when hecarl lost his jobb,he felt he _ _ _

Jeremy Clarkson on the year he lost his Top Gear job, his home and his mum | Daily Mail Online
Clarkson on the year he lost his job, his home and his mum: Ex-Top Gear host gives an extraordinary interview revealing the pain of going from hero to zero
02:58 GMT, 21 March 2016
08:22 GMT, 21 March 2016
Spiral: After a successful career and personal life, three years ago Jeremy Clarkson's
'luck stopped' For years, Jeremy Clarkson has seemed like the world’s luckiest man. He’s skipped though life: happy childhood, good school, beautiful blondes and a fabulously successful career in journalism and TV.And he has always seemingly confident — laughing, behaving badly, drinking, smoking and crashing cars.He has been rude, funny and politically incorrect about anything and everyone, the ultimate middle-aged lad, with more than six million Twitter followers who hang on his every provocative word.Along with co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond, he turned the BBC’s Top Gear into a global phenomenon and made more than ?30 million.However badly he behaved, however many feathers he ruffled, everything always seemed to work out fine.Until three years ago when, as he puts it himself in a riveting interview in The Times Magazine published this weekend: ‘My luck stopped suddenly.’Since then, he has been sacked by the BBC, split from his girlfriend Phillipa Sage, lost his home and in 2014 his mother died after a five-year battle with breast cancer.The cumulative events triggered a very un-Clarksonesque response. He took himself off ‘somewhere like a prison’ for a month to clear his head and calm down a bit.He insists it wasn’t rehab, but it sounds very like it — he stopped drinking, practised early morning yoga, went to bed at 10pm and stayed off the booze for a few months.But it turns out that a lot of the Clarkson we know and love (or loathe) isn’t quite as it seems.
RELATED ARTICLES
Share this article
He says everything is just an act and the Jeremy Clarkson persona so beloved of TV viewers is not the real him.Jeremy, it seems, is actually a far more sensitive flower, who cries at the memory of his mother and loves ornithology, and has been carefully camouflaged by his very acerbic wit ever since he was 14 years old and bullied at boarding school.He was beaten every night with empty Globe-Trotter suitcases. ‘There’s more give in a Globe-Trotter suitcase than there is in a skull . . . Head, back, shoulders, buttocks. Maybe you’d get the odd bruise from the corner . . . In the morning, we were hurled into the plunge pool, which was freezing.’
Loss: Clarkson was well known for his bad behaviour but after being sacked by the BBC and the death of his mother, he decided to take himself to a retreat where he practised yoga and tried to live a healthier lifestyleIt caused an epiphany. He realised that, to stop the bullying, he had to make his tormentors laugh. After all, they couldn’t be angry with him if they were in fits of giggles.It was a good plan. And it worked for years — diffusing tricky situations, easing him through the endless scrapes he’s found himself in ever since the early drinking, smoking and bunking off days of school, through his early days as a journalist on the Rotherham Advertiser and as a young motoring correspondent in London.In his a newspaper columns and on Top Gear he’s rarely held back — entertaining and offending in equal measure — recklessly upsetting villages, homosexuals, women, car manufacturers, Norfolk and even entire nations on the way.
On Top Gear, Clarkson, pictured with his co-presenters Richard Hammond (left) and James May (right), rarely held back — entertaining and offending in equal measure
Like the time he drove a Toyota Hilux into a 30-year-old horse chestnut tree to test the vehicle’s strength and the BBC had to apologise unreservedly to a Somerset parish council and pay a ?250 fine.His viewers guffawed. And they lapped it up when he explained the Porsche 911 range with the help of three models (one with naturally large breasts, one with implants and one with smaller breasts — the first being the turbo, the second being the Carrera 4S and the last one being the Carrera 4).But then the complaints started to mount from, among others, the Argentinians after he made an incendiary programme that seemed to drop heavy hints about the Falklands War and he had to flee the country. Campaigners also deemed his use of the word ‘slope’, when filming in Burma, was racist.And, most damagingly, he clashed endlessly with Danny Cohen, the politically correct BBC’s director of television at the time.‘Danny and I were, and I suspect will remain for ever, very far apart on every single thing,’ he says now.
