Merrigan, a former college professor, is makingrain stops good byeat universities across the country in hope

114网址导航2012高考江苏卷英语 阅读的一小段,请帮忙翻一下谢谢,翻译第二段,也许会用到第一段.Deputy Agriculture Secretary Kathleen Merrigan sees an epidemic(流行病) sweeping across America’s farmland. It has little to do with the usual challenges, such as flood, rising fuel prices and crop-eating insects. The country’s farmers are getting older, and there are fewer people standing in line to take their place. National agricultural census(普查) figures show that the fastest-growing group of farmers is the part over 65. Merrigan is afraid the average age will be even higher when the 2012 statistics are completed.Merrigan, a former college professor, is making stops at universities across the country in hopes of encouraging more students to think about careers in agriculture. Aside from trying to stop the graying of America’s farmers, her work is made tougher by a recent blog posting that put agriculture at No. 1 on a list of “useless” college degrees. Top federal agriculture officials are talking about the posting, and it has the attention of agirucltural organizations across the country.翻译器的算了,等待高人.好的加分.在线等
农业部部长凯思琳梅雷根见证了一场席卷美国农田的流行病.这个现象与例如洪水,燃料价格上涨和吃农作物的昆虫这些寻常的挑战无关.而是该国的农民越来越老龄化,然而他们几乎没有什么愿意从事这项工作的接班人.根据全国农业普查的数字显示,增长最快的农民群体是年龄超过65的农民.梅雷根担心当2012年全国农业普查数据统计完成时,农民平均年龄将更高.梅雷根,是一名前大学教授,目前正在全国各地的大学进行宣传,希望鼓励更多的学生考虑把农业作为职业.除了试图阻止美国农民的老龄化,她的工作,因为最近的一篇宣扬“农业在无用的大学学位的1号名单上”的博客而变得更加艰难.联邦高级农业官员谈论到这篇博客,已得到全国的农业组织的广泛关注.
谢谢你不过有个问题,目前正在全国各地的大学进行宣传,这句话从哪里翻译来的?
“is making stops at universities across the country in hopes of encouraging more students to think about careers in agriculture”这句话中的前面部分 is making stop 怎么翻译到句子中?
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码泰州、姜堰小班化领军品牌|泰州高考复读|江苏高考复读|江苏复读学校|泰州高考复读学校|泰州复读学校|泰州中学复读班|三泰高考补习学校|泰州复读学校|泰州中学复读班-泰州市三泰高考补习学校
报名地点:泰州市春兰路春兰学院
联系电话:(0523) 69108
联&系&人:黄毅
手&&&&机:
网&&&&址:
2013年高考英语考前指导部分资料
发布时间:&&&&文章来源:本校&&&&点击:2250
moreoverin additionon top of thatbesides
environmentgovernmentthe Olympics / the Olympic Games
Part 1 Describe the picture
The picture is talking about/shows…
The picture shows a common phenomenon.
The picture describes an interesting phenomenon.
In the picture, there are…/…is (are) doing…
The picture above is about …
…Let’s look at the picture above/first.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Part 2 Interpret the picture
It seems very ridiculous that…However, this kind of story is performed everywhere.
The picture shows that…It is the exact reflection of…
The picture indicate that we…Nowadays, it is a common phenomenon that…
This is a satirical () cartoon which describes vividly a kind of common phenomenon among…
Part 3& Give your opinions()
I think/believe that &/& As far as I’m concerned, / In my opinion, / From my point of view,/
It is better/advisable to… /& I consider it necessary…
Only in this way can….
Part 1 Describe the graph
topic sentence / conclusion,
•1.The graph/chart/table above shows …
•2. From the above graph/chart,& it can be&&&& seen that...
•3. As is shown in the graph, ...
•4.The chart/table shows the differences between…
Increase, rise, go up, reduce, drop, go down, fall, reach, remain, by/to, slowly, slightly, gradually, sharply, rapidly, the number of…, from…to
While, but, on the contrary, however, compare with, in contrast to ,asas, the same as, be similar to, be difference between, among, more than, less than
Part2: analyze its reasons
1. The reason for…is that…
2. One may think of the change as a result of…
3. The change inlargely results from the fact that…
4. There are several causes for this significant growth in….First,….Second,…
5. This brings out the important fact that
Part 3: give your opinions
1. in a word,/ in short, /generally speaking
2. It’s clear from the chart that…
3. In summary, it is important…
4. From what has been discussed above, we can draw the conclusion that…
5. Obviously, if we want to…, it is necessary…
6. There is no doubt that attention must be paid…
7. As can be seen from the chart that,…
As is shown in the chart, …
9.& As is described in the chart, …
10. After giving a careful consideration to the problem, I think …
11. It is clear from the chart that& …
“”Lily“”
Dear David,
&&& Five years have passed by since we last met in Nanjing. A campaign called Clearing Your Plate is reported to be very popular throughout many big cities in China. It sounds very interesting. Could you please tell me what Clearing Your Plate exactly means? Why do people launch the campaign? And how is it going in your city? Besides, Id like to know your opinion about it.
&&& Looking forward to your reply.
&&& Best wishes!
& Yours, truly,
Dear Lily,
&&& Very glad to hear from you. As for the campaign called Clearing Your Plate,_________________________
&&&& Best wishes!
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&Yours faithfully
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& David
&(一)问题解决类作文写作套路1
Nowadays, __问题__has become a problem we have to face. Though it’s easier said than done, with the help of modern technology, we now have many means to solve it.
By ①(解决方法一), we can not only ②(好处一)but also ③(好处二).
In addition, we can ④(方法二) .Third, what is the most important is that ⑤(方法三) . Only when we ⑥(对策)can we ⑦(前景预测).
In recent days, we have to face a problem that ①(描述问题现状).
