accrdion和the musicians译文的怎么读?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dion Francis DiMucci (born July 18, 1939), better known
as Dion, is an
whose work has incorporated elements of ,
styles—and, most recently, straight . He was one of the most popular American rock and roll performers of the pre- era. He had more than a dozen Top 40 hits in the late 1950s and early 60s. He is best remembered for the 1961 singles, "" and "", written with .
Dion's popularity waned in the mid-1960s, perhaps due to the public's changing taste in , and perhaps in part due to personal difficulties he had during this period. But toward the end of the decade, he shifted his style and produced songs with a more mature, contemplative feeling, such as "". He became popular again in the late 1960s and into the mid-1970s, and he has continued making music ever since. Critics who had dismissed his early work, pegging him as merely a , praised his later work, and noted the influence he has had on other musicians.
Dion was inducted into the
Dion was born to an
family in , . As a child, he accompanied his father, Pasquale DiMucci, a
entertainer, on tour, and developed a love of
– particularly the work of . He also developed a fondness for the
musicians he heard performing in local bars and on the radio. His singing was honed on the street corners and local clubs of the Bronx, where he and other neighborhood singers created
In early 1957, he auditioned for Bob and Gene Schwartz, who had just formed Mohawk Records. They recorded Dion singing lead on a song which had been arranged by
and pre-recorded with everything but the lead vocals. The backing vocals were by a group called "The Timberlanes", whom Dion had never met. The resulting single, "The Chosen Few", was released under the name, Dion and the Timberlanes, and became a minor regional hit. Writing about this experience later, in his autobiography, The Wanderer, Dion said that he had never met the Timberlanes and didn't even know who they were. "The vocal group was so white bread, I went back to my neighborhood and I recruited a bunch of guys --three guys-- and we called ourselves Dion and the Belmonts."
Main article:
Bob and Gene Schwartz also signed Dion's friends, , (Carlo Mastrangelo, Fred Milano, and Angelo D'Aleo), a vocal group named for nearby Belmont Avenue, and teamed them, with Dion singing lead. The new group's breakthrough came in early 1958, when "I Wonder Why" (on their newly formed "Laurie" label) made No. 22 on the U.S. charts. Dion said of the B "I'd give 'em sounds. I'd give 'em parts and stuff. That's what 'I Wonder Why' was about. We kind of invented this percussive rhythmic sound. If you listen to that song, everybody was doing something different. There's four guys, one guy was doing bass, I was singing lead, one guy's going 'ooh wah ooh', and another guy's doing tenor. It was totally amazing. When I listen to it today, often times I think, 'Man, those kids are talented.'"
Their initial hit was followed by "" and "Don't Pity Me", which also charted the Billboard Top 100. This success won Dion and the Belmonts a place on the ill-fated "The Winter Dance Party" tour with , ,
(J.P. Richardson), , and other performers. On February 3, 1959, after a concert stop in , Holly and others decided to charter a flight to the next venue rather than travel on the tour bus. Dion was invited to accompany the group but decided that he did not want to spend $36 for the flight, as it was the same monthly rent his parents paid for his childhood apartment and he couldn't justify the indulgence. ,
Holly, Valens, Richardson, and the pilot Roger Peterson. Dion and the Belmonts continued on the tour, along with Frankie Sardo, while , then an unknown artist, performed in Holly's place at the very next concert. Later, , , and Fabian were added to replace the other now-deceased headliners.
Dion and the Belmonts' next single, "", was released in March 1959, eventually hitting No. 5 on the U.S. pop charts and No. 28 in the UK. The trio's biggest hit, "", was released in November of that year, and reached No. 3 on the U.S. charts. However, in early 1960, Dion checked into hospital for
addiction, a problem he had had since his mid-teens. Further single releases for the group that year were less successful. There were musical, personal and financial differences between Dion and members of the Belmonts, and in October 1960, Dion decided to quit for a solo career. By the time of their breakup, all eight Laurie releases had charted on the Hot 100.
By the end of 1960, Dion had released his first solo album on Laurie, Alone with Dion, and the single "", which rose to No. 12 in the US charts. The name on his solo releases was simply "Dion". Follow-ups "Havin' Fun" and "Kissin' Game" had less success, and the signs were that Dion would drift onto the cabaret circuit. However, he then recorded, with a new vocal group, , an up-tempo number co-written with . The record, "", stormed up the U.S. charts, reaching No. 1 in October 1961, and No. 11 in the UK, where he also toured. "Runaround Sue" sold over a million copies, achieving
For the next single, Laurie promoted the A-side, "The Majestic", but it was the B-side, Maresca's "", which received more radio play and climbed swiftly up the charts to reach No. 2 in the U.S. in February 1962 and No. 10 in the UK (the 1976 re-release made the UK Top 20). "The Wanderer" has been used in the post-apocalyptic role-playing game
in a trailer of the same name released in 2015.
