想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,同时保存到云知识,更方便管理
加入VIP
还剩7页未读,
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢考了这么多的试都不知道,选择题是这么做的_沪江英语学习网
网页版学习工具
Multiple choice tests are one of the most popular forms of assessment utilized by classroom teachers. They are easy for teachers to construct and score. Mastering multiple choice exams are one part mastery of content and one part skillful test taking. The following multiple choice tests strategies will help students improve their scores on a multiple choice assessment.客观题考试是老师用于考察学生最常见的方式,因为它交容易改卷、评分。要想在客观题考试中得高分,一部分要扎实掌握考试内容,还有一部分就是要懂得技巧。下面介绍的几种技巧可以帮助学生提高客观题考试成绩。
Making it a habit of using each of these strategies on a multiple choice test will make you a better test taker.养成一种习惯,在每场客观题考试中都使用这些方法,这样你可以更好地完成考卷。
Read the question at least two times before you look at the answer. Then read the answer choices at least two times. Finally, re-read the question one more time.在看选项之前,至少看两遍题目,然后至少看两遍选项。最后,再看一遍题目。
Always cover up the possible responses with a piece of paper or with your hand while you read the stem or body of the question. Then, come up with the answer in your head before looking at the possible answers, this way the choices given on the test won't trick you.在读题目时要用一张纸或者用你的手盖住选项,然后,在看选项前先在头脑中想出答案,这样试卷中给出的选项才不会让你掉入陷阱。
Eliminate answers you know aren't right. Every answer you can eliminate increases your odds of getting the question correct.删去你认为不正确的选项。每删去一个选项,你做对这道题的概率就高一点。
Slow down! Read all the choices before choosing your answer. Do not assume that the first answer is correct. Finish reading all the other choices, because while the first may fit, a latter one may be the better, more correct answer.放慢速度!在选出答案前看完所有的选项。别认为第一个答案就是对的。看完所有选项,因为尽管第一个选项可能合适,后一个选项可能是更佳的答案。
If there is no guessing penalty, always take an educated guess and select an answer. Never leave an answer blank.如果猜测不会倒扣分的话,那么就凭借以往的知识猜一个答案。不要把题目空着不答。
Do not keep on
usually your first choice is the correct one unless you misread the question.不要一直更改答案,通常你的第一选择是对的,除非你误解了题目的意思。
In "All of the above" and "None of the above" choices, if you are certain one of the statements is true do not choose "None of the above" or one of the statements are false do not choose "All of the above".遇到“以上全是”或者“以上全不是”这种选项,如果你确定一个选项是正确的,不要选“以上全不是”,如果你确定一个选项是错误的,不要选“以上全是”。
In a question with an "All of the above" choice, if you see that at least two correct statements, then "All of the above" will be the correct answer choice. 遇到“以上全是”这种选项,如果你发现至少有两个选项都是对的,那么就该选“以上全是”。
Tone can matter. A positive answer choice is more likely to be correct over a negative answer choice. 语气很重要。正确的答案往往是一个肯定的选项,而非否定的选项。
Wordiness is a good indicator. Usually, the correct answer is the choice with the most information. 长度是一个很好的暗示。通常,正确的选项含有的信息量最大。
If all else fails, choose response (b) or (c). Many instructors subconsciously feel that the correct answer is "hidden" better if it is surrounded by distractors. Response (a) is usually least likely to be the correct one.如果以上技巧都用不到,那就选B或者C吧。A选项通常都不对。
Stay within the lines. Be sure that you have filled the appropriate bubbles carefully WITH A #2 PENCIL. Be sure that there are no stray marks.别画出线外。确保你用2B铅笔填涂完整,不要画出规定范围之外。
Take the time to check your work before you hand in the answer sheet. On a timed test, utilize every second of time that you have to go over your answer choices as much as possible. On an untimed test, check over everything multiple times.交卷前要检查。在有时间规定的考试中,利用每一秒,尽可能多的注意的选的答案。在不限时的考试中,仔细看每一个选项。
声明:本双语文章的中文系沪江英语原创内容,转载请注明出处。中文仅代表译者个人观点,仅供参考。如有不妥之处,欢迎指正。
相关热点:当前位置: >>
英语单项选择题-词汇篇-答案详解
二、词汇题(650 题) 1. The manager asked his secretary if it was possible for her to ______ the investment plan within five days. A) work out C) take out 2. She called me up______ she received my letter. A) promptly C) quickly 3. B) immediately D) properly B) make out D) set outLeaning a foreign language is a question of learning new skills, or a question of ______ new knowledge. A) obtaining C) achieving B) gaining D) acquiring4.Scientists have found new uses for some ______ such as mercury and lead. A) stuff C) substances B) matters D) materials5.This book is ______ as it is the only one ever signed by the author. A) special C) rare B) unique D) unusual6.Ann‘s boss is always finding ______with her the way she does things. A) error C) fault B) mistake D) flaw7.Mozart began to ______ poems and taught literature at the age of 20. A) compose C) write B) make D) create8.The young doctor treated his ______ with great patience A) clients C) consumers B) clerks D) customers9.If a person talks about his weak points, his listener is expected to say something in the way of ______. A) discouragement C) encouragement B) persuasion D) confirmation10. His superior is often caught ______ by his smart questions dealing with transactions A) up C) on B) out D) up with11. The accused man was found not guilty and was ______. A) excluded C) driven B) discharged D) dismissed12. The lawyer really didn‘t know how to ______ the problem. A) tackle C) deal B) cope D) dispose13. A witness in a murder trial is ______ to know the facts in the case. A) assumed C) consumed B) resumed D) assured14. Gettysburge was the ______ of the most important battle in the American civil war. 1 A) view C) sightB) scene D) landscape15. She claimed she was ______ to a social position high above those of the commons due to her noble birth. A) entitled C) granted B) given D) assumed16. It was ______ for Mary to wear a T shirt at the press conference. A) out of question C) out of order B) out of place D) out of practice 5117. At the end of her trial, she was ______ to three years ‘ imprisonment. A) found C) sentenced B) convinced D) condemned18. If you have a ______ to make about the quality, we are willing to help you. A) dislike C) discontent B) discomfort D) complaint19. Although I had told them not to keep me waiting, they made no ______ to speed up the deliveries. A) trial C) action B) attempt D) progress20. John‘s black eye gave ______to rumours that he had been in a fight. A) rise C) suspicion B) reason D) impulse21. It seemed as if all of a ______ the animal had smelt danger in the air. A) sudden C) minute B) moment D) once22. The patient‘s condition is now ______; if he can‘t get proper treatment, he will die. A) vital C) emergent B) urgent D) critical23. When the maid was questioned about the missing nacklace, she firmly ______ having seen it before. A) rejected C) denied B) refused D) ignored each other.24. The two countries have always been on good ______ with A) friendship C) connectionB) relations D) terms25. Mr. Wang wants to get his decayed tooth ______ this afternoon. A) repaired C) filled B) mended D) cured26. The engineer ______ a rare disease when he was working in Africa. A) took C) caught B) suffered D) infected27. After the music had ______ there was a moment of absolute silence. A) died out C) died away B) died off D) died down28. Fred‘s good nature makes him the most ______ boy in the school. 