Rewrite the followingmake sentencess using nonfinite clauses.

《综合英语》第二册第 10, 12,13,14 单元答案 综合英语》 Key to Intensive Reading Texts Unit 10 Gregory Peck―An American MasterText Comprehension P. 138 I. The passage mainly tells the readers about D. II. Judge, according to the text, whether the following statements are true or false. 1. F. It is his moral courage and traditional values that make him a symbol of American man at his best. (Paragraph 1 ) 2. F. He didn't intend to be an actor until he was a senior. (Paragraph 3) 3. F. His early acting on the stage did not prove successful, because &his early plays were doomed to short runs&. (Paragraph 3) 4. T. Refer to Paragraph 4. 5. T. Refer to Paragraph 7. III. Answer the following questions. 1. Because for more than fifty years Gregory Peck impresses his audiences with stories of strength and masculinity, and is viewed as a pillar of moral courage and a defender of traditional values. 2. It was not until 1944 that Peck showed his real talent (&something bigger&) in the two films Days of Glory and The Keys of the Kingdom, the latter of which brought him his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor. 3. The quintessential mid-century American man as represented by Peck and his characters was tough, caring and romantic. 4. According to Peck himself, his best film is To Kill A Mockingbird, because it gives attention to the lives of children and the importance of family. 5. He learns that life during wartime was profoundly complex and life can hardly be free from war and struggle. What he tries to do in most of his films is to investigate these complex struggles and create stories that shed light on human possibility and social reality. IV. Explain in your own words the following sentences taken from the text. P139 1. In playing his roles such as General MacArthur and Captain Ahab, he powerfully impressed his audiences with the strength and male beauty of his characters. 2. If he learnt something from the characters he vividly portrayed such as Captain Keith Mallory and General MacArthur, it was that life during wartime was extremely complex. Structural analysis of the text The first paragraph introduces Gregory Peck as a celebrity in Hollywood and the masons why he was so popular. The fourth paragraph mentions the major achievements in his acting career. The sixth paragraph focuses on his best known film To Kill A Mockingbird. The seventh paragraph explains his life philosophy. Vocabulary exercises I. Explain the underlined part in each sentence in your own words. 1. the American man with his highest achievements or most attractive qualities 2. made his first appearance 3. make.., clearer 4. making ... more exciting, vivid, or lively 5. was intended (by fate) for II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of the given words. 1. morality 2. recognition 3. invalidated 4. portrayal 5. investigation III. Choose the word that can replace the underlined part in each sentence without changing its original meaning. P140 1. A 2. C 3. B 4. D 5. D IV. Fill in the blank in each sentence with a word or phrase taken from the box in its' appropriate form. 1. humanity 2. lead 3. investigated 4. demeanor 5. inhumane V. Write in each space one word that has the same suffix as underlined in each given word. 1. aristocracy 2. patriarchy 3. geology 4. telegraphy 5. empathy 6. politics Grammar Exercises P141 I. Note the use of the italicized parts in the following sentences. Note that some subordinators can introduce nonfinite clauses or verbless clauses. II. Rewrite the italicized parts using nonfinite clauses or verbless clauses. 1. While flattered, I must decline to accept. 2. I was wondering whether to go upstairs or to follow Mr. Maxim to the library. 3. Whenever possible, the children play outside in the fresh air. 4. It is an illness that can result in total blindness if left untreated. 5. Send the goods now if ready. 6. Though no good swimmer, Mary splashed about happily in the sea. 7. Once over the pass you will see the town below you. 8. Whether by accident or by design, he arrived too late to help us. III. Complete the following sentences with the appropriate words in the box. 1. Once 2. Though 3. If 4. when, when 5. whether 6. Unless 7. Before 8. After IV. Make sentences, using the words given + nonfinite or verbless clauses. P142 ( Omitted. ) V. Make sentences of your own after the sentences given below, keeping the underlined parts in your sentences. 1. By the time he was six, his parents had divorced. e.g. By the time the customer is ready to pay for a purchase, she has already made the rational, thought-out decisions on what she needs and wants to buy. By the time we got there, the beaches had been taken and the fight had moved a couple of miles inland. 2. Despite concerns over public acceptance of the last one, ... and a nomination for Best Actor. e.g. Despite extensive training programs, plant operators can still make mistakes. Despite discouragement from many large oil companies, alcohol may provide a sensible, quick alternative to fossil fuels. Translation Exercises Translate the following sentences into English, using the words or phrases given in the brackets. 1. Most sportsmen are at their best during their early manhood. 2. I am not legally his mother, but I feel I have a moral responsibility to help him. 3. The film was so compelling that I could scarcely take my eyes off the screen. 4. They were destined by fate never to see each other again. 5. Laurence's novels were rejected at first, but they later came to be recognized as works of genius. 6. Philip was often found sitting alone in front of the fire meditating quietly. 7. Modem research has shed great light on this question. 