You is not tohavetohave better to do

How to Use Reading to Become a Better Writer | Write to Done
Shares 324
Photo courtesy of
“To learn to rea every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” – Victor Hugo
There are two ways to become a better writer, in general: write a lot, and read a lot.
There are no other steps.
Of course, within those two general directives, there are lots of more specific advice I can give you, and that other professional writers would offer. Let’s take a look at the second general directive: read a lot.
Why Reading Makes You a Better Writer
I’ve been an avid reader since childhood, and I would submit that most good (and especially great) writers could say the same. What we probably didn’t realize was that our trips into the fantasy worlds of these books were actually training us for our future careers. I’m glad I didn’t know — it might have taken a bit of the joy out of it.
Read can be pure joy, if you’re reading a good book. By that, I don’t mean good literature — I mean anything that captures your imagination, that compels you to read more, that tells you a good story, that creates wonderful characters, that builds new worlds.
But beyond reading for pleasure, a good writer also reads with an eye for the writing. Maybe not all the time, but at least some of the time. And many times that writer doesn’t even realize he’s doing it.
What we learn as readers, we use as writers. Maybe we don’t always do the best job at putting that knowledge to use, but that just takes practice. Over time, our writing becomes in some ways a compilation of all the things we’ve learned as readers, blended together in our own unique recipe.
“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend.
Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx
How to Use Reading to Improve Your Writing
There’s no one way, of course. Every writer reads his own stuff, and puts that stuff to use in his own way. Below are just some tips of what’s worked for me — take what you like from it, and use what you find useful.
Create the reading habit. It can’t be a matter of just reading a book and then forgetting about reading after the initial burst of enthusiasm for reading. It has to be a habit, that you create and keep for life. As someone who has learned a lot about creating habits, I know that the best way to form the habit of reading is to focus on it exclusively — don’t try to form any other habits during this time. Write down your goal (i.e. “Read for 30 minutes every day” or something like that) and post it up somewhere you can see it. Tell a lot of people about it and report to them regularly to create accountability. Log your progress daily and give yourself rewards. Do this for a month and you’ll have a decent habit in place.
Have regular reading triggers. A habit has a trigger — a regularly occurring event that immediately precedes the habit. The stronger the association with the trigger, the stronger the habit. What triggers will you have for reading? For me, it’s eating, going to bed, using the bathroom, and waiting somewhere (like in a doctor’s waiting room). Every time those triggers come up, I read, without fail. Choose your triggers, and do it without fail. If you take my triggers as an example, if I read just 10-15 minutes for each trigger, that’s 6 times a day (three times eating and once for each of the others) for a total of 60-90 minutes a day. Sometimes it’s more, but that’s the minimum (I often read for much longer before bed).
Carry your book with you. When you go on the road, always carry your book in the car or wherever you go. You might not need it for 9 trips, but the 10th time, you’ll be glad you brought the book. When you have a lull, whip out the book.
Read great writers. By “great writers” I mean not only the greats (Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Cervantes, Joyce, and Fitzgerald are some of my favorites here) but also the great storytellers. People who can write with wit, create great characters, reach into your soul, create new worlds for you to inhabit. Writers who can teach you something.
Get inspired. When I read great writing, I am filled with inspiration to write. Sometimes I throw down my book and go to my computer to start hacking away at the keyboard. Other times I’ll jot down stuff in my notebook for later. Use these writers to inspire you to greatness.
Analyze character, plot, theme. Break down the books you read. You can either do this as you read, or afterward, when you reflect on them while doing something else (for me it’s running and doing housework and when I’m in the shower). Why did the writer make the choices she made? How did she create the characters and convey their qualities? How did she start the book and lay out the plot? How is the theme of the book conveyed throughout the book.
Pay attention to what they do with words. Beyond the big things mentioned above, the writer does little things with words, in every paragraph and sentence and phrase. A good writer pays close attention to words, the effects they create, how they mix together with other words, twists and turns of meaning. See how he does this, as it is the best instruction you can get.