2 A) well-known C) preferableB) favorable D) popular29. What he described as a ____ detail, I thought, was the most important part of the plan. A) common C) mere B) plain D) flat30. Without the friction between their feet and the ground, people would ____ be able to walk. A) in no time C) in no way B) by all means D) on any account31. There is pressure on the British Government to ____ the number of immigrants permitted to settle in the U.K. A) confine C) restrain B) decrease D) limit32. The tourist is prevented from entering a country if he doesn ‘t have ______ passport. A) an operative C) an effective B) a valid D) an efficient33. According to the psychoanalyst Signumd Freud, wisdom comes from the ____ of maturity. A) achievement C) fulfilment B) accomplishment D) establishment34. The board of the company has decided to ____ its trade to all parts of the world. A) enlarge C) stretch 35.Accuracy and preciseness are vital in academic A) circus C) circles ____. B) cycles D) circuits B) expand D) extend36.In many societies, a person who fails to conform to conventional behavior is likely to be ____ by others. A) avoided C) retreated B) neglected D) ignored37. We are now living in an age where every mind feels the ____ of the new ideas. A) impact C) impression B) impulse D) shock38. John‘s news report covering the conference was so ____ that nothing had been omitted. A) concrete C) comprehensive B) integrated D) abstract39. I thought you might be interested to hear about a ____ phenomenon which I had observed. It was really peculiar. A) revealed C) scarce B) brilliant D) curious40. I hope Mrs. Smith will take my recent illness into ____ when judging my examination. A) account C) count B) regard D) observation41. The lawyer asked the witness to ______ the facts just as he remembered them. A) setting down C) putting across B) setting out D) putting away42. ____ of money prevented us from finishing the research work this year. 3 A) Expense C) LimitB) Lack D) Short43. Tall-growing crops should be planted where they will not shade or ____ with the growth of smaller crops. A) interrupt C) disturb B) interfere D) distract44. The farmers are more anxious for rain than the people in the city because they have more at ____. A) danger C) loss B) stake D) threat45. The famers in the mountain area bring their ______ to town early each Saturday morning. A) products C) manufactures B) output D) produce46. The lady was detained by the police at the airport because his passport was found to be ____. A) an artificial one C) an untrue one B) an unnatural one D) a false one47. The ____ of the book, with the text on the left and the notes on the right, makes pleasant reading. A) layout C) pattern B) system D) style48. In the long-distance race, Marvin took the lead , and ______ it till the end of the race.. A) obtained C) persisted in B) maintained D) insisted on49. Experts say walking is one of the best ways for a person to ______ healthy. A) preserve C) maintain B) stay D) reserve50. It is natural for young people to be critical of their parents ____. A) at a time C) at times B) between time D) at the time51. Normally he is rather _____ but sometimes he talks freely about himself. A) sociable C) serious B) reserved D) peaceful52. Please give my ______sincere regards to all the members of your family. A) honest C) true B) sincere D) hopeful53. With night falling we employed a guide to ______ us on our way up the mountain. A) take C) conduct B) guide D) lead54. Current hiring policies in China seek to ____ equal employment opportunities for women and minority groups. A) continue C) provide B) confirmed D) presented55. The mechanic examined the car engine ______ but could find nothing wrong with it. A) exactly C) thoroughly B) completely D) throughout56. After giving birth to children, many women now take active part in sports and ______ of different kinds. 4 A)matches C) racesB) games D) events57. Your grandfather is rather tired so do not ______ your visit. A) postpone C) delay B) lengthen D) prolong58. He has recently got an interesting ______ in a textile factory. A) work C) profession B) job D) employment59. Only thoroughly unpleasant people leave the ______ of their picnics to spoil the appearance of the countryside. A) remains C) container B) rest D) content60. Papers clips, drawing pins and safety-pins were ______ all over the floor. A) delivered C) separated B) scattered D) sprayed61. The neighbors do not consider him quite ______ as most evenings he awakens them with his drunken singing. A) respective C) respectable 62. The autumn air felt ______ so she went to fetch a coat. A) cool C) cold B) chilly D) fresh B) respected D) respectful63. The melting of the snow has caused flooding by _____ rivers A) increased C) overgrown B) expanded D) swollen64. Make sure you ______ your food properly before you swallow it. A) have C) chew B) eat D) bite65. The leather goods failed to _____ the required standard and were sent back to the shop. A) live up to C) come up to B) face up to D) give way to66. With an eighty-hour week and little change of enjoyment, life must have been very ______ for the nineteenth-century factory workers. A) weary C) dark B) anxious D) dreary67. Peter wants to rent a flat, ______ , one reasonably near his company. A) eventually C) if possible B) in fact D) really68. One of the tigers has got ______. Warn everyone of the danger. A) lose C) loosened B) loose D) lost69. Free medical treatment in this country covers sickness of mind as well as ______ sickness. A) usual C) ordinary B) regular D) average70. Now my parents live partly on their pension and partly on the ______ of their savings account. 5 A) income C) interestB) wages D) salary71. Every day thousands of ______ fly the Atlantic for negotiations with American firms. A) merchants C) businessman B) dealers D) tradesmen72. He ______ spends his holidays in the mountains though occasionally he goes to the seaside instead. A) usually C) rarely B) invariably D) always73. Before you ______ down other people, it is as well to consider your own faults. A) turn C) run B) bring D) send74. Though it was only a ______fever, the doctor gave me an injection. A) mild C) weak B) small D) faint75. This was one of many horrible crimes they ______ against Chinese people. A) make C) commit B) perform D) achieve76. As a result of the radio ______ for help for those who lost their homes in the earthquake, over a million pounds has been raised. A) appeal C) program B) call D) demand77. An ambulance must have priority as it usually has to deal with some kind of ______. A) urgency C) crisis 78. The brain needs a ______ supply of blood. A) continual C) continuous B) constant D) lasted B) danger D) emergency79.The explorer ____ all the way to the source of the river by boat. A) drove C) travelled B) rode D) followed80. Remember not to ______ your stomach by eating too much rich food. A) hurt C) harm B) destroy D) upset81. The kindergarten is half empty as a serious epidemic of measles has broken ______. A) up C) in B) out D) down82. To our amazement, both his health and his business ______ within a year. A) fell C) dropped A) relieved C) released B) sank D) collapsed B) relaxed D) relayed83. The old couple were ______ to hear that their son had been sentenced innocent.84. Tom failed in the physics exam, it ______ him right because he had not studied for the semester. 6 A) served C) gotB) taught D) put85. The country is well-known for its impressive mountainous ______ . A) views C) scenery B) scenes D) nature86.The _______ in which a child grows up may have an effect on his development. A) condition C) surroundings B) atmosphere D) environments87. These figures can not be ______ with the results obtained in previous experiments. A) constant C) conventional B) consistent D) convenient88. It is frightening to think that the cruel murderer is still ______. A) as follows C) at intervals B) in place D) at large89. As the cloud is drifted away, an even higher peak became ______ to the climbers. A) in sight C) obvious B) visible D) clear90. They were required to ______ the house to the way it might have looked on the 1930s. A) repaired C) recovered B) built D) restored91.The rise in the price of raw material will _____ the market. A) affect C) confirm B) effect D) depress92. A historical novel is a form of ______, which may include many facts. A) legend C) myth B) tale D) fiction93. All of us had been exhausted but felt considerably ______ after a meal and a rest. A) relieved C) recreated B) refreshed D) renewed94. It is really impolite to ______ when someone is speaking to you on the phone. A) hold up C) hang up B) give up D) hang on95. I was sorry to see that you were ______ me as if I had been a criminal. A) regarding C) thinking B) tre D) considering96. Since many students like to fin an apartment near the University, there are very few _____ apartments in the area. A) free C) bare B) empty D) vacant97. The invention of the train enabled many more people to travel ______. A) independently C) readily B) freely D) free98. Our compass and maps proved ______ to us in the walking tours. 