By the end of 1961, Dion had become a major star, touring worldwide and making an appearance in the
musical film . He followed with a string of singles – "" (No. 3), "" (No. 8), "" (No. 10) – in 1962, several of which he wrote or co-wrote. He also had successful albums with Runaround Sue and Lovers Who Wander.
At the end of 1962, Dion moved from Laurie to . The first Columbia single, 's "" (originally a hit for ) reached No. 2, while "" and "" (another cover of a Drifters hit) both reached No. 6 in late 1963. (Dion also recorded an Italian version of "Donna the Prima Donna" using the identical backup vocals.) His other Columbia releases were less successful, and problems with his addiction and changing public tastes, especially , saw a period of commercial decline.
Following a European tour, Dion returned to the U.S. and was introduced to classic blues by Columbia’s . To the consternation of his management, he began recording more blues-oriented material, including 's "" and "", but these releases – some produced by , with
on keyboards – were not commercially successful. In 1965, still with Columbia, Dion formed a new group to back him, The Wanderers, composed of John Falbo on guitar, Pete Baron (Pete Falciglia) on bass, and Carlo Mastrangelo of The Belmonts on drums. They made national appearances on Dick Clark's, Where The Action Is, and The Lloyd Thaxton Show. A number of self-penned tracks were recorded and released unsuccessfully as singles, and did not appear in album format until years later. In June 1965 he recorded fellow ’s contemporary 's composition "" a half year before
(featuring )'s hit version.
In 1966–67, Dion briefly reunited with The Belmonts recording the LP Together Again for . The album was unsuccessful, despite one classic self-penned song, "My Girl The Month Of May". Two singles were released from the LP. While neither charted in the United States, they fared better in the UK. "My Girl The Month Of May" entered the "Radio London Fab 40" top ten at No. 9 the week of December 25, 1966. One reviewer stated, "some British radio DJ's gave it a lot of airplay at the time." The follow up, "Movin Man", reached No. 17 on the "Radio London" charts on Easter Sunday, March 26, 1967. "My Girl The Month Of May", was later covered by English artists Alan Bown in 1967, and The Bunch (featuring Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention) in April 1972. During their brief mid 60's reunion, Dion and the Belmonts appeared on the popular "Clay Cole Show" performing "Berimbau" and "My Girl The Month of May", and occasionally performed at local New York City clubs such as "The Mardi Gras" on Staten Island (April 29, 1967) before disbanding. While Dion’s career appeared to be nearing an end, he still retained enough credibility to be, along with , one of only two rock artists featured on the album cover of '
In April 1968, Dion experienced what he identified as a powerful religious experience. After getting clean once again from heroin addiction, an experience he documented in his 1970 song "Your Own Backyard", he approached Laurie Records for a new contract. They agreed on condition that he record the song "", written by
(also the writer of 's "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron") in response to the assassination of
on 22 November 1963 and those of
during the spring of 1968. The success of this song – released by Dion in August 1968 and later recorded by many others including
– which reached No. 4 in the US charts and No. 1 in Canada, resuscitated Dion's career. It sold over one million copies, and was awarded a .
For the next few years, Dion's music became radically different, moving to more contemplative and mature material. He released several albums essentially as a singer-songwriter, to moderate sales, moving to the
label in 1969.
There followed a live reunion show with
on June 2, 1972, which was recorded and released as a live album by Warner. A year later, in 1973, Dion and the original Belmonts performed once more, doing a sold out concert at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, New York. However, no recording of the 1973 reunion was ever released. This was followed in 1975 by the album Born To Be With You, produced by . The album was a commercial failure, but has been subsequently praised by such artists as
and the track 'Only You Know' was sampled by
for his single "" from his 2006 solo album .
In 1978, Dion released an album drawing on many of his teenage influences, Return of the Wanderer, another commercial failure.
In December 1979, there was a radical spiritual change in Dion, who had become a . Thereafter, his recordings for several years were in a
vein, in which he released five albums on the
label, a division of Word Records in . These albums reflecting his
Christian convictions were Inside Job (1980), Only Jesus (1981), I Put Away My Idols (1983) which charted at #37, Seasons (1984), Kingdom in the Streets (1985) and Velvet & Steel (1986). Several singles were successfully released to , notably "Still in the Spirit" from Kingdom in the Streets.