Fight: Clarkson clashed endlessly with Danny Cohen (right),
BBC’s director of television,
during his time on the hugely successful Top Gear‘Normally, you could find some common ground with someone, but I think Danny and I could probably only get on perfectly well so long as we absolutely never had to think about each other.’ He seemed to enjoy winding up Cohen, claiming he was berated by the BBC executive and summoned to his office two years ago after he had tweeted a picture of his black West Highland terrier — and revealed he had named it Didier Dogba — after the former Chelsea star, Drogba.‘I confirmed it was true. He [Cohen] said: “What colour is it?” And I said: “It’s black.” And he said: “You can’t call your black dog after a black football player.” So I said: “Why not?” Would you rather I called it John Terrier? [A play on former England captain John Terry].’Cohen was not amused. Perhaps Clarkson had just got too big for his boots. In the interview with Charlotte Edwardes in The Times, he warns of the dangers of catching what he calls ‘c*** flu’ — the spoilt diva illness that plagues those with fame and fortune, with flunkies hanging on their every word.It’s a syndrome in which people who have everything want an even bigger boat or helicopter.He’s suffered from bouts of it himself. In rural New Zealand when he fancied playing the board game Risk, he sent a minion all the way to Auckland to buy a set.Last year, of course, was steak-gate.
Clarkson famously punched Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon, pictured, during a row over a steak dinner and the incident proved to be the final straw for his BBC careerWhen producer Oisin Tymon didn’t have a nice hot steak supper waiting for Clarkson in a North Yorkshire hotel after a long day filming, he called him a ‘lazy Irish c***’, punched him in the face and cut his lip. (He has recently apologised and settled for an undisclosed fee rumoured to be over ?100,000.)It was the final straw.After 27 years with the BBC, Clarkson was sacked from Top Gear. More than a million people signed a petition for him to be reinstated, but Cohen had had enough.It was a low point. To make things a million times worse, Clarkson’s mother Shirley’s death when he was in Moscow doing a live show coincided with the BBC’s inquiry into his ‘slope’ comment. This meant they kept calling him when he was grieving.He claims he pleaded with them to let him be. ‘But they wouldn’t . . . It went on and on. It was very tricky. So there was quite a lot of pressure that year even for a jovial soul like me to handle. I was very close to my mum.’
Clarkson's grieving over his beloved mother Shirley, pictured,
was often interrupted by
the BBC’s inquiry into his ‘slope’ commentIt was Shirley who earned the money to send him and sister Joanna to boarding school by making Paddington Bear toys (licensed by Paddington author Michael Bond) from their 400-year-old farmhouse in Doncaster. His dad, Edward, was a travelling salesman who sold tea cosies and cooked endlessly.Somehow, Clarkson muddled through last year. The month in ‘non rehab’ sounds like it helped. And though he loathed the yoga, perhaps he picked up something.During The Times interview, he had such a bad hangover he spent much of one day at the bottom of a swimming pool with an oxygen tank because he wanted to get away from everything.When his scuba instructor tried to persuade him to surface, he wouldn’t: ‘It was so peaceful down there. Why would I want to come out?’He is also very much back on the booze (but ‘not as much as James May’) cracking into his first beer at 11.15am. He smokes endless Marlboro Lights and, with his pot belly and florid face, looks a likely candidate for a massive coronary. Though he does have a personal trainer and toys with tennis.He doesn’t believe people are capable of change, and that everyone’s character is set in stone from a very early age.‘Everything else is a mask,’ he says, echoing his earlier theme.For all his bravado, he says he cares what people think and, on Desert Island Discs in 2003, admitted to a guilty conscience about those on the receiving end of his wit.‘In the wee small hours you do think: I wish I were a nicer person. I wish I could be nicer about people and things,’ he said.‘But then in the heat of the moment, a month later, when you’ve perhaps had too much coffee . . .’For such a show-off, he’s candid about his shortcomings. While he’s a natural broadcaster and can chat happily while driving round a hairpin bend at about 600mph, he insists he is rubbish at pretty much everything else remotely practical — putting up pictures, opening bottles, playing tennis, understanding a car engine, cooking or skiing (‘I look like a bus driver having a c**p’.)