7 A) valuable C) profitableB) worth D) valueless99. As one of the four ______ of the company he often had to attend important policy meetings. A) directors C) presidents B) bosses D) governors100. Under the Constitution, government can not interfere ______ the private lives of citizens. A) in C) with B) into D) of101. There was a short______ after the second act of the play. A) gap C) break B) pause D) interval102. The city government has planned to ______ the two islands with a bridge. A) connect C) combine B) contact D) unite103. I can‘t a you must use your own ______. A) opinion C) thought B) justice D) judgement104. By that time, Li siguang had already risen to ______ in the geographical circle in the world.. A) elevation C) phenomenon B) prominence D) significance105. The fundamental ______, which govern all physical processes, are also related to many everyday occurrences. A) rules C) principals B) regulations D) principles106. Negotiations about fixing the ______ between the two countries are still going on. A) border C) edge 107. It is difficult to express it in ______ of science. A) words C) expressions 108. It is said that great men often have great ______. A) errors C) faults 109. His wife earns a high ______ as an account. A) salaries C) incomes B) wages D) savings B) mistakes D) flaws B) terms D) vocabulary B) boundary D) frontier110. Some famous experts and engineers have been called in to plan ______ for boating , tennis, refreshments and children ‘s games in the projected town park. A) equipment C) implement B) instruments D) facilities111. Canadians use their cars for nearly 90 per cent of all personal ______. A) trips C) travels B) voyage D) journey 8 112. Would you mind repeating what you said, I didn ‘t quite ______. A) catch at C) catch up B) catch on D ) catch out113. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name ______. A) in print C) for publication B) in press D) out of the newspaper114. To my great delight, I read in your February ______the letter to the Editor written by my uncle. A) issue C) magazine B) copy D) printing115. It is said that old people do not like having their daily ______ upset. A) custom C) routine B) habit D) practice116. Anyone who has spent time with children is aware of the difference in the way boys and girls respond to ______ situations. A) similar C) alike B) same D) likely117. Though Mr. Ker is not a professional writer, he has became an ______ member of the Writer s‘ Association. A) honor C) honorary B) honored D) honorable118. It is absolutely ______ that our team will win the game. A) exact C) right A) yield to C) stick to B) sure D) certain B) appeal to D) draw to119. The beauty of the mountain is more than I can describe. I ‘m sure whoever sees it will ______ its charm.120. The new secretary has written a remarkable ______ report in a few pages but with all the details. A) concise C) exact B) clear D) precise121. The foreigner reads the Chinese article remarkably well, with a clear ______ agreeable voice. A) delicious C) distinct B) sincere D) distant122. We made plans for a visit but ____ difficulties with the car prevented it. A) frequent C) inefficient B) subsequent D) insufficent123. They have the ____ rights for the sale of Ford cars in this town. A) flexible C) essential B) virtual D) exclusive124. It is a ____ error for people to fancy others in their own position. A) general C) usual B) common D) ordinary125. The difference is only very ____; we can hardly see it. A) slight C) light B) delicate D) careful 9 126. It is the practice of the local club to give ____ performances during the summer. A) desperate C) dramatic 127. He told me his digestive trouble is cured ____ and all. A) for long C) for ever B) for life D) for good B) dangerous D) domestic128. Today‘s newspaper ______ that there will be campaign for find raising. A) writes C) tells B) reports D) states129. Your socks ______ your shoes, they look very well together. A) fit C) match B) suit D) correspond130. The speaker talked about sports in general and about football in ______. A) peculiar C) particular B) special D) unusual131. As it is possible now to import food from distant countries, people today have a more ____ diet than their ancestors. A) various C) varied B) variety. D) variable132. Never use such ____ language in front of your children. A) strong C) heavy B) forceful D) rigid133. Although the area is very poor now, its _____ wealth is great. A) practical C) potential B) possible D) powerfu134. The ____ length of a meter is 40 the exact length is 39.37 inches. A) appropriate C) nearby B) approximate D) strict135. Someone shouted Dfire‖ but it was a ____ alarm and there was no danger. A) untrue C) false B) wrong D) fierce136. You must obtain ______ from the landowner to fish in the river. A) right C) permission B) freedom D) allowance137. That ____ instrument can record even very slight changes. A) tender C) delicious B) tense D) delicate138. The boss failed to carry out some of the provisions of the contract, and now he has to ______ the consequences. A) answer for C) run into B) apply for D) blame on139. Government institutes of statistics are usually ____ the birth rate and the death rate, and the collection and interpretation of other official statistics. A) familiar with B) concerned with 10 C) consistent withD) communicating with140. All units of measurement are ____, because space, time, weight, and other dimensions are not naturally divided into units. A) virtual C) artistic B) beneficial D) artificial141. At that time, the people of this area were ______ to every kind of danger: flood, starvation, disease and war. A) supposed C) opposed B) proposed D) exposed142. Success in diving requires not only skill and balance but also ____ alertness and concentration. A) nervous C) mental B) manual D) mortal143. Economic progress is closely bound up ____ educational development. A) with C) at B) from D) to144. Her grandfather‘s condition looks very serious and it is doubtful if he will ______. A) pull out C) pull up B) pull back D) pull through145. Mrs. Mawson is becoming increasingly ____. Last week she locked herself out of her house twice. A) unconscious C) senseless B) forgetful D) mindless146. it is ______ to insure your jewellery and valuables separately from your house contents. A) probable C) advisable B) valuable D) considerable147. My house is very ____ for getting to work as it is only a few minutes from the station. A) reliable C) suitable B) available D) convenient148. _____ aids are ictures that help you to understand something. A) visual C) video 149. One should not be ____ A) forgetful C) inconsiderate to traffic regulations. B) unconscious D) indifferent B) visible D) virtual150. This copy is ______ with the ones you bought last week. A) identical C) equivalent B) parallel D) equal151. Seen from the top of the mountains, it looks ____ glorious at sunrise. A) fairly C) practically B) justly D) perfectly152. The liquid was heated until the temperature ____ 1000 ?C. A) arrived C) achieved 153. He‘s ______ too pleased with himself. A) fairly B) rather 11 B) reached D) attained C) veryD) quite154. Kerry and his two sisters each had three cookies, and when they went out, hardly ____ cookies were left. A) any C) ever B) some D) few155. The basketball match will be televised ____ from the Worker‘s Stadium. A) alive C) live B) lively D) life156. One car ran too fast and ____ missed hitting the other one. A) slightly C) nearly B) narrowly D) closely157. Half the planet always faces the sun, while the other half is ____ dark. A) clearly C) continually B) consequently D) continuously158. She tried to explained that she was going to pay him forty pounds without _____ next week. A) miss C) failure B) fail D) disappointment159. I know Zoe______ but I have never actually spoken to him. A) by sight C) in sight B) with sight D) on