hhow to know a personn he is now lucky

当前位置: &
求翻译:now you are doing a mistake .. listen he is a lucky person that he has a good siater like you . look at me i have a sister too we also used to fight with each other but
told me that she will not forgive me but she tried to change me ..
you have to help
him out .. its the time
other wise he will
a changed person for ever and you will not get him back .. believe me
dear是什么意思?
now you are doing a mistake .. listen he is a lucky person that he has a good siater like you . look at me i have a sister too we also used to fight with each other but
told me that she will not forgive me but she tried to change me ..
you have to help
him out .. its the time
other wise he will
a changed person for ever and you will not get him back .. believe me
问题补充:
现在你在做一个错误...他是一个幸运的人,他有像你这样的好 siater 听着。看看我有妹妹过我们还用来互相打架,但她永远不会告诉我她不会原谅我,但她试图改变我...你要帮他摆脱困境...其其他他将永远改变了的人的聪明,你将不能使他的时间回...相信我亲爱
我来回答:
参考资料:
* 验证码:
登录后回答可以获得积分奖励,并可以查看和管理所有的回答。 |
我要翻译和提问
请输入您需要翻译的文本!大学英语四听说文本 - xy2401 - 博客园
随笔 - 19, 文章 - 0, 评论 - 0, 引用 - 0
--------------------说明--------------------------------
假设光盘目录为F://&
听力的文本数据库目录:F:\lib\data.mdb
打开方式:Access
打开密码:natasha
包含听力的全部文本,以及对应音频的名字
音频所在目录:F:\snd
u05_2.1_1n.mp3
u05_2.1_1s.mp3
文件名说明
u+单元+第几部分+第几题&
一个单元有5部分的,每部分各有若题
n&normal 正常语速
s&slow 慢语速
------------------------------------------------------
IDUNITTESTIDTitleScriptScript_SndQuesQues_SndAns1Ans2Ans3Ans4Corr
Do You Like to Be Famous?
M: You're telling me that you'd rather be famous than be respected as a good person?^W: Well, I don't know. It's just that I see all these famous people on TV, and, well, it's hard not to want the same thing for myself -- attention, love from millions of people...^M: Love? Do you think people actually love celebrities? I don't think so! The public enjoys watching famous people get into trouble even more than they like watching them succeed. Besides, being a famous person means never having time to yourself -- appearing before crowds, having people follow you around 24-7. Believe me, it isn't fun.^W: You talk as if you know something about celebrity. Were you ever famous?^M: You know the old saying, "Everyone has his 15 minutes of fame"? Well, I expect to have my 15 minutes someday. But I don't expect to like it.
The man envies the lives of famous people that he sees on TV.^Generally, audiences like watching celebrities experience hardships.^The man has appeared on television for 15 minutes.
Do You Like to Be Famous?
M: You're telling me that you'd rather be famous than be respected as a good person?^W: Well, I don't know. It's just that I see all these famous people on TV, and, well, it's hard not to want the same thing for myself -- attention, love from millions of people...^M: Love? Do you think people actually love celebrities? I don't think so! The public enjoys watching famous people get into trouble even more than they like watching them succeed. Besides, being a famous person means never having time to yourself -- appearing before crowds, having people follow you around 24-7. Believe me, it isn't fun.^W: You talk as if you know something about celebrity. Were you ever famous?^M: You know the old saying, "Everyone has his 15 minutes of fame"? Well, I expect to have my 15 minutes someday. But I don't expect to like it.
Do you prefer to be famous or just be yourself? Give your reasons.Do you know the bad sides of being famous? Describe it.
Were You Ever Famous?
W: You don't really seem interested in painting pictures, so why did you apply to this art program?^M: To be honest, I thought that through art, I could become famous. Pretty stupid, huh?^Q: What can be inferred from this conversation?
u01_2.1_1.mp3
A) The man has come to a new understanding.
B) The man has not painted any pictures yet.
C) The woman is famous for painting pictures.
D) The woman has not accepted the man's application.
W: You have everything you ever wanted! But why do you look so blue?^M: Ah, man, I discovered that all those things -- money, fame, and the lot -- are all empty. And in trying to get them, I ignored my art.^Q: Why is the man not happy?
u01_2.1_2.mp3
A) He created art that is ignored by people.
B) He does not have money and fame.
C) He is not satisfied with his work as an artist.
D) He has not achieved everything he ever wanted.
W: Hey, Marty. What's the matter, pal? When you first started writing, you did so much better work. Are you bored or something?^M: I know my work is suffering, but I don't know the reason. I don't seem so interested anymore. Maybe, as you said, I am bored. Who knows?^Q: What are the speakers talking about?
u01_2.1_3.mp3
A) The man starting in the writing business.
B) The man having problems with his writing.
C) The man finding something to keep from being bored.
D) The man suffering for a reason he isn't sure of.
W: Is it true what they say about the director? Does he really work for art, not for fame?^M: That's what people say, and I'm inclined to believe them. He certainly hasn't sold out to the cheap film companies.^Q: What can be inferred from the conversation?
u01_2.1_4.mp3
A) The man is rarely inclined to believe others.
B) The speakers do not know much about the director.
C) The director does not sell his art to the public.
D) The woman really works for art rather than fame.
W: What's on the schedule for tonight's show? Something I'm likely to enjoy?^M: You might like it -- a story about a dancer who sells his soul to become famous and then loses his friends, family, and everything important.^Q: What is tonight's show about?
u01_2.1_5.mp3
A) A successful salesman.
B) A man with famous friends.
C) A famous man's family life.
D) A troubled dancer.
W: Isn't that the man who won an Academy Award for his cartoon artwork?^M: What? That tramp? Hey, you know, I think you're right. Man, what happened to him? He was really famous!^Q: What happened to the artist at last?
u01_2.1_6.mp3
A) He drew cartoon artwork.
B) He became a homeless person.
C) He won an Academy Award.
D) He became really famous.
W: Look! Look! Look! Look at me, Dad! I've done it! Success, money, popularity... The world is at the tip of my fingers and I feel like a queen!^M: Sweetheart, I think you need to cool down a bit. Don't let all of this success go to your head.^Q: What has happened to the woman?
u01_2.1_7.mp3
A) She has become a success.
B) She has become a queen.
C) She has cooled down a bit.
D) She has found a new sweetheart.
W: Get a grip on yourself! Don't you dare quit your job! You really think you can succeed as an actor? Do you really think you can become famous?^M: I don't think I need to be famous to succeed. I'm sure I can get work as an extra and then maybe move on to more interesting roles.^Q: What are the speakers talking about?
u01_2.1_8.mp3
A) Quitting a job.
B) Becoming famous.
C) Working as an actor.
D) Getting a simple job.
M: Hey, you! Watch out! Where's your head? Walking in front of cars like that?^W: Huh? Ah! Oh! Sorry, I mean... thanks. I just received word from my agent that my book is to be published. Isn't it wonderful? Sorry I was daydreaming about the fame to come and forgot to look at the traffic.^Q: Where is the conversation taking place?
u01_2.1_9.mp3
A) In a book publishing company.