In 1984, Dion won the
(Christian Music Award) for the album I Put Away My Idols. He was also nominated for
for the same album.
On September 24, 1985, Dion was a guest on .
In 1987, Dion agreed to do a concert of his old hits at
in New York. The two disc CD of this concert was released in 2005, featuring concert photos by Dion's friend, Michael J. Friedman. This concert helped free him to celebrate both his past and his future, and led to a series of special appearances, including a fundraiser for homeless medical relief. There he shared the stage with fans such as ,
and , all of whom cited Dion as one of their prime influences.
In 1988, Dion's
(co-authored by Davin Seay) titled The Wanderer: Dion's Story was published.
In 1989, DiMucci returned to rock music with the contemporary album Yo Frankie, which included appearances by Paul Simon, Lou Reed, ,
and . Produced by
(who also played guitar on the album), "Yo Frankie has a sharp sound while never losing sight of Dion's soulful,
voice." Overall, "the relevant and
statement from an artist who helped forge 's first wave" found his way back on
during this period (both on
and ), as well as .
Dion was inducted into the
in 1989 (with a moving introduction by Lou Reed). Controversially, when Dion's solo induction into the
occurred, the other original members of the Belmonts, (Carlo Mastrangelo, Fred Milano, and Angelo D'Aleo) were not inducted, and as of 2014, have yet to be. In a Billboard Magazine article, dated January 3, 2012, it was stated: "There was strife between DiMucci and Belmonts members, who were not pleased when DiMucci was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame without them in 1989."
In the late 1990s, Dion visited his old
, , and returned to .
DiMucci joined
and Mike Mesaros of
in a short-lived band called Little Kings. A live album was later released, but not widely circulated or promoted.
Dion has released several albums with contemporary rock artists. His Déjà Nu album in 2000 found him covering Bruce Springsteen, a major follower over the years. He joined
onstage in
in 2002 for a performance of "If I Should Fall Behind" from Dream On Fire.
In 2002, Dion was inducted into the
for "". He continues to perform songs from his albums live.
In January 2006, Dion released Bronx in Blue, an album of blues and country standards, which was nominated for a . In November 2007 he issued a follow-up in similar vein, Son of .
In October 2008, DiMucci released Heroes: Giants of Early Guitar Rock, an album of his covers of early rock and roll songs he considers seminal to the genre. The album includes versions of songs originally recorded by , , ,
and many other early rock guitarists.
In October 2009, Dion performed "The Wanderer" with
Now a practicing , Dion pursues
and reaches out to men going through
recovery. He is also a member of the American
of Renewal Ministries. He currently lives in , , and .
On January 24, 2012, Dion released a new album, Tank Full of Blues.
As of 2015, Dion was still touring. On 5 April 2015, Dion performed "Donna the Prima Donna" live in Las Vegas. On 11 July 2015, he held a concert in Westbury, New York.
In 2015, he released a single, New York Is My Home, with . Dion had previously worked with Simon on his 1989 hit Written on the Subway Wall. The single was followed by the album New York Is My Home, released 12 February 2016.
Dion is planning four concerts in the U.S. during spring 2016. Dion was invited as a keynote speaker for the 2016
in Texas. He spoke on the topic A Conversation with Dion: Rock's Enduring Voice on 17 March 2016.
On October 13, 2011, an industry-only reading of a new play about Dion's life was performed in .
In a December 9, 2011 article in , Dion and his collaborator, writer/director , discussed details about the project, titled The Wanderer: The Life and Music of Dion, revealing that it will focus on the years between 1957 until the late 60s and will feature more than 20 songs from that era as well as new, original music. In the article, Dion gave his perspective on the story: "You know, I always saw my story as a young Sopranos with great music and a Rocky Graziano Somebody Up There Likes Me ending. It's a story of redemption. A rock and roll redemption story!"
