youmaywanttogive you a head upforthehills

Update, April 2017: The access point from Beachwood Drive known as the Hollyridge Trail has been closed. I have updated this post but also written a brand-new guide , for Curbed LA.
Living in Hollywood, like I did for almost seven years, it was the one question I got asked more than anything else: “What’s the best way to see the Hollywood sign?” Being the generous LA resident that I am, the kind of person who knows exactly how vital money from both Omahaians and Okinawaians is to our economy, I always took the time to patiently explain to the inquirer where they could find the most low-impact, high-impression view. From the fourth-floor viewing platform of the . I’m serious.
View from Hollywood and Highland via
95% of people are satisfied with that view, as well as its proximity to Forever 21. But another 5% think they can get EVEN CLOSER. Yet like the people who live in the neighborhood it names, the Hollywood sign is elusive, and slippery.
Just when you think you know where it is, it vanishes behind another stucco turret. In fact, the people who live in Beachwood Canyon—the tangle of narrow streets just below the sign—even designed their homes with extra turrets, just to confuse tourists. But with the advent of the GPS,
to confidently navigate those nasty twists and turns deep in this residential area. And the neighbors, who believed their stucco turrets would forever trump satellite technology, .
Tourists Go Away photo via
A piece of land art that spells out the puzzling words “” has been created by some frustrated Beachwood sculptor near one of the places where tourists like to go. This work is so abstract in nature I’m not sure exactly what it’s trying to say, but I think it’s a bad strategy on behalf of the artist, anyway: I mean, don’t you think tourists will come up here just to see the Hollywood equivalent of the Spiral Jetty?
As , the new installation shares real estate with my other favorite Hollywood sign. In case you can’t read Beachwood Pidgin, that sign says: “No trespassing private property violaters will be persecuted.” That’s right. I had no idea that the violaters in our midst had such ideological or religious differences from the rest of us that they needed to be persecuted. But with this type of grasp on seventh-grade English, I doubt the signmaker did either.
But I’m not going to send you to the land of “GO AWAY TOURISTS,” whatever that means, because, in all honesty, that’s not the best place to see the sign if you want to get EVEN CLOSER. The best place is near , located at . I made a
to help you find it. To prove how great this location is, I’m going to show you a photo taken of me and Keith here.
Look how close we are to the sign! See how famous we look! We even appear younger and thinner! This photo was taken exactly where that camera icon is on my map. You do not have to drive through Beachwood Canyon to get there. You can get there from the 101. It is absolutely the best option if you’re driving. You can relax in a secret dog park and check out
and . Then, if you must, you can keep walking towards the sign for as long as you want, unencumbered by your car and fear of potential persecution. You violater.
But I’m not going to lie to you. Since we’re talking about the best way to see the Hollywood sign, I have to say that the very best way to see the Hollywood sign is like this. Hopefully as part of an awesome
where there’s plenty of parking. Update, 2017: The , but you can still
to Beachwood Village (while you’re there, hike the ) and walk to the . Or you can start at the Canyon Lake address provided above and walk up, around, and behind the sign. . Tourists are, of course, welcome.
It’s true, it has gotten harder and harder to see the Hollywood Sign over the years. Read more about access issues in my article at Gizmodo: . Neighbors have conspired to have . But rest assured, you can still get there from here.
I put all of these tips, plus a car-less way to get to Griffith Observatory, another great viewing and hiking-to-the-sign spot, on the
I made. If you want more detailed maps of the park itself, check out , and view my brand-new guide, , for Curbed LA.
This entry was posted in , , ,
and tagged , , , . Bookmark the .
Hey there! My name is Alissa. I’m a writer, a gelato-eater, and a walker in LA.
You can learn more about , , , and even see . In 2010 I was honored to be named as an . You also might like
I gave about how to do the work you love, or
that featured me and other LA pedestrians.
How to get in touch
Click on some recent posts
Read my articles elsewhere
I regularly write about design, architecture, cities, transportation and walking for several publications. You can read my latest and greatest stories below, or clicking on the publication will take you to all my articles for that publication. You can also read my favorite stories from , ,
: What else can our neighborhoods be?