B) In a car dealer's lot.
C) On a street.
D) In an agent's office.
W: Thanks for coming in. I loved your work, but I wish it looked more like your previous pieces.^M: God! I knew it! Complaints from my teacher, my mother... even my doctor! And now, my boss? Since I became famous, no one will let me change!^Q: What is the relationship between the speakers?
u01_2.1_10.mp3
A) Teacher and student.
B) Doctor and patient.
C) Mother and son.
D) Employer and employee.
Fame or Freedom?
M: There's only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about.^W: That was said by Oscar Wilde, wasn't it?^M: That's right. You're pretty smart.^W: I have my moments. But I'm afraid that I won't remember anything else for your test tomorrow.^M: Well, let's have a run-through. First, what can you remember about Wilde?^W: The basics, obviously -- British, 19th century writer.... He was gay, wasn't he?^M: That's right. And he actually went to jail for it.^W: Why? There must've been many gays in England at the time. Why was he singled out to be put in prison? Or, were the English throwing all gays in jail?^M: No, not everyone. But things were different for Wilde. A famous person, like him, isn't free to do what he likes. People paid more attention to his actions. There were reporters, and everything that he said and did was watched carefully.^W: Yeah? It might've been better for him if he wasn't famous.^M: Maybe. But, then again, if he wasn't well-known, we might not have his wonderful stories today.
u01_2.2.mp3
1. What are the speakers talking about?
u01_2.2q1.mp3
A) Oscar Wilde's fame.
B) 19th century writers.
C) Gays in England.
D) Oscar Wilde's literature works.
2. What did Oscar Wilde say?
u01_2.2q2.mp3
A) Being talked about is the worst thing.
B) Having no one speak about you is the worst thing.
C) Talking about others is the worst thing.
D) There is one thing worse than not talking.
3. What is the probable relationship between the speakers?
u01_2.2q3.mp3
A) Teacher and student.
B) Police officer and citizen.
C) Mother and son.
D) Father and daughter.
4. Why was Oscar Wilde treated differently?
u01_2.2q4.mp3
A) Because he was in jail.
B) Because he was gay.
C) Because he was well-known.
D) Because he was a writer.
5. What can be inferred from the conversation?
u01_2.2q5.mp3
A) The English threw all gays in prison.
B) Fame is both positive and negative.
C) Oscar Wilde paid more attention to his actions.
D) Oscar Wilde watched reporters carefully.
The Dangers of Fame
You young people go crazy over famous people. Will you listen to me when I tell you your generation is wrong about this? Let me use an example to illustrate my point to you.^Marilyn Monroe, you might not even know who she is. Back in my day, when I was your age, she was a big movie star. But she wasn't born a movie star, no sir. She was a simple girl with beauty and innocence until she went to Hollywood to make movies. That's right. Instead of living out a simple life of integrity and hard work or trying to develop a respectable name in her profession, she sought fame. Well, I'll tell you, she got her wish. She made her movies -- All About Eve in 1950, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in 1953, Some Like It Hot in 1959, and more. She got into trouble throughout -- drugs, abuse.... All of this came crashing down on her head, and she died at an early age in 1962. Sad, really.^I hope that this example shows you the dangers of fame. Believe me, it's best just to live a simple life.
u01_2.3.mp3
1. What is the speaker talking about?
u01_2.3q1.mp3
A) A lesson we can learn from Monroe's life.
B) The ways people become big movie stars.
C) A simple life of integrity and hard work.
D) The movies of Marilyn Monroe.
2. What is TRUE according to what you hear?
u01_2.3q2.mp3
A) The speaker is an old person.
B) The speaker had beauty and innocence.
C) Marilyn Monroe worked hard in Hollywood.
D) Marilyn Monroe lived out a simple life.
3. Why did Monroe go to Hollywood?
u01_2.3q3.mp3
A) To build on her name.
B) To develop integrity.
C) To work hard.
D) To be in films.
4. When was Some Like It Hot made?
u01_2.3q4.mp3
A) In 1950.
B) In 1959.
C) In 1953.
D) In 1962.
5. Why is the speaker telling this story?
u01_2.3q5.mp3
A) To warn people about drugs.
B) To warn people about movies.
C) To warn people about fame.
D) To warn people about Monroe.
The Wedding of the Century
It was the royal wedding we remember best of all. Twenty-five years ago tomorrow, Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer in London's St. Paul's Cathedral. CBS News correspondent Randall Pinkston looks back to a perfect day which didn't turn out happily ever after.^It was the wedding of the century, watched by over half-a-million people in Britain, and a worldwide audience of a staggering 750 million. The young bride, peering out smilingly from her glass coach, would become the most famous woman in the world, and change the monarchy forever. But that was in the distant and tragic future. On this day in July, 1981, joy filled the land.^This was a moment in history, that, you know, that Prince Charles is going to be king and this was his queen. She was so young, and so beautiful. And she had already sort of got a stranglehold on the hearts and minds of the people.^British journalist Victoria Mather was one of the wedding guests that fabled day. ^"What do you remember most about that day?"^"I remember most that it was just exactly like anybody else's wedding. You know, the bride's mom wore a flowery hat. You know, and there was the naugh the bride and the bride fluffed her lines. I mean it was just so like anybody else's wedding, it was just writ large."^Like the train of Diana's wedding gown, which seemed to go on forever. Elizabeth Emanuel, with her then-husband David, designed the dress. Right after the wedding, they received a phone call.^"It was Diana, and we, we couldn't believe it, and she had phoned to thank us for making her wedding dress and saying she felt so beautiful in it."
u01_2.4.mp3
1. Charles, prince of England, ______________________________ .2. Victoria Mather ______________________________ .3. Diana's mother ______________________________ .4. The bridesmaid ______________________________ .5. David Emanuel ______________________________ .
was a guest at the wedding ceremony^wore a hat with flowers at the wedding^was very large^was one of the designers of the wedding dress^married in St. Paul's Cathedral^is remembered as having been naughty^became king of Britain
married in St. Paul's Cathedral^was a guest at the wedding ceremony^wore a hat with flowers at the wedding^is remembered as having been naughty^was one of the designers of the wedding dress
Being Famous Is Good
People often say that being famous is a hassle. I don't see why. From what I've seen, from people on TV and in movies, having fame is a never-ending joy. Right here, I'd like to introduce the reasons behind my thought.^Firstly, famous people enjoy a status that other people simply don't have. With this higher status, famous people can enjoy such pleasures as getting a table at a crowded restaurant whenever they want one. People look up to and respect those with fame.^Secondly, famous people receive attention from others. How often do you feel ignored and unheard by others? Famous people don't have this problem. When they speak, people listen.^Thirdly, famous people can often use their fame to make money. They can bring attention to products and receive money for doing so, or they can act in movies.^I, for one, would like to be famous. And I suspect that even people who are against fame would secretly like to be famous too.
u01_2.5.mp3
Reasons why being famous is good
Famous people have high status.^Famous people receive attention.^Famous people can make money.
