C. are leaving D. being left 23. On the huge board in the main hall of the airport, you can easily find the different destinations ___________ which airlines can take you. A. in B. of C. to D. by 24. Not until actually faced with water scarcity ____________ appreciate the value of water to a region. A. one can B. one cannot C. can one D. cannot one 25. Most people don't think of a stamp as a receipt, but that is ___________ really is a proof of just how much money you paid in advance for mail delivery. A. what B. why C. how D. who 26. Without water from the Nile River, Egypt ____________ a farming country and become a desert. A. will cease to be B. would cease to be C. will cease being D. would cease being 27. Although he refused to act on my suggestion, he had to admit that ____________ what I said. A. it was something in B. there was something as C. it was something as D. there was something in 28. There is little, _____________, farming in that area and all you can see is miles of wild countryside. A. if so B. if such C. if not D. if any 29. In his lecture, the education expert emphasized the fact that nowadays children are exposed to many influences ___________ that of their families. A. rather than B. other than C. except for D. but for 30. The singer on the stage has a young _____________ face and a voice of an A. boy... angel B. boy's... angel C. boy... angel's D. boy's... angel's29 Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes, 40 points) Directions: There are four passages in this part. Each of the passages is followed by five questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center. Passage One When I saw the notice &women film extras wanted& in a local newspaper, I jumped at the chance. Since childhood, I had dreamt of being a film star. The casting interview went well, and two days later I was told that I had been chosen. I was to lose some of my enthusiasm for the idea, however. Extras are often left in the dark for some time as to which role they will play. Finally the nature of my role was revealed: I was asked to play a mental hospital patient. Despite my disappointment, I agreed to participate. Then, barely a week later, the day of filming dawned. All 13 of us extras, mainly housewives, were driven to an old hospital. The coffee and tea they served us looked and tasted like cement. Then we were rushed off to make-up. My hair was pinned back and make-up was applied that give me a pale appearance. Then we just sat in a minibus for a few hours, as the cameras rolled elsewhere. After the second hour had passed I was becoming bored. I bet stars are never treated like this, I thought. I had expected to be so busy that I hadn't come prepared for a long wait. Many of the others had brought a book or knitting. Three hours had now passed. Then at last we were called to do our scenes. When the director came in, we were instructed where to stand and what to do. Along with a few others, I was told to sit at a table and weave baskets. This was not all easy task. The cane ( 藤 条 ) we had to use was very long. On several occasions my basket fell apart in front of my very eye. On others I only succeeded in hitting a cameraman in the eye. Life for the other extras was far from easy. Jean, who was barefoot, had to circle the floor. Poor Alice was asked to pretend to bang her head against the wall. Meanwhile Veronica swept the floor. Thankfully, after just a few attempts, the scenes were done. And so my first taste of this &glorious& career was over. Although I found the experience quite interesting, my first screen role will almost certainly be my last. 31. The word &extras” used in this story means people who _____________. A. have little experience of acting B. play unimportant parts in a film C. pretend to be film stars D. need a part-time job 32. According to story, which of the following statements is true about the author? A. She didn't refuse the role assigned to her although she didn't like it. B. She understood clearly that most film stars used to be extras. C. Unlike other women who were reading or knitting, she was busy with her scene. D. The only thing she did well was to use the cane as weapon. 33. Alice, one of the 13 women extras, was probably playing the role of ____________. A. a doctor working in the mental hospital30 B. a nurse who was helping her patients C. another housewife busy with her work D. another patient with mental problem 34. For the author, the first experience of acting in a film was ____________. A. almost an adventure B. a real nightmare C. quite unpleasant D. very inspiring 35. The best title for this story could be____________. A. On Camera B. In Fashion C. A Fancy Dream D. A Great Career Passage Two Some of the most popular attractions across America are the many free concerts offered to public throughout the year. These involve not only amateur performers, but professional artists as well. The public parks of many cities across the country usually have bandstands and large lawns. As a service to citizens, they rent out space to performers free of charge. Amateur groups, with nothing more than a desire to perform offer their talents freely to public. Semiprofessional artists are pleased to get the chance to perform before the public to perfect their craft and nurture the hope of being discovered before beginning a professional career. Famous professionals also give free concerts to make contact with their admiring fans. Often such concerts are sponsored by a large corporate organization and offered to the public free of charge as a cultural service and support for the arts. The free concerts feature all kinds of music from rock and roll, jazz, country, western to the classics. In addition, free performances may include the plays of Shakespeare or experimental theatre of modern dramatists. In New York's Central Park there has long been a summer Shakespeare festival which draws huge crowds to the free performances. Of these concerts the ones held on a summer evening in the park are the most popular. They take on a festive air. Friends and groups gather together after work and spread out a blanket on the lawn facing the performers' stage. The early comers get the best locations and enjoy a picnic supper while it is still daylight. The free seating is on a first come basis. Therefore, by the time the concert begins, as many as five thousand or more people may be in attendance. The concerts usually begin at 8 p. m and are performed under the stars. The sound is made sufficiently loud so that no matter where one chooses to sit, he can hear very well. The only disturbance may be the sound of an overhead airplane on its final approach to an airport or the far-off siren (警笛声) of an ambulance on its way to the hospital. This matters little! What counts is to soak up the atmosphere created by the music and to be with friends in the fresh open air. The best part of it all is that it's free! 36. Many American parks give free concerts on their lawns because they _____________. A. have the necessary facilities B. call attract more visitors C. want to serve the public D. are in a position to invite musicians 37. The concerts in parks are often financially supported by ___________.31 A. the parks themselves B. big organizations C. professional musicians D. musicians. 38. For semi-professional artists, performing before the public is a good chance ___________. A. to improve themselves in their career B. to help train amateur performers C. to make friends with superstars D. to get involved in profitable business 39. The concerts can attract so many people mainly because _____________. A. the attendants don't have to pay. B. the seating is on a first come basis C. they provide free picnic supper D. they are held in open air 40. The phrase &soak up& in the last paragraph probably means ____________. A. absorb B. warm up C. enjoy D. use up Passage Three Libraries form a vital part of the world's systems of communication and education. They make available knowledge accumulated through the ages. People in all walks of life use library resources in their work. People also turn to libraries to satisfy a desire for knowledge or to obtain material for leisuretime activity. In addition, many people enjoy book discussions, concerts, film programs, lectures, story hours, and a variety of other activities provided by libraries. Libraries also play an important role in preserving a society's cultural heritage ( 遗 产 ). The library ranks as one of society's most useful service institutions. The contents of libraries have changed so much through the years that the word library itself is, in a sense, inaccurate. The word comes from the Latin word liber, which means book. Today's libraries house many books, of course. However, they also have a wide variety of other materials that communicate, educate, and entertain. These materials include magazines, manuscripts ( 手 稿 ), newspapers, and computer documents. Audio and visual materials include CDs, audiocassette tapes, videotapes, films, maps, paintings, and photographs. In addition to regular books, a library may have large-type books, books for the blind, and tape recordings of books, called talking books. Librarians keep pace with the changing contents of libraries to serve as many people as possible. Their efforts have turned libraries into multimedia resource centers. The expansion of library contents greatly increases the library's ability to communicate and educate. For example, people interested ill classical music can listen to CDs and read books on the topics. Students of agriculture call read magazines and watch videotapes on farming methods. Many people use magazines and newspapers to find the most up-to-date material on current events. In addition to expanding contents, librarians have developed many kinds of libraries to serge the needs of dif

我要回帖

更多关于 百度删了回复还能看到 的文章

随机推荐