People have figured out many ways to solve this problem. First of all ②(解决方法一). Though this method has its good sides like it can ③(带来的好处), one of its bad sides it brings about is that it can ④(带来的坏处). What is more, ⑤(解决方法二) is another means. But it also has its advantages and disadvantages. On the one hand, ⑥(好处) . On the other hand, ⑦(坏处).
All in all, the solutions may not bring the perfect result, but as long as we do it with our brains and hands, we will one day resolve the problem.
With the development of modern industry, more and more people are concerned about the problem ①(描述现状). Accordingly,②(伴随此现状而出现的一些新问题) problem is becoming more and more serious. People have found many solutions to this problem. For instance, ③(采取措施一). However, I’m against the idea of ④(应反对的措施)We can imagine how uncomfortable it would be to ⑤(前景预测).
In brief, ⑥(结论) . But this problem is very complicated. Perhaps people can hardly rely on only one way to solve the problem completely.
(二)积极有利类作文写作
Nowadays, 主题plays an important role in our life. For example, ①(举例说明主题的现状). Generally, its advantages can be listed as follows. First, ②(好处一). Besides, ③(好处二). Through the above analysis, my attitude toward this matter is positive, and the reasons are simple. It not only brings us ④(好处之一), but also gives us ⑤(好处之二)we have not expected. Therefore, I can see its bright future from now on.
(三) 利弊分析类写作
&&&& Nowadays many people prefer 主题because it has a significant role in our daily life. Generally, its advantages can be seen as follows. First, ①(优点之一). Besides, ②优点之二.
But every coin has two sides. The negative aspects are also apparent. One of the important disadvantages is that ③ (第一个缺点) . To make matters worse, ④(第二个缺点).
Through the above analysis, I believe that the positive aspects overweigh the negative ones. Therefore, I would like to ⑤(我的看法).
In recent years 主题has become ①(现状). However, there are both positive and negative points associated with it.
&&&& The most important advantage of 主题is ②(第一个优点); you can ③(举例说明). Furthermore, ④(第二个优点). You will ⑤(举例说明). Another point in favor of A is ⑥(第三个优点). You can ⑦(举例说明).
&& On the other hand, 主题has its disadvantages. Perhaps the most obvious is ⑧(缺点一). Undoubtedly, ⑨(缺点二); obviously ⑩(缺点三). In addition to these points, 11(缺点四).
& To conclude, although 12 (概述主题的缺点), I would say that the advantages outlined above outweigh the disadvantages.
套路3&&&&& With the development of science and human civilization, many formerly unimaginable things come into reality. Some of them have positive effects on our life, but some are distasteful. The phenomenon of ①(主题)is an example of the former/latter ones.
& There are many factors that may account for it, and the following are the most typical ones. First, ②(优点一). In the second place, ③(优点二). Eventually, ④(优点三).
&The negative effects on our life/or sth else could be seen in several ways, too. The apparent example is that ⑤(举例说明缺点一). In addition, ⑥(缺点二). On the whole, the phenomenon is one of the results of the progress of the modern society. There is still a long way for us to improve/eliminate ⑦(主题) and make our life more comfortable.
&Everything has two sides of effects on human life. 主题is no exception, too. The most apparent and positive effect is ①(优点一). It will bring us ②(举例说明一). It also will give us ③(举例说明二). the second advantage lies in ④(优点二). As I have mentioned above, however, A has a negative influence on ⑤(缺点一). Furthermore, A could make us feel ⑥(缺点二). Sometimes ⑦(缺点三). From the comparison between these positive and negative effects of A, we should take it reasonably and do it according to the circumstances we are in. Only by that way, ⑧对前景的预测
  && Nowadays, there is a widespread concern over (the issue that)___作文题目______. In fact, there are both advantages and disadvantages in __题目议题_____. Generally speaking, it is widely believed there are several positive aspects as follows. Firstly, ___优点一______. And secondly ___优点二_____.
  &&& Just As a popular saying goes, "every coin has two sides", __讨论议题______ is no exception, and in another word, it still has negative aspects. To begin with, ___缺点一______. In addition, ____缺点二______.
  &&& To sum up, we should try to bring the advantages of __讨论议题____ into full play, and reduce the disadvantages to the minimum at the same time. In that case, we will definitely make a better use of the ____讨论议题___.
(四)观点对比类作文写作套路1&&& The topic of ①(主题) is becoming the most popular one recently. There are two sides of opinions about it. Some people say A is their favorite. They hold their view for the reason of ②(支持A的理由一). What’s more, ③(理由二) Moreover ④(理由三). However, others think that B is a better choice in the following three reasons. Firstly, ⑤(支持B 的理由一) . Secondly, ⑥(理由二)Thirdly, ⑦(理由三).
&&& From my point of view, I think ⑧(我的观点) . The reason is that ⑨(原因).
Many students like ①(主题). Among them there are two types of attitude in ②(主题). some of them think that A . They think that ③(支持A 的原因)and they should ④(结果).
Other students, however, don’t think so. They feel that B. They argue that ⑤支持B 的原因.&&& I like A. Because ⑥(支持A 的理由). So, as a result, I ⑦(选择A 的结果) . By A, I can ⑧(重申支持A 的理由). I like this way of ⑨(主题).
When asked about A, Some people say that ①(观点一). They argue that ②(理由).
But I could not agree with them in several points. First, I think ③(我反驳的理由一). Furthermore, I believe that ④(理由二), and do not believe that ⑤(理由三). At last,⑥(理由四).