sight160. Kent would like to rent a flat, modern, comfortable and ____ in a quiet environment. A) before all C) after all B) first of all D) above all161. This is a photograph of Lucy taken a few years ____ by her father. A) previously C) primarily 162. Some ____ good luck brought us nothing but trouble. A) seemingly C) uniformly B) satisfactorily D) universally B) precisely D) primitively163. With the civil war lasting for several years, the people of the country are longing for ______ peace. A) previous C) permanent B) practical D) periodical164. She made a ______ mistake of giving him her telephone number. A) mortal C) critical B) fatal D) incurable165. It is very convenient for a businessman to carry a _____ computer when they go on business trip. A) mobile C) movable B) flexible D) portable166. Automobile production of the present time has been increased ____. A) greatly C) infinitely B) highly D) much167. Our company‘s business has been ______ quickly in the recent years. A) enlarged B) extended 12 C) expandedD) broadened168. It is agreed that a good teacher should _____ as well as teach. A) amuse C) dedicate B) instruct D) entertain169. The article is so badly written that I can hardly ______ what the writer is trying to say. A) find out C) think out B) fill out D) figure out170. Paula likes to walk through the woods ____. Her brother prefers to walk with a companion. A) to herself C) by herself B) by herself D) in itself171. It is amazing that a small child of 3 or 4 years of age can sing a song without______ understanding its meaning. A) fully C) entirely well B) really well D) very much172. The international situation has been growing ____ difficult for the past few years. A) simply C) potentially B) mainly D) increasingly173. The essay is a model of style, whether considered ____ or in part. A) as the whole C) in whole B) on the whole D) on whole174.You have done your best to _____ him in correcting his mistakes. A) guide C) help B) assist D) favor175. He came all the way to China for promoting friendship ____ for making money. A) other than C) better than B) more than D) rather than176. Jack is the only person in the office who has been drinking ____. A) heavily C) deeply B) strongly D) seriously177. She knows little of mathematics, and ____ of chemistry. A) none the less C) still less B) even more D) still more178. He made an excellent speech, and everything he said was ______. A) at this point C) beside the point 179. At age 16, he _____ his mother could do anything. A) considered C) claimed B) supposed D) assumed B) to the point D) off the point180. For five miles ______ the road is bordered with apple orchards. A) on end C) to the end B) without end D) to this end181. No longer are contributions to computer technology confine ____ is this more true than in Europe. A) little B) hardly 13 C) seldomD) nowhere182. Countless revolutionary martyrs have ____ down their lives in the interest of the people. A) lain C) lied B) laid D) lay183. After a careful investigation, the committee has decided to ____ the run-down city hall. A) replace C) remove B) renovate D) revise184. In a typhoon, winds ____ a speed greater than 120 kilometers per hour. A) retain C) attain B) assemble D) accomplish185. He always takes full ______ of the mistakes made by his rivals. A) interest C) benefit B) advantage D) profit186. It ____ him more than what was reasonable to have his watch repaired. A) cost C) wasted B) consumed D) spent187. The patient could no longer ____ between illusion and reality. A) compare C) separate B) contrast D) distinguish188. Jean doesn‘t ______ her roommates and there are often disagreements between them. A) get on with C) put up with B) take to D) go on with189. The _____ estimate of grains in gross national product suggested a fast recovery from economic recession. A) primary C) preliminary B) introductory D) previous190. Airline seats should be ______ at least a fornight before you want to travel. A) book C) occupy B) buy D) preserve191. You can see these apples ______ in size from small to medium. A) alter C) change B) differ D) vary192. The bus driver ____ himself badly in the traffic accident. A) injured C) hurt B) damaged D) harmed193. Every year a national plan outlines and ____ special problems for research. A) assigns C) designs B) assists D) delivers194. Mr. Maxwell always takes a ______ with him to clean the windscreen of his car. A) cloth C) clothing B) clothes D) stuff195. When you apply for your passport to be renewed, you have to send a ____ photograph. A) up-to-date B) fashionable 14 C) recent 196. Peter came in and ______ something in Daddy‘s ear. A) shouted C) screamedD) modernB) uttered D) whispered197. Th the pears were particularly ______. A) flavored C) tasteful B) delicious D) desirable198. She when her great-uncle died, she ______ a fortune. A) came by C) came into B) came over D) came about199. Advertising costs are no longer in reasonable ______ to the total cost of the product. A) relationship C) measure B) match D) proportion200. The noise was so faint that only those with excellent ______ were aware of it. A) ear C)hearing B)listening D) ears201. Some teenagers are said to harbor a generalized resentment against society, which ____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature. A) rejects C) deprives B) denies D) declines202. It won‘t ______ to postpone the matter for a few days. A) pain C) harm B) ache D) hurt203. It was in the Far East that I ______ a liking for shellfish. A) achieved C) acquired B) realized D) required204. The secretary went through the typescript carefully to ______ all errors from it. A) abandon C) discharge B) eliminate D) desert205. The oral composition gave the student an opportunity to through speech first. A) showed C) displayed B) expressed D) revealed206. Jean asked her elder sister to ______ the holes in the pocket of her trousers. A) fill C) mend B) fix D) repair207. The judges have decided who the prize winners will be, and will ______the names at the closing ceremony tomorrow. A) declare C) claim 208. They gazed at the stars______ in the lake. A) shaded C) shadowed B) reflected D) refreshed B) name D) announce209. The mayor refused to ______ on the rumor that he had voted against the new housing project.. 15 A) explain C) talkB) scold D) comment210. I have been trying to read this book all day, but somehow I can ‘t ______ to it properly. A) settle for C)settle up B) settle in D) settle down211. Every morning the managing director carries out an inspection of his factory to ______ that everything is ready for the production of the day. A) see C) look B) find D) expect212. That picture doesn‘t ______ here. It‘s too modern for the rest of the furniture. A) suit C) fill in B) fit in D) match in213. The mother ______ yellow balls for green, to see if the baby would notice. A) replaced substituted 214. It was reported that an airliner ______west of Denver A) banged C) struck in the newspaper. B)shifted C) transformed D)B) crashed D) smashed215. He had his leg ______trying to save a mate from a fall of coal. A) damaged C) injured B) spoiled D) wounded216. Children who are always given ______to by their parents soon become spoiled. A) in C) out B) up D) away217. Difficulties and hardships have ______ the best qualities of the young geologist. A) brought up C) brought about B) brought out D) brought forth218. Don‘ just______ that rock and I‘ll come and fetch you down. A) hold on C) keep on B) hold back D) keep up219. The little boy ______ his hiding place when he coughed. A) gave up C) gave off B) gave over D) gave away220. Jean often makes good plans but she cannot ______ with any of them. A) carry on C) carry through B) carry off D) carry forward221. The chairwoman doesn‘t often have much free time as her work ______ all her time. A) takes over C) takes in B) takes away D) takes up222. The meeting was originally fixed for the 14th, but has been ______ to the 7th. A) brought forth C) brought about B) brought in D) brought