下载提示
1.本站不保证该用户上传的文档完整性,不预览、不比对内容而直接下载产生的反悔问题本站不予受理。
2.该文档所得收入(下载+内容+预览三)归上传者、原创者。
3.登录后可充值,立即自动返金币,充值渠道很便利
你可能关注的文档:
··········
Unit 6 Wit and fit
Listening to the world
F: Often it’s hard to find a time to exercise when you have a full-time job. Lots of my friends
belong to gyms but I prefer to go running outside to keep fit. How about you? What do you do
to keep fit?
M1 = Man 1, etc.; W1 = Woman 1, etc.
M1: Uh … I do quite a few things actually. Um, I go to the gym quite regularly. I go for runs. Er,
I’m also a little bit involved in the sport of rowing. So, I’m down there quite a bit. I coach,
actually coach rowing as well.
W1: I have three children, and I work full-time. And I don’t have a lot of time to do any extra
organized exercise.
W2: Er, the main thing I do is I do practice yoga, that incorporates different positions as well as
meditation, and different breathing techniques.
M2: Usually, I ride my bike, like I got here. And I go to the gym more or less three to four times a
week. And I also watch what I eat.
W3: I dance, and I do yoga – and I just try to be as active as possible – enjoy nature also.
M3: I try and walk everywhere because, um, I don’t really enjoy running.
W4: I have quite a hectic lifestyle as a musician but I do try to keep fit – going to the gym, yoga
classes, Pilates classes, er, sometimes running, and generally keeping active.
W5: I’m a police officer, so I have quite an active job. Um, I can spend 8 or 12 hours doing foot
patrol, um, walking round the streets of London so I suppose that keeps me quite fit.
F: What other things would you like to do to keep fit?
M1: I’d love to get involved with some team sports. I really enjoy, sort of, the team aspect of sport.
Er, particularly I think I’d like to get into hockey.
W1: I’d quite like to learn how to play tennis properly. Er, it’s probably one of the only sports that
I’ it’s something I would watch on TV.
M2: I would like to run, but, er … my legs are, are not running legs, so I prefer to cycle.
W3: I would like to learn to rock climb.
M3: I would act
正在加载中,请稍后...综合教程 1Unit 4 Sports Unit 4Sports Unit 4SportsPart ALead in Text ExercisePart BLead in Text ExercisePart CPhonetics Grammar Writing Functions and Notions Workshop Part ALead inTask 1Task 2Task 3 Part ALead inTask 1 Study the pictures and discuss the questions below in small groups. Use the words given below if necessary.1.What are they doing?Cues: football, basketball, badminton2.3.Which of the sports below do you like most? Why?Cues: exciting, skillsWhat is the most popular sport in your college?Cues: player, place Part ALead inTask 1 Study the pictures and discuss the questions below in small groups. Use the words given below if necessary.1. 2. 3.What are they doing?They are playing football/basketball/badminton.Which of the sports below do you like most? Why?I like playing football, because it’s more exciting.What is the most popular sport in your college?In our college, most of us play basketball, because it doesn’t need so many people or a special place for you to play it. Part ALead inTask 2 Listen to the following short dialogues and fill in the blanks. Dialogue 1 shooting A: Hey, nice ___________. watching B: Thanks. You were _________ the match just now? A: Yeah, I’m a big fan of yours. You played pretty cool. flattered B: Really? Thanks. I’m _________. But do I know you? A: I don’t think so. But you are Bruce, chairman of the college basketball club ______________________, right? B: You got it. And you are? A: Peter Smith, a freshman. Just call me Peter. I’m thinking of joining _________ your club. B: Great, Peter. Welcome. Part ALead inTask 2 Listen to the following short dialogues and fill in the blanks. Dialogue 2in A: (Knocking at the door) Is Sally ___?B: Yes. Come in, please.go swimming A: Hi, Sally, do you want to ______________ now? Danny is alsogoing.planned to B: I’ve ______________, but not now.A: Why? And when do you plan to go?4:30 B: I planned to do that at ______, and before that I’ve got to finish myhomework.leave A: Can’t you ________ it for tonight?B: No. I have other plans in