美国人考科目二心目中的美国大学排名是怎样的

美国人心目中的美国大学排名是怎样的? - 知乎3565被浏览1011909分享邀请回答zhi.hu/TuBi. Thank you
for an awesome translation! )The most popular US college rankings are published annually by US News, [1]Harvard UniversityPrinceton UniversityYale UniversityColumbia UniversityUniversity of ChicagoMassachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)Stanford UniversityDuke UniversityUniversity of PennsylvaniaCalifornia Institute of Technology (Caltech)US News also publishes an international college ranking, which uses a different ranking metric, and it includes the famous Chinese universities,Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)University of CambridgeHarvard University...
44. Peking University (北京大学)...
48. Tsinghua University (清华大学)...
90. Fudan University (复旦大学)As expected, the famous schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) are at the top. In fact, when somebody admits for the first time that she or he graduated from Harvard, we call it "Dropping the 'H'-bomb". But I bet there's a lot of schools in the top 50 that Chinese people have never heard of. These schools are household names in America. For example, take Emory University (Rank 20). When two of my friends from China were admitted to Emory, I was ecstatic for them! Who in America hasn't heard of Emory? But then they told me that they were really concerned: they said nobody they asked in China had ever heard of Emory. They weren't sure whether it was a good school or not.But what Americans think about these schools is a little more complicated. A useful way to look at American expectations is to look at their pocketbooks. Take a look at this study by Sallie Mae (Sallie Mae lends for student loans) on how American families pay for college
[2]As you can see, a large portion of the tuition costs is shouldered by the student. This stems from the cultural and legal tradition that Americans are adults at 18 and therefore independent by the time many start college. But it is also an economic reality, since American parents tend to have a mortgage on their house, more than one child to put through college and maybe even student loans of their own.I'm actually surprised by how low the numbers are in the study because almost all of my friends either worked part time or took loans or did both to help pay for school. For example, I worked part-time as a Resident Assistant in the dorms and that covered my room and board (food). Most of my friends also worked at paid summer internships instead of taking extra classes. When I was applying for college, I remember visiting one of my teachers from middle school and she gave me the best college advice I remember, "Don't take out a loan for undergrad unless you absolutely have to," she said. When it was time to choose from the colleges that accepted me, I followed this advice. I could have gone to a private college famous for its engineering program if my family took out loans each year. But I decided to go to my state's public school, which also gave me a scholarship. Now that I've graduated, I've witnessed the fruition of my teacher's advice. I make as much or more than my friends who went to famous schools, not because I'm more talented, but because I work in a high-paying industry. And I'm also not burdened by the need to repay over a hundred thousand dollars.With these financial restrictions in mind, American families try to look for the best value colleges. Thus a different ranking published by US News can be more useful, [3]University of California, BerkeleyUniversity of California, Los AngelesUniversity of VirginiaUniversity of Michigan, Ann ArborUniversity of North Carolina, Chapel HillCollege of William and MaryGeorgia Institute of TechnologyUniversity of California, DavisUniversity of California, San DiegoUniversity of California, Santa BarbaraIf a family lives in the state of a public school, the student can attend the school at in-state tuition rates. In-state tuition is generally half the price of out-of-state or private school tuition. For example, at University of California, Berkeley, the in-state tuition is $14,985 per year, while the out-of-state tuition is $37,863 at Harvard, the tuition is $38,480 per year.