Bang Bang, My Baby Shot Me Down
I was five and he was six^We rode on horses made of sticks^He wore black and I wore white^He would always win the fight^^Bang bang^He shot me down, bang bang^I hit the ground, bang bang^That awful sound, bang bang^My baby shot me down^^Seasons came and changed the time^When I grew up, I called him mine^He would always laugh and say^Remember when we used to play^^Bang bang^I shot you down, bang bang^You hit the ground, bang bang^That awful sound, bang bang^I used to shoot you down^^Music played and people sang^Just for me the church bells rang^^Now he's gone I don't know why^And till this day sometimes I cry^He didn't even say goodbye^He didn't take the time to lie^Bang bang^He shot me down, bang bang^I hit the ground, bang bang^That awful sound, bang bang^My baby shot me down
u01_2.6.mp3
A: What does your wife do in her spare time?^B: Well, she goes to the cinema or to the theater.^A: How often does she go to the cinema?^B: Every two weeks.
A: It's been two months since you came to China.^B: Yeah. I miss home very much.^A: Do you often call your parents?^B: No. I usually send them e-mails.^A: How many times a week?^B: Every other day.
A: Do I need to feed the fish three times a day?^B: No. Once is enough.^A: Do I have to change the water every day?^B: No, not necessary.
A: Did you grow up there?^B: Yeah, I grew up in the suburbs.^A: When did you graduate from high school?^B: At 16.^A: And what did you do after that?^B: Then I went to college.
A: Mom, can you tell me how to cook rice?^B: First wash th then put it into a pot.^A: What should I do after that?^B: After that cover it with water. Then bring it to the boil and cook it for about 20 minutes.
A: What did Tony do after graduation?^B: Well, you'll never believe this, as soon as he graduated, he went off to see the world.^A: Really? So, where did he go first?^B: First he went to South Africa.^A: No kidding! What did he do after leaving South Africa?^B: Then he went to Belgium and taught English there for several years.
Being Famous Is Good
People often say that being famous is a hassle. I don't see why. From what I've seen, from people on TV and in movies, having fame is a never-ending joy. Right here, I'd like to introduce the reasons behind my thought.^Firstly, famous people enjoy a status that other people simply don't have. With this higher status, famous people can enjoy such pleasures as getting a table at a crowded restaurant whenever they want one. People look up to and respect those with fame.^Secondly, famous people receive attention from others. How often do you feel ignored and unheard by others? Famous people don't have this problem. When they speak, people listen.^Thirdly, famous people can often use their fame to make money. They can bring attention to products and receive money for doing so, or they can act in movies.^I, for one, would like to be famous. And I suspect that even people who are against fame would secretly like to be famous too.
u01_2.5.mp3
The speaker believes that being famous has three benefits.^Being famous is good for three reasons.
The Push of Fame
Money, awards, and attention often come with fame. For some people, these things have a corrupting influence. They cling to their fame, seek to make more money, and stop being creative. This wasn't the case with Marie Curie, one of the greatest scientists in history.^Curie became the first woman to win a Nobel Prize in 1903. This did not stop her from continuing to work and make even more discoveries and inventions. For her ceaseless efforts and scientific discoveries, Curie earned her second Nobel Prize in 1911. She was the first person ever to receive two Nobel Prizes. Fame was never a burden to Curie.^It wouldn't have been surprising had Curie become a millionaire. She did not and never thought of money! Instead of patenting her work, she allowed other scientists to use it freely so they could also help mankind. She also donated 2 grams of radium for research work. And during World War II, she was a volunteer in hospitals, helping them make use of radiation.
u01_3.3.mp3
What is the correct attitude towards fame? What should people do in the face of fame?
In light of Marie Curie's example, we are asked to say something of fame. Curie set a high standard for famous people. Having achieved fame, she continued her work. Not only that, but she remained unselfish. Though she could've earned greater riches and enjoyed a more comfortable life, she didn't. She put others first, and she put her work before herself. She lived and died for her work, and nothing more could be asked of a person. Her example shows us two things. First, it shows that there is nothing wrong with fame. Fame is a symbol of success in one's career. When one has achieved it, fame shows that a person has done well. It can even encourage people to work even harder, to do even better work. Following this idea, people can have a positive attitude toward fame -- not making it a burden, but avoiding the corruption that can occur because of it. Second, Curie's example shows us what a person should do in the face of fame. So many people, after they have become famous, allow themselves to be corrupted. After becoming famous, they stop working hard or they take making money as their goal. It is clear that in doing this they have not acted well in the face of fame. These corrupted individuals should look at the life of Curie. Famous people, after having proven themselves well, should continue doing well. This is true for all famous people. Whether it is in the arts or in the sciences, accomplishment and selfless devotion to work should continue. In this way, the world will become better for all people.
Hi, my name is Farben, I'm from Germany and I want to talk about fame.Well, everybody dreams about being famous, of course.When you are young you want to be a pop star or a movie star, of course.Everybody dreams about things like this.I think, well, it will be very interesting if I could be a pop star for one day I would take the chance, of course.You can attend a lot of, uh, interesting events.You can go out with your friends to nice restaurants because, maybe,you are famous, you have money, somebody will invite you, all the good things, of course.But then when I think about it, I think there are also a lot of bad sides of being famous.For example, you have no personality at all and you all the time have to play your role.You have to behave in public.You have to be, maybe, very secret when you want to meet your girlfriend or whateverand I think they are all bad parts about being famous.And when I think about all those kind of bad things, um,I would like to be just myself, just stay myself and not be famous at all.^Hi, this is Kim and I'm here to talk to you about being famous.Well, not that, you know, I'm famous but I grew up in California the celebrity kingdom of the world.You know, I used to go to Laker's basketball games and I would see Jack Nicholson sitting in the front.And we would wave hello and he would wave back.But it's not about being Jack Nicholson either.It's just that, you know, um, being raised in a Korean family, I know that,uh, being a performer in Korea, if you're a singer, a dancer or actor, you know, uh, traditionally you are not recognized to be kind of like high classlike the way it is in the West with all the glamors and stuff.In fact, uh, being a performer is actually not very well received and respected.Meaning that you usually don't have much education, or you didn't come from very good family,hence the reason why you are in performing arts.So we don't get the kind of fame that, that, that we do in the West.But you know I think people do different things and they should be appreciated for what they do.^Hello, my name is Steve and I come from England.A famous person commands a high degree of public and media attention.Some people become globally famous.Some people just become famous in their country.Some people become famous by drawing attention to themselves.Al Gore was well known in the U.S. as the vice-president.But it wasn't until he embarked on an environmental crusade that he became famous around the world.A smaller number of celebrities can be thought of as globally famous.The rise of international celebrities and popular music is due to the rise of the mass media.Being famous may seem glamorous but there is a downside to being watched by the world's media.The paparazzi follow celebrities to take their photographs.And some, like Britney Spears, seem to find the level of fame difficult to handle.^Hi. My name is Ted, and I'm from the United States of America.Today I'm going to talk a little bit about fame, being famous.And to be honest, I'm happy I'm not famous. I wouldn't want to be famous.I think there are more downsides to being famous than upsides.There are more bad things than good things.For example, I get a little taste of it living here in Asia.Sometimes, for example, when I go out to eat, it seems as if people in the restaurant are looking at me.Maybe because I'm the only westerner in the restaurant.I wouldn't want that feeling every day, everywhere I went, everyone looking at me.I like to blend in. I like to be anonymous, so I don't think fame is a good thing.I wouldn't mind, I would like to be rich on the other hand,so in my case I think the best situation would be if I was very rich, but I wasn't famous.So I was secretly rich, and no one knew about it, that would be the best situation.I don't want to be famous. I just want to be rich.