Clarkson, pictured filming with Hammond and May, claims that Top Gear is the only thing he’s ever done really well in his lifeHe claims Top Gear is the only thing he’s ever done really well in his life.So it was perhaps inevitable that, after he was fired by the BBC, Clarkson, with May, Hammond and a good chunk of their production team, set up their own company.A year on, his unhappy blip is over, his mask is firmly back on and it is business as usual.Once more, he and the team travel to exotic places, blow up cars, drink heavily, chain smoke, tweet daft photos and upset as many people as they can as they make a new middle-aged laddish car show for Amazon Prime that sounds exactly like Top Gear.
Share or comment on this article
MOST READ NEWS
The comments below have not been moderated.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
More top stories
DON'T MISS
MORE DON'T MISS
EDITOR'S SIX OF THE BEST
SHARE PICTURE
Copy link to paste in your message当前位置:
>>>阅读理解。 Nate suffered a hard blow when he lost his job. ..
阅读理解。
&&&&& Nate suffered a hard blow when he lost his job. His boss had spoken rudely, "Your services are no longerneeded." Nate left the building filled with despair. By the time he reached home, he was in a deep depression. When he entered his house, he blurted out to his wife Sophia, "I lost my job. I am a complete, absolutely failure." A tense silence followed. Then a smile crept across Sophia's face. "What great news!" she responded,"Now you can write the book you have always wanted to write." &&&&& "But I have no job and no prospect of a job," he objected, completely without hope. "If I struggle to be anauthor, then what will we live on? Where will the money come from?" Sophia took her husband by the handand led him to the kitchen. Opening a drawer, she took out a box that was full of cash. "Where on earth did you get this?" Nate gasped."To whom does it belong?"&&&&&&&"It's ours!" Sophia replied. "I always know that one day you would become a great writer only if you were given the chance. From the money you gave me for housekeeping every week, I have saved as much as I could so you would have your chance. Now there is enough to last us a whole year." &&&&& What a surprise! What encouragement! What a wife! The unemployed husband did concentrate on writing that year, and the novel he wrote became a literary masterpiece (杰作). The book is The Scarlet Letter. Sophia had an even greater achievement, and she turned Nathaniel Hawthorne from a poor clerk into a world famousmaster.
1. Which of the following can be inferred from the first paragraph?
A. Sophia was very disappointed to hear the news. B. Nate was too sad to speak any more. C. Sophia was thinking of how to encourage Nate.D. Neither husband nor wife had any idea of what to do.
2. Sophia saved money because _____.
A. she knew her husband would lose his job one dayB. she knew their life would be in difficultyC. she was very careful with money D. she was trying to help her husband in every possible way