8. The coming of the new manager breathed new life into the company, and soon it prospered. Exercises for integrated skills I. Dictation. One hundred years ago,/ people became famous / for what they had achieved. Their accomplishments are still evident/in our own day. Today's celebrities, however, / often do not become known / for any enduring achievement. / They are most highly publicized / by the media. To become such a celebrity, / one needs luck, not accomplishment. The hero was distinguished b / the celebrity by his image. Th / the celebrity is a big name. It was closely tied / to the rise of new forms of media / first photography, and later moving pictures, / radio and television. / With the arrival of television, / the faces of the stars became as familiar / as those we saw across the breakfast table. / We came to know more / about the lives of the celebrities. / Less than seventy years after the appearance of the first moving pictures, / the shift from hero-worship / to celebrity-worship / was complete. II. Fill in each blank in the passage below with ONE word you think appropriate. 1. an 2. of 3. is 4,. such 5. but 6. up 7. does 8. had 9. to 10. to 11. with 12. for 13. matter 14.. who 15. a Listening exercises P143 TRANSCRIPT Harry Potter, the Box-office Magic Here's Richard McCaffrey with a look at this week's top five films at the US box office. At five, Black Knight, Martin Lawrence does the time warp in the comedy the critics didn't find funny. Billy Crystal and John Goodman supply the voices to the animated hit, Monsters, Inc., now at number four. Robert Redford outsmarts the CIA and rescues his buddy in the espionage thriller, Spy Game, now at three. At two, Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman show courage under fire in the military drama, Behind Enemy Lines. And Daniel Radcliffe, the young wizard, does his magic for a fifth week: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is number one. Part B The screen version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has performed magic at the box office. Breaking records in the United States and Britain in the first of its release, the film is said to have taken more than $ 90 million in the first three days in the US, that is 20 million more than the previous record set by Jurassic Park. Harry Potter not only shattered Jurassic Park's domestic record of $ 72 million in the debut release, but also reached $100 million domestic in a record four days breaking the Phantom Menace's five-day mark. At Rockville in Maryland, the Raymond family got some of the last tickets of the day to see Harry Potter. This cinema is showing the film on four screens, and they've almost all been sold out. 2,500 tickets were bought before the movie even opened. The British wizard has become a huge star in America, and it definitely lifted the spirits of moviegoers. Viewer 1: I've read the books, and I think they're really exciting. And I like Daniel's Harry Potter very much because he's handsome, cute, smart and he acts so well. He is exactly what I have imagined in my mind while reading the books. Viewer 2: I like those special effects, mostly the witchcraft and all that good stuff. I feel really thrilled when watching the movie. I can't wait to see the second Harry Potter film. And Harry Potter has worked his magic. Even the producers can't believe it. The film made $ 30 million on each of the first three days. It lifted a box office dry spell on the studio, Warner Brothers. Martin Grove (Hollywood Reporter On Line): Warner Brothers has not seen good times at the box office, but what's wonderful about Harry Potter is that it's not just the one movie. The second Harry Potter film and the third Harry Potter film ... are coming one after another. Alan Horn (Warner Brothers): We are in uncharted territory here. We have never had a gross this big. Our industry has never had a gross this big, and so we're having to sort of rewrite the books. Warner Brothers reports that Harry Potter and his friends have enraptured moviegoers of all ages. And even this bookish eighty-year-old. Viewer 3 (80 years old) : It's interesting that this movie captured all of the feeling that you get in reading the book, so it's a great thrill to see the movie. And would they like to see it again? Young viewers: Yeah! Key to listening exercises A. 1. Movies Actors Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone --------- Daniel Radcliffe Black Knight -------------------------------------- Martin Lawrence Spy Game ----------------------------------------- Robert Redford Monsters, Inc. ------------------------------------ Billy Crystal John Goodman Behind Enemy Lines --------------------------- Owen Wilson Gene Hackman 2. Box Office Place 1 2 3 4 5 Name of the Movie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Behind Enemy Lines Spy Game Monsters, Inc. Black Knight Genre of the Movie magic military drama espionage thriller animated comedyB. 1. a. Its box office reached more than $ 90 million in the three days of its debut release in US. b. Its box office reached $100 million in a record four days in US. 2. a. Jurassic Park ($ 72 million). b. Phantom Menace (five days). 3. a. Viewer I thinks Daniel handsome, cute, smart and good at acting. b. Viewer 2 likes those special effects, mostly the witchcraft. c. Viewer 3 thinks the movie captured all of the feeling that one gets in reading the book. Text II Unforgettable Ingrid Bergman P149 Key to questions for discussion 1. Open to discussion. 2. According to the passage, the most striking part of Ingrid Bergman's personality was perhaps her &ferocious dedication to her work&. (Paragraph 4.) Call the students' attention to the fourth paragraph which contains a number of convincing examples and the last 5 paragraphs ( Paragraphs 14 to 18) which describe how she &confronted& each of her last days &with heart breaking gallantry& when she was working on her last film. 3. Open to discussion.Unit 12 Text I Time to Take it EasyText Comprehension P169 I. Decide which of the following best states the author's purpose of writing. C. This can be easily perceived from the title of the essay. II. Judge, according to the text, whether the following statements are true or false. 