[4] This cost is only for tuition and doesn't include living expenses, books and travel. This makes a huge difference when families' decide on which school a student will attend.But I also remember that when I was applying to college, my high school friends and I didn't rely very much on any of the rankings. We came to that conclusion after we discussed how the rankings were calculated. Up until a couple years ago, the US News college ranking would not only publish the result of the ranking, but also publish most of the data that it used to create those rankings (I can't find this data online anymore, unfortunately). We noticed that some of the colleges that were highly recommended by our college friends were very low on the rankings or didn't appear at all. This made us curious, so we graphed the data. Most of the data seemed to have a slight correlation with the rankings, but there were always outliers. One dataset fit the rankings almost exactly - Spending per Student. For example, Harvard (Rank 1) spends approximately $80,000 on each student over the course of her or his college career, while University of California, San Diego (Rank 38) spends approximately $20,000.[5]
Other journalists had also noticed that the colleges were consistently ranked by Spending per S online commentators questioned whether the rankings would actually help students or would give them a lopsided perspective on which colleges were most suitable.In addition to the questions about the ranking methodology, there is also debate about the ranking's usefulness. Washington Post Education Columnist, Jay Mathews, elaborates on studies that found no correlation between the prestigiousness of a school (including factors such as its rank) and a graduate's annual salary 15 years later. The data shows that students with similar GPA's in high school made simi looking at the data, you couldn't tell who went to an Ivy League and who went to a state school. Mathews contends that there are plenty of people who are smart enough and accomplished enough to go to a famous school, and choosing not to go, for whatever reason, has not been a disadvantage to them.[6] This complex set of considerations, plus the plethora of choices awaiting high school seniors, could be a reason why the college visit and the first impression that a student receives from the campus is more persuasive than any newspaper ranking.- - - - -As always, if you have the courage and patience to translate this into Chinese, then go for it! =P[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] - - - - -相关答案79578 条评论分享收藏感谢收起60057 条评论分享收藏感谢收起查看更多回答7 个回答被折叠()【2017USNews世界大学排名】美国人眼里的世界大学,前20只有3所不是
美东时间10月24日上午,最新的2017USNews世界大学排名火热出炉了!今年也是USNews第三次对世界大学进行排名,如果说USNews历年对美国大学的排名榜被奉为选校宝典的话,这世界大学的排名大家也就看看乐呵乐呵好了。这真的不是在黑他们,不信你们自己看……
但是,在看榜单之前,我们还是要先例行看一下他们的官方评选标准。
今年的世界大学排名共对65个国家的1000所高等学府进行了排名,主要评价标准是依据是各个学校的学术研究和声誉,具体指标及比重如下:
全球研究声誉 12.5%
地区性研究声誉 12.5%
发表论文10%
出版书籍2.5%
学术会议2.5%
标准化引用影响10%
总被引用次数7.5%
高频被引文献数量(在引用最多文献的前10%) 12.5%
高频被引文献百分比(在引用最多文献的前10%)10%
国际合作10%
高频被引文献数量(在各自领域被引次数最多的前1%)5%
高频被引文献百分比(在各自领域被引次数最多的前1%)5%
所以说白了,就是看大家的科研水平和发文章数量和质量。所以文理学院或典型的文科类院校在这榜单上没有什么优势,像布朗大学又被甩到85了,心疼……
下面,我们接着奉上前100的榜单:
看完了前100大家什么感受?讲真,主页菌刚看到前20的时候还以为自己网页开错了,密密麻麻都是美国自己的大学是什么鬼啊,前20只有3所学校(牛津、剑桥和帝国理工)是别国的啊,前50美国的大学也是占了2/3!要不要这么赤裸裸啊!你说没有黑幕大家都不敢信呐!
不过,话说这世界大学的排名也出了好几份了,每份排名出来好像都有人在喊黑幕!跟之前出过的《泰晤士高等教育世界大学排名》、《QS世界大学排名》、《上海软科世界大学排名》排名结果相比的话,还真真儿印证了一句话“英国人出的榜单第一都是英国大学,美国人出的榜单第一都是美国大学,中国人出的榜单第一都是别人家的大学”。
四大世界大学排名top100对比:
所以说,各式榜单千千万,大家看看就好,排名不是最重要的。
已投稿到:
以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。美国人心目中的美国大学排名是怎样一番印象?【北美吧】_百度贴吧
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&签到排名:今日本吧第个签到,本吧因你更精彩,明天继续来努力!