3. From the passage we can know that Sophia was _____.
A. kind and brave B. careful and encouraging C. friendly and warm-hearted D. honest and determined
4. What would be the best title for the passage?
A. Sophia's AchievementB. A Great Writer's Struggle to Success C. Great Encouragement in Hard Times D. Failure is the Mother of Success
题型:阅读理解难度:偏难来源:0125
马上分享给同学
据魔方格专家权威分析,试题“阅读理解。 Nate suffered a hard blow when he lost his job. ..”主要考查你对&&人物传记类阅读&&等考点的理解。关于这些考点的“档案”如下:
现在没空?点击收藏,以后再看。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
人物传记类阅读
人物传记类文章的文体特征:
人物传记是记叙文体的一种,主要描写某人的生平事迹、趣闻轶事、生活背景、个性特征、成长奋斗历程等,包含记叙文的时间、地点、人物、事件等要素。其特点是以时间的先后或事件的发展为主线,空间或逻辑线索贯穿文章始终,脉络清楚,可读性较强。 人物传记类文章的阅读策略和解题技巧:
1、把握文体特征,注意写作手法如前文所述,人物传记是记叙文体的一种,因此在阅读时要把握好时间、地点、人物和事件这四大要素。其次,还应该注意人物传记类文章的结构多按时间顺序排列,一般采用倒叙的写作手法,有时也采用插叙和补叙等手段。弄清楚人物传记类文章的特征和写作手法,能帮助考生在阅读和回答问题时做到高效省时、准确无误。 2、抓住题干关键词,采用寻读的方法查找细节描述事实细节题是人物传记类文章的主要题型,一般常见以下几种类型: (1)对号入座题:这种题的答案一般在原文中可以直接找到,只要读懂文章,掌握文章中的事实,如时间、地点、事件等细节问题,就能选对正确答案。 (2)词义转换题:这种题常常是原文有关词语和句子的转换,而不能在原文中直接找到。它要求考生能理解原文中某个短语或句子的含义,从而找到与答案意思相同的词语和句子。 (3)是非题:该题型俗称“三缺一”题型,即题目四个选项中有三个符合文章内容,剩下一个不符合。题干多为:Which of the following isTRUE?或者三个不符合文章内容,剩下一个符合,题干多为:Which of the following…isNOTtrue?或All the following are true EXCEPT(4)排序题:这种题要求考生根据动作发生的先后顺序和句子之间的逻辑关系,找出事件发生的正确顺序。可采用“首尾定位法”,即先找出第一个动作和最后一个动作,迅速缩小选择范围,从而快速选出正确答案。 (5)指代理解题:一般是在人物或事物关系比较复杂的情况下使用的一种题型,所以理清人物及事物之间的逻辑关系是关键所在。可采用“逻辑关系梳理法”,使人物或事件关系清晰条理。不管题型如何,在做事实细节题时,可采用比较实用的方法一有目的的阅读。在阅读时,首先看题目要求我们理解什么细节,找出关键词,然后以此为线索,运用寻读的技巧迅速在文章里找出相应的段落、句子或短语。认真比较选项和文中细节的区别,在正确理解细节的前提下,确定最佳答案。这样一来,既提高了阅读的速度,又能确保答案的准确率。同时,建议阅读文章时把与答案相符的句子或短语用红线标示出来,标号注上是哪一题答案的相关句子,这样在检查时就不必重新阅读整篇文章了。 3、抽丝剥茧,推理判断深层含义推理判断题主要提问那些未曾在文中说明,但已特别暗示的内容,考查考生对文章的准确理解和判断。人物传记类文章常见的推理判断题型为: (1)细节推断题:要求考生根据语篇关系,推断具体细节,如时间、地点、人物关系、人物身份、事件等。一般可根据短文提供的信息,或者借助生活常识进行推理判断。 (2)因果推断题:要求考生根据已知结果推测导致结果的可能原因。考生要准确掌握文章的内涵,理解文章的真正含义。 (3)人物性格、作者态度及观点判断题:人物传记类文章中有些是考查考生对作者的主导思想、被描写人物的语气、言语中流露的情绪、性格倾向和作者或文中人物态度、观点等方面的理解题。推理判断题要求在理解原文表面文字信息的基础上做出一定推论和判断,从而得到文章的隐含意义和深层意义。解答此类题时,要注意: (1)吃透文章的字面意思,从字里行间捕捉有用的提示和线索,这是推理的前提和基础。 (2)对文字的表面信息进俐宅掘加工,由表及里,由浅入深。从具体到抽象,从特殊到一般,通过分析、综合、判断等进行符合逻辑的推理。不能就事论事,断章取义,以偏概全。 (3)基于文章内容,以文章提供的事实和线索为依据,立足已知,推断未知。不能主观臆想,凭空想象,随意揣测,更不能以自己的观点代替作者的观点。 (4)把握句、段之间的逻辑关系,了解语篇的结构。要体会文章的基调,揣摸作者的态度,摸准逻辑发展的方向,悟出作者的弦外之音。 (5)注意文中所用词句的感情色彩,是讽刺性的,批评性的,赞成性的,还是反对性的,以便推测作者的观点和态度。
发现相似题
与“阅读理解。 Nate suffered a hard blow when he lost his job. ..”考查相似的试题有:
332752329395428972407166440070419482下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
1.75亿学生的选择