1. F. The statement is true of Europeans, but not true of Americans. Americans keep themselves busy all the year round, not particularly in summer. Refer to Paragraph 2. 2. T. Refer to Paragraph 7. 3. F. Among the developed nations, the people from the richest are no more likely to be happier than those from the poorest. Refer to Paragraph 9. 4. T. Refer to Paragraphs 11 and 12. 5. F. It is not always the case. Refer to Paragraph 13. III. Answer the following questions. P170 1. Americans are proud of their long and hard work, because they think it has made their nation the richest and most powerful one in the world. 2. Taking into account the preceding sentence &Even Americans are finding time to think about the issue&, we can see that Gini has spent most of his life working and there is not much left. So he has to take time to consider the issue seriously before it is too late. 3. According to Professor Gini, Americans feel uncomfortable with the idea of doing nothing and they need to fill their free time with activities either shopping and sports or entertainment. Gini suggests that Americans should learn &the gentle art of doing ' nothing''', and give some time to contemplation, wonder and development of ideas. 4. Oliver James points out that wealth does make people feel happy in some circumstances as indicated by the comparison between people from developing nations and those in developed ones. However, more wealth does not make people happier when a society can meet all its citizens' basic needs. 5. Those anti-work campaigners believe that we should &work to live, not live to work&. 6. Gini's definition of &being lazy& is that one should not get oneself fully occupied with job- instead, one should give some time to what he/she likes to do. IV. Explain in your own words the following sentences taken from the text. 1 ....I've already spent most of my life in this world ... I've got to take time because my time will soon run out no matter whether I like it or not. 2. Besides offering suggestions in their magazines on how to spend one's free time in a creative way, these &anti-work& advocates organize events like &national phone in sick day& ... Structural analysis of the text In the first part the author presents two contrasting pictures of what continental Europeans and Americans do in summer, thus introducing the theme of the essay how to view the work-leisure issue. The second part tells the readers that the difference largely lies in people's different attitudes to work. The third and fourth parts elaborate on the two different attitudes, as represented by American professor Gini and British psychologist Oliver James. In the last part, Professor Gini explains the true meaning of &being lazy& it simply means &to take it easy& as suggested by the title of the essay. Vocabulary exercises I. Explain the underlined part in each sentence in your own words. 1. usually, ordinarily 2. whether one likes something or not ( implication usu. being the latter); obviously 3. nervous, worded 4. believing firmly in 5. to have a holiday from work II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of the given words. P171 1. to relax 2. argumentative 3. consumption 4. contemplative 5. encouraging III. Choose the word that can replace the underlined part in each sentence without changing its original meaning. 1. A 2. B 3. C 4. B 5. D IV. Fill in the blank in each sentence with a word or phrase taken from the box in its appropriate form. 1. attitude 2. easygoing 3. take it easy 4. iii at ease 5. pretends V. Write in each space one word that has the same prefix as underlined in each given word. 1. universe 2. monologue 3. biannual 4,. multinational 5. homograph 6. panorama Grammar Exercises P172 I. Put the verbs in the brackets into the simple present or present progressive tense. 1. is heating 2. is attending, is starting 3. are you staying, am leaving, am going 4. don't think, is enjoying, keeps, is enjoying, enjoys, know, wants, is expecting/expects 5. think, take, expects, are they doing, are putting, seem, smoke, slows 6. are you looking, am looking, look, puts II. Compare the italicized parts in each group and tell the difference. 1. a. The speaker is complaining. b. The speaker gives a fact. 2. a. (I) am considering b. (I) have the opinion 3. a. It suggests a permanent nature. b. It suggests a temporary behavior. It often means they are pretending to be friendly. 4. a. is taking care of b. have no objection to 5. a and b are almost the same. 6. a. (I) am waiting for b. (I) believe III. Complete the following letter with the simple present or the present progressive tense. P173 Dear sir, We thank you for your letter of 14th May concerning navy blue gaberdine raincoats for schoolgirls, Model No. 3678. In accordance with your instruction we are dispatching two dozen Size 36 raincoats by post today but we regret to inform you that we have no Size 38 coats in stock. We are contacting our suppliers and will let you know the position as soon as we hear from them. In the meantime we enclose/are enclosing our current catalogue for your consideration. Please contact us at once if you decide to change your order. We can guarantee that we have ample stocks of all the goods which are listed. We regret the inconvenience which our inability to supply the Size 38 raincoats from stock has caused and we hope to be able to send you the goods very shortly. We enclose/are enclosing an invoice for the two dozen Size 36 raincoats. Yours faithfully, D. P. Jones Assistant Manager IV. Fill in the blanks with the or my. 1. the 2. the 3. my 4. the 5. the 6. my 7. the 8. the V. Make sentences of your own after the sentences given below, keeping the underlined parts in your own sentences. 