the evening. Part ALead inTask 3 Discuss the following questions.1.Have you joined any college sport team? Why or why not?Cues: relax, make friends, enjoy teamwork2.What do you think are important to prevent the Freshman 15?Cues: eat right, take regular exercise Part ALead inTask 3 Discuss the following questions.1.Have you joined any college sport team? Why or why not?a. Yes. I’ve taken part in the basketball team, because it makes me feel relaxed after study and I can make new friends there. Plus, I really enjoy teamwork.b. No, I’m not into sports.2.What do you think are important to prevent the Freshman 15?To effectively prevent the Freshman 15, I think it’s important to eat right. I mean, we should eat more vegetables and fruits rather than high- besides, we should take part in regular exercises to keep fit. Part ATextWhy Play College Sport I am 5'9''. During my college orientation week, a serious looking woman went up to me, and without smiling, said, “You’re tall. I need you.” She handed me a flier, turned and walked away. Confused, I skimmed the flier and realized it was for crew try-outs. Growing up in Nebraska, a land-locked state, I was slightly puzzled. But I thought, why not. So I joined the team, and I immediately became fond of the sport and my team. Part ATextEarlier this week, I got together with my old crew team during spring break training, but this time as a supportivemember. Over lunch, I asked the team how college sportsadded to their overall college experience. Here’s what they said: Part ATextYou hear about the Freshman 15 and you’re probably already worrying about it. Taking part in college sports can be the effective way to prevent the infamous Freshman 15. Sophomore Sarah remarked, “I was relatively concerned about the Freshman 15. It always sounded so difficult and needed a lot of physical effort. But once I joined the crew team, the term the Freshman 15 never crossed my mind again.” You are exercising on a regular basis, plus you must eat right and get regular sleep to keep up with your training, which all together, are important things to prevent the Freshman 15. Part ATextSenior basketball player Amanda said, “With college sports, you have three schedules that rule your time: academic, athletic, and social.” I will not lie to you, being on a college team is time consuming and at times stressful. You arebalancing several schedules. But by having pre-determinedplans, you seldom delay doing something that you ought to do, merely because you do not have extra time. Part ATextCollege is all about making friends and meeting interesting people. Upon joining a college athletic team, you areimmediately welcomed into a circle of friends. Cleo, 21, acollege junior, explained, “I cannot imagine college without my team. They challenge me on a daily basis, and they push me to be my best on and off the water.” Having a built-in support and motivational system is also a definite plus of being a teammember. Part ATextAside from a diploma, the one thing of value that I walked away from college with was the experience. As you will find out, college is all about new experiences. Cleo said it best with, “Why not join a sport team. What’s the downside?”So, are you ready to play a sport in college? (448 words) Part ATextTranslation为什么参加大学体育运动我身高5英尺9英寸。在大学迎新周,一个神情严肃 的女人向我走来,面无笑容地对我说: “你个子高,我需 要你加入。?然后发给我一张传单,转身走开了。带着 疑惑,我浏览了传单,意识到这是要选拔赛艇队员。我 是在一个内陆州内布拉斯加州长大的,因此有点拿不定 主意。但转念一想: 为什么不参加呢?于是我加入了赛 艇队,并且很快就喜欢上了这项运动和我的团队。 Part ATextTranslation本周早些时候,我与春假期间训练的老队员聚在一起,但这次我只是个配角。午饭时,我问及体育在他们整个大学生涯中的意义,他们的回答如下: Part ATextTranslation你听说过?新生15磅?吧,也许你已经为此担忧了。参加大学体育运动能够有效地防止这个臭名昭著的?新生15磅?。大二学生莎拉说: “我比较担心‘新生15磅’ 这个问题,听着就好像很难避免,而且还需要很多体能 付出。可是加入赛艇队后,‘新生15磅’就再也没有出 现在我的脑海里了。? 定期运动、适当饮食、正常睡眠以保持充足的精力去训练,这些都是防止新生15磅问题的重要因素。 Part ATextTranslation大四的篮球运动员阿曼达说: “参加体育运动后,你的时间就被三件事给占据了: 学习、运动、社交。? 我 不会骗你的,加入大学体育队会耗时而且有时会带来压 力,因为你要协调几件不同的事情。但是如果预先制订 好计划,就很少会耽误本该做的事情,因为你根本没有其他多余的时间。 Part ATextTranslation在大学,我们结交朋友、认识有趣的人。加入运动队后,马上就进入了一个朋友圈。21岁的大三学生克利 奥说: “我无法想象没有我的团队我的大学生活会是怎样。 队友们每天都给我挑战,使我不论在队内还是队外都达 到最佳水平。因此,团队内部的支持和激励机制也是加入运动队的一大好处。 Part ATextTranslation除了文凭,离校之后对我们仍有价值的东西还有经验。