本吧签到人数:0成为超级会员,使用一键签到本月漏签0次!成为超级会员,赠送8张补签卡连续签到:天&&累计签到:天超级会员单次开通12个月以上,赠送连续签到卡3张
关注:4,224贴子:
美国人心目中的美国大学排名是怎样一番印象?收藏
大多数美国人不太在意是否去好学校,而是更倾向选择自己州的州立大学系统下辖最好的学校(学费便宜、朋友多、规模大活动丰富),如果无法被录取,就选择离家最近的学校(学费便宜、离家近)。例如,一个加州的普通家庭的同学,第一选择一般是 UCLA 或 California(如果家在加州南部就会选 UCLA,因为它在位于南部的洛杉矶,如果在加州北部就会选择位于伯克利的 California。如果无法被洛杉矶或伯克利分校录取,则会在加州系统以及加州州立系统中选择离家最近的分校,例如如果他家住莫赛德就会选 UC Merced,如果家住戴维斯就会选 UC Davis,如果家在巴克斯菲尔德就会选 CSU Barksfield,如果家在长滩就会选 Long Beach State 等等。如果实在是这些学校都进不去,他还可以选择区域性的社区大学)。下面从仅学术上分享我所了解的老美对他们那几千个大学的第一印象,可能有所偏差,仅供参考。顶级Harvard、Yale 和 Stanford单说学术,在美国人心中美国最好的学校有三所:Harvard、Yale 和 Stanford。即「顶级」。这三个学校是任何别的学校都无法比的(这跟国内所宣传的六大名校或十大名校之类的并不相同,美国没有六大名校或十大名校的说法。同样美国也没有三大理工学院、公立大学三强之类的说法,那些都是国内的媒体或中介制造出来的东西)。哈佛和耶鲁是东海岸老牌名校的代表,而斯坦福则是西海岸最好的学校。MIT级MIT、California、Columbia等在这三所学校之下,就是「MIT 级」,包括:MIT、Chicago、California、UCLA、Princeton、Columbia、Penn、Johns Hopkins、Duke 和 Michigan 这几所学校。这几个学校各有所长,综合看来是差不多一个级别的。之所以比不上哈佛、耶鲁和斯坦福,要么是因为有明显的短板,要么是因为底蕴不够,要么是因为资金或生源水平相对较低。〓 麻省理工 MIT 的理工类和商科是强项,但是文史类是硬伤。〓 芝加哥大学文史类和商科很牛,但是理工科又差了些。〓 UCLA 加大洛城、California 加大伯克利和 Michigan 密歇根大学(一般单指安娜堡分校,也可以指整个系统)作为公立大学已经做到了极致,但是正是由于它们是公立大学,它们的招生范围受到了州法的很大的限制,资金也比不过那些私立校。〓 Princeton 作为出过爱因斯坦的常青藤名校位列于此,但是它的地缘位置是短板。虽然它离纽约和华盛顿都很近,但毕竟位于新泽西中部,虽同时属于各大城市的边缘区,却也无法真正直接享受到任何城市的经济文化资源,因此不能与位于波士顿的哈佛、纽黑文(虽不大但是文化名城,且离纽约波士顿也都不远)的耶鲁以及旧金山附近硅谷的斯坦福相提并论。〓 哥伦比亚大学 Columbia 占尽地缘优势,文理工商法也都还算均衡发展。〓 宾大 Penn 拥有著名的沃顿商学院,一些其他的文科专业也很出色,但理工方面也是很致命的伤。〓 杜克大学Duke在南方是一流的,其绝对实力并不亚于哈佛,但可惜它真的位于南方,只能当作南方哈佛(美国人印象中南方不如北方,所以南方再好的学校在他们的第一印象里也要降一级)。康奈尔级Brown、Cornell、Dartmouth等然后是下一个等级「康奈尔级」,包括:Northwestern、WUSTL、Emory、Vanderbilt、Wisconsin、Virginia、UNC、W&M 以及剩余常青藤院校。先说常青藤剩下的 Brown 布朗大学、Cornell 康奈尔大学、Dartmouth 达特茅斯学院三所,毕竟是常青藤,自己的实力也确实不错,也各有特色,但它们的绝对实力已经受到了一些其他大学的挑战,因此只能在这一档次拥有一席之位。然后说其他那几个私立大学:西北大学 Northwestern、圣路易斯华盛顿大学 WUSTL、埃默里大学 Emory 和范德比尔特大学 Vanderbilt,它们也是各有强项,但是强项的数量比不过上一级别的(MIT 级)。Northwestern 强于传媒和社会学,WUSTL 强于数学,Emory 强于医学,Vanderbilt 强于教育学。而它们的短板也比 MIT 级的更多或更大。再说这几个公立校:▲ UNC 北卡大学教堂山分校,文科理科都不错,基本可以位列顶级公立校,但是硬伤是工科专业很少很弱,而对于公立校这是比较致命的缺陷。▲ Virginia 弗吉尼亚大学,有些专业实力确实也不错,更重要的是美国人对它有感情,因为它是国父杰斐逊亲手创办的。