Farben.jpg^Kim.jpg^Steve.jpg^Ted01.jpg
Farben: Being famous has both its good sides and bad sides.Kim: To be a performer, one needs to have good education or come from wealthy family.Steve: Al Gore became globally famous because he was vice-president of the US.Ted: Being rich is more important than being famous.
Farben1.jpg^Kim1.jpg^Steve1.jpg^Ted011.jpg
Friendship
W: How important are friends to you, Bill?^M: That's kind of a strange question for this setting, don't you think so?^W: Well, the teacher hasn't come in yet, class hasn't begun, and I was just wondering about it. So, what do you think about friends?^M: I've never regarded them as particularly important. Perhaps that's because I come from a big family -- two brothers and three sisters, and lots of cousins. That's what's really important to me. What about you, Emma?^W: My situation, you know, is different, so I have different ideas. To me friendship... having friends... people I know I can really count on... to me that's the most important thing in life. It's more important even than love. If you love someone, you can always fall out of love again, and that can lead to a lot of hurt feelings and bitterness. But a good friend is a friend for life.^M: In my mind, a friend is someone who likes the same things as you do, with whom you can argue without losing your temper, even if you don't always agree with him.^^Questions 1 to 5 are based on the conversation you have just heard.^1. What are the speakers talking about?^2. What has the man always thought?^3. What can be inferred from the conversation?^4. What does the man think about friends?^5. Where is the conversation taking place?
u01_5.1.mp3
Q1: What are the speakers talking about?
Ans: DQ2: What has the man always thought?
Ans: AQ3: What can be inferred from the conversation?
Ans: BQ4: What does the man think about friends?
Ans: BQ5: Where is the conversation taking place?
"The King Is Dead"
At the age of 41, Clark Gable, one of Hollywood's biggest actors, enlisted in the army, serving in World War II. Gable's postwar films were, for the most part, disappointing, as was his 1949 marriage. Dropped by both his wife and his studio, Gable ventured out as a freelance actor in 1955, quickly becoming the highest paid actor in Hollywood. He again found happiness with his fifth wife and continued his career in such critical failures as Teacher's Pet, released in 1958. In 1960, Gable was signed for the "modern" Western, The Misfits. The troubled and tragic history of this film has been well documented, but, despite the on-set tension, Gable took on the task uncomplainingly, going so far as to perform several grueling stunt scenes involving wild horses. The strain of filming, however, coupled with his ever-robust lifestyle, proved too much for the actor. Clark Gable suffered a heart attack two days after the completion of The Misfits and died in 1960 at the age of 59, just a few months before the birth of his first son. Most of the nation's newspapers announced the death of Clark Gable with a four-word headline: "The King is Dead."^^Questions 1 to 5 are based on the passage you have just heard.^1. What is this passage about?^2. When did Gable become a freelance actor?^3. What can we know about Gable from the passage?^4. What is described as being "tragic" in the passage?^5. What can be inferred from the passage?
u01_5.2.mp3
Q1: What is this passage about?
Ans: CQ2: When did Gable become a freelance actor?
Ans: AQ3: What can we know about Gable from the passage?
Ans: BQ4: What is described as being "tragic" in the passage?
Ans: BQ5: What can be inferred from the passage?
Nursing at Beth Israel
Nursing at Beth Israel Hospital produces the best patient care possible. If we are to solve the nursing shortage, hospital administration and doctors everywhere would do well to follow Beth Israel's example.^At Beth Israel, each patient is assigned to a primary nurse who visits at length with the patient and constructs a full-scale health account that covers everything from his or her medical history to his or her emotional state. Then, the nurse writes a care plan, one that is not only centered on the patient's illness but also one which includes everything else that is necessary.^The primary nurse stays with the patient throughout his or her hospitalization, keeping track of his or her progress and seeking further advice from the doctor. If a patient at Beth Israel is not responding to treatment, it is not uncommon for the nurse to propose another approach to the doctor. What the doctors at Beth Israel have in the primary nurse is a true colleague.^Nursing at Beth Israel also involves a decentralized nu every floor and every unit is a self-contained organization. There are nurse-managers in in addition to their medical duties, they do all their own hiring and firing, and employee advising. They even make salary recommendations. Each unit's nurses decide among themselves who will work what shifts and when.^Beth Israel's nurse-in-chief ranks as an equal with other vice presidents of the hospital. The nurse-in-chief is also a member of the Medical Executive Committee, which in most hospitals includes only doctors.
u01_5.3.mp3
1) shortage
2) assigned
3) centered
4) hospitalization
5) treatment
6) colleague
7) decentralized
8) There are nurse-managers instead of head nurses
9) decide among themselves who will work what shifts and when10) an equal with other vice presidents of the hospital
Imitate the Speaker
I believe that fame and celebrity, influence and power, success and failure, reality and illusion are all somehow neatly woven into a seamless fabric we laughingly call reality. I say to those who desperately seek fame and fortune, celebrity: good luck. But what will you do when you have caught your tail, your success, your fame? Keep chasing it? If you do catch it, hang on for dear life because falling is not as painful as landing.^^From "Fame"
u01_5.4.mp3
Originality Is Important
M: Ladies and gentlemen, novelist and poet, Sandra Marie...^W: Thank you, thank you...^M: Thank you for joining us.^W: It's a pleasure to be here. You know, I watch your show every day.^M: Do you really? Well, these days there are many people watching you.^W: Yes, I've gotten a lot of attention lately -- that's true -- all because of my little book.^M: Oh... don't be modest! Your book is amazingly bold, one of the most original pieces of fiction I've ever read.^W: Originality is important, for sure. In fact, I think it is the most important part of being a creative person. Surely, it doesn't make much sense to write something, or do something, that has been done before or even that is similar in style to anything else already put out there.^M: Well put! Thank you! Sandra Marie... everybody!
Why has the woman received so much attention?^What is one of the most important things to a creative person?^In what ways are you original and unlike all other people?
For writing an original book.^Originality.^Being original is very important to me, and I have made it a point to be original. For instance, I have tried to be original by working out variations to dance steps in my dance classes. Also, I have tried to be unique in painting unusual paintings, and, most of all, I have created a scientific theory about human migrations.