你会发现,在大学你可以尝试各种新的经历。克利 奥说得好: “干嘛不参加体育队呢?又没什么坏处!? 所以,你是否已准备好去参加一支运动队呢? Part ATextLanguage Pointsfliern. a small sheet of paper that advertises a product or an event and is given to a large number of people a flier to recruit potentiale.g. They are designing volunteers.他们正设计一份宣传单来招募潜在的志愿者。 When you use a flier, you will receive a better guarantee. 当你使用传单可以获得更好的保证。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsconfused a. unable to think clearly or to understand what is happening or what somebody is sayinge.g. I’m confused ― say all that again.我被搞糊涂了,把那件事从头到尾再说一遍吧。People are confused about all the different labels on food these days.人们如今被那些五花八门的食物标签搞得稀里糊涂。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsskim v. to read quickly to get the main idease.g. I’ve skimmed the report but I haven’t had time to look at it in detail. 我已浏览了这份报告,但还没有时间细读。 I always skim the financial section of the newspaper. 我总是要浏览一下报纸上的金融版。 Part ATextLanguage Pointscrew n. a team of people who row boats in racese.g. The winning crew rapidly forged ahead. 领先的赛艇队员拼命往前划。 He is a member of the Oxford crew.他是牛津大学赛艇队的队员。 Part ATextLanguage Pointstry-out n. a competition or series tests to find the best players for a sports team or an important evente.g. Ade did his best in the try-outs, but he failed to make the team. 艾德在选拔时全力以赴, 但未被选上。His brother‘s example inspired him to take the football team try-outs.他哥哥的榜样激励他去接受足球队的选拔测试。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsland-locked a. almost or completely surrounded by lande.g. Switzerland is a land-locked country, with no port for sea trade. 瑞士是内陆国家,没有海上贸易港口。 A land-locked country is a country entirely enclosed by land. 内陆国家是一个完全被陆地包围的国家。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsspring breakIn the United States, the timing of spring break in tertiary institutions may range from the beginning of March to the later part of April, but many schools are in recess for at least one of the weeks in March. Some schools call this “March break” if it occurs in a middle week in March. Other schools call it“ spring recess”, or“ spring recession”. Often, universities schedule spring break such that Saint Patrick’s Day falls during the week in order to lessen the amount of partying and drinking on their campuses. In New York andConnecticut, most students have spring break in April. Part ATextLanguage Pointssupportivea. giving help, encouragement to somebodye.g. Mary was so supportive during my father’s illness. 在我父亲生病期间,玛丽给了很多帮助。 He just played a supportive role in the movie.他在那部电影中只担任了配角。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsfreshmann. a student who is in his or her first year at a university or collegee.g. I sat in my car to read a letter from my eldest daughter Linda, a college freshman.我坐在车里看大女儿琳达寄来的信,她是大一的学生。John and Mary met in their freshman year at college and married soon after their graduation. 约翰和玛丽在大一认识,并在毕业后很快结婚了。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsinfamous a. well known for being bad or evile.g. That infamous criminal was finally sentenced to death.那个臭名昭著的罪犯终于被判处死刑。Tom is infamous for his practical jokes.汤姆因其恶作剧而声名狼藉。 Part ATextLanguage Pointssophomore n. a student in the second year of a course of study at a university or collegee.g. When my son was a sophomore, he got a part-time job at a supermarket.我儿子大学二年级时,在一家超级市场找到了一份兼职。When she was a sophomore, she took a course in history.当她还是大学二年级的学生的时候,她选学了一门历史课。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsrelativelyad. e.g. to a fairly large degree, especially in comparison to others The final exam was relatively easy. 这次期末考试比较容易。 Relatively speaking, these jobs provide good salaries. 相对来说,这些工作报酬都不低。 Part ATextLanguage Pointscross one’s mind to come into one’s thoughts e.g. It didn’t even cross my mind that he would be upset. 我甚至没想到他会难过。 It never crossed my mind that she might lose.我从来没想过她会失败。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsbasisn. the way things are organized or arrangede.g. The freshman works for us on a part-time basis. 那个大一新生以兼职形式为我们工作。 Rates of work are calculated on a weekly basis.