In a word, my personal view emphasizes on ⑦(应采取的对策) in a scientific point, but not from ⑧应反对的做法
  & There is a widespread concern over the issue that __作文题目_____. But it is well known that the opinion concerning this hot topic varies from person to person. A majority of people think that _ 观点一________. In their views there are 2 factors contributing to this attitude as follows: in the first place, ___原因一_______.Furthermore, in the second place, ___原因二_____. So it goes without saying that ___观点一_____. People, however, differ in their opinions on this matter. Some people hold the idea that ___观点二_______. In their point of view, on the one hand, ___原因一_______. On the other hand, ____原因二_____. Therefore, there is no doubt that ___观点二______. 
  && As far as I am concerned, I firmly support the view that __观点一或二______. It is not only because ________, but also because _________. The more _______, the more ________.
(五)定义解释类写作
The good old proverb ①(名言或谚语)reminds us that ②(释义). Indeed, we can learn many things from it.
First of all, ③(理由一). For example, ④(举例说明)Secondly, ⑤(理由二). Another case is that ⑥(举例说明). Furthermore, ⑦(理由三).
In my opinion, ⑧(我的观点).
A famous saying goes that ①(名言或谚语). It means that ②(释义). I have had such experiences for many times. ③(举例说明). It’s also the same in ④(举例说明).
Another case in point is ⑤(举例说明), ⑥(举例说明).
I like the saying― ⑦(我的观点), which encourage me ⑧(理由).
There is an old saying―A. It’s the experience of our forefathers, however, it is correct in many cases even today.
Usually, ①(提出与A 相反的情况). But it isn’t always the case. ②(赞成A 的理由).Assume that ③(正面举例). The result is that ④(带来的结果).
On the contrary, ⑤(反面举例) . Consequently, ⑥(带来的结果).
Whatever you do, please remember the saying―A. If you understand it and apply it to your study or work, you’ll necessarily benefit a lot from it.套路4
  && It is well know to us that the proverb: “___谚语______” has a profound significance and value not only in our job but also in our study. It means ____谚语的含义_______. The saying can be illustrated through a series of examples as follows. ( also theoretically ) A case in point is ___例子一______. Therefore, it is goes without saying that it is of great of importance to practice the proverb ____谚语___.
  && With the rapid development of science and technology in China, an increasing number of people come to realize that it is also of practical use to stick to the saying: ____谚语_____. The more we are aware of the significance of this famous saying, the more benefits we will get in our daily study and job.
(六)英语图表作文写作
  & As is shown/indicated/illustrated by the figure/percentage in the table (graph / picture / pie / chart), __作文题目的议题__ has been on rise/ decrease (goes up / increases / drops / decreases), significantly / dramatically / steadily rising / decreasing from __ in __ to __ in __. From the sharp/marked decline/ rise in the chart, it goes without saying that __.
  &&&There are at least two good reasons accounting for __. On the one hand, __. On the other hand, __ is due to the fact that __.In addition, __ is responsible for __.Maybe there are some other reasons to show __.But it is generally believed that the above mentioned reasons are commonly convincing.
  &&&As far as I am concerned, I hold the point of view that __. I am sure my opinion is both sound and well-grounded.
常用句首短语及句式(Phrases and Sentences Used to Start an Essay)
1. With the (rapidly) growing popularity of Internet surfing (computers/cars/mobile phones/ pagers/PDP television/... ) in China, the quality of our lives is improving for the better.
2. With the (rapid) growth of our economy (heavy industries/transportation system/market economy/population/private enterprises/housing industry/... ), an increasing number of problems, such as (water shortages/traffic jams/industrial pollution/waste of energy/desert spreading/... ), are beginning to surface.
3. With the (rapid) development of science and technology (market economy/electronic industry/ information industry/higher education/... ) an increasing number of people come to realize that (knowledge is power/a weak nation has no International prestige/education is of vital importance … .
4. There is a wide concern that many large state-owned companies are in deficit (赤字) (quite a few Chinese cities face the problem of water shortages, industrial pollution and waste of energy/various kind of superstition flare up/... ).
5. Currently, there is a widespread concern over drug abuse (high unemployment rate / wildlife extinction /environmental pollution/desertification/organized crime/widespread corruption /energy crisis/water shortages/traffic jams/increasing traffic accidents/... )
6. In the past two decades (In the past five years), millions of private enterprises ( private schools / supermarkets / fast food restaurants/... ) have mushroomed all over China
7. There are three major values of owning a car (a computer/an apartment/a mobile phone/a beeper/... ). To begin with ... Next .. Last ... There are, on the other hand, more reasons against it. First(!y) ... Second(!y) ... Finally…
8. Different people have different attitudes towards the biding of the 29th Olympic Games (access to WTO/private cars/high unemployment rate/Internet surfing/private schools/state monopoly of telecommunication/urbanization/stock/... ) Some are in favor of... while others are against…
9. When it comes to the access to WTO (Internet surfing / private schools / brain-drain / e-business / high rate of unemployment/China s football / recycling / widespread corruption … ) most people believe that... But other people argue that...
10. Recently, extensive studies (statistics/surveys/investigations/...) show (reveal/indicate/ demonstrate / prove/... ) that 107 Chinese cities and 1231 small towns suffer water shortages.
常用句尾短语及句式(Phrases and Sentences Used to End an Essay)
1. Without computer (cell telephone / PDP television / cars / microelectronics / telecommunication / Internet/genetics advances/... ), it would be difficult to imagine modern life.
2. We should redouble our efforts to build China into a powerful (prosperous / better... ) nation with international prestige
3. It is necessary for us to take effective measures to correct the situation (fight corruption/ prevent excessive exploitation of natural resources/ease water shortages/... )
4. In order to make our world a better place in which to live, we must learn to live in harmony with all wildlife species (stop polluting our environment right away/conscientiously follow family planning).
5. In short, (population explosion, environmental pollution and exhaustion of natural resources) are the major problems to be solved to make our world a better place in which to live.