1. As well as publishing guides on how to do nothing creatively, these work rebels organize events like &national phone in sick day&, encouraging staff to take unofficial clays off. e. g. Cigarette advertising helps support tobacco-farm families and workers in the cigarette industry, as well as providing revenue to cigarette vendors and government agencies on all levels. The development of river basin will help irrigation, flood control and fishery as well as the production of hydroelectric power. 2. It is about stopping working, doing something you would rather be doing, or the gentle art of doing ' nothing'. e.g. I would rather look at exercise as a way of maintaining a good weight than as an emergency way of losing weight. A significant group of young men would rather risk going to jail than be forced into joining the army. Translation Exercises P174 Translate the following sentences into English, using the words or phrases given in the brackets. 1. On average, 18% of our daily calories come from sugar. 2. Ford Automobile Plant was shut down for two months as a result of the strike. 3. He's decided to give up his business and dedicate himself to charity. 4. The cultural life in the country cannot compare with that of a large city. 5. The country's independence celebrations carded on as if nothing had happened. 6. The report allows the readers to make a direct comparison between the two types of car. 7. The existing (present) stocks of coal should meet our needs for the coming year. 8. He remained there for hours deep in thought, contemplating the mysteries of the universe. Exercises for integrated skills I. Dictation. A foreigner's first impression of the US / is likely to be that everyone is in a rush / often under pressure. /City people appear always to be hurrying / to get where they are going. / Racing through daytime meals / is part of the pace of life in this country. / Working time is considered precious. /Others in public eating places / are waiting for you to finish / so they too can be served/and get back to work/within the time allowed. / Each person hurries / to make room for the next person. / If you don't, / waiters will hurry you. You also find/that people will push past you. /You will miss smiles, / brief conversations with strangers. / Don't take it personally. / This is because people value time highly, /and they resent someone else &wasting& it. II. Fill in each blank in the passage below with ONE word you think appropriate. 1. out 2. divided 3. minutes 4. or 5. world 6. on 7. Time 8. As 9. a 10. communicate 11. or 12. which 13. streets 14. or Listening exercises P175 TRANSCRIPT European Travel Ltd. (A = A M = Mark) A: Good afternoon, European Travel Ltd. Can I help you? M: Yes, I wonder if you can help me. A: We'll try, sir. M: Well, I know we've left it rather late to book up, but three friends and I would like to go to Malta for a fortnight at the end of the summer. A: Well, I'll see what we can do. If you can wait one moment while I get a form, then l can take down all the details and come back to you. (pause) Now, sir, you'd like to go to Malta. M: Yes. But we don't want to stay in a hotel. A: So you want a self-catering arrangement. M: Yes. A: Were you thinking of a villa, or an apartment? M: An apartment, I think. That would be cheaper than a villa, wouldn't it? A: Usually, yes. But not always. And when did you want to go? M: Well, when we've all got a bit of money from our holiday jobs. We were thinking of the first two weeks in September. Perhaps from the 1st. A: Well, I'll say, from the lst to the 15th September. And that would be from a Wednesday to a Wednesday, which is quite good, because mid-week flights are not so full and they're sometimes a little cheaper. M: Oh, good. A: How about alternative dates? If that period is difficult, could you all go a week earlier, let's say, or a week later? M: Well, we could go in the last week of August, I suppose. A: Well, I'll put that down as an alternative. 25th August to 8'h September. But you'd rather have the first two weeks in September if possible? M: Yes. A: Now, how many did you say were in the party? M. There'll be four of us. All students. A: Four. Good. And how about the price range? How much did you want to pay? Or I should say, how much were you hoping to pay? M: Well, we thought we might get something for about 100 pounds each. A: Mm, I don't know. Could I put down 75 pounds to 150 pounds? M: Well, no. We can't go to 150 pounds each. Say 75 pounds to 125 pounds, if you like. But we've got to buy or get all our meals, and then we need spending money and so on. A: Well, as I say, I'll see what I can do. I think I know of one company that might have the sort of apartment you're looking for. Any other requests or requirements? M: Only that we'd like to be near the sea or at least not miles away from it. Or, if we have to be a little miles from the coast, we'd obviously like an apartment block with a swimming pool. A: So it's near the sea, or an apartment with a swimming pool. M: Yes. A: Good. Well, as I say, I'll look at a number of brochures for you and try to find something. Then I'll get back to you either later today or early tomorrow morning. So if you could give me your name ... M: Mark. M-A-R-K. Mark Dawson. That's D-A-W-S-O-N. A: That's fine. And your address? M: A hundred and fifty-three. One, five, three. Lauderdale Road. That's L-A-U-D-E-R-D-A' L-E Road. A: And your telephone number so that I can call you back. M: 3572468. A: 3572468. Good. And you'll be at that number for the rest of today and tomorrow morning. M: Yes. A: Well, leave it with me for now. I'm sure I can find something. M: Good. Thank you very much indeed. A: It's a pleasure. Goodbye. M: Goodbye. Key to listening exercises B. European Travel Ltd. &Casual Enquiry& Form Enquiry regarding holiday to/in: Malta Accommodation required (Tick as appropriate): a) __ hotel __ bed & breakfast __ half board __ full board b) self-catering __ villa apartment Period: from 1st Sept. to 15th Sept. Alternative: from 25th Aug. to 8th Sept. Travel: flight __ train __ ferry Number of people in party: 4 Price: range from £75 to £125 Any other special requests or requirements: It's near the sea, or an apartment with a swimming pool. Name: Mark Dawson Address: 153, Lauderdale Road Tel. No.: 3572468 Text II Less Work Is the Secret to a Richer Life Key to questions for discussion Open to discussionUnit 13 Text I Focus on Global WarmingText Comprehension P185 I. Decide which of the following best states the author's purpose of writing. A II. Judge, according to the text, whether tile following statements are true or false. 