forward 16 223. When all the tickets were sold, about fifteen people had to be ______. A) pushed away C) driven back B) forced out D) turned away224. Mr.Lamb tried to cope with the ever-increasing burden of his work, but finally he ______and had to take a complete rest. A) broke up C) broke down B) broke out D) broke away225. All the information they have collected in relation to that case ______ very little. A) makes up for C) adds up to B) comes up with D) puts up with226. With increased taxation and rising prices, Mrs Lamb are going to______ on quite a lot of their daily necessities. A) cut off C) cut out B) cut away D) cut down227. His mother ______ at his rude words and slapped him across the face. A) shouted C) flared up B) cried D) took back228. Mr. Manson really ought to _____; all these late nights are doing him no good. A) bring down C) pull through 229. We can‘t ______why he has been behaving so oddly. A) figure on C) figure out B) figure in D) figure up B) slow down D) pass through230. The graceful hill stands out clearly and distinctly ______ the blue sky. A) beneath C) against 231. The dripping of that water is ______ this stone. A) wearing on C) wearingout B) wearing down D) wearing away B) against D) under232. The smell of the new paint will ______ in about a week. A) die off C) get off B) go off D) wear off233. It is said that a heavy______ is imposed on foreign radios. A) tax C) duty B) fine D) rate234. Mrs. Pierce behaved in the most extraordinary way at the party. I can‘t _____her behaviour at all. A) account for C) count in B) count off D) take into account235. Not long ago, Professor Lynd, whom you know very well, was ______ a car accident. A) related to C) involved in A) hit C) shook B) included in D) damaged by B) beat D) swept 17236. The lack of job opportunities ______ the town hard that winter. 237. Would you mind repeating what you said, I didn‘t quite catch ______. A) up C) on B) at D) out238. It is difficult to ______a conversation with someone who only says ?Yes‘and ?No‘. A) keep to C) keep on B) keep up D) keep down239. Michael stayed up late studying before the examination in physics, and it ______ . He made an A. A) paid out C) paid up B) paid off D)paid back240. She couldn‘t ______ the lecture at all. It was too difficult for her, A) take to C) take in B) take down D) take on241. No one wishes to deal with a person who is accustomed to _____ . A) eat his words C) break his word B) keep his word D) swallow his word242. A university is an educational institution which awards degrees and _____ research. A) carries out C) carries about B) carries off D) carries through243. Mr. Williams has been invited to _____ the next discussion on this subject. A) address C) take over B) supervise D) preside over244. They did considerable work to acquaint Western readers _____ the present status of the People ‘s Republic of China. A) for C) from B) in D) with245. To be a good composer, one must _____ the people and create the music they need. A) feel with C) feel out B) feel like D) feel about246. The nation‘s economy was_____ up and would certainly show a great improvement in the next five years. A) rising C) looking B) getting D) showing247. Ready to give a good account of themselves the players _____ in high spirits at the tournament. A) took the floor C) took the chair B) took the field D)took the air248. The microscopic viewpoint _____ the fundamental physical processes. A) casts light in C) throws light on B) sheds light in D)projects light on249. We must _____ our ideas _____ with the laws of the objective external world. A) bring…into correspondence C) bring…into contact B) bring …into conflict D) bring…into relations250. The foreign students were ______by the excellent spoken Chinese of their teacher. A) carried out C) carried on B) carried away D) carried over 18 251. The journey usually takes six weeks but you should _____ delays caused by bad weather. A) account for C) apply for B) allow for D) arrange for252. He wer only the very finest treatment could have brought him _____. A) to C) off B) through D) down253. The vegetables are _____ nicely, thanks to the rain we‘ve been having. A) coming on C) coming upon B) coming off D) coming out254. The doctor took X rays and ruled _____ the chance of broken bones. A) against C) out B) over D) off255. They demanded a raise in their wages to make up _____ the increased cost of living. A) in C) over B) for D) with256. He has a good centigrade thermometer which _____ changes in temperature very quickly. A) reacts with C) reacts to B) reacts against D) reacts on257. Our company decided to _____ the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not been met. A) resist C) cancel B) assume D) destroy258. The representatives of the company seemed very _____ to the living conditions of the workers. A) liberal C) ignorant B) responsible D)insensitive259. For the term paper she _____ 35volumes of British history. A) worked over C) made over B) threw over D) handed over260. The doorman _____ and telephoned the fire de otherwise the whole builing might have burned down. A) shook his head C) held still B) kept his head D) lost himself261. The first row of the auditorium are _____ for distinguished scholars. A) engaged C) stored B) reserved D) arranged262. The manager promised to keep me _____ of how our business was going in. A) informed C) informing B) on informing D) to be informed263. People of all countries are expected to _____ the principles of the United Nations. A) inspect C) uphold B) upset D) integrate264. Pipes _____ hot water from this boiler to every part of the company. A) transfer C) convey B) transform D) deliver 19 265. When Myron was seventeen he _____ going around with a strange set of people and staying out very late. A) took to C) took up B) took for D) took from266. Not a slightest error in operation escapes Mr. Nasmyth ‘s_____ eyes. A) reared C) trained B) educated D) practised267. Students have access ______the library during the vacation. A) to C) of B) toward D) into268. The doctors came to the conclusion that the patient‘s blindness was ______. A) contemporary C) temperature B) consistent D) temporary269. In spite of her good salary, she measured _____ every dollar needed for household expenses. A) by C) out B) off D) up to270. The electric railway is scheduled to be opened to _____ on New Year ‘s Day. A) transportation C) vehicle B) traffic D) movement271. This is an key ______ an improvement of their living conditions. A) to C) of 272. The room was bare of furniture ______ a few chairs. A) but C) except B) except for D) but that B) for D) in273. You can easily get books _____ Shakespeare at any leading bookstores. A) on C) in B) to D) for274. You should consider yourself _____ luck to get such an opportunity. A) for C) in B) out of D) of275. The temperature here should not be allowed to fall _____ 60 Hahrenheit. A) by C) behind B) beneath D) below276. It is said that even today thousands of Londoners set their watches _____ Big Ben. A) of C) by B) from D) below277. The president______ the various factors leading to the present economic crisis at the meeting. A) went for C) went into B) went after D) went on back for several hours278. _____ his return, he learned that his wife had been at the shopping center and would not be A) On C) With B) At D) During 20 279. The door opened and came in an old woman, blind _____ the right eye. A) in C) of B) to D) with280. The living conditions of the country have been seriously worsened, _____ the post war rise in prices. A) on account for C) owing to B) despite D) because281. I‘m sure Grace is the very girl whom you will be glad to get acquainted _____ . A) to C) on B)with D) in282. Joan told her parents about her engagement previous _____ publishing it in the newspaper. A) of C) to B) about D) from283. They are making slow progress _____ the construction of that new road. A) through C) with B) against D) toward284. The work was done to the manager‘s own _____, but