Rip them off. A writing teacher once told me not to mimmic other writers — but instead to rip them off. Steal blatantly. Take things that you discover in other writers, things that work, things that you love … and use them in your own writing. Don’t worry — you can always revise later or throw it out completely. For now, rip them off. It’ll help you make these techniques your own.
Riff off them, experiment. Once you’ve ripped off a few dozen writers, start to riff. Do variations and experiments on stuff you’ve found. Give their techniques and styles your own twists and flair.
Expand beyond your normal genres. If you normally read one or two genres, break out beyond it. If you only read sci-fi and fantasy, read more mainstream literature, read romance or thrillers, read “chick lit” (a term I hate, but oh well). There’s a lot you can learn from writers beyond your normal scope.
Above all, enjoy your reading. Reading, of course, is about much more than just learning and analyzing and experimenting. It’s about joy. So don’t let your “reading to become a better writer” interfere with that. If a book bores you to tears, go ahead and put it down for something you enjoy more. If you start to lose track of the story because you’re overanalyzing, just forget about analysis and lose yourself in the book. You’ll still be learning, so fear not. If you read for pleasure, you won’t be able to help it.
“I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.” – Woody Allen
Shares 324
Read below or
Great post, I always like to hear more reasons to justify why I spend so much time reading ? (although I’m trying to spend a little more of it on writing now too). I totally agree with #3, except that I manage this by having a “car book”, a “living room book”, a “hand bag book”, so that wherever I end up with a few spare minutes, there’s a book to hand. If it’s so gripping that I can’t not finish it, I then carry it around to wherever I go.
I’ve been thinking about #10 – reading different genres – for a while, so I guess this is the push to make me do it. I think I’ve never read a sci-fi book in my life but I probably should.
to follow us on TWITTER
Popular Posts
RESOURCES FOR WRITERS
Scrivener for Mac (Click below)
Scrivener for Windows (Click below)
CategoriesSleeping a Mac
This is my preferred choice because it provides for the easiest and fastest way to resume work while still maintaining hardware. It’s practically instantaneous to sleep a Mac and when you wake it up all of your open apps, documents, window arrangements, and web pages, are exactly where you left off with practically no delay. For the average Mac user who wants to quickly get back to what they were doing, sleeping is perfect.
Pros: Quickly resume exactl sleep and wake can be
Cons: Min system temp, swap, and cache files don’t get cleared out d system updates requiring reboots don’t install automatically wit performance is best for Macs with 4GB RAM or more
If you use the Mac every day, simply putting it to sleep when it’s not in use or overnight is probably the best choice. Just be sure to remember to reboot every once in a while to allow system software updates to install as part of a , though waiting for an OS X Update or Security Update is generally a sufficient time between reboots. You can also gather some
with this approach which is pretty much a useless statistic other than the nerdy bragging rights, (I’m currently at 35 days, weeeee!) but hey it’s
Shutting the Mac Down
I basically never shut down a Mac unless it’s going into a longer term state of inactivity or storage. Shutting down a Mac is slower since all open applications and documents have to quit, and then when you turn the machine back on everything has to re-open again to get back to where you were prior to shutdown. OS X Lion made resuming past application states much simpler with the automatic window restore feature (which some dislike and choose to ), but I still find it too slow to be usable for my instant-on demands.
Pros: Saves power, doesn’ system temp, memory, swap, and cache files get cle allows for major system updates to install
Cons: Takes a while to boot up and resume previous activity, no geeky uptime bragging rights
For the power conscious or for those trying to squeeze the absolute longest lifespan out of hardware and hard disks, shutting down when not in use is the best choice. This is also what you’ll want to do if you’re going to put a Mac in longterm storage, won’t be using it for a longer than a few days, or if you’re going to be traveling with a Mac that isn’t in use during the travel period.
Keeping a Mac Always Turned On
Leaving a Mac constantly turned on is another viable option, though I think it’s best reserved for Macs that function as servers. This approach also carries the most polar advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, you don’t have to bother resuming anything since it’s already on, you can schedule all maintenance and backup tasks to occur in the wee hours of system inactivity, and it allows for something like a constantly available
or media center to be running on the machine. The downsides are basically the constant power consumption and the constantly active hardware, which can limit overall lifespans of the computer components.