Presenting Dion and the Belmonts
Wish Upon a Star with Dion and the Belmonts
Together Again
Live at Madison Square Garden 1972
Top Christian
Top Blues Albums
Runaround Sue
Alone with Dion
Lovers Who Wander
Dion Sings to Sandy
Donna the Prima Donna
Love Come to Me
Laurie Records
Wonder Where I'm Bound
Columbia Records
Sit Down Old Friend
You're Not Alone
Suite For Late Summer
Warner Bros. Records
Return of the Wanderer
Lifesong Records
Fire in the Night
Inside Job
Only Jesus
I Put Away My Idols
Kingdom in the Streets
Velvet and Steel
DaySpring Records
Yo Frankie
Rock N' Roll Christmas
Ace Records
New Masters
Collectables Records
Bronx in Blue
Son of Skip James
Tank Full of Blues
New York Is My Home
Dion Sings His Greatest Hits
More of Dion's Greatest Hits
Dion's Greatest Hits
Everything You Always Wanted to Hear by Dion and the Belmonts But Couldn't Get
Bronx Blues: The Columbia Recordings ()
The Road I'm On: A Retrospective
Release date
Titles (A-side, B-side)
Both sides from same album except where indicated
US record label and number
Chart Positions
"Santa Margarita"
b/w "Teenage Clementine"
Mohawk 106
Non-album tracks
"Tag Along"
b/w "We Went Away"
Mohawk 107
b/w "Teen Angel" (from Dion Sings His Greatest Hits)
Laurie 3013
Presenting Dion and The Belmonts
b/w "I Can't Go On (Rosalie)" (from Together)
Laurie 3015
"Don't Pity Me"
b/w "Just You"
Laurie 3021
b/w "I've Cried Before"
Laurie 3027
"A Lover's Prayer" /
Laurie 3035
Wish Upon A Star With Dion and The Belmonts
"Every Little Thing I Do"
b/w "That's My Desire"
Laurie 3044
Presenting Dion and The Belmonts
b/w "Wonderful Girl" (from Presenting Dion and The Belmonts)
Laurie 3052
Wish Upon A Star With Dion and The Belmonts
b/w "A Funny Feeling" (from Presenting Dion and The Belmonts)
Laurie 3059
"Berimbau"
b/w "My Girl The Month Of May"
Together Again
"For Bobbie"
b/w "Movin' Man"
Release date
Titles (A-side, B-side)
Both sides from same album except where indicated
US record label and number
Chart Positions
b/w "Little Miss Blue"
Laurie 3070
Alone With Dion
"Havin’ Fun"
b/w "North East End Of The Corner"
Laurie 3081
"Kissin’ Game"
b/w "Heaven Help Me"
Laurie 3090
Love Came To Me
"Somebody Nobody Wants"
b/w "Could Somebody Take My Place Tonight" (from Love Came To Me)
Laurie 3101
Runaround Sue
b/w "Runaway Girl"
Laurie 3110
Laurie 3115
"The Majestic"
Laurie 3123
Lovers Who Wander
"(I Was) Born To Cry"
b/w "Lost For Sure"
Laurie 3134
b/w "Little Girl"
Laurie 3145
Love Came To Me
b/w "He'll Only Hurt You"
Columbia 42662
b/w "Faith" (from Together)
Laurie 3153
Dion Sings To Sandy
"This Little Girl"
b/w "The Loneliest Man In The World" (from Ruby Baby)
Columbia 42776
Donna The Prima Donna
b/w "King Without A Queen"
Laurie 3171
Lovers Who Wander
"Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw"
b/w "I Can't Believe (That You Don't Love Me Anymore)"
Columbia 42810
Donna The Prima Donna
"Lonely World"
b/w "Tag Along" (Non-album track)
Laurie 3187
More Of Dion's Greatest Hits
b/w "You're Mine"
Columbia 42852
Donna The Prima Donna
b/w "No One's Waiting For Me"
Columbia 42917
Non-album tracks
"Then I'll Be Tired Of You"
b/w "After The Dance"
Laurie 3225
Alone With Dion
b/w "The Road I'm On (Gloria)"
Columbia 42977
Non-album tracks
b/w "Little Girl" (from Love Came To Me)
Laurie 3240
Lovers Who Wander
b/w "Chicago Blues"
Columbia 43096
Non-album tracks
"Unloved, Unwanted Me"
b/w "Sweet, Sweet, Baby" (from Donna The Prima Donna)
Columbia 43213
"Kickin' Child"
b/w "Spoonful"
Columbia 43293
Non-album tracks
"Tomorrow Won't Bring The Rain"
b/w "You Move Me Babe"
Columbia 43423
"I Got The Blues"
b/w "(I Was) Born To Cry" (from Lovers Who Wander)
Laurie 3303
"Time In My Heart For You"
b/w "Wake Up Baby"
Columbia 43483
"Two Ton Feather"
b/w "So Much Younger"
Columbia 43692
b/w "Daddy Rollin' (In Your Arms)" (Non-album track)
Laurie 3464
b/w "The Dolphins"
Laurie 3478
"I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound"
b/w "Southern Train"
Columbia 44719
Wonder Where I'm Bound