▲ Wisconsin 威斯康星大学(一般单指麦迪逊分校,也可以指整个系统),这个学校是个老牌的公立名校,被 US News 的排名给坑了。▲ W&M 威廉玛丽学院,南方第一校,是除了哈佛以外北美洲历史最久的大学,曾是私立的后改为公立。从历史底蕴来说完爆所有公立大学。工科同样是短板。当然,也有人把「MIT 级」和「康奈尔级」合为一起,再加上最前面的三个学校,统称为 Ivy Plus。这也很有道理的,因为这些学校组成了美国学术界的第一阵容。有三个公立大学按老美的印象不好归类,大概介于这一级和下一级之间:Texas 德克萨斯大学奥斯汀分校、Washington 华盛顿大学(西雅图那个)、Pittsburgh 匹兹堡大学。州立旗舰级US News上排名Top 30 -100 的公立大学再往下是很大的一堆「州立旗舰(flagship)级」,包括各种数得上名的非南方公立大学名校(有 4 个南方的例外),即大多数 US News 上排在 30 到 100 之间的公立大学。例如 Ohio State Univ 俄亥俄州立大学、Penn State Univ 宾夕法尼亚州立大学、Illinois 伊利诺伊大学厄巴纳香槟分校、Michigan State Univ 密歇根州立大学、Rutgers 罗格斯大学、Purdue 普渡大学、Iowa 爱荷华大学、SUNY-Buffalo+SBU+Binghamton 纽约州立布法罗/石溪/宾厄姆顿大学、Nebraska 内布拉斯加大学林肯分校、UC Santa Barbara/Davis/San Diego 加州大学圣塔芭芭拉/戴维斯/圣迭戈分校、UMass 麻省大学阿默斯特校区……(太多了不一一列举了)Georgia Tech 佐治亚理工(南方例外)、Florida 佛罗里达大学(南方例外)、Clemson 克莱姆森大学(南方例外)、TAMU 德州农机大学(南方例外)。这些学校的特点是各有所长,但是生源和资金都是短板,比来比去也差不多。US News 最坑的就是这一块,非要排个谁前谁后。40 名左右的 UC Santa Barbara 比排 100 左右的 Nebraska 好在哪里(除了校园风景以外)?术业有专攻,谁都没有绝对优势。这一级别还没完,除了这些旗舰校,还有像 BU 波士顿大学、Tulane 杜兰大学这样的前面没出现过但是在美国大学协会里的公认一流的私立大学。南方和落基山的公立大学级Alabama、Auburn、Denver等再往下是「南方和落基山的公立大学级」,这其实真的和实力没太大关系,但是如果问的是第一印象,抱歉,它们得降一级。代表性的包括 Alabama 阿拉巴马大学、Auburn 奥本大学、Colorado 科罗拉多大学波尔德分校、Utah 犹他大学、Denver 丹佛大学、Arizona 亚利桑那大学、Arizona State Univ 亚利桑那州立大学、Kentucky 肯塔基大学、Tennessee 田纳西大学、Ole Miss 密西西比大学、Mizzou 密苏里大学、Arkansas 阿肯色大学、Georgia 佐治亚大学、LSU 路易斯安那州立大学、Baylor 贝勒大学……(同样太多不列举了)区域级每个州的除旗舰州立大学外的第二档次的公立大学再往下就是「区域级」了,从名字就能听出来。这些学校包括每个州的除旗舰州立大学外的第二档次的公立大学,也包括旗舰大学的其他分校。它们的实力介于好的公立大学和社区学院之间。这种学校是数量最多的。例如 S Illinois 南伊利诺伊大学、Slippery Rock Univ of Pennsylvania 滑石宾夕法尼亚大学、Lock Haven Univ of Pennsylvania 洛克黑文宾夕法尼亚大学、EMU 东密歇根大学、Indiana State Univ 印第安纳州立大学、Chico State Univ 奇科州立大学、UNC Charlotte 北卡大学夏洛特分校、Texas El Paso 德克萨斯大学厄尔帕索分校、Channel Islands State Univ 海峡群岛州立大学……(不列举了)社区学院级这里就不举例了美国的社区大学主要招收学习成绩平平的学生,提供两年制的初级高等教育,程度相当于中国的大专。大多数社区学院提供三种类型的课程:语言培训ESL课程、学士转学课程、生计教育(即职业技术教育)及社区服务。要注意所选择的社区大学跟哪些大学有挂钩协议,社区大学的学分是不能转入所有大学的。另外提醒,确定将要选择的社区大学是否通过了中国教育部认证。难免有一些无资质的留学中介会宣传一些尚未被认证的“野鸡大学”。
登录百度帐号推荐应用

我要回帖

更多关于 心理学美国大学排名 的文章

随机推荐