in my opinion it was badly done. A) joy C) attraction B) pleasure D)satisfaction285. The food and drink which were ordered for the party failed to come, and the hostess was _____ her wit ‘s end to know what to do. A) at C) of B) in D) on286. You must accustom yourself to be more at your ______ when you are with people. A) relax C) comfort B) ease D) pleasure287. The fact is that _____ polluting the environment the United States is one of the most overpopulated countries in the world. A) in spite of C) in case of B) in excess of D) in terms of288. There i so I‘ll tell you about it ______. A) in brief C) in time B) in short D) in particular289. The President‘s speech was reported _____ in all the leading newspapers. A) for short C) in full B) to the full D) as a whole290. The speaker‘s remarks on the subject are much _____. A) at a point C) to the point B) at this point D) to a point291. If you don‘t have enough cash, why don‘t you make arrangements to buy the car _____? A) to your credit C) on deposit B) on credit D) without a deposit292. Poverty depresses most people, _____ my father it was otherwise. A) in case C) in the case of B) in case of D) in any case 21 293. It is reported that he has won the world diving championship for three years _____ succession. A) in C) on B) at D) by294. The automobile industry was then appearing on the _____. A) stage C) view B) horizon D) world295. The chairman first gave us a summary of the situation and then discussed it _____. A) at intervals C) at issue B) at random D) at length296. _____ improving his ability to speak French, he spends most of his holidays in France. A)To the view C) With a view to B) In the view of D) Out of view of297.We must cherish experience acquired ______our own blood. A) at a cost of C) at no cost B) at the cost of D) at all costs298. Jimmy doesn‘t know whether he is going by car or by train, but _____ he‘ll need money. A) at all events C) in the event B) in that event D) in either event299. The salaries of American judges are rather low _____ with the compensation offered to judicial officers in Europe. A) without comparison C) by comparison B) beyond comparison D) in comparison300. The paint should be mixed _____ one part of paint to two parts of water. A) in the proposition of C) out of proposition to B) in proposition to D) in proposition301. The contract shall remain _____ for a period of ten years. A) by force C) in force B) with force D) to force302. I‘m more _____ agreement with Mr. Moore than with Mr. Winston. A) by C) on B) in D) under303. Steel production has been _____ the decline in these countries. A) in C) on B) to D) of304. For five miles _____ end the road was bordered with apple orchards. A) in C) on B) to D) without305. The ballet called The Sleeping Beauty last night was fantastic _____ expression. A) with C) in B) beyond D) without306. John promised to return the bike at a certain time _____ fail. A) with C) from B) without D) by 22 307. Allan said he was twenty-one years old and the employment agency took him _____. A) in faith C) on faith B) in good faith D) by his faith308. Situated so close to the border, they lived in fear _____ constant fear of attack by the enemy. A) of C) by B) for D) without309. His colleagues and former students compiled and published his essays _____ his thirty years ‘ service with the University. A) with honors C) on their word of honour B)on their honor D) in honor of310. Trees are planted along both sides of the highway _____ about twenty metres. A) in the intervals C) with an interval B) at intervals D) without interval311. The fair is _____ a symbol of the development of China‘s foreign trade. A) by itself C) in itself B) for itself D) of itself312. Don‘t have him for a friend : he is nothing______ a criminal. A) for C) but B) to D) like313. John and Mary couldn‘t sell all of the lemonade at five cents a cup so they have it _____ for three cents a cup. A) by sale C) to sale B) on sale D) from sale314. I had planned to go at once, but _____ I decided to wait for a few days. A) in thought C) on second thoughts 315. Theory is based on practice and ____ serves practice. A) by turns C) on the turn B) in turn D) out of turn B) beyond thought D) at first thought316. I know Mr. Jones _____; I know who he is but I have never spoken to him. A) on sight C) with sight B) at sight D) by sight317. When they were first marrie4d they lived with the husband‘s parents, but now they have a house _____ their own. A) in C) all B) of D) into318. I t wasn‘t such a good dinner _____ she had promised us. A) what C) as B) which D) that319 When you write an essay, please remember not to _____ off the point. A) wander C) stroll B) drop D) walk320. Mr. Smith‘s article has been published in the latest _____ of Science. A) copy C) magazine B) volume D) issue 23 321. The U.S .is known as a great Dmelting pot‖ _____ its people are of different nationalities from all over the world. A) as C) for B) since D) because322. The destruction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could _____-. A) come up with C) put up with B) stand up to D) make up for323. When environmental conditions change radically, some life forms _____. A) die out C) die hard B) die off D) die back324. _____ nobody was very enthusiastic, they decided to cancel the trip. A) Even though C) While B) As soon as D) Seeing that325. It is because she is too inexperienced _____ she dies not know how to deal with the situation. A) so C) that B) therefore D) so that326. Stormy applause broke forth _____ Julius, a pop star, appeared on the stage. A) one moment C) this moment B) at any moment D) the moment327. It is still in excellent condition ______it was built 600 years ago. A) provided that C) in that 328. In _____, the house is like the letter S. A) form C) shape B) figure D) pattern B) supposing that D) considering that329. Aged and weak, Mrs. Maugham paid _____ visits to her old friends lately. A) scarce C) insufficient B) rare D) inadequate330. Learning a foreign language is a question of learning new skills, of a question of _____ new knowledge. A) obtaining C) getting B) attaining D) acquiring331. After they had reached the top of the mountain, they returned to the _____ camp. A) basis C) base B) foundation D) essence332. It was said that the Japanese once tried to purchase _____ in California. A) earth C) hand 333. Timber is a useful _____ for building houses. A) matter C) substance B) object D) material B) ground D) soil334. Mary‘s white shirt was badly _____ with ink as the ink bottle overturned and spilt over. A) marked C) stained B) signed D) colored 24 335. When I ask you a question, I expect a _____ answer. A) punctual C) rapid B) fast D) prompt336. Some passengers were hurt when the two buses _____on the corner. A) hit C) collided B) knocked D) struck337. Is there anyone who _____ the plans put forward by the committee? A) differs C) refuses B) disagrees D) opposes338. Because of his noble birth, he claimed, he was _____ to a social position high above those of the commons. A) given C) granted B) credited D) entitled339. Make sure you _____ your food properly before you swallow it. A) bite C) eat B) chew D) bark340. Paper clips, drawing pins and safety-pins were _____ all over the floor in her office.. A) sprayed C) disposed B) separated D) scattered341. The _____ of the lake is covered with reeds and rushes. A) beach C) ban B) shore D) coast342. The precious manuscripts were hopelessly _____ by long exposure in the cold, damp cellar. A) damaged C) harmed B) destroyed D) ruined343. That country is again _____ its military force which was defeated by the U.S. and its West Allies in 1992. A) building up C) setting up B) building D) setting344. God is believed, in terms of religion, to have _____ the universe out of darkness and chaos. A) produced C) discovered B) invented D) created345. Mr.Masson used to be a Christian, but he is now _____ to Buddhism. A) converted C) transformed B) changed D) reformed346. Now that he has retired, he lives partly on his pension and partly on the _____ of his savings account. A) income C) tip B) fare D) interest347. Mr.