6. I want to be a teacher (a doctor/or to do something) not only because.., but also because...
7. It goes without saying that science and technology is the primary productive force. (knowledge is something/creativity is everything/cheating never pays/... )
8. Living in harmony with nature (wildlife) has become a part of modern civilization.
9. The state-owned enterprises (The township enterprises) have only two choices: solve these longstanding problems through reforms or go bankrupt(破产)
10. We should not let the golden opportunity slip by. On the contrary, we should seize any opportunity and face the challenge with confidence, courage and wisdom.
Time spent in talking with parents
Heart-to-Heart Talks with Parents 150
Heart-to-Heart Talks with Parents
As is shown in the bar chart, children spend less time having heart-to-heart talks with their parents when they grow older.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Chrysanthemums Terrace
The Gap Between Children and Parents
一位上小学二年级的女童紧抱着自己的课本,站在震后的废墟前。
在干旱的云南省的一所小学中,孩子们虽然面临饮水和饥饿的困扰,但他们还是在认真听讲。
4月17日,一位上小学二年级的女童紧抱着自己的课本,站在震后的废墟前。&&&&& &&
Natural disasters left students in miserable life. However, they never gave up&& study.
Effective Ways to Reduce Stress
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 2
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 3
2 relieve pressure
Modern life offers us many conveniences, but it also requires us to deal with various kinds of pressure.
Recently, people are having an argument on whether a subway should be built or not in the city. Opinions vary from person to person.
From the chart above, we can see
Heart-to-Heart Talks with Parents
As is shown in the bar chart, children spend less time having heart-to-heart talks with their parents when they grow older. For example, while the 7-9 age group spends as many as 6 hours per week on average, the 16-18 age group spends only half the time.
&&&&&& There are two major reasons for this. First of all, parents are too busy working and children are occupied with their studying, so they can’t spare much time to talk with each other. Secondly there aren’t many topics of common interest for parents and children to talk about. Besides, children can’t have their parents as their own friends because of the generation gap between them.
&&&&&& In my opinion, children should let their parents know more about what they are interested in. At the same time, parents should spend more time talking with their children and sharing opinions with them. Only in this way can they better understand each other.
The Gap Between Children and Parents
After seeing the picture, I couldn’t help laughing. This boy asks his father what he thinks of the song named Chrysanthemums Terrace. But this father takes the song for something to drink. From this, we can learn that there is a big difference between the boy and his father, which is called the generation gap.
We know that young people have many chances to choose their own ways of life in the modern society. They are interested in new things, such as pop music, the Internet, foreign movies and so on, while their parents are conservative and don’t like these. In addition, their parents may be busy with their work and have no free time to know about those new things.
In my opinion, parents should pay more attention to their children’s lives and try to find something in common with their children if they want to understand them better.
Natural disasters left students in miserable life. However, they never gave up&& study. As it’s shown in the two pictures, in a primary school in Yunan, students are learning attentively even though they are in serious trouble of lacking food and drinkable water. It is obvious that they want to equip themselves with knowledge. A girl is standing in front of ruins after the earthquake, holding her books firmly in hand. There is no doubt that she is thirsty for knowledge.
The students in the two photos deserve our admiration. Though experiencing disasters, they still have a strong desire for study. Their perseverance and striving spirit touched everyone’s heart..
The two photos also let me know that I should value what I have. When facing a sticky problem, I won’t give up. I will regard devotion as my goal in life, having more diligence and fewer complaints. Meanwhile, I appeal to the whole society to take actions to improve their living conditions.
Modern life offers us many conveniences, but it also requires us to deal with various kinds of pressure. As for students, their pressure mainly comes from their studies and exams.
Several measures can be adopted to help students to reduce stress. Firstly, they should find should learn different ways to relax, for example, listening to music, doing physical exercise. After all, one’s health is what counts most. Lastly, they may find it helpful to talk to their teachers, friends or relatives about their problems.
As far as I am concerned, when they fail to deal with pressure in their daily lives, they can set down their feelings and convey them to their close friends or even teachers, because it helps students express what has been hidden at the bottom of their heart for a long time.& All in all, it is very important to find an appropriate way to relieve their pressure.
Recently, people are having an argument on whether a subway should be built or not in the city. Opinions vary from person to person.
Some people think it necessary to build a subwayFor one thing, building a subway can help solve traffic problems and people will enjoy a more convenient life. For another, it provides a new means of transportation, which is environmentally friendly.
&&&&&& On the other hand, others hold the opposite opinion. From their point of view, the long process of construction is bound to influence people’s daily life. What’s more, too much money will be spent building it, and it will take a long time to get the money back.
&&&&&& Weighing the pros and cons, I support the idea that a subway should be built because not only will the environment be protected but also more space will be saved.
From the chart above, we can see
From the chart above, we can see that the cost of food, paper, water and electricity increased by 10%, 8 and 15 in 2009. As high school students, what should we do to build a “low-carbon school” in the future? I think we must do as follows:
Firstly, we should form the habit of saving water and electricity. Never leave water running unnecessarily while brushing our teeth and washing hands. Meanwhile, whenever we leave classrooms or our dormitories, make sure that the lights are turned off. Secondly, we should also save every piece of paper as well as other materials by writing on both sides of the paper or using materials to be recycled. Thirdly, in order to reduce food waste, we should get our meals according to how much we can have. Besides, we should often offer to remind our schoolmates to save energy.
If we all do like this, I am sure our school will become more and more beautiful.
1. (2011A)
We know the famous ones―the Thomas Ediso ns and the Alexander Graham Bells ―but what about the less famous inventors? What about the people who invented the traffic light and the windshield wiper()Shouldn’t we know who they are?