1. F. Refer to Paragraph 1. The Internet research only proves that this problem is as familiar to the public as Madonna and microwave cooking. 2. T. The answer can be found in Paragraph 4. 3. F. Refer to Paragraph 5. The gathered data show the increase of temperature and sea level, but decrease (recession) of glaciers. 4. F. Refer to Paragraph 6. The temperature of the land surface will be higher than that of the ocean in summer, and the Northern Hemisphere will witness greater increase in temperature than the rest of the world. .5. F. Refer to Paragraphs 8 to 10. First of all, we should take immediate actions to cut our consumption of fuels and protect forests. Then we need long-term policies, including developing clean cars. III. Answer the following questions. 1. The answer to this question can be found in Paragraph 2. People's concern with the global warming is based on fear of low-lying nations being awash in seawater, frequent hurricanes and change of rain and drought patterns. 2. Refer to Paragraph 3. Humans are responsible for the rising concentration of greenhouse gases for the emission of carbon dioxide from their power plants and cars, the decomposition of their trash, their breeding of cattle and use of fertilizers. 3. The concentration of greenhouse gases will trap excessive heat and prevent it from leaving the Earth, hence the global warming. 4. The change of climate would bring disastrous consequences to humans. An increase in heat and rain would cause more diseases in equatorial regions. More intense rains would bring about severe flooding and more deaths. And even a moderate rise in sea level could threaten the low-lying islands and nations. And high temperature could lead to more cases of heart disease and respiratory problems. 5. A number of actions should be taken. In the short term, we should reduce the emission of heat-trapping gases, mitigate the impacts of global warming through careful planning. In the long run, we should adopt policies that encourage the use of alternative and clean fuels, and stop deforestation. IV. Explain in your words the following sentences taken from the text. 1. Global warming will probably be the most serious threat to our Earth, if we do not take into account some other possible incidents, such as another world war, collision of our Earth with some large orbiting planets, or spread of incurable diseases. 2. In terms of human health, it is those who live in the poorer countries that will suffer most, because they do not have money to protect themselves against climate changes. Structural analysis of the text P186 In the second part there are three sub-ideas. They are focused on the causes of the rising concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere ( Paragraphs 3 and 4), the effect of such concentration on climate changes ( Paragraphs 5 and 6), and the potential threat of global warming to human health and survival (Paragraph7) respectively. Vocabulary exercises Ps186-187 I. Explain the underlined part in each sentence in your own words. 1. apart from 2. wherever it is possible 3. basically 4. over a long period 5. different II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of the given words. 1. perusal 2. intensified 3. excessive 4.. speculative 5. abundance III. Choose the word that can replace the underlined part in each sentence without changing its original meaning. 1. A 2. D 3. B 4. C 5. D IV. Fill in the blank in each sentence with a word or phrase taken from the box in its appropriate form. 1. focus 2. come up with 3. consciousness 4. threat S. deserved V. Write in each space one word that has the same prefix as underlined in each given word. 1. centimeter 2. kilometer 3. catastrophe 4. superior 5. submerge 6. surpass Grammar Exercises Ps187-189 I. Note the use of present perfect in the following sentences. ( Omitted. ) II. Complete the following sentences using the appropriate verb forms. 1. began, have had 2. Have, talked, have talked, talked 3. has invented 4. have telephoned, am going 5. have been 6. have got III. Make sentences using the time adverbials given. ( Omitted. ) V. Compare the following pairs of sentences and explain the differences. 1. a. The problem exists at the present moment. He needs to do something about it. b. His problem has no present relevance. 2. a. The flood is probably over since the speaker uses simple past tense. b. Georgia is still in flood, because it is still &news&. :3. a. The speaker is referring to some time in the past, maybe yesterday. b. The speaker is referring to any time in the past up to the present moment. 4.. a. David's ankle is giving him pain. He needs a doctor or maybe he is prevented from going somewhere. b. David's ankle is probably OK now. The speaker is referring to some past event which has nothing to do with the present time. V. Make sentences of your own after the sentence given below, keeping the underlined parts in your own sentences. 1. As far as human health is concerned, those hit hardest will probably be residents of poorer countries that do have the funds to fend against changes in climate. e.g. I've no complaint. As far as l'm concerned, everything was perfect. I don't enjoy traveling, I'm afraid. As far as I am concerned, it would just be a waste of money. 2. According to the IPCC, land surface areas will increase in temperature over the summer months much more than the ocean. e.g. According to the continental theory, the surface of the Earth is like the cracked shell of a soft-boiled egg. According to the recent polls, sixty to seventy percent of Americans consider themselves to be moderately happy and one in twenty persons feels very unhappy. 