& Mrs. Li _____ spend their holidays in the mountains though occasionally they go to the seaside instead. A) usually C) constantly B) invariably D) always348. We have little _____ information about the development of the West. A) present C) up-to-date B) modern D) contemporary 25 349. That sound doesn‘t _____ in her mother tongue so it‘s difficult for him to pronounce. A) happen C) occur B) take place D) run350. James Saxon has fallen into a queer _____ of walking on his head. A) custom C) convention B) tradition D) habit351. After the theft of her car Mrs.Lamb put in an insurance ______ for $3,000. A) estimate C)claim B) assessment D) account352. This author begins by ______to the early history of India. A) quote C) indicate B) mention D) refer353. Acting is very _____and you have got to push yourself if you want to succeed. A) progressive C) aggressive B)competitive D) impressive354. How can she be so ______ to the sufferings of the victims of the flood disaters. A) inferior C) indifferent B)immune D) indispensable355. I‘m in no ______ this evening to listen to his silly jokes. A) mood C) tendency B) emotion D) sense356. The manager asked me if I had any _____ experience. A) earlier C) preliminary B) before D) previous357. She longed for a good marriage, a secure job and a guranteed income. In short, he wanted______. A) safety C) stability B) insurance D) security358. It is against traffic _____ not to wear seat belts in a car. A) rule C) law B) regulations D) order359. It is ______ well impossible to travel over these mountains in winter. A) pretty C) smart B) nice D) fair360. When he applied for a ______in the office of the local newspaper he was told to see the manager. A) career C) location B) profession D) position361. All cigarette packets carry _____ about the effects of smoking on health. A) an advice C) a warning B) an alarm D) an alert362. Tom met Mary at a party, and it was love at first______. A) view C) sight B) vision D) look 26 363. All medicines should be kept out of the _____ of children. A) contact C) touch A) considerable C) compound B) hand D) reach B) comprehensive D) complicated364. The government gave a very ______ explanation of its plans for industrial development.365. I‘m afraid I haven‘t got time to _____ the matter right now. A) go into C) go around B) get in with D) get into366. It took the soldier a long time to _____ the death of his comrade. A) get aound C) get across 367. That book has been out of _____ for a long time. A) press C) publication 368. Children often enjoy _____ in their parents‘ clothes. A) making up C) dressing up B) stand up D) washing up B) print D) copy B) get over D) get through369. No matter what happens, I will _____ you, so don‘t be afraid. A) stand up to C) stand up for B) stand for D) stand by370. The man _____ fire to the department store deliberately and so he was arrested by the police. A) played C) put B) set D) caught371. My boss insists on seeing everything in _____ before he makes a decision. A) red and blue C) black and white B) green and yellow D) black and blue372. As a result of the radio _____ for help for the earthquake victims, over a million pounds has been raised. A) invention C) programme B) advertisement D) appeal373. He _____ in arguing about the fine points in the contract long after everyone else was satisfied. A) insisted C) stuck 374. The old man was _____ asleep in his chair. A) quite C) completely 375. This is not the ______ picture, but just a copy of it. A) real C) true B) actual D) original B) fast D) very B) held D) persisted376. In fact the U.S. Congress _____ to the British Parliament as they both have the right to make laws. A) agrees C) matches B) corresponds D) coincides 27 377. Negotiations about fixing the ______between the two countries are still going on. A) border C) edge B) boundary D) frontier378. The work is not very profitable _____ cash, but I am getting valuable experience from it. A) according to C) in terms of B) on the basis of D) in view of379. Our library is well equipped and students have easy _____ to the books they want. A) access C) path B) way D) road380. The witness‘s statement about the accident was very _____; we knew almost everything about it now. A) particular C) exceptional B) specific D) special381. The two climbers was ______ from the top of the cliff on a rope held by his friends. A) suspended C) relieved B) suspected D) isloated382. They lay almost flat and _____ through the tube like underground passage. A) climbed C) slid B) crawled D) glided383. Through exposure to air, water, and organic matter, rocks _____ changes known as weathering(风化). A) undergo C) undertake B) transform D) underline384. Mr.Smith is paving the garden ______ with flat stones of various shapes. A) road C) track B) way D) path385. The gentle sloping hills are ______ of northern Germany. A) elementary C)fundamental B) characteristic D) primary386. They have bought the cottage ______ renovating it and reselling it at a profit. A) in view of C) with a view to B) in respect of D)with respect of387. There are many small ______ stores along the street in the area. A) specialized C) specialty B)special D)specialist388. I‘ I would like to accompany you to the station, ______. A) somehow C) therefore B) though D) otherwise389. Though_____ in Beijing, Mr. Li has always preferred to record the plain facts of small town life. A) grown C) developed B) raised D) cultivated390. None of the servants were ______ when Mrs. Smith wanted to send a message. A) available C) approachable B) practicable D) applicable 28 391. The newest satellite can ______ a thousand telephone conversations and a color TV program at the same time. A) carry C) bring B) extend D) take392. Don‘t ______ this news to the public until we give you the go-ahead. A) release C) relate B) relieve D) retain393. It has been tested plastics tend to be ______ these acids. A) resistant to C) attached to 394. You can ______ this desk to the height of any child. A) treated C) adopted B) adjusted D) remedied B) responsible to D) contrary to395. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become ______. A) hurt C) spoiled 396. The captain had an ______ leg, made of wood. A) false C) unnatural B) artificial D) unreal B) damaged D) harmed397. Our limited budget makes it difficult for us to ______ their extravagant (奢侈的)way of living. A) rate C) speed B) pace D) growth398. American women were ______ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle. A) ignored C) refused B) neglected D) denied399. I can‘t give you ______ for the type of car you sell because there is no demand for it in the market. A) an expense C) an order B) a charge D) a purchase400. She made such a ______ contribution to the factory that they are naming one of the new buildings after her. A) genuine C) modest B) minimum D) generous401. In the advanced course students must take performance tests at monthly ______. A) gaps C) intervals B) length D) distance402. You can‘t afford to let the situation get worse. You must take ______ to put it right. A) decisions C) sides 403. The ______ of blood always makes him feel sick. A) sight C) view B) look D) form B) directions D) steps404. Free medical treatment in this country covers sickness of mind as well as ______ sicknesses. A) normal C) average B) regular D) ordinary 29 405. This hotel ______ $60 for a single room with bath a night. A)claims C) prices B) demands D) charges406. Although he had looked through all the reference material on the subject, he still found it hard to understand this point and her explanation only ______ to his confusion. A) extended B) amounted B) added D) turned407. A completely new situation will _____ when the examination system comes into existence. A) arise C) raise 408. It took him several months to ______ the wild horse. A) tend C) cultivate B) breed D) tame B) rise D) arouse409. The