工资是以周为计算基准的. Part ATextLanguage Pointsschedule n. a planned list or order of things to be done, dealt with, etc.e.g. What’s your schedule for tomorrow ? 你明天有什么安排? The library has been completed two weeks ahead of schedule.图书馆提前两星期落成。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsathletic a. physically active and stronge.g. This school has a long tradition of athletic excellence. 这所学校长久以来在运动方面一直很优秀。 He has been selected to lead the college athletic team in next year’s athletic meeting. 他被选中带领学校运动队参加明年的运动会。 Part ATextLanguage PointsCollege is all about making friends and meeting interesting peopleMaking friends and meeting interesting people are very important in college life. Part ATextLanguage Pointscircle n. a group of people who are connected because they have the same interests, jobs, etc.e.g. He has only a narrow circle of friends.他交友不广。She moves in different circles from me. 她的活动圈子与我的有所不同。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsjunior n. a student of the third year in a four-year course at a universitye.g. I took part in Qi Gong training class when I was a college junior. 我在大三时曾参加过气功训练班。 You see, I am a sophomore and Miss Zhang is a junior.你瞧,我是2年级的,杨小姐是三年级的。 Part ATextLanguage Points... on and off the waterCleo could be a member on a rowing team. Part ATextLanguage Pointsbuilt-in a. existing as a natural or characteristic part of somethinge.g. It was a built-in disadvantage of the system. 那是体制本身固有的不利条件。 Your English teacher has a built-in sense of humor. 你们的英语老师有着天生的幽默感。 Part ATextLanguage PointsHaving a built-in support and motivational system is also a definite plus of being a team member Another definite advantage of being a team member is that you can have a team of people there to support and motivate you. Part ATextLanguage Pointsplus n. a welcome or advantagee.g. Knowledge of French or Spanish could be a plus in this job.懂法语或西班牙语是做这份工作的有利条件。 Two years’ experience in nursing field is a plus. 有两年护理工作经验的优先。 Part ATextLanguage Pointsaside from except fore.g. Everything was quiet, aside from the occasional sound of a car in the distance.除了远处偶尔有汽车的声响外,四周一片寂静。 Aside from the Joneses, I didn’t know anybody in this village. 除了琼斯一家外,这村子里我谁也不认识。 Part ATextLanguage Points... the one thing of value that I walked away from college with was the experienceThe other thing from college that is valuable was the experience. Part ATextLanguage Pointsdownside n. the disadvantages or less positive aspects of somethinge.g. He could not find a downside to going on the trip. 他找不到这趟旅行的不足之处。 Beijing also has its downsides such as poor air quality and heavy traffic throughout the whole city. 北京也有它的不好之处,譬如说空气污染及严重的交通堵塞。 Part AExercisesTask 1 Task 5 Task 2 Task 6 Task 3 Task 7 Task 4 Part AExercisesTask 1 Read the text again and answer the following questions. 1. Why did the serious-looking woman go up to the author?She went up to the author and gave her a flier, wanting her to join a college sport team.2. Why does the author mention “Freshman 15”?The author mentioned Freshman 15 to illustrate that college sports can help control weight.3. According to the author, how can college sports prevent the infamous Freshman 15?Students exercise regularly, eat right and get regular sleep so as to keep up with their training. Part AExercisesTask 1 Read the text again and answer the following questions.4. Why do team members seldom delay doing things that ought to be done?Because they have pre-determined plans and have no extra time to do the otherwise delayed work.5. According to Cleo, what are the pluses of being a sport team member?The team has a motivational system and gives support and challenge to the team members, pushing them to be the best of themselves. Part AExercisesTask 2 Identify the key words or main ideas of the following paragraphsthe effect of college weight Paragraph 3: ________ controltheParagraph 4:sportsoneffectofcollegesportson_______ timecontroljoining a college sport team for new friends Paragraph 5: _________ joining a college sport team for new experiences Paragraph 6: _____________ Part AExercisesTask 3 Fill