3. Fortunately, we can take actions to slow global warming. e.g. Fortunately, despite serious damage to the plant estimated at 2 to 4 billion dollars, most of the radiation was contained. Fortunately, a lifeguard noticed that the woman was drowning and she was rescued. 4. Clearly, global warming is a huge problem. e.g. Clearly, the people of the village didn' they wanted direct information to satisfy their excited curiosity about America and Americans. Clearly, the merchant doesn' he values a loan to expand his business. Translation Exercises P189 Translate the following sentences into English, using the words or phrases given in the brackets. I. Global climate change may have been responsible for the extinction of the dinosaur. 2. Patients with incurable illness often seek alternative treatments such as homeopathy. 3. Economic theory predicts that a fall in the price of a commodity will lead to an increase in consumption. 4. The congress is expected to take strong actions on the problem of organized crime. 5. The ever-present threat of unemployment makes workers less willing to go on strike. 6. Elderly people may face some psychological problems that result from their loss of independence. 7. The car industry, like most other industries, is feeling the effects of the recession. 8. Your success at college partly depends on how well you can adapt yourself to the new environment. Exercises for integrated skills Ps189-190 I. Dictation. It could be the title of/a 21st century horror movie :/ &Death by Global Warming&. / Instead, it is a real-life warning / from an American university ecologist / who believes / global warming / may account for / millions of human deaths from disease. / Right now / the evidence of/ significant global climate change / is minimal, / but there are already / noticeable increases/ in human diseases worldwide. / Most of the increase in disease / is due to numerous environmental factors, / including infectious disease, / pollution by chemicals/ and biological wastes, / and shortage of ford. / Global warming will only / make matters worse. / Global climate change / will result in a loss of available food. / Although there may be some benefits / in crop production from warmer climates, / these beneficial effects/will not be so great. / Crop losses from plant disease and weeds / will increase in a warmer climate. Il. Fill in each blank in the passage below with ONE word you think appropriate. 1. father 6. whether 11. to2. among 7. up 12. as3. with 8. much 13. whose4. to 9. that 14. to5. by 10. notListening exercises Ps 190-191 TRANSCRIPT I Love Trees I love trees because they are an important commodity to the environment. They make life possible on this planet, along with other plants. I also love the trees' glorious display of colors in the fall. I love trees because they have many different shades of green, so many that it's almost impossible to count. When I paint a picture of a tree I use many shades of green and many more shades of brown. My favorite thing about trees is that they always seem to have a glow around them. I love trees because they always smell so fresh and clean. I like to go to the nursery because I love the smell of trees, it's so refreshing. It's a glass of cool water on a hot day, or a damp cloth on a hot forehead. I love to plant trees. I love to dig through the soil to make a hole in which the trees will rest. I love to place the trees in the ground, making sure not to disturb the roots, which will be the trees' support. I love to water the trees. I love to pour the water on the trees knowing that it will grow. One of my favorite things about trees is that they are fun to climb. I started climbing trees when I was very little. My dad taught me how to climb, along with some useful tips. I especially like to climb my grandpa's apple tree. I love to wind through the branches, and climb to a board that has been placed there. Once up, I like to think and relax, or bring a book up with me. It is fun to let my imagination run away with me while munching apples. I love trees in autumn when they display their beautiful colors. In the autumn time, splashes of red, yellow, orange, and green decorate the mountainside. The maples go red, the oak and aspen go yellow while the evergreens maintain their beautiful shade of green. Trees make life possible because they use the carbon dioxide and release oxygen, which makes it so that we can breathe. If we exterminate trees, the effects could be fatal. There may be global warming, lack of oxygen, and we would definitely not have any lumber or paper. Trees are very important to the environment. The beauty of trees makes me feel peaceful, and inspires me to make the best of myself. Key to listening exercises A. commodity ( n. ): product. nursery (n.): greenhouse, a place where plants are cultivated. damp (n.): a slight wetness. soil (n.): ground, dirt. disturb ( v. ): to bother, upset. munch (v.): to eat and chew lightly. evergreens (n.): plants that do not lose their leaves and stay green throughout the year. exterminate (v.): to destroy, kill off. lumber (n.): wood from trees. B.... they are very important to the environment. ... they have many different shades of green. ... they always smell so fresh and clean. ... they are fun to climb. ... they display beautiful colors in autumn. ... they make life possible. ... they make her feel peaceful and inspire her to make the best of herself. C. 1. She uses many different colors of paint. 2. The smell. 3. She likes to think and relax, or read a book in the tree while eating apples. 4,. They produce oxygen so we can breathe. 