view from the other side of the mountain was even more ______. A) productive C) positive B) impressive D) decisive410. Americans ______ have eggs, some meat, toast fruit and coffee at breakfast. A) normally C) consequently B) continuously D) traditionally411. They had an accident on the road and didn ‘t ______ at their hotel until after midnight. A) enter C) check in B) arrive D) reach412. I bought this sixteenth-century diamond ring at a quite ______ price. A) dear C) expensive B) cheap D) reasonable413. This kind of trees cannot be grown in such a cold ______ as ours. A) weather C) air B) climate D) season414. I‘ll be unable to join you. Please _____ my name from the list. A) get rid of C) remove B) take away D) turn off415. My mother ______ my forehead and told me I had a slight fever. A) moved C) sensed B) touched D) felt416. It‘s true that many old people in the United States have to _____ loneliness. A) submit C) suffer B) receive D) endure417. Not long ago, a person whom I know very well was ______ an accident. A) included in C) involved in B) related to D) subjected to418. The result were ______ in comparison with the effort required to achieve them. A) insignificant B) tiny 30 C) minorD) indispensable419. Color-blind people often find it difficult to ______ between blue and green. A) compare C) contrast B) separate D) distinguish420. Cambridge has announced plans to establish a business school ______ the master ‘s degree in business administration. A) representing C) offering B) presenting D) supplying421. There are certain ______ when you must interrupt people who are in the middle of doing something. A) situations C)conditions B) occasions D) environment422. Pupil who pass the test will be ______ to the next grade. A) progressed C) promoted B) proceeded D) proposed423. There was a ______ drop in support for the Union in the 1974 election. A) delicate C) distant B) distinct D) downward424. Throughout his life, Henry Moore ______ an interest in encouraging art in the city of Leeds. A)contained C) reserved B) secured D) maintained425. What he told us about the affair simply doesn ‘t make any ______. A) sense C) meaning B) idea D) significance426. Hitler set out to conquer all of Europe in the belief that the Germans were the master ______. A) race C) blood B) human D) brain427. He is uninterested in education and seemingly unfit for other ______. A) purposes C) pursuits B) employment D) benefits428. In the past twenty Cfive years, workers attained a new ______ of human dignity. A) statue C) status B) station D) state429. Scholarships are too few to ______ the high-school graduates who deserve a college education. A) meet C) adopt B) feed D) accommodate430. The life I lived ______ me into a new kind of human being. A) shaped C) contributed 431. The price of the article is ______to its value. A) place C) way B) question D) proportion B) led D) guided432. His wife left him after a number of ______ attempts to persuade him to give up taking drugs. A) vain B) inefficient 31 C) lostD) missing433. At the interview for the job, he gave a good _____ of himself. A) opinion C) account B) idea D) appearance434. All these children are well-disciplined and highly ______ to their teachers and parents. A) respectful C) amusing B) pleasing D) admirable435. Mr. Keller went over the table again very carefully for fear of ______ any important data. A) skimming C) ignoring B) overlooking D) slipping436. The government spokesman of the country has told the press that the peace talk between the president and the leader of the rebel force has to be ______ for another two days. A) delayed C) stretched 437. There is too great a ______ of beer in Italy. A) drink C) consumption B) use D) sale B) postponed D) prolonged438. In Chinese universities, English is a _____ course for all students. A) comparative C) impulsive B) selective D) compulsory439. The problem will be discussed at length in _____ chapters. A) late C) final B) consequent D) subsequent440. His father ______ at his rude words and slapped him across the face. A) shouted C) flared up B) cried D) flew up441. The judge dismissed the case because there was not ______ evidence. A) adequate C) efficient 442. Fishing is a hobby which needs a good deal of _____. A) stiffness C) patience B) intelligence D) strength B) plenty D) abundant443. Mr. Blake was among the few _____ men who refused to indulge in the foolish trade of the day. A) senseless C) sensitive B) sensible D) sensational444. Chistopher Columber reached the new World in 1492 after he went through all the hardships _____ on the trans-Atlantic voyage. A) imaginable C) imaginary B) imaginative D) imagination445. As civilization _____ in the direction of technology, it passes the point of supplying all the basic essentials of life __ food, shelter and clothes. A) processes C) proceeds B) suspend D) exceeds 32 446. The carriage shot past(飞速驶过), leaving a _____ of dust behind it. A) track C) trace B) trail D) train447. Only a very rich man could afford to buy these _____ paintings by Raphael. A) valueless C) worthless B) priceless D) useless448. The village is well-known for its impressive mountainous _____. A) views C) scenery B) scenes D) sights449. One of the tigers has got _____. Warn everyone of the danger. A) lose C) loose B) loosen D) lost450. The road lay ahead of him, a ____ grey line stretching to the horizon. A) continual C) prolonged B) continuous D) lengthy451. Some birds _____ twice a year between hot and cold countries. A) immigrate C) slip B) migrate D) glide452. It is clear from the demonstration that the students no longer _____ the authority of the university staff. A) recollect C) receive B) recognize D) recover453. it is very difficult for people in some remote towns to have a telephone______, and they have to wait a long time before they can get a phone. A) installed C)fixed B)equipped D) assembled454. The patient‘s progress was very encouraging as he could _____get out of bed without help. A) only C) merely B) nearly D) barely455. The headmaster has _____ to improve the lighting in the school corridors. A) accepted C) agreed 456. All the food in that little cafe is _____. A) home-grown C) home-made B) self-made D) home-bred B) allowed D)confirmed457. Because of the increasing interest in horse ridding, there is a growing need for _____. A) goldsmiths C) silversmiths B) locksmiths D) blacksmiths458. The playing of the national anthem(国歌)______ all sports events. A) proceeds C) processes 459. A person who can hold his anger back is _____. A) self-assured B) self-controlled 33 B) advances D) precedes C) self-importantD) self-conscious460.The general manager told his secretary that he had suffered from heart disease, but he would not admit it ______. A)in public C) in secret B)in private D)in detail461.People who live in small towns often seem more friendly than those living in ______ populated areas. A) intensely C) highly B) densely D) abundantly462. When he asked you a question, he expected a _____ answer. A) prompt C) rapid B) fast D) punctual463. A university is an educational institution which awards degrees and _____ research. A) carries about C) carries off B) carries out D) carries through464. In that country, guests tend to feel they are not highly _____ if the invitation to a dinner party is extended only three or four days before the party date. A) admired C) expected B) regarded D) worshipped465. A man has to make _____ for his old age by putting aside enough money to live on when old. A) supply C) provision B) assurance D) adjustment466. It is well-known that the retired workers in our country are _____ free medical care. A) entitled to C) associated B) involved in D) assigned to467. The farmers were more anxious for rain than the people in the city because they had more at _____. A )danger C) loss B) stake D) threat468. I felt _____ to death because I could make nothing of the chairman ‘s speech. A) fatigued C) exhausted B) tired D)

我要回帖

更多关于 高中英语选择题 的文章

随机推荐