where the past meets thepast present future

Font Size:
Black History Month: Where the Past Meets the Present
by Robert K. Ross, M.D.
President and CEO
Feb 18, 2014
History is rich with highly accomplished African-American men and women who left their legacies for us to build upon. , , , , ,
and the list goes on and on. A simple Google search will result in an impressive list of African-American men and women whose contributions helped build this nation through their advances in politics, science and education, literature, music and entertainment, and, perhaps most notably,
At The California Endowment, the fight for civil rights and equity continues through our support of a body of work which aims to improve the life and health outcomes for boys and young men of color who are facing particularly tough odds. We have named this work and I am so honored to be a part of it. Not that I&m doing the heavy lifting. I&m leaving much of that up to the young men and boys themselves who know better than me what&s holding them back, what&s standing in their way, and what&s going to help them succeed.
I know that if
were here today he would stand shoulder to shoulder with these young men and boys as I do. Their futures are inextricably tied to all of us, no matter what race or ethnicity you are, and if we let them fail, we will all fail.&
. Very soon, these young men and women will be our leaders. But have we, the previous generation, left them with the necessary skills and tools to confidently and successfully lead us forward into the 21st Century?
Sadly, no. In fact, we&ve done quite the opposite. As a result of the policies and systems that were meant to help keep order and safety - law enforcement, prisons, school discipline - &we created which has disproportionately funneled young men and boys of color into its quagmire of despair and ruin.&
This needs to end now. And it will, largely through the efforts of the young men and boys of color who have collectively formed the Health Happens with all our Sons and Brothers movement. Great strides have been made that have catalyzed action which has resulted in the development of public policies that will help propel our black and brown future leaders on successful trajectories.
Once again, these young men and boys are talking about their futures with excitement and the belief that they will succeed. I know we still have a long way to go, but these young men have the stamina and grit it will take to turn this around. It&s as if the civil rights movement of the 60&s has been reborn in these young men and boys of color who are taking the lead to make sure their future isn&t in a slum or prison cell, but rather as successful leaders in vibrant, healthy communities.
Somewhere along the way we lost sight of the needs of these young men and boys. It was almost as if the civil rights movement slipped away unnoticed. But thankfully our Sons and Brothers reignited it and it is burning brightly once again, just as it should be.&
Health Happens with all our Sons and Brothers.
__USER_NAME__
__MESSAGE__
To post a comment, you should . Pop-ups must be enabled in order for the Facebook login to launch.
To leave a comment on our blog, please read our
Join Our Mailing List
Recent Blogs
Robert K. Ross, M.D.Apr 10, 2015
Robert K. Ross, M.D.Apr 07, 2015
Jeff OkeyApr 06, 2015
Use these tools to share this page with these popular sites
Use this to share this page with your friends by email

我要回帖

更多关于 than meets the eye 的文章

随机推荐