Originality Is Important
M: Ladies and gentlemen, novelist and poet, Sandra Marie...^W: Thank you, thank you...^M: Thank you for joining us.^W: It's a pleasure to be here. You know, I watch your show every day.^M: Do you really? Well, these days there are many people watching you.^W: Yes, I've gotten a lot of attention lately -- that's true -- all because of my little book.^M: Oh... don't be modest! Your book is amazingly bold, one of the most original pieces of fiction I've ever read.^W: Originality is important, for sure. In fact, I think it is the most important part of being a creative person. Surely, it doesn't make much sense to write something, or do something, that has been done before or even that is similar in style to anything else already put out there.^M: Well put! Thank you! Sandra Marie... everybody!
Do you think you are a person having your own style? Give your reasons.What makes you stand out from the crowd, the way you dress or the way you think? Give your reasons.
Be Original
W: I don't quite understand what made Charlie Chaplin such a popular movie star.^M: Serious? Look at his work and compare it to other films of the time. He was so original that people were really surprised by his films.^Q: What can be inferred from the conversation?
u02_2.1_1.mp3
A) Movie stars of Chaplin's time compared themselves to Chaplin.
B) The woman doesn't understand the meaning of Chaplin's films.
C) Charlie Chaplin was original in that he surprised people.
D) The man appreciates Charlie Chaplin's films.
W: My drama teacher said Chaplin is an excellent model for a young actor to pattern himself on.^M: I'd be hard-pressed to argue with that. The guy was innovative and possessed such a creative mind. Yeah, try to be like him.^Q: What are the speakers talking about?
u02_2.1_2.mp3
A) Models for a young actor
B) Arguments against Chaplin.
C) Chaplin's drama teacher.
D) Chaplin as a role model.
W: I've given some thought to entering politics when I get older -- you know, maybe working behind the scenes to help someone get a position in government.^M: Why not run for office yourself? Are you afraid of standing out as a female politician?^Q: What can be inferred from the conversation?
u02_2.1_3.mp3
A) The woman is afraid of politics.
B) The man has run for office.
C) People in politics are old.
D) Female politicians are rare.
W: I admire her, not because she's a woman in the tough, male world of international politics, but because she's so honest.^M: Yeah, I feel the same way. Certainly, there aren't many people as true to their word as she is.^Q: What does the man think about the politician?
u02_2.1_4.mp3
A) She's admired by tough men.
B) She's tougher than men.
C) She's honest.
D) She's like many other people.
W: You know, our family is really special. Many of our ancestors are remembered as great inventors and scientists who contributed new ideas to society.^M: Yes, that's what I've also heard from Uncle Marty. He said our family tree was full of geniuses.^Q: What are the speakers talking about?
u02_2.1_5.mp3
A) Their society.
B) Their family.
C) Their uncle.
D) Their tree.
W: Did you see what I made? It's a light bulb that'll never burn out.^M: That's amazing! A thing like that could make you famous. You should contact a patent office as soon as possible and register a claim!^Q: What will make the woman famous?
u02_2.1_6.mp3
A) Her new invention.
B) The patent office.
C) Her claim.
D) The contacts she's made.
W: No matter what a person says about me, no one can say that I'm not original.^M: For sure, that's one criticism that no one will hit you with. Your artwork is definitely unique. And I think that's really important.^Q: According to the man, what should be valued above all else?
u02_2.1_7.mp3
A) Producing art that's unlike other art.
B) Criticizing artwork that's not unique.
C) Saying what you can about artwork.
D) Being important in the world of art.
W: What do you think? Is it dangerous to be unlike other people sometimes?^M: Nah. I think it's more dangerous to be similar to others -- that's when you run the risk of becoming insignificant and forgotten.^Q: According to the man, what is dangerous?
u02_2.1_8.mp3
A) Being insignificant.
B) Being like other people.
C) Forgetting other people.
D) Running certain risks.
M: I suppose I could've been successful by being like other people, but I felt that I should express my own original ideas. And I think this is a lesson you should learn.^W: Ma says the same thing about her success. I guess thinking the same about that is what first brought you two together?^Q: What is the relationship between the speakers?
u02_2.1_9.mp3
A) Teacher and student.
B) Mother and son.
C) Father and daughter.
D) Employer and employee.
W: I'm not saying that your work is poor, just that it lacks imagination. You haven't done anything to set yourself apart from your classmates.^M: If my assignments look so much like others, why do you give me lower grades than you give them?^Q: What is the relationship between the speakers?
u02_2.1_10.mp3
A) Wife and husband.
B) Employer and employee.
C) Father and daughter.
D) Teacher and student.
Do Something Original
M: Look at you, all dressed up in a bowler hat, looking all dapper like Charlie Chaplin. It's not Halloween, though. Are you going to leave the house looking like that?^W: Would you believe that I'm going to a party?^M: If there was a party tonight, I would've heard about it by now. So what's the deal?^W: I'm auditioning for a film. I thought, well, this look worked well for Chaplin.^M: So you thought it'd work for you. I don't think much of that idea.^W: Why not? Chaplin got a lot of success because of his Little Tramp costume. And I've copied it exactly.^M: Chaplin did very well -- but that's because the look was original. He didn't copy anyone in Hollywood.^W: But look, I'm a woman, a woman dressed like Chaplin. That's original, isn't it?^M: I'm afraid not. I'm pretty sure that I've seen other women do the same thing. If you really want to succeed like Chaplin did, you should do what he did. Try to invent and develop something people haven't seen before.^W: I guess you're right. I'll go back up to my room and change.
u02_2.2.mp3
1. What are the speakers talking about?
u02_2.2q1.mp3
A) Hollywood at the time of Chaplin.
B) A party for Charlie Chaplin.
C) Charlie Chaplin's women.
D) The reason for Chaplin's success.
2. Why is the woman dressed like Chaplin?
u02_2.2q2.mp3
A) Because she wants to be successful.
B) Because she is going to a party.
C) Because she is making a film.
D) Because it is Halloween.
3. What can be inferred from the conversation?
u02_2.2q3.mp3
A) There are no copies in Hollywood.
B) There is no party tonight.
C) Chaplin copied Hollywood.
D) Chaplin copied the Little Tramp.
4. Besides "be original", what advice does the man have for the woman?
u02_2.2q4.mp3
A) Do what Chaplin did.
B) Practice her acting skills.
C) Go up to her room and change.
D) Dress like Chaplin.
5. Where is the conversation taking place?
u02_2.2q5.mp3
A) At the speakers' home.
B) In the cinema.
C) At a party.
D) In Hollywood.
Charlie Chaplin
Some people stand out as truly special and one of a kind. Charlie Chaplin, a superstar of silent comedies and one of the great icons of the 20th-century film, is one of those unique people. Chaplin had a rotten childhood and an early start on stage, performing even as a child in vaudeville. He went to Hollywood in 1914 and began acting in silent comedies. By 1915, he controlled most aspects of his films, in which he usually appeared as a character called simply the "Little Tramp": a lovably shabby dreamer with a bushy moustache, bowler hat and cane. Chaplin was one of the founders of United Artists Studios and was one of the first movie makers to have complete control over his features. His best-known films include 1925's The Gold Rush, 1931's City Lights, and 1936's Modern Times. Famously outspoken and sympathetic to communism, Chaplin left the United States in 1952 because of increased political pressure. He settled in Switzerland, where he and his wife Oona raised eight children, including actress Geraldine Chaplin. In 1972 he returned to the United States to accept a special Oscar, and in 1975, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
u02_2.3.mp3
1. What is this passage about?
u02_2.3q1.mp3
A) Icons of the 20th-century film.