Pros: N instantly resume all apps and tasks exactl allows for servers to run with co backup and system maintenance tasks can be scheduled for off hours
Cons: Consta more wear and tear on hard drives, fans, and physical hardware due to possible heat
If you’re running a server or , leaving a Mac turned on constantly is a no brainer. For the casual Mac user, it’s probably best to put a Mac to sleep when it’s not in use though, it gives hard drives and fans a rest, and will generally lead to a longer lifespan of the computer.
What do you do and why? Let us know your thoughts and habits in the comments.
Enjoy this tip? Subscribe to the OSXDaily newsletter to get more of our great Apple tips, tricks, and important news delivered to your inbox! Enter your email address below:
Related articles:
Posted by: Paul Horowitz in ,
Leave a Reply12 words you need to ban from your vocabulary to be a better ally
We're using cookies to improve your experience.
You're all about thoughtful solidarity. Your favorite word is "problematic." You're constantly on that
grind. I mean, come on, you even clicked on this article to better your ally skills.
You're a pretty darn good ally, if you do say so yourself.
But hold on there, tiger. Before you go accepting your award for Ally of the Year, it's time to take a step back and check your vocabulary.
We all know the basics: "Gay" is definitely not a synonym for "stupid," and the N-word is off-limits for all white folks forever and always. But there are some words that lurk in the shadows of our everyday vocabulary that we need to confront. It's all part of the truly never-ending quest for a more responsible allyship.
If one of these 12 words is still in your vocabulary, it's time to reframe, rethink and reimagine your word choices.
guys need to stop high fiving over misogynistic lyrics it's proper lame now. Get over yourself etc
— Ellie Goulding (@elliegoulding)
If you're still using the word "lame," you might want to give your internal dictionary a serious update.
"Lame" was originally used in reference to people with reduced mobility due to physical . The word is now tossed around schoolyards and workplaces everywhere to mean "uncool" and "unappealing." Even singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding recently included the word in an activist-oriented tweet addressing misogyny in song lyrics.
For a lot of us, "lame" doesn't have that same bad-word sting many offensive terms have. But that definitely doesn't mean it's OK to use. Disability rights activists have
for the word to phase out. We have a responsibility to respect that.
2. "Retarded"
Carlton's protesting against "the R word" today
— Puddin' (@Puddoug)
We all really need to relinquish the . To catch you up to speed, the term "mental retardation" is a stale, clinical term once used to label what we now call intellectual disabilities. Using the term to mean "stupid" devalues those with intellectual disabilities, which should make you question your word choice.
While adults are guilty of using the term to describe something annoying or unappealing, the word is especially a problem among youth. Stop using it and replace it with more colorful words. And don't forget to politely correct the person, whether grown man or child, who still thinks this term is perfectly fine. It's not.
3. "Colored"
Sure, this is an older term that doesn't lurk in our language all too often, but it's definitely not just a vocab issue for out-of-touch, elder generations. Actor
was rightfully criticized earlier this year for using the term "colored" while advocating for diversity in film during an interview. (No, the irony is not lost.)
The term Cumberbatch (and you) should be using is "," which is a widely accepted umbrella term that includes any non-white person.
"Colored" is outdated. Let's reframe.
WHY do some people not understand OCD is a mental illness not just liking something clean
— grace (@graceaprxl)
When you have your desk all nice and tidy, you might be tempted to proclaim yourself "so OCD." But obsessive-compulsive disorder is a mental illness that means so much more than a knack for organization. It means having a lack of control over certain thoughts or activities, so much so that they inhibit daily life.
Though you may think you're just describing your affinity for Windex, there's a whole population of people who
you trivializing a major daily obstacle. Try using "particular," "clean" or "organized" instead.
I don't have the spoons to explain in depth, but 'derp' and 'herp derp' are ableist terms. Origin in jokes re: intellectual disability
— DeathRay (@LazerCrazy)
If you are into Internet lingo, you've seen an overuse of "herp derp" or "derp" to address Internet faux pas everywhere. It may seem like a quirky phrase that simplifies saying, "That made no sense," or "What are you even talking about?" But
its inception as an Internet meme, it has been consistently used to mock people with intellectual disabilities.