in the puzzle spaces with the words from Text A according to the explanations given below.Across 2. a group of people who are connected because they have the same interests, jobs, etc. 6. a student who is in his or her first year at a university or college 7. to read quickly to get the main ideas 9. physically active and strong 10. a small sheet of paper that advertises a product or an event and is given to a large number of people Down 1. a welcome or advantage 3. well known for being bad or evil 4. unable to think clearly or to understand what is happening or what somebody is saying 5. the disadvantages or less positive aspects of something 8. a planned list or order of things to be done, dealt with, etc.1. 3. 5. 7. 9.plus infamous downside skim athletic2. circle 4. confused 6. freshman 8. schedule 10. flier Part AExercisesTask 4 Complete the following sentences with the words from Task 3. Change the word forms if necessary. 1. Your changes of plan have made me totally ___________. confusedfreshman 2. Xiao Ming is now a college ___________ majoring in BusinessEnglish.3. Everything is going well according to the ___________. schedule4. His father is well known in the business ___________. circleskim 5. We are asked to ___________ through the report in half an hour. Part AExercisesTask 4 Complete the following sentences with the words from Task 3. Change the word forms if necessary.infamous 6. He is ___________ for his craziness and cruelty.plus 7. Her knowledge of English is obviously a ________ in her job.Athletic 8. ___________ people are usually very popular at college.9. The ________ says, “buy one, get one free”. flier 10. This is an option with benefits as well as ___________. downsides Part AExercisesTask 5 Complete the sentences using derivatives (派生词) of the words in the box. Change the word forms if necessary.relative 1. The words “right” and “left” are ____________ because their meanings depend on which way a person looks at something. support 2. If you raise the problem at the meeting, I will ____________ you. motivation 3. The stronger the ____________, the more quickly a person will learn a foreign language. confusing 4. The instructions were very ____________ and I couldn’t understand them. prevention 5. I am greatly convinced that ____________ is better than cure. Part AExercisesTask 6 Rewrite the following sentences after the models.1.As he thought that he might be late, he sped up. Thinking that he might be late, he sped up.2.As she fears that she might be punished by her teacher, she dare not go to school. Fearing that she might be punished by her teacher, she dare not go to school3.As she is busy with the final exam, she won’t come.Being busy with the final exam, she won’t come. Part AExercisesTask 6 Rewrite the following sentences after the models.1. He switched on his computer as soon as he entered his room. Upon entering his room, he switched on his computer. 2. When he finished his homework, he went out with his classmate immediately.Upon finishing his homework, he went out with his classmate immediately. 3. As soon as my mother arrived home, she started cooking. Upon arriving home, my mother started cooking. Part AExercisesTask 7 Translate the following sentences into English, paying attention to the highlighted parts.1. 我突然想起作业没做完。 (cross one’s mind) 2. 除了一个哥哥外,我还有一个三 岁大的妹妹。(aside from) 3. 这个诗人在文学圈内臭名昭著。 (infamous) 1. It crossed my mind that I didn’t finish my homework. 2. Aside from my elder brother, I have a three-year-old sister. 3. This poet is infamous in the literary circle. 4. Her knowledge of computer is a plus in her job.4. 她会计算机,这对她的工作有好 处。(plus)5. 我花了一个小时把这本书浏览了 一遍。