B) A person unlike any other.
C) Silent comedies.
D) United Artists Studios.
2. What did Chaplin do when he went to Hollywood?
u02_2.3q2.mp3
A) He founded United Artists.
B) He created the "Little Tramp".
C) He made silent films.
D) He entered vaudeville.
3. What did the "Little Tramp" look like?
u02_2.3q3.mp3
A) A child.
B) An icon.
C) A lover.
D) A poor person.
4. What can be inferred from the passage?
u02_2.3q4.mp3
A) Switzerland was more accepting of Communism than the US.
B) Chaplin, an outspoken man, made Communism famous.
C) The Gold Rush is Chaplin's most famous film.
D) Geraldine Chaplin won Oscar in the United States.
5. When did the Queen make Chaplin a knight?
u02_2.3q5.mp3
A) In 1925.
B) In 1972.
C) In 1975.
D) In 1952.
American Workforce in Trouble
It is Labor Day, of course, a time to salute the American worker, but there is new information suggesting it's tougher than ever to be in the American workforce. A big new government report found that American paychecks are not keeping pace with inflation. So where are the good jobs? We asked ABC's Dan Harris to look for them.^At the top of the class, and by that, we mean upper class -- doctors, medical professionals, ranging from surgeons to obstetricians to orthodontists -- make up 10 of the top 11 highest paid professions in the country. Chief excusive officers come in at No. 10, earning an average of $142,000 a year.^As for blue-collar workers, Forbes magazine reports that subway conductors and flight attendants make the most, on average more than $62,000 a year. According to new census data, the gap between rich and poor Americans is now at an all-time high, with the top 1/5 of American households claiming more than half of all the nation's income. What's more, a new report released just this weekend, indicates about 30% of households have a net worth of less than $10,000. The bottom line for Americans seeking to reach the same standard of living as their parents, avoid the plastic and save wherever possible.^It's very difficult to save a lot, but a few dollars, and as that saving nest egg begins to build, you'll see it, you'll, you'll want to contribute more.^Now all of this is not to say that you have to become a CEO to live in comfort. Economists note there is still room at the top for stargazers. Turns out astronomers make big bucks as some of the nation's highest paid professionals.
u02_2.4.mp3
1. A report from the government has ____________________.
A) made it tougher to join the workforce
B) shown where the good jobs are
C) given evidence about workers' troubles
D) saluted workers in America
2. The highest paid people in America are ____________________.
A) doctors
B) chief executive officers
C) government workers
D) blue collar workers
3. Census data shows us that ____________________.
A) there is an increasing divide between rich and poor people
B) subway conductors and flight attendants make the most
C) the number of poor Americans is now at an all-time high
D) American households claim more than half of the world's income
4. It can be encouraging for people to ____________________.
A) reach the same standard of living as their parents
B) have a net worth of $10,000
C) see that they have saved some money
D) become a CEO and live in comfort
5. Information about stargazers comes to us from ____________________.
A) astronomers
B) Forbes magazine
C) a government report
D) economists
To Be Original or Not?
I'm getting tired of everyone telling me to be original. People say that originality can make a pe and they bring up examples of successful people to make their point -- Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, Zhang Yimou, and more. They say that being original can make you happy. But I'm not sure I can agree with what they say.^There are many problems with being original. And I'm not sure that it is what people should aim for. Why? Well, I have three reasons. First, being original means ignoring what other people are saying and doing. Often, we follow the group because the group is right. For instance, why should I say that the world is flat, just because others say it is round? Second, being original, that is doing something that hasn't been done before, is difficult. And third, being original is sometimes dangerous. It can make people dislike you very much.
u02_2.5.mp3
It can make a person successful.@0^It means ignoring others.@0@0
Reasons for originality^Reasons against originality
0@It can make a person happy.^0@It is difficult.@It is dangerous.
More Than Words
Saying I love you^Is not the words I want to hear from you^It's not that I want you^Not to say, but if you only knew^How easy it would be to show me how you feel^More than words is all you have to do to make it real^Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me^'Cause I'd already know^^What would you do if my heart was torn in two^More than words to show you feel^That your love for me is real^What would you say if I took those words away^Then you couldn't make things new^Just by saying I love you^More than words...^^Now I've tried to talk to you and make you understand^All you have to do is close your eyes^And just reach out your hands and touch me^Hold me close don't ever let me go^More than words is all I ever needed you to show^Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me^'Cause I'd already know^^What would you do if my heart was torn in two^More than words to show you feel^That your love for me is real^What would you say if I took those words away^Then you couldn't make things new^Just by saying I love you^More than words...
u02_2.6.mp3
A: Excuse me. I'm your new neighbor. I just moved in.^B: Oh, yes?^A: I'm looking for a supermarket. Are there any around here?^B: Yes, there is one on 7th Street.^A: Thank you.
A: I want to buy some children's clothes. Where should I go for that?^B: The Children's Department is on this floor. To your left.^A: And where are the restrooms, please?^B: You'll find one on every floor near the elevators.^A: Fine. Thank you.
A: Your son looks really tall.^B: Yeah, actually he is one of the tallest students in his class. ^A: Then he must sit at the back of the classroom.^B: You're right.
A: Excuse me. I'm trying to find McDonald's. Can you help me?^B: McDonald's? Oh, yes. Go straight down this street to the corner. Turn left and go one block until you come to Taiyuan Street. Go right on Taiyuan Street. It's on the right side of the street just past the bank. You can't miss it.A: I see. St turn left and turn right.^B: That's it.^A: Thanks a lot.^B: You're welcome.
A: Excuse me, but where is the Rose Hotel?^B: Cross the street, walk on and take the second turning on the right. It's five minutes' walk.^A: Thanks a lot.^B: You're welcome.
A: Excuse me, sir. Can you show me the way to the Peace Square?^B: Go along the street, turn right at the crossroad and the Peace Square is in front of you.^A: Thank you very much.^B: Sure thing.
A: Where in America are you from, John?^B: I'm from New York.^A: Oh, I've never been there. What's it like?^B: It's a very big city with good nightlife.^A: Is it expensive there?^B: Yes, it's one of the most expensive cities in America.
A: What did you do last weekend, Helen?^B: Bob and I went for a drive in the country on Sunday.^A: That sounds nice. Where did you go?^B: We drove to the lake and had a picnic. We had a great time!
A: Would you mind telling me how to get to the museum?^B: It's far away from here. You'd better take a bus.^A: Which bus should I take?^B: You can take No. 232 or No. 328. It's very convenient.
To Be Original or Not?