Joan Mclean think so. In fact, Mclean, a professor of physics at Mountain University in Range, feels so strongly about this matter that she’s developed a course on the topic. In addition to learning “who” invented “what”, however, Mclean also likes her students to learn the answers to the “why” and “how” questions. According to Mclean,” When students learn the answers to these questions, they are better prepared to recognize opportunities for inventing and more motivated to give inventing a try.”
Her students agree. One young man with a patent for an unbreakable umbrella is walking proof of Melean’s statement. “If I had not heard the story of the windshield wiper’s invention,” said Tommy Lee, a senior physics major, “ I never would have dreamed of turning my bad experience during a rainstorm into something so constructive.” Lee is currently negotiating to sell his patent to an umbrella producer
So, just what is the story behind the windshield wiper? Well, Mary Anderson came up with the idea in 1902 after a visit to New York City. The day was cold and stormy, but Anderson still wanted to see the sights, so she jumped aboard a streetcar. Noticing that the driver was struggling to see through the snow covering the windshield, she found herself wondering why there couldn’t be a built-in device for cleaning the window. Still wondering about this when she returned home to Birmingham, Alabama, Anderson started drafting out solutions. One of her ideas, a lever()on the inside of a vehicle that would control an arm on the outside, became the first windshield wiper.&&&&
Today we benefit from countless inventions and innovationsIt’s hard to imagine driving without Garrett A. Morgan’s traffic light. It’s equally impossible to picture a world without Katherine J. Blodgett’s innovation that makes glass invisible, Can you picture life without clear windows and eyeglasses?
56.By mentioning “traffic light” and “windshield wiper”, the author indicates that countless inventions are &&&&&.
A. beneficial, because their inventors are famous
B. beneficial, though their inventors are less famous
C. not useful, because their inventors are less famous
D. not useful, though their inventors are& famous
57.Professor Joan McLean’s course aims to_____.
A. add colour and variety to students’ campus life
B. inform students of the windshield wiper’s invention
C. carry out the requirements by Mountain University
D. prepare students to try their own invention
58Tommy Lee’s invention of the unbreakable umbrella was _________.
A. not eventually accepted by the umbrella producer&
B. inspired by the story behind the windshield wiper&
C. due to his dream of being caught in a rainstorm
D. not related to Professor Joan McLean’s lectures
59. Which 0f the following can best serve as the title of this passage?
A .How to Help Students to Sell Their Inventions to Producers?
B .How to Design a Built-in Device for Cleaning the Window?
C .Shouldn’t We Know Who Invented the Windshield Wiper?
D.Shouldn’t We Develop Invention Courses in Universities?&&
Shay asked, “Do you think they’ll let me play?” Shay’s father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son, mentally and physically disabled, were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence.
That day, the boys from both teams helped bring a piece true love and humanity into this world. Shay didn’t make it to another summer and died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy and coming home and seeing his mother tearfully hug her little hero of the day!
70. What to you think is the theme of the story?
A. True human nature could be realized in the way we treat each other.
B. Everyone has his own strength even if mentally or physically disabled.
C. Everyone can develop his team spirit in sports and please his parents.
D. The results of the game should not be the only concern of the players.
According to the US government, wind farms off the Pacific coast could produce 900 gig watts of electricity every year. Unfortunately, the water there is far too deep for even the tallest windmills(see picture)to touch bottom. An experiment under way off the coast of Norway, however, could help put them anywhere.
The project, called Hywind, is the world’s first large-scale deepwater wind turbine().Although it uses a fairly standard 152-ton,2.3-megawatt turbine, Hywind represents totally new technology. The turbine will be fixed 213 feet above the water on a floating spar(see picture),a technology Hywind’s creator, the Norwegian company StatoilHydro, has developed recently. The steel spar, which is filled with stones and goes 328 feet below the sea surface, will be tied to the ocean floor by three cable()these will keep the spar stable and prevent the turbine from moving up and down in the waves. Hywind’s stability()in the cold and rough sea would prove that even the deepest corners of the ocean are suitable for wind power. If all goes according to plan, the turbine will start producing electricity six miles off the coast of southwestern Norway as early as September.
To produce electricity on a large scale, a commercial wind farm will have to use bigger turbines than Hywind does, but it’s difficult enough to balance such a large turbine so high on a floating spar in the middle of the ocean. To make that turbine heavier, the whole spar’s to design a new kind of wind turbine, one whose gearbox() sits at sea level rather than behind the blades (see picture )
Hywind is a test run, but the benefits for perfecting floating wind-farm technology could be extremely large. Out at sea, the wind is often stronger and steadier than close to shore, where all existing offshore windmills are planted. Deep-sea farms are invisible from land, which helps overcome the windmill-as-eyesore objection. If the technology catches on, it will open up vast areas of the planet’s surface to one of the best low-carbon power sources available.
63. The Hywind project uses totally new technology to ensure the stability of _______.
A. the cables which tie the spar to the ocean floor B. the spar which is floating in deep-sea water
C. the blades driven by strong and steady sea wind
D. the stones filled in the spar below the sea surface
64. To balance a bigger turbine high on a flatting spar, a new type of turbine is to be designed with its gearbox sitting ____________.
A. on the sea floor&&&&&& B. on the spar top&&&& C. at sea level&&&&&&& D. behind the blades
65. Wide applications of deepwater wind power technology can ____________.
A. solve the technical problems of deepwater windmills
B. make financial profits by producing more turbines
C. settle the arguments about environmental problems
D. explore low-carbon power resources available at sea
Deputy Agriculture Secretary Kathleen Merrigan sees an epidemic () sweeping across Americas farmland. It has little to do with the usual challenges, such as flood, rising fuel prices and crop-eating insects. The country s fanners are getting older, and there are fewer people standing in line to take their place. National agricultural census () figures show that the fastest-growing group of fanners is the part over 65. Merrigan is afraid the average age will be even higher when the 2012 statistics are completed.