Nate suffered a devastating blow when he lost his job.His boss had spoken rudely,"Your services are no longer needed." Nate left the building filled with despair.By the time he reached home,he was in a deep depression.When he entered his house,he blurted out to his wife Sophia,"I lost my job.I am a complete,utter failure." A tense silence followed.Then a smile crept across Sophia’s face."What great news!" she responded."Now you can write the book you have always wanted to write.""But I have no job and no prospect of a job," he objected,completely without hope."If I struggle to be an author,then what will we live on?Where will the money come from?"Sophia took her husband by the hand and led him to the kitchen.Opening a drawer,she took out a box that was full of cash."Where on earth did you get this?" Nate gasped."To whom does it belong?""It’s ours!" Sophia replied."I always knew that one day you would become a great writer if only you were given the chance.From the money you gave me for housekeeping every week,I have saved as much as I could so you would have your chance.Now there is enough to last us a whole year."What a surprise!What encouragement!What a wife!The unemployed husband did concentrate on writing that year,and the novel he wrote became a literary masterpiece.The book is The Scarlet Letter.Sophia had an even greater achievement,and she turned Nathaniel Hawthorne from a poor clerk into a world famous master.46.What would be the best title for the passage?A.Sophia’s Achievement C.Great encouragement in hard times 47.The underlined sentence in the first paragraph suggests ________.A.Sophia was very disappointed to hear the newsB.Nate was too sad to speak any moreC.Sophia was thinking of how to encourage NateD.both husband and wife had no idea what to do48.Sophia saved money because _________.A.she knew her husband would lose his job one dayB.she knew their life would be in difficulty C.she was very careful with moneyD.she was trying to help her husband in every possible way49.From the passage we can know that Sophia was ______.A.kind and brave B.careful and encouragingC.helpful and warm-hearted D.clever and determined答案是acdb能不能说下原因!文字我是看懂的呀 想问的是49道为什么不能选择A,46为什么不能选择c
这篇文章的主题就是sophia鼓励她失业的丈夫振作起来而成为一名作家的~你做题的时候就围绕它这个主题进行合理的选择就可以了.48题中不能选B,因为它没有上下文支持这个观点~
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
文章里都有这些话!
做阅读理解先要看问题,然后带着问题找答案,你会觉得一目了然。
Nate失业了,垂头丧气的回到家,见到了妻子sophia。Nate失去了很多的信心,他的妻子鼓励他:失去了工作,你就可以安心的写书了。可是Nate 却不这么想,没有了工作就没有了生活的经济来源,他不可能安心写小说的。他的妻子把他领进厨房,拉开一个抽屉,拿出一个盒子打开后里面都是现金,Nate觉得太不可思议了,他问妻子这些钱是怎么来的?sophia告诉他说是每周的生活费中省下来的。多么令人...
原文都可以看出来的。还需要理由么
49,文章讲了妻子的贤惠,这一点就是妻子很细心carful---平常节俭,以备不时之需;丈夫面临困难时,不是指责而是鼓励encouraging.答案A善良和勇敢,善良还有点意思,勇敢谈不上。她要是勇敢她就创业了!呵呵。46,文章重点是人,通过一件事情讲述了一位好妻子,所以答案应提到妻子,即妻子的成绩。...
49题的a选项中的“勇敢“没对,文中的妻子没有体现出这点。就算你认为他妻子勇敢地让丈夫不再出去工作而在家从事写作,也没有b选项合适。这篇文章他的妻子明显是主人公,外国人思维与中国人是相反的,中国人含蓄,所以表达不明显。但外国人喜欢直接把意思表明,a选项就很直接明了,c选项是中国人的思维。...
扫描下载二维码

我要回帖

更多关于 carl lost his job 的文章

随机推荐