: A Thai wunderkind serves up a second course.
: How a pair of intrepid Angelenos restored Rudolph Schindler’s iconic Bubeshko Apartments.: Why does this song from 1982 keep getting stuck in people's heads?: An exhibition about micro-apartments shows us the LA of the future.: Why tech startups—and the people who run them—are crazy for the Wisconsin capital.
: Is our discussion of postwar Los Angeles architecture too focused on cars?
: A new Portland conference launches and breaks all the records—and the rules.
: Talking student debt with CalArts graduates
: Why don't more eco-savvy stars ride public transit?
: A richer (and skinnier) writer on the perks of walking in LA
: Four design books for poolside reading that are light but not fluffy.
View my photos
Follow me on .
Friend me on .
Follow me on .
Add me on Snapchat: Alissa Walker
Visit me on .
Check out our next de LaB
is a monthly design event I co-host with Haily Zaki, Marissa Gluck and Erin Cullerton. Almost always east of La Brea. Learn more about
for our monthly newsletter.
Get to know my Los Angeles
If you're coming to town (or even if you live here), check out my , 27 of my favorite places in the city. You also may like my guide for
when they come to visit. I also love and highly recommend walking, biking and riding LA's , here's .
Walk this way
is a new pedestrian advocacy organization that's focused on making walking safe, accessible and fun for all Angelenos.
and join us at an upcoming event to share your ideas or take a walk with us.
Climb some stairs
Join me and some of LA's most interesting people for , an annual 40-mile walk through Los Angeles over the city's many public stairways. Read about , or come along for a
(sometimes ), which take place throughout the year.
Listen to DnA: Design and Architecture
Tune in to , the KCRW show hosted by Frances Anderton on the third Tuesday of every month, where I'm an associate producer. For local design events, check out the .
Bring GOOD Ideas for Cities to your city or school
An initiative funded in part by ArtPlace,
asks creatives to create solutions to urban problems proposed by city leaders, and present the results at lively public forums.
I co-founded with GOOD's Casey Caplowe and how you can get involved.
Enjoy some greatest hits
Read my work in these books (click to read or buy)
Activities I enjoy14 Fashion Tips to Make You Look Taller | StyleCaster
Behold: 14 Fashion Tips to Make You Look&Taller
What's hot
Behold: 14 Fashion Tips to Make You Look&Taller
77529 Shares
Christian Vierig/Getty Images
Scroll To See More Images
Let’s be real: Being short can suck. Height (or lack thereof) can feel like a serious style impediment—and, to be totally honest, it can be a bit of a fashion hurdle. But what if we told you you don’t have to wait for science to come up with some way for us short folks to add a few extra inches to our height? What if we told you there are
to make you look taller?
It’s true!
From flared jeans to top knots, we’ve outlined how to fake it using the clothes you already have in your closet.
Try Flared Jeans
Photo: LightFieldStudios/Getty Images
with a distinct flare at the bottom create the illusion of a longer leg—especially when the hem hits the top of your shoes (heels, of course!). The trick here is to keep the fit of the jean super-slim through the leg, and to make sure the waistband hits your natural waist—not any lower. For optimal height, be sure to pair your flares with a waist-length top, or a blouse you can tuck in.
Don’t Discount Maxi Skirts
Photo: Edward Berthelot/Getty Images
It’s common fashion folklore that small women simply cannot wear , but luckily that’s been proven entirely false. In fact, a well-cut maxi skirt can actually give you the appearance of looking taller, as evidenced by .
Choose solid versions that skim the length of your body, which will create a long vertical line (forego anything with thick pleats or too many layers). Be sure to keep your top fitted—a tucked-in T-shirt and a cropped leather jacket, for example—so as to not drown in fabric. Also, make sure the skirt’s hemline is as long as you can go without tripping, and add a pair of wedges or heels underneath.