Merrigan, a former college professor, is making stops at universities across the country in hopes of encouraging more students to think about careers in agriculture. Aside from trying to stop the graying of .America s farmers, her work is made tougher by a recent blog posting that put agriculture at No.1 on a list of "useless" college degrees. Top federal agriculture officials are talking about the posting, and it has the attention of agricultural organizations across the country.
“There couldn t be anything that s more incorrect," Merrigan said. "We know that there aren t enough qualified graduates to fill the jobs that are out there in American agriculture.
In addition, a growing world population that some experts predict will require 70% more food production by 2050, she said.
“I truly believe we re at a golden age of agriculture. Global demand is at an all-time record high, and global supplies are at all-time record lows," said Matt Rush, director of the Texas Farm Bureau. "Production costs are going to be valuable enough that younger people are going to have the opportunity to be involved in agriculture. "
The Department of Agriculture has programs aimed at developing more farmers and at increasing interest in locally grown food. The National Young Farmers
Coalition has also been pushing for state and federal policy changes to make it easier for new farmers.
Ryan Best, president of Future Fanners of America, has been living out of a suitcase, traveling the country and visiting with high school students about careers in agriculture. The 21 -year-old Best hopes his message-that this is a new time in agriculture-will motivate the next generation to turn around the statistics. Never before have we had the innovations ( ) in technology which have led to agriculture in this country being the most efficient it has ever been,” he said. “there’s really a place for everybody to fit in.”
59. What is the new challenge to American agriculture?
A. Fewer and older farmers.&&&&&&&& B. Higher fuel prices.
C. More natural disasters.&&&&&&&&&&&& D. Lower agricultural output.
60.Why is Merrigan visiting universities across the country?
A.& To draw federal agriculture officials
attention .& B.To select qualified agriculture graduates.
C.& To clarify a recent blog posting.&&&&&& D. To talk more students into farming careers
61. According to Matt Rush, American agriculture will provide opportunities for younger people because__________.
A.& the government will cover production costs&& B. global food supplies will be even lower
C.& investment in agriculture will be profitable&& D. America will increase its food export
62. What do the underlined words "to turn around the statistics" in the last paragraph mean?
A.& To re-analyze the result of the national census.& B.&&&&&& To increase agricultural production.
C.& To bring down the average age of farmers.&&&& D.&&&&& To invest more in agriculture.
Medical drugs sometimes cause more damage than they cure. One solution to this problem is to put the drugs inside a capsule, protecting them from the body―and the body from them―until they can be released at just the right spot. There are lots of ways to trigger() this release, including changing temperature, acidity, and so on. But triggers can come with their own risks―burns, for example. Now, researchers in California have designed what could be a harmless trigger to date: shining near-infrared light (NIR,) on the drug in the capsule.
The idea of using light to liberate the drug in the capsule isn t new. Researchers around the globe have developed polymers () and other materials that begin to break down when they absorb cither ultraviolet (UV,) or visible light. But tissues also readily absorb UV and visible light, which means the drug release can be triggered only near the skin, where the light can reach the capsule. NIR light largely passes through tissues, so researchers have tried to use it as a trigger. But few compounds()&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& absorb NIR well and go through chemical changes.
That changed last year when Adah Almutairi, a chemist at the University of California, San Diego, reported that she and her colleagues had designed a polymer that breaks down when it absorbs NIR light. Their polymer used a commercially available NIR-absorbing group called o-nitrobenzyl (ONB). When they catch the light, ONB groups fall off the polymer, leading to its breakdown. But ONB is only a so-so NIR absorber, and it could be poisonous to cells when it separates from the polymer.
So Almutairi and her colleagues reported creating a new material for capsules that s even better. This one consists of a long chain of compounds called cresol groups linked in a polymer. Cresol contains reactive() components that make it highly unstable in its polymeric form, a feature Almutairi and her colleagues use to their advantage. After polymerizing the cresols, they cap each reactive component with a light-absorbing compound called Bhc. When the Bhcs absorb NIR light, the reactive groups are exposed and break the long polymer into two short chains. Shining additional light continues this breakdown, potentially releasing any drugs in the capsule. What s more, Almutairi says, Bhc is 10 times better at absorbing NIR than is ONB and is not poisonous to cells.
63.& According to the passage, which of the following could be the best trigger?
A. Temperature change.& B. NIR light.&& C. Acidity change.&&&& D. UV light.
64.& Why in ONB unsatisfactory?
A.& It breaks down when it absorbs NIR light.
B.& It falls off the polymer and triggers drug release.
C.& It has not come onto the market up till now.
D.& It is not effective enough and could be poisonous.
65. Which word can be used to complete the following process of changes?
A. Protected&&&&&&& &B. formed&&&&&&&& C. exposed&&&&&&&&&&& D. combined
Franz Kafka wrote that "a book must be the ax () for the frozen sea inside us. " I once shared this sentence with a class of seventh graders, and it didn t seem to require any explanation.
We’d just finished John Steinbeck s novel Of Mice and Men. When we read the end together out loud in class, my toughest boy, a star basketball player, wept a little, and so did I. "Are you crying?" one girl asked, as she got out of her chair to take a closer look. "I am," I told her, "and the funny thing is I ve read it many times. "
But they understood. When George shoots Lennie, the tragedy is that we realize it was always going to happen. In my 14 years of teaching in a New York City public middle school, I ve taught kids with imprisoned parents, abusive parents, i kids who ar k kids who grew up in violent neighborhoods. They understand, more than I ever will, the novel s terrible logic―the giving way of dreams to fate ().