5. The girl believes that trees help her become a better person. Text II The Villain in the Atmosphere Key to questions for discussion 1. It obviously refers to carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide causes the sea level to rise continually and forces mankind to retreat inland. It leads to the loss of much of the most productive farming areas of the world, which means that starvation is in store. It generates the &greenhouse effect&, keeping the global temperature on the rise. 2. Less heat is lost at night because of the presence of carbon dioxide, which makes the Earth warmer. This is just like a greenhouse, which lets in sunshine but prevents the loss of heat, resulting in a rise of the temperature inside it. 3. Open to discussion.Unit 14 Text I The Jeaning of AmericaText Comprehension P202 I. Decide which of the following best states the author's purpose of writing. B. II. Judge, according to the text, whether the following statements are true or false. 1. F. Levi Strauss's business is closely related with his blue jeans, and the history of the blue jeans is the focus of the essay. 2. F. Refer to Paragraphs 4 and 6. Strauss's success is mainly through his luck an accidental discovery of miners' need. 3. T. Refer to Paragraph 5. 4. T. Refer to Paragraphs 4 and 7. III. Answer the following questions. P203 1. Blue jeans are an American symbol, because they are &a manly and legitimate passion for equality&; they draw no distinctions and recognize no classes, so they are favored by people from all walks of life. 2. Levis Strauss invented his blue jeans largely by chance. He brought some canvas which he hoped to sell for tenting in the West, but it was the wrong kind. After learning that the Western miners needed tough and sturdy pants in their work, he had the canvas tailored into a pair of stiff but ragged pants, which was an immediate success. 3. The word &jeans& derives from Genes, the French word for Genoa, where a similar tough cotto Levis Strauss had this cloth dyed indigo (blue), hence &blue jeans&. 4. At first, blue jeans were popular among the working people in the West. They came to the East during the dude ranch craze in the 1930s when those vacationing Easterners brought them back and spread the word about the wonderful pants. Blue jeans gained more popularity in the Second World War when they became an essential commodity and were only used by those in military service. 5. The main reason is that the blue jeans, besides their proletarian look, are adaptable to &any sort of idiosyncratic use& and suitable for various decorations and ornaments. 6. The title suggests how an American symbol, namely the jeans, came into being. Call the students' attention to the basic meaning of the structure &the + -ing + of + noun&. &The shooting of a tiger&, for example, means the fact that or the way how a tiger is / was shot. Similar examples include: &the building of a house& and &the making of history&. In the text, the title literally means &how America is jeaned&. Since the jeans are a symbol, it should be interpreted as &how America came to be symbolized by the jeans “or” how that American symbol was invented. IV. Explain in your own words' the following sentences taken from the text. 1. They do not show differences in the wearers' professions and social status. They are just an American symbol. 2. For two years, he worked as a peddler of low social status, dragging heavy bags of various articles from door to door and trying to sell them. But he could barely manage to support himself. Structural analysis of the text The first part ( Paragraph 1 ): the present status of the blue jeans in America and in the world. The second part ( Paragraphs 2 and 3): the introduction of Levis Strauss, the inventor of the blue jeans. The third part (Paragraphs 4. and 5 ): the detailed description of how Strauss made his first blue jeans. The fourth part (Paragraph 6): the growing business and popularity of the blue jeans. The fifth part (Paragraph 7): the peculiar merits of the blue jeans. Vocabulary exercises I. Explain the underlined part in each sentence in your own words. l. spread 2. do not indicate differences/ do not distinguish people according to their social status 3. make just enough money to survive 4. eagerly accepted the opportunity 5. and people of the same kind II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of the given words. P204 1. emigration 2. exaggerated 3. adaptable 4.. conversion 5. prosperity III. Choose the word that can replace the underlined part in each sentence without changing its original meaning. 1. A 2. D 3B 4.. D 5. C IV. Fill in the blank in each sentence with a word or phrase taken from the box in its appropriate form. 1. favor 2. sought after 3. break up 4. stand up to 5. had run out of V. Write in each space one word that has the same prefix as underlined in each given word. P205 2. paratyphoid 3. common 1. perfect 4. outsmart 5. subentry 6. proceed Grammar Exercises I. Note the use of the past perfect in the following sentences. In these sentences, the past perfect expressed &past in the past&. II. Put the verbs into the simple past or past perfect. 1. had waited, turned up 2. differed 3. felt, had been settled 4. had been read, were 5. refused, had seen 6. had known 7. had spoken 8. had (originally) been built, had been converted, were dissolved III. Complete the following sentences, using &have ... done&. 1. have the pockets riveted 2. have it repaired 3. have it dry-cleaned 4. have your hair cut 5. have my daughter educated 6. have her passport visaed IV. Fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the verbs given in the brackets. P206 1. driving 2. picked 3. talking 4. disobeyed 5. walking 6. come V. Make sentences of your own after the sentence given below, keeping the underlined parts in your sentences. 