I'm getting tired of everyone telling me to be original. People say that originality can make a pe and they bring up examples of successful people to make their point -- Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, Zhang Yimou, and more. They say that being original can make you happy. But I'm not sure I can agree with what they say.^There are many problems with being original. And I'm not sure that it is what people should aim for. Why? Well, I have three reasons. First, being original means ignoring what other people are saying and doing. Often, we follow the group because the group is right. For instance, why should I say that the world is flat, just because others say it is round? Second, being original, that is doing something that hasn't been done before, is difficult. And third, being original is sometimes dangerous. It can make people dislike you very much.
u02_2.5.mp3
Originality is the key to living fully.^The benefits of originality are obvious.^Following the crowd has numerous negatives.^The problems associated with originality outweigh potential benefits.
Narrator: One day, a man set himself to digging a hole in the ground.^Digger: I'm digging a hole!^Narrator: Yes, that's right. The man was digging a hole in order to get some water.^Digger: I need to drink water! I'm digging a hole to get some water!^Narrator: Right again. So, the man dug and dug.^Digger: This digging is making me awfully tired!^Narrator: Though the man dug deep, he still didn't reach any water. The digger's wife came out of her home and said...^Digger's wife: Try digging somewhere else! You aren't going to get any water from that hole!^Digger: What do you know about hole-digging, woman? I'm going to keep digging here!^Narrator: He dug deeper...
and deeper...
and deeper still.^Digger: I'm going to reach the other side of the world if I dig much more!^Narrator: But finally...
success! Water first trickled and then gushed out of the bottom of the hole.^Digger: Water at last!^Narrator: The moral of this story is that if you keep working for something, you'll get it.^Digger's wife: Bah! It was just dumb luck!
u02_3.3.mp3
What role does originality play in achieving success? Does hard work count?
Hard work is essential in the pursuit of success. I firmly hold to this position. In order for a person to achieve success, he must keep going and must not quit. This is true regardless of what the activity is. Whether a person is digging a well or is trying to make a star out of himself in Hollywood, makes no difference. Charlie Chaplin, for example, struggled to make a name for himself in movies. Success didn't come easily. He finally created a timeless character however. Then he earned people's attention by creating wonderful movies that are still popular today. The same is true with the well digger. He didn't quit. He dug, despite his wife telling him to give up, and he achieved his goal in the end. In other words, his hard work paid off. This is a lesson parents and teachers often give us. Older people have always said this, and with good reason. Chaplin and the well digger are not the only examples of this lesson. There are countless others. And as long as there are people who continue working hard and gaining success, this lesson will continue to be true.
Having Your Own Style
Hi, this is Kim and today I would like to talk to you about being one of a kind, having your own style and your individuality. Now when I was growing up, going to elementary school in Korea we all had to wear uniforms. So everybody had to look the same and be the same and we all have to, you know, follow all these rules and stuff and then after I moved to California, you know, I could wear my own clothes to school. So, you know, that's just an example of how you are encouraged to be yourself in the western civilization. Now, um, I think it's getting better in Korea too. You know, now you are, people can find themselves and dress the way that they want and do the things that they like. But I think it's more about confidence, you know, being who you are is knowing who you are and then expressing that through the way that you walk, you dress, you talk or whatever. But, regardless, I think that, um, there are good things about the East and the West. Uh, but, you know what? I still think that putting all the kids in uniforms is kind of weird, anyway, thanks, bye.^Hello my name is Sarah. I'm from Germany. Um, but I haven't been in Germany for all of my life. I've been studying in France for five years. So right now I want to tell you something about uniqueness in these two countries, in Germany and in France. I think that, uh, both cultures value uniqueness very much, but I think in Germany it's a little bit more inside yourself and in France, maybe people would express it more outside. For example through clothing, through, uh, the way they talk and all that. I think that, maybe French people value uniqueness more than German people or maybe they express it more than German people. I think for Germans, uniqueness is more in the mind. Uh, it's more inside yourself. For French people they have to express this, uh, they have to express it.^Hi my name is Ted and I am from the USA, from the state of Indiana, which is in the middle. Now today I'm going to talk just a bit about expressing yourself through your clothing which you chose to wear. Now some people say they like to wear name brand clothing. I really don't like to. For some people that's a way to say, "Hey, I'm wealthy or this is a Polo shirt or Tommy Hilfiger, this is expensive. I have the money to buy these things". I'm not really a big fan of that. Now other people like to wear bright colors, and some people say, "Hey, that shows they're a lively person or a funny person". But I'm not really sure if I believe that because right now I'm wearing black. Now I don't think that means I'm a somber person or a depressed person or a downcast person. I just think black looks good. So I think in some cases, yes, what you wear can reflect your personality. But in other cases maybe you choose a color or a style or a pattern just because you think it looks good, not because it expresses who you are.^Hi. My name is Shizo Kyoda. I'm from Japan. I'm going to talk about personality. I think everyone has different personality. Generally, an attractive personality that is liked by most of people is unique, kind, open-minded, and so on. In our society, people are afraid others would judge us by what we wear or what we do, so everyone usually try not to show off their feeling or try to act same as the others. However, I feel that this act is also masking their true personality. So for me, it is kind of wasting their life, and, yeah, people should be more attractive, and people should live their lives naturally. Thank you.
Kim02.jpg^Sarah.jpg^Ted01.jpg^Shizo Kyoda.jpg
Kim: Kim is in favor of requiring students to wear school uniforms.Sarah: The Germans are more outward in expressing their uniqueness than the French.Ted: What kind of clothes one wears doesn't necessarily reflect their personality.Shizo Kyoda: People should try to act in their own way instead of acting the same as others.
Kim021.jpg^Sarah1.jpg^Ted011.jpg^Shizo Kyoda1.jpg
My Mom Seems to Think So
W: My friends have compared my film to the best of Orson Welles' works. How can you criticize it?^M: You... Welles? I, well, um, I appreciate your confidence in yourself. But you do know who Welles was, right?^W: Nah. I don't watch films by British directors.^M: You really don't know who Welles was at all! Welles was American! Do you even pay attention to my lectures?^W: I don't listen to peo I make films. I'm a doer.^M: You really have to pay attention from now on. Welles first became famous on the radio, especially for his reading of War of the Worlds in 1938. Three years later, he made his first movie, Citizen Kane, in 1941. Other films of his include The Magnificent Ambersons in 1942 and The Lady From Shanghai in 1948. People consider Kane to be his best film.^W: That must be the one that looks like my film.^M: People consider it not only his best film, but the best film in movie history. Do you really think your film is that good?^W: My mom seems to think so.^^Questions 1 to 5 are based on the conversation you have just heard.^1. What are the speakers talking about?^2. What can be inferred from the conversation?^3. Why doesn't the woman listen to the man more?^4. When was Citizen Kane made?^5. What is the relationship between the speakers?
u02_5.1.mp3
Q1: What are the speakers talking about?
Ans: DQ2: What can be inferred from the conversation?
Ans: AQ3: Why doesn't the woman listen to the man more?
Ans: BQ4: When was Citizen Kane made?
Ans: BQ5: What is the relationship between the speakers?