For the last seven years, I have worked as a reading enrichment teacher, reading classic works of literature with small groups of students from grades six to eight. I originally proposed this idea to my headmaster after learning that a former excellent student of mine had transferred out of a selective high school--one that often attracts the literary-minded children of Manhattan s upper classes―into a less competitive setting. The daughter of immigrants, with a father in prison, she perhaps felt uncomfortable with her new classmates. I thought additional "cultural capital" could help students like her develop better in high school, where they would unavoidably meet, perhaps for the first time, students who came from homes lined with bookshelves, whose parents had earned Ph. D. s.
Along with Of Mice and Men, my groups read: Sounder, The Red Pony, Lord of the Flies, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. The students didn t always read from the expected point of view. About The Red Pony, one student said, "it’s about being a man, it’s about manliness. " I had never before seen the parallels between Scarface and Macbeth, nor had I heard Lady Macbeth s soliloquies ()read as raps () , the interpretations were playful, but serious. Once introduced to Steinbeck s writing, one boy went on to read The Grapes of Wrath and told me repeatedly how amazing it was that "all these people hate each other, and they re all white. " His historical view was broadening, his sense of his own country deepening. Year after year former students visited and told me how prepared they had felt in their first year in college as a result of the classes.
Year after year, however, we are increasing the number of practice tests. We are trying to teach students to read increasingly complex texts, not for emotional punch () but for text complexity. Yet, we cannot enrich () the minds of our students by testing them on texts that ignore their hearts. We are teaching them that words do no. amaze but confuse. We mav succeed in raising test scores, but we will fail to teach that reading can be transformative and that it belongs to them.
66.&& The underlined words in Paragraph 1 probably mean that a book helps to________
A. realize our dreams& &&&&&&&&& B. give support to our life
C. smooth away difficulties&&&&&& & D. awake our emolions
67.& Why were the students able to understand the novel Of Mice and Men?
A.&&&&&& Because they spent much time reading it.& B. Because they had read the novel before.
C.&&&&&& Because they came from a public school.& D. Because they had similar life experiences.
68. The girl left the selective high school possibly because_______.
A. she was a literary-minded girl&&&&&&&&&&& B. her parents were immigrants
C. she couldn t fit in with her class&&&&&&& D. her father was then in prison
69. To the author s surprise, the students read the novels&&& ________.
A. creatively&&&&&&&&&&& B. passively&&&&&&&&&& C. repeatedly&&&&&&&&&&& D. carelessly
70. The author writes the passage mainly to________.
A.& introduce classic works of literature&& B. advocate teaching literature to touch the heart
C.& argue for equality among high school students& D. defend the current testing system
7. (2011C)
The garden city was largely the invention of Ebenezer Howard (). After immigrating form England to the USA, and an unsuccessful attempt to make a living as a farmer, he moved to Chicago, where he saw the reconstruction of the city after the disastrous fire of 1871. In those days, it was nicknamed “the Garden City”, almost certainly the source of Howard’s name for his later building plan of towns. Returning to London, Howard developed his design in the 1880s and 1890s, drawing on ideas that were popular at the time, but creating a unique combination of designs.
67. The underlined phrase “drawing on ”in Paragraph 1 probably means______.
&& A. making use of &&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& B. making comments on
&& C. giving an explanation of &&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& D. giving a description of
What is clear, however, is that howling is often used among packmates to locate each other. Hunting grounds are distant and it happens that wolves may separate from one another at times. When this happens, howling appears to be an excellent means of gathering.
Howling, interestingly, is a contagious behavior. When one wolf starts to howl, very likely others will follow. This is often seen to occur in the morning, as if wolves were doing some sort of “ roll call ” where wolves all howl together to report their presence.
58. “ Howling… is a contagious behavior ” ( in the last paragraph ) means ________ .
&&& A. howling is a signal for hunting&&&&&&&& B. howling is a way of communication
&&& C. howling often occurs in the morning&&& D. howling spreads from one to another
9.(09C)&& How Room Designs Affect Our Work and Feelings
Architects have long had the feeling that the places we live in can affect our thoughts, feelings and behaviors. But now scientists are giving this feeling an empirical() basis. They are discovering how to design spaces that promote creativity, keep people focused and lead to relaxation.
Researches show that aspects of the physical environment can influence creativity. In 2007, Joan Meyers-Levy at the University of Minnesota, reported that the height of a room s ceiling affects how people think. Her research indicates that higher ceilings encourage people to think more freely, which may lead them to make more abstract connections. Low ceilings, on the other hand, may inspire a more detailed outlook.
In additions to ceiling height, the view afforded by a building may influence an occupant s ability to concentrate. Nancy Wells and her colleagues at Cornell University found in their study that kids who experienced the greatest increase in greenness as a result of a family move made the most gains on a standard test of attention.
Using nature to improve focus of attention ought to pay off& academically, and it seems to, according to a study led by C. Kenneth Tanner, head of the School Design & Planning Laboratory at the University of Georgia. Tanner and his team found that students in classrooms with unblocked views of at least 50 feet outside the window had higher scores on tests of vocabulary, language arts and maths than did students whose classrooms primarily overlooked roads and parking lots.
Recent study on room lighting design suggests than dim() light helps people to loosen up. If that is true generally, keeping the light low during dinner or at parties could increase relaxation. Researchers of Harvard Medical School also discovered that furniture with rounded edges could help visitors relax.
So far scientists have focused mainly on public buildings. "We have a very limited number of studies, so we re almost looking at the problem through a straw()," architect David Allison says. "How do you take answers to very specific questions and make broad, generalized use of them? That s what we re all struggling with."&
The underlined sentence in the last paragraph probably means that ______.