A not-so-quick, yet totally satisfying fix? Go the longer route and say, "Hmm...maybe you're not getting the point, buddy." It's worth the extra characters.
6. "Crazy"
If you're using the term "crazy" countless times a day, you're probably in the norm. But that doesn't mean it's OK. Terms like "crazy" — or "insane," for that matter — make light of mental illness in a way no ally wants to support.
Your boss isn't "crazy" for her serious, she's stern. Your friend isn't "crazy" she's a little misguided. Your cashier wasn't "crazy" for putting your bread and laundry detergent toge he just sucks at bagging.
Other words are always going to be , not to mention more inclusive. Use them.
7. "Tranny"
It’s not the word itself, but the intention behind the word
— RuPaul (@RuPaul)
...but sometimes it is actually the word, RuPaul — especially with a slur this strong.
The T-word is never OK for a cisgender person to use. Behind it is a history of violence and oppression inflicted on transgender bodies that we need to , and respect those who continue to overcome it.
RuPaul Charles of RuPaul's Drag Race was schooled on this term back in 2014, but didn't take the lesson too well. In response to backlash against his copious use of the word "tranny," RuPaul
he "earned the right" to use the term because he's "lived the life." RuPaul, however, is a drag performer who does not identify as transgender. He doesn't have the right to reclaim or use a term that isn't oppressive to him. And neither do you.
Instead, become
to the trans experience. It's a major step in being a good ally to those of marginalized genders.
8. "Illegal"
I am not illegal.
— Human writes (@ianw84)
"Illegal" can refer to the act of stealing a car, but not in reference to .
It's pretty simple to explain: Actions are illegal, people are not. The word "illegal" has been
by those advocating for harsh immigration policies that are undoubtedly racist and xenophobic.
The more inclusive term you're looking for is . Sure, some immigrants aren't in possession of documents, but no person is illegal for existing.
That vending machine cheats you out of a few bucks, and suddenly you're complaining to everyone that you got "gypped" out of your soda. But pump the breaks on that language for a hot second. "Gypped" isn't the term you want to use if you want to keep your ally card.
"Gypped" comes from the word "gypsy," which refers to Romani people who are often
as swindlers. It's a word that has very real implications for the unequal treatment of Romani people today.
Just stick to calling the inanimate vending machine "rude." It's better for everyone.
10. "Exotic"
And why do sooo many of you gauge "exotic ness" (a phrase I hate) by its proximity to whiteness?...
— DarkSkintDostoyevsky (@daniecal)
If your new coworker has a name you've never heard of before, hold your tongue before telling him or her it's "exotic." Using this word ends up exoticizing whomever you're referring to, usually with nasty racial underpinnings. It's a major verbal
we need to undo.
"Exotic" is a term that others. It's also a term usually reserved for animals and plants. So, let's not even go there.
11. "Ghetto"
Suspected to derive from an Italian slang term for waste, the word "ghetto" calls back to
of World War II. But it has also been used to
marginalized communities were forced to inhabit due to social and economic disadvantage. Classism and racism run rampant when you call a place, or a person, "ghetto." And that should make anyone cringe.
So, next time you feel compelled to use that term, think twice, and confront why you want to use it to describe a neighborhood in the first place. Chances are, there are racist and classist undertones to that want, too.
VICKY CHETLEYStop using "fat" in a way that shames others — or even yourself. Sure, fat is something we all have and need to survive. But being concerned about "looking fat" in a dress is a way to shame people who might not fit the conventional beauty standards of our society. It's a way to verbally value thinner people over others.
Allies, feel free to
as an empowering identity (here's looking at you, ). But if you're going to
and say you're "feeling fat" today, refrain. Fat is not a feeling. Fat is not a put-down, nor is it shameful. Fat is a part of your body.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
, , , , , , , , ,
What's New
What's Rising
What's Hot

我要回帖

更多关于 better not to 的文章

随机推荐