(skim)5. It took me an hour to skim the book. Part BLead inTask 1Task 2 Part BLead inTask 1 Listen to the recording, and complete the following passage.understand It’s easy to (1)___________ that I play soccer because it provides (2)___________ me with a release from the pressure of school and amazing life. But there’s a lot more. My teammates are (3)___________ . look forward They are the reason I (4)___________ to a new season when I’m coaches running all summer. I get along with and like my (5)___________,most of the time. My parents are my biggest (6)___________ support system, coming to as many games as possible, hosting team dinners, and being there for me after a rough day. …… Part BLead inTask 1 Listen to the recording, and complete the following passage. …… All these people (7)___________ to why I play, but I have to contributeremember why I (8)___________ playing in the first place. I play startedfell because when I was 5 I (9)_______ in love with the game and hadfun when I was doing it. Soccer is a game meant to beenjoyed (10)___________. We play for ourselves and each other. Part BLead inTask 2 Discuss the following questions with your partner about sports.1.What’s your favorite sport? Why do you like it?Cues: a break from studying, provide opportunities to meet new people, exciting and fun2.Who is your favorite sport player? Why do you like him or her?Cues: energetic, active, strong determination, complete self-confidence Part BLead inTask 2 Discuss the following questions with your partner about sports.1. What’s your favorite sport? Why do you like it?a. My favorite sport is basketball. More than a break from studying, basketball provides excellent opportunities to meet new people.b. My favorite sport is football. It is exciting and has great fun.2.Who is your favorite sport player? Why do you like him or her?a. My favorite sport player is Yao Ming. He is very tall and he plays well. He has done a good job in NBA. b. My favorite sport player is Liu Xiang. He is energetic and active. He always has strong determination and complete self-confidence. Part BTextOne Month Challenge: Fun with Fitness I am quite possibly the least athletic person you will ever meet. When I was 12, my mother asked me not to run in public. “It’s embarrassing,” she said. “There’s something about the way you run that’s just ... strange.” Part BTextOnce I started college, my friends quickly found my problem: I run like a dinosaur. Here’s why: When I was 4, I started taking Irish dancing lessons. Yes, like Riverdance. And in Irish dancing, you’re not allowed to move your arms ― they have to stay straight at your sides. So when it came time to run, I didn’t know what to do with my arms. With no better ideas, I just pulled them up and “took flight.” Part BTextI’ve been accused of being lazy, of not really trying, ofnot being committed enough to get in shape. But I knowthat’s not it. In elementary school, when the rest of the class couldn’t play on the playground until the last person finished running the mile, I remember trying very hard to finish so that my classmates wouldn’t hate me. Part BTextA few months ago, I made a promise to myself to change all this. But just like every time before, it didn’t last. I went toone Pilates class on campus. So, as a challenge to myself, I’mgoing to use the next four weeks to show you and myself that I CAN do this ― that I CAN find a fitness plan that works for me, that I enjoy, and that I can stick to in the future. Part BTextAlong the way, I’ll be looking for fun ways to get fit forthose of us who aren’t so athletically inclined. And while I’m sure I’ll find plenty of awkward, clumsy moments along the way, I’ll keep trying new things until I find something that might help us all. (308 words) Part BTextTranslation一个月的挑战: 快乐运动我很可能是你见过的最不喜欢运动的人。12岁时,妈妈叫我不要当众跑步。?这真令人难堪,?她说,?你跑步的姿势有点问题……奇怪。? Part BTextTranslation一进入大学,朋友们很快发现了我的问题: 我跑起来像只恐龙。这是因为: 我4岁便开始学习爱尔兰踢踏舞,如《大河之舞》。跳爱尔兰踢踏舞时,手臂必须一动不动――定要直直地放在身体两侧。因此一到了跑步的时候,我 就不知道该把手臂往哪放了。由于没有更好的办法,我 只好把双臂抬起来,然后?起飞?。 Part BTextTranslation别人总责怪我太懒,说我从未真正尝试或全心全意地参加过体育运动。其实事实不是这样的。我清楚地记得,小学时每当老师规定直到班里的最后一名同学跑完 一英里,其他人才能在操场玩时,我是如何拼尽全力跑 完全程的,否则全班同学都会恨我。 Part BTextTranslation几个月前,我向自己保证一定要改变这一切。但就 像以往的每次尝试一样,我没能坚持。我参加了大学的 一个普拉提班。作为对自己的挑战,我要在接下来的一 个月里向你和自己证明我能做到――我能找到一项适合自己的健身运动,喜欢上它,并且持之以恒。 Part BTextTranslation我以后将继续寻找适合我们这些不愿运动的人的、 有趣的健身方法。虽然很多时候肯定会觉得笨拙、别扭,但我将不断探索、尝试,直到找到对我们大家都有帮助的方法。 Part BTextLanguage pointsin public when other people, especially people you do not know, are presente.g. She doesn’t like to be seen in public without her makeup on.