& &A. the problem is not approached step by step&
B. the researches so far have faults in themselves&&
&& C. the problem is too difficult for researchers to detect&&&&
&& D. research in this area is not enough to make generalized patterns
67. Which of the following shows the organization of the passage?
CP: Central Point&&& P: Point&& SP: Sub-point()&& C: Conclusion
Wilderness
“In wilderness() is the preservation of the world.” This is a famous saying from a writer regarded as one of the fathers of environmentalism. The frequency with which it is borrowed mirrors a heated debate on environmental protection: whether to place wilderness at the heart of what is to be preserved.&&
As John Sauven of Greenpeace UK points out, there is a strong appeal in images of the wild, more than anything else, they speak of the nature that many people value most dearly. The urge to leave the subject of such images untouched is strong, and the danger exploitation() brings to such landscapes() is real. Some of these wildernesses also perform functions that humans need―the rainforests, for example, store carbon in vast quantities. To Mr.Sauven, these ”ecosystem services” far outweigh the gains from exploitation.
Lee Lane, a visiting fellow at the Hudson Institute, takes the opposing view. He acknowledges that wildernesses do provide useful services, such as water conservation. But that is not, he argues, a reason to avoid all human presence, or indeed commercial and industrial exploitation. There are ever more people on the Earth, and they reasonably and rightfully want to have better lives, rather than merely struggle for survival. While the ways of using resources have improved, there is still a growing need for raw materials, and some wildernesses contain them in abundance. If they can be tapped without reducing the services those wildernesses provide, the argument goes, there is no further reason not to do so. Being untouched is not, in itself, a characteristic worth valuing above all others.
I look forwards to seeing these views taken further, and to their being challenged by the other participants. One challenge that suggests itself to me is that both cases need to take on the question of spiritual value a little more directly. And there is a practical question as to whether wildernesses can be exploited without harm.
This is a topic that calls for not only free expression of feelings, but also the guidance of reason. What position wilderness should enjoy in the preservation of the world obviously deserves much more serious thinking.
67. John Sauven holds that_____.
&& A. many people value nature too much
&& B. exploitation of wildernesses is harmful
&& C. wildernesses provide humans with necessities
&& D. the urge to develop the ecosystem services is strong
68. What is the main idea of Para. 3?
&& A. The exploitation is necessary for the poor people.
&& B. Wildernesses cannot guarantee better use of raw materials.
&& C. Useful services of wildernesses are not the reason for no exploitation.
&& D. All the characteristics concerning the exploitation should be treated equally.
69. What is the author’s attitude towards this debate?
&& A. Objective.&&&&&&&&& B. Disapproving.&& C. Sceptical.&&&&&&&&&& D. Optimistic.
70. Which of the following shows the structure of the passage?
&&&&&& A. &&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& B.
&&&&&& C. &&& &&&&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& D.
CP: Central Point&&& &&&&&& &&&&&& P: Point&& &&&&&& &&&&&& Sp: Sub-point()&& &&&&&& C: Conclusion
13.(2009&&& Communication Principles
How you see yourself can make a great difference in how you communicate“Every individual exists in a continually changing world of experience of which heor sheis the center”Many communication scholars and social scientists believe that people are products of how others treat them and of the messages others send themBut every day we experience the centrality of our selves in communicationA studentfor instancemay describe a conflict with a teacher as unfair treatment“I know my teacher doesn’t like the fact that I don’t agree with his opinionsand that’s why he gave me such a poor grade in that class”The teacher might say the oppositeEach person may believe that he is correct and that the other person’s view is wrong
The concept of serf originates in communicationThrough verbal and nonverbal symbols, a child learns to accept roles in response to the expectations of othersYou establish self-imageThe sort of person you believe you areby how others think of youPositivenegativeand neutral messages that you receive from others all play a role in determining who you areCommunication itself is probably best understood as a dialogue processOur understanding of communication comes from our interactions with other peopleIn a more obvious waycommunication involves others in the sense that a competent communicator considers what the other person needs and expects when selecting messages to shareSothe communication begins with the selfas defined largely by othersand involves othersas defined largely by the self
Communication Occurs almost every minute of your lifeIf you are not communicating& with yourselfthinkingplanningreacting to the world around youyou are observing others and drawing inferences from their behaviorEven if the other person did not intend a message for youyou gather observations and draw specific conclusionsA person yawns and you believe that person is bored with your messageA second person looks away from you and you conclude that person is not listening to youA third person smilesperhaps because of a memory of a joke he heard recently and you believe that he is attracted to youWe are continually picking up meanings from others’ behaviors and we are constantly providing behaviors that have communicative value for them
More often than notyou may have hurt someone accidentally and you may have tried to explain that you did not mean that. You may have told the other person that you were sorry for your statementYou may have made a joke out of your rude statementNonethelessyour comment remains both in the mind of the other person and in your own mindYou cannot go back in time and erase your messages to othersCommunication cannot be reversednor can it be repeatedWhen you tried to re―create the atmospherethe conversationand the settingnothing seemed rightYour second experience with a similar setting and person made far different results
Paragraph outline
Supporting Details
Communication begins with the self
●People are somewhat products of others’ treatment and messages
●we are always71& ▲& in communication with others
Communication 72 ▲ others
●Experiences of others help children learn to accept roles
●Messages from others help you73& ▲& who you are
●Needs and74& ▲& of others should be considered
Communication
75& ▲ everywhere
●We are communicating with ourselves by thinkingplanning and reacting to the outside world
●We are always76& ▲& other people by observing even if they do not intend any message for you
●We are constantly collecting meanings from others’77& ▲&
●We are constantly78& ▲& meanings by what we do
Communication cannot be reversed nor repeated
●You may explain what you have donebut you cannot79& ▲& &&what remains in the other person’s mind
●Yon may redo the conversationbut you80& ▲& achieve the same results
联系电话:(0523) 63655 联系人:黄毅
报名地点:泰州市春兰路春兰学院

我要回帖

更多关于 rain stops good bye 的文章

随机推荐