1 .... the Wyoming man who used his jeans as a towrope to haul his car out of a ditch ... e.g. You can use this dictionary as a stool to sit on. The King used the castle as a prison to keep prisoners in. 2. And it seems likely that they will outlive even the necktie. e.g. It seemed likely that Sara will study engineering instead of sociology. It seems likely that they'll spend their whole life together, even though they have only just met. 3. The pants have become a tradition, and along the way have acquired a history of their own C so much so that the company has opened a museum in San Francisco. e.g. Confucianism has had a tremendous impact on Chinese culture, so much so that you simply can't talk about Chinese culture without talking about Confucianism. The Kingdom of Han relied on the wisdom of Zhuge Liang, so much so that it collapsed soon after he died. Translation Exercises Translate the following sentences into English, using the words or phrases given in the brackets. 1. It's important to draw a distinction between the policies of the leaders and the views of their supporters. 2. In Europe, the color white symbolizes purity but in Asia it is often the symbol of mourning. 3. The tour group is confined to the planned activities. 4. Once the rumour gets round, he'll never work in this town again. 5. He's always running out of money before payday. 6. He got the Nobel Prize for Peace because he was engaged in the promotion of world peace all his life. 7. The children have found it difficult to adapt to living in an apartment they want a garden to play in. 8. A Swiss company has found a way to convert animal waste into fuel. Exercises for integrated skills I. Dictation. As the eldest son of my parents/ who were themselves poor, / I had, fortunately, to begin / to do some useful work in the world / while still very young / in order to earn a living / and therefore came to understand / even in early boyhood / that my duty was to assist my parents / and become, as soon as possible, / a breadwinner / in the family./ It was a terrible task for a lad of twelve / to rise every morning, except Sunday, / to go to the factory / while it was still dark, / and not be released / until after darkness came again / in the evening, / forty minutes' break only / being allowed at noon./ But I was young and had my dreams, / and something within always told me / that this would not, / could not, / should not last / I should some day / get into a better position. / Also, / I felt myself/no longer a mere boy, / but quite a little man, / and this made me happy. II. Fill in each blank in the passage below with ONE word you think appropriate. P207 1. a 2. than 3. for 4. When 5. because 6. of 7. from 8. that 9. as 10. for 11. how 12. of 13. my 14,. man 15. else Listening exercises P208 TRANSCRIPT Youth Fashion Show Presenter: Good evening to all our fashion-conscious listeners and welcome to our Show this evening. I shall be describing all the latest designs from the young winners of art school fashion competitions around the country. Four area winners are girls, two are men. All the clothes exhibited tonight eighteen outfits in all are made from inexpensive materials at prices young people can afford. Our first model, Joanne, is wearing a long, knitted skirt, check blouse and denim waistcoat with a silk scarf and black ankle-length boots The whole outfit looks just perfect for outdoor wear. Joanne made the skirt and blouse herself, borrowed the waistcoat from her boyfriend and got the boots very cheaply at a Wal-Mart. She estimates her total expenditure at just over ~ 13. Her grandfather gave her the trilby! Angela, our youngest model, is a sailing enthusiast and she's wearing a dazzling white T-shirt tucked into a pair of baggy blue jeans which looks just about ideal for a weekend afloat! To cap it all she's borrowed a real sailor's hat and, just in case a chill wind blows, she's got her black, zip-up jacket slung casually over her shoulders. For footwear she has white socks and trainers. A perfect outfit, I'd say, for turning a few heads in the Yachting Club ! Cost :~ 11.30. Anne-Marie is wearing a very unusual tartan cloak and a belted tunic made, she says, from two hairdressers' coats. She's stepping out in a pair of very attractive tiding-boots. Altogether, a very effective and striking creation. Just listen to that applause! And all for just under ~ 16 ! Now our next outfit is modeled by Sophie she's hoping to become a professional model one day and she looks eye-catching in her pretty jumper with a short pleated skirt (an old school skirt which she's redesigned herself). Instead of her usual tights she's wearing knee-length socks inside her pointed shoes with very delicate straps. Her brown beret nicely completes the general effect. Everything she's got on added up to a little over £15. That's the end of the first part of our Show,
if you've ... Key to listening exercises B. 1. Name: Joanne Cost: just over £13 2. Name: Angela Cost: £ 11.30 3. Name: Anne-Marie Cost: just under £ 16 4. Name: Sophie Cost: a little over £15 C. 1. Joanne: a long, knitted skirt, check blouse, denim waistcoat, a silk scarf, and black, ankle-length boots. 2. Angela: a white T-shirt, a pair of baggy blue jeans, a real sailor's hat, a black, zip-up jacket, white socks and trainers. 3. Anne-Marie: a tartan cloak, a belted tunic, and a pair of riding-boots. 4. Sophie: a jumper, a short pleated skirt, knee-length socks, pointed shoes with straps, and a brown beret. Text II Happy Birthday to You P209 Key to questions for discussion 1. According to the author, there are three theories about the popularity of American pop culture in the world, which are explained in the first three paragraphs respectively: first, &it has been 'advertised' and marketed through American films, popular music, and more recently, television'' ( Paragraph 1 ); second, &America is ' a nation of nations', its popular art and culture find it easier to ' return home', to appeal to the traditions and tastes of other countries& ( Paragraph 2 ); and third, &American popular culture is internationally associated with something called ' the spirit of America'& ( Paragraph 3). 2. Open to discussion. 3. Open to discussion.
赞助商链接
racktom.com
copyright &copyright 。共享资料网内容来自网络,如有侵犯请联系客服。

我要回帖

更多关于 sentences 的文章

随机推荐