Choose Heels with a Low-Cut Vamp
Photo: Christian Vierig/Getty Images
Here’s small trick that can change the way you shoe shop: Shoes that have a low-cut vamp instantly elongate your legs (and make them look slimmer) when you’re wearing skirts, shorts, and dresses.
What’s a vamp? It’s the portion of a show that cuts across your foot at the front. So, a low vamp cuts across the base of the toes, while high vamp can come up the foot and possibly up to the ankle. If you’re able to find a pair that matches your skintone, that’s even better to give the illusion of mile-long legs.
If You’re Going Short, Go Short!
Photo: Kirstin Sinclair/Getty Images
When you’re petite, it’s just a fact that—when it comes to skirts and dresses—you should either go super-long, or super-short (translation: avoid calf-length and knee-lengths). Mini-skirts show more skin, which creates the illusion of a longer leg.
While ankle straps typically aren’t ideal for short ladies (they cut off your leg), they can work with super-short skirts since more skin is being shown. Of course, if you’re wearing a mini, make sure it’s not offensively short—let’s keep it chic, ladies.
Rock a Top Knot
Photo: Mauricio Santana/Getty Images
Obvious, yes, but piling your hair on top of your head really does gives a taller impression, again creating a more vertical line. Same goes for hair that’s simply voluminous—it adds inches! Time to put away that flatiron, friends.
Wear All One Color
Using color to enhance the illusion of height is a highly effective strategy, as it helps create a vertical line. While wearing head-to-toe black is the simplest—and eternally chicest—option, saturated hues work well, too. The trick to : Keep each silhouette crisp and tailored.
Say ‘Yes’ to High-Waist Bottoms
Photo: Mauricio Santana/Getty Images
High-waist bottoms get a bad rap, but when worn correctly, they can trick the eye into thinking you’re taller by elongating your lower body. Whether you choose skirts, shorts or skinny jeans, be sure to make the elevated waist visible by tucking in a tailored blouse, or opting for a slightly cropped top.
Wear Pointy Flats
Nobody can be expected to wear sky-high heels every day, so petite gals should invest in a pair of pointy flats. Why? Because it’s a known fact that shoes with pointed toes lengthen your leg line.
Rock out with Vertical Stripes
It’s the oldest trick in the book for a reason: Vertical stripes create long lines, thus making you look, well, longer. Bonus: Stripes are one of spring’s biggest trends, so you’ll have absolutely no problem locating some cute striped options.
Ditch the Gigantic Shoulder Bag
Keeping your accessories appropriately scaled to your body size is a smart move for petite girls, starting with that oversized bag. Here’s why: Every time you cause the eye to take in width, you reduce the amount of height it takes in. That means smaller cross-body bags, clutches, and small top-handle totes are your best bet.
Chop Your Hair
Photo: ImaxTree
Long hair drags petite girls down, while shorter hair does the opposite. For the wary: A wavy lob (long bob) is the best option—it shows off your shoulders and your neckline, which makes you look taller (plus, !).
Daring gals should go even shorter: a super-sleek chin-length bob or an elegant gamine-esque pixie.
Stick with Skinny Belts
When it comes to belts, short girls should always opt for a skinny version. It’ll define your natural waist in the most flattering way possible, but won’t cut you in half the way a super-thick belt can, which causes you to look shorter.
Be Mindful of Proportion
When you’re petite, it’s imperative to be sure all your clothes fit properly (a good tailor is key!). Wearing cropped skinny jeans? Make sure they’re not too cropped and that the hem hits the ankle area—small gals should avoid anything resembling capri pants, as they cut your leg awkwardly. With blazers and jackets, always make sure the seams sit perfectly at the bony tops of your shoulders and that the sleeves hit exactly at your wrist.
Wear V-Necks
Tops with plunging “V” necklines give the illusion of a longer, leaner torso, so keep that in mind when you’re shopping for new tops this season.
A version of this article was originally published in April 2013.
WANT MORE?
Get STYLECASTER in your inbox
STYLECASTER Daily
STYLECASTER Beauty

我要回帖

更多关于 z.maywant.com 的文章

随机推荐