Elvis Presley
When Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977, radio and television programs all over the world were interrupted to give the news of his death. President Carter was asked to declare a day of national mourning. Eighty thousand people attended his funeral.^In the summer of 1953 Elvis paid four dollars and recorded two songs for his mother's birthday at Sam Phillips' Sun Records Studio. Sam Phillips heard Elvis and asked him to record "That's All Right" in July, 1954. Twenty thousand copies were sold, mainly in and around Memphis. On January 10, 1956, Elvis recorded "Heartbreak Hotel", and a million copies were sold.In the next fourteen months he made another fourteen records, and they were all big hits. In 1956 he also made his first film in Hollywood.^In 1972 his wife left him, and they were divorced in October, 1973. Elvis died from a heart attack in 1977. He had been abusing his body for several years by eating and drinking too much and taking a cocktail of medicines and possibly drugs. He left all his money to his only daughter, Lisa Marie Presley. She became one of the richest people in the world when she was only nine years old.^^Questions 1 to 5 are based on the passage you have just heard.^1. What is the speaker talking about?^2. Why were news programs interrupted?^3. When was "Heartbreak Hotel" recorded?^4. Why did Elvis Presley die?^5. To whom did Elvis give his money?
u02_5.2.mp3
Q1: What is the speaker talking about?
Ans: BQ2: Why were news programs interrupted?
Ans: DQ3: When was "Heartbreak Hotel" recorded?
Ans: AQ4: Why did Elvis Presley die?
Ans: CQ5: To whom did Elvis give his money?
Rembrandt, one of the greatest artists of all time, was born in Leiden in the Netherlands. As a child, he liked to sketch the sun coming in through a window and making a streak of light on the inside of the windmill where he lived. He continued this interest in light and shadow throughout life. His paintings often show one hand of a person in the light and one in the dark.^Many artists traveled abroad but Rembrandt always stayed within 50 miles of his birth place in Leiden, although he lived to be 63.^Much of his life was spent in Amsterdam, then the richest town in Europe. In some of Rembrandt's paintings, we see the rich clothes and jewels worn by people of that time in Amsterdam.^Other Dutch artists of the time painted cloth of exquisite texture, dishes, and other such things simply because they were beautiful. The Dutch artists of Rembrandt's day painted pictures of rooms with handsomely dressed people in them. Rembrandt was greater because he painted people so that we can tell how they felt and thought.He painted their personalities, not just their clothes or the lines of their faces.^Rembrandt worked hard all his life, constantly improving his art. But his domestic life was filled with sorrow as all his children and his wife died before him and his overspending meant that his later years were filled with hardship. The people of his time stopped honoring him, but he was far greater than they would ever become. He was a great artist working on art problems ahead of his time.
u02_5.3.mp3
3) paintings
7) exquisite
8) pictures of rooms with handsomely dressed people in them
9) not just their clothes or the lines of their faces10) but he was far greater than they would ever become
Imitate the Speaker
It is good to love: Because love is difficult. For one human being to love another human being: That is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation. That is why young people, who are beginners in everything, are not yet capable of love: It is something they must learn.^^From "Love Is Difficult" by Rainer Maria Rilke
u02_5.4.mp3
I Wish I Were a Lucky One
Completely blind in one eye, 75% loss of vision in the other, I can only see 10 yards ahead of me, and even that, not well. I'm old and poor. My health is failing and I am wracked by pain in my joints so that every movement is torture.If there were a god of mercy, I would be dead and buried, free of my pain. But no, I live still and my pain is yet without end. How could hell be worse than what I face now? With my poor vision, I see people, happy people, with money, strength, and health. So often, they do not even realize their fortune. Neither do they understand that their very existence makes my existence even more unbearable. For I watch them, and watching them increases my misery. How I wish I how I wish I were one of the lucky ones.
1. The speaker believes that he would be dead if in the world there were a ____________________ .2. The speaker believes that happy people have ____________________ , for which they are not fully thankful for.3. The speaker wishes that he were among the ____________________ .
god of mercy^money, strength, and health^lucky ones
I Wish I Were a Lucky One
Completely blind in one eye, 75% loss of vision in the other, I can only see 10 yards ahead of me, and even that, not well. I'm old and poor. My health is failing and I am wracked by pain in my joints so that every movement is torture.If there were a god of mercy, I would be dead and buried, free of my pain. But no, I live still and my pain is yet without end. How could hell be worse than what I face now? With my poor vision, I see people, happy people, with money, strength, and health. So often, they do not even realize their fortune. Neither do they understand that their very existence makes my existence even more unbearable. For I watch them, and watching them increases my misery. How I wish I how I wish I were one of the lucky ones.
How people in your culture deal with misfortunes?What can you learn from misfortunes?
Misfortunes
W: I think it's great that the government is giving you money during this hard time, but shouldn't you do something yourself to get on your feet?^M: What? You think I'm lazy? I'll tell you how hard I'm trying to find a job....^Q: What do we know from this conversation?
u03_2.1_1.mp3
A) The man is a very lazy person.
B) The man is trying very hard at his job.
C) The man doesn't have a job.
D) The man couldn't get government money.
M: According to these rules, you can get more welfare money if you have children.^W: Sure I could. But having children would also cost a lot of money -- so I don't see welfare benefits as an incentive to giving birth. Besides, I'm happier by myself.^Q: What can be inferred from the conversation?
u03_2.1_2.mp3
A) The man gets welfare money for having children.
B) The man has children that cost a lot of money.
C) The woman doesn't receive welfare money.
D) The woman doesn't have any children.
W: True enough, the man is blind. But you've got to admire what he's done -- started his own company and become rich.^M: He really has done a lot. On top of all that, he's a really nice person.^Q: What are the speakers talking about?
u03_2.1_3.mp3
A) People who are blind.
B) A company started by a blind man.
C) A man who has overcome difficulty.
D) People who are both rich and nice.
W: Hi Honey.
I'm sorry, I've some really bad news to tell you. I'm afraid. Management have made cuts, and I've lost my job.^M: Oh, oh dear!
That's terrible. But -- you didn't like that job very much anyway. Maybe this is a good chance to find something new. Don' think positive!^Q: What does the man think?
u03_2.1_4.mp3
A) The woman should lose her job.
B) The woman shouldn't be depressed.
C) The woman won't get cut by management.
D) The woman can easily find something new.
W: I was sure your patient would be devastated when he was told that he would die within a month. I'm really surprised.^M: Maybe it hasn't hit him yet. When he has time to think about it, he'll probably break down. But for now, yeah, he seems to have taken it very well -- he's very brave.^Q: What can be inferred from the conversation?
u03_2.1_5.mp3
A) The patient went home and broke down.
B) The patient did not cry in front of the speakers.
C) The patient was not told he would die in a month.
D) The patient did not seem brave to the doctors.
W: Hey, I just noticed something. The player, that one right there in the middle of the field, he's missing a hand.^M: It took you long enough to notice. Yeah, he's one of the top players in the league. And look, he isn't the only one.That one over there is also missing a hand.^Q: What are the speakers doing?
u03_2.1_6.mp3
A) Playing a game.
B) Watching a game.
C) Looking for something missing.
D) Missing the league's top players.
W: This d

我要回帖

更多关于 how to know a person 的文章

随机推荐