"From Both Sides Now"
b/w "Sun Fun Song"
Laurie 3495
"He Looks A Lot Like Me"
b/w "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever"
Laurie 3504
"If We Only Have Love"
b/w "Natural Man"
Warner Bros. 7356
Sit Down Old Friend
"Your Own Back Yard"
b/w "Sit Down Old Friend" (from Sit Down Old Friend)
Warner Bros. 7401
Born To Be With You
"Close To It All"
b/w "Let It Be"
Warner Bros. 7469
You're Not Alone
"Sunniland"
b/w "Josie"
Warner Bros. 7491
"Sanctuary"
b/w "Brand New Morning"
Warner Bros. 7537
"Running Close Behind You"
b/w "Sea Gull"
Warner Bros. 7663
Suite For Late Summer
"Doctor Rock and Roll"
b/w "Sunshine Lady" (from Sanctuary)
Warner Bros. 7704
Non-album track
"New York City Song"
b/w "Richer Than A Rich Man" (Non-album track)
Warner Bros. 7793
Born To Be With You
"Make The Woman Love Me"
b/w "Running Close Behind You" (from Suite For Late Summer)
Warner/Spector 0403
"Born To Be With You"
b/w "Good Lovin' Man"
Big Tree/Spector 16063
"The Wanderer"
b/w "Little Diane"
Dion's Greatest Hits (UK)
"Hey My Love"
b/w "Lover Boy Supreme"
Warner Bros. 8234
Streetheart
"The Way You Do The Things You Do"
b/w "Lover Boy Supreme"
Warner Bros. 8258
"Queen Of '59"
b/w "Oh The Night"
Warner Bros. 8293
"Young Virgin Eyes (I'm All Wrapped Up)"
b/w "Oh The Night" (from Streetheart)
Warner Bros. 8406
Non-album track
"Heart Of Saturday Night"
b/w "You've Awakened Something In Me"
Lifesong 1765
Return Of The Wanderer
"Midtown American Main Street Gang"
b/w "Guitar Queen"
Lifesong 1770
"(I Used To Be A) Brooklyn Dodger"
b/w "Streetheart Theme"
Lifesong 1785
"Fire In The Night"
b/w "Street Mama"
Lifesong 45082
Non-album tracks
"Sweet Surrender"
B-side unknown
Dayspring 618
Inside Job
"The Best"
B-side unknown
Dayspring 622
Only Jesus
"Day Of The Lord"
B-side unknown
Dayspring 632
I Put Away My Idols
"I Put Away My Idols"
B-side unknown
Dayspring 633
"Golden Sun, Silver Moon"
B-side unknown
"Still In The Spirit"
B-side unknown
Kingdom In The Streets
"Simple Ironies"
B-side unknown
Velvet and Steel
b/w "Tower Of Love"
Arista 9797
Yo Frankie
"King Of The New York Streets"
b/w "The Wanderer" (Non-album track)
Arista 662556
"Written on the Subway Wall"/"Little Star" with
"King Of The New York Streets"
b/w "And The Night Stood Still"/"Tower Of Love"
Arista 662910
"" (From "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane")
Elektra 8191
The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane (soundtrack)
"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
b/w "Jingle Bell Rock"
The Right Stuff 17651
Rock 'N Roll Christmas
"Please Come Home For Christmas"
b/w "Wintertime" (Non-album track)
The Right Stuff 19769
"New York Is My Home" (with )
New York Is My Home
Richie Unterberger (). . AllMusic. Unterberger writes, "his critical rep has risen steadily since the early '60s, with many noted contemporary musicians showering him with praise and citing his influence."
Sam Howe Vaerhovek (June 19, 1987). . New York Times.
DiMucci, Dion with Davin Seay: The Wanderer - Dion's Story. Beach Tree, 1988, p. 58
DiMucci, Dion: The Wanderer, page 89. Beech Tree Books, 1988
Hetter, K Marsh, Rene (March 4, 2015). . CNN 2015.
Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 156.  .
. FamousSingers.org 2015.
Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 134.  .
Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 238.  .
Call Us Free: 1-800-800-0800. . .
Dolan, Jon (). . .
. Future Rock Legends. .
. Billboard.
David Gonzalez (May 14, 2008). . New York Times.
Todd Leopold (October 23, 2009). . .
Dave (). . Fretbase.
December 23, 2008, at the .
. YouTube.
. YouTube.
Grow, Kory (). . .
. Medleyville.us.
Bowling, Suzanna (October 19, 2011). . The Times Square Chronicle 2011.
Gonzalez, David (December 9, 2011). . The New York Times 2011.
Grow, Kory (November 12, 2015). . .
Source : sleeve notes, King of the New York Streets box set
Wikimedia Commons has media related to .
: Hidden categories:

我要回帖

更多关于 three musicians 的文章

随机推荐