她不愿意未化妆就公开露面。 He never drinks in public. 他从不在公开场合喝酒。 Part BTextLanguage pointsembarrassing a. making you feel shy, awkward or ashamede.g. It can be embarrassing for children to tell complete strangers about such incidents. 让孩子们向素不相识的人讲述这样的事情会让他们为难。 This is an embarrassing situation. 这是令人尴尬的处境。 Part BTextLanguage pointsRiverdance Riverdance is a theatrical show consisting of traditional Irish stepdancing, notable for its rapid leg movements while body and arms are kept largely stationary. It originated as an interval performance during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest, a moment that is still considered a significant watershed in Irish culture. Part BTextLanguage pointsSo when it came time to run ...So when it was time to run ... Part BTextLanguage pointsaccuse sb. (of sth.) to say that sb. has done sth. Wrong or is guilty of sth. e.g. The government was accused of incompetence. 政府被指责无能。 She accused him of lying. 她指责他说谎。 Part BTextLanguage pointscommitteda. willing to work hard and give your time and energy to sth.e.g. He is a committed number of the team.他是位忠于职守的队员。My father is committed to his research.我父亲正潜心于科学研究。 Part BTextLanguage pointsget in shape to take exercise, eat healthy food, etc. in order to become physically fit e.g. I really need to get in shape again. 我真需要恢复原来的健康状态。This book tells people how to get in shape.这本书教人们如何强身健体。 Part BTextLanguage pointsPilates Pilates is a physical fitness system developed in the early20th century by Joseph Pilates in Germany, the UK andthe USA. As of 2005, there were 11 million people who practiced the discipline regularly and 14,000 instructors in the United States. The Pilates method seeks to develop controlled movement from a strong core and it does this using a range of apparatuses to guide and train the body. Part BTextLanguage pointsstick toto continue doing sth. in spite of difficultiese.g. In spite of all the difficulties, the boy stuck to practicing the piano.不管遇到什么困难,这个男孩坚持练钢琴。He promised to help us and he stuck to his word.他答应过帮助我们,他没有失信。 Part BTextLanguage points... who aren’t so athletically inclined.... who are so unwilling to do exercises. Part BTextLanguage pointsinclined a. wanting to do sth., or tending to do sth.e.g. He writes only when he feels inclined to.他只在想写作的时候才动笔。 She was inclined to trust him. 她愿意相信他。 Part BTextLanguage pointsawkward a. making you feel embarrassede.g. He tried to dance, but he was clumsy and awkward.他试着跳舞,但是跳得太笨拙、太别扭。There was an awkward silence.一阵令人尴尬的沉默。 Part BTextLanguage pointsclumsy a. moving or doing things in a very awkward waye.g. His clumsy fingers couldn’t untie the knot.他的手很笨拙,无法解开这个结。I spilt your coffee. Sorry, that was clumsy of me.我弄洒了你的咖啡。对不起,我真是笨手笨脚的。 Part BExercisesTask 1Task 2 Part BExercisesTask 1 Choose the best answer for each question according to Text B. 1. When the author was 12, his mother asked him not to run in public because ______? A. he was too weak B. he was the least athletic personC. he was like a dinosaurD. the way he ran was strange and embarrassing Part BExercisesTask 1 Choose the best answer for each question according to Text B. 2. When did the author start taking Irish dancing lessons?A. At the age of 12.B. At the age of 4. C. At college. D. A few months ago. Part BExercisesTask 1 Choose the best answer for each question according to Text B. 3. What is Riverdance?A. It is like a dinosaur.B. It is the name of a Pilates class. C. It is a kind of Irish dancing. D. It is a kind of leisure sport. Part BExercisesTask 2 Decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F) according to Text B. 1. The author is possibly the most athletic person you have ever met. ( )2. When the author was young, his mother encouraged him to run asfast as possible. ( )3. In Irish step dancing, you should always keep your arms straight at your sides. ( ) )4. The author has never been committed enough to get in shape.( 5. It is difficult for the author to stick to a fitness plan.( ) Part CPhoneticsCentering DiphthongsCentering Diphthongs Task 1 Task 2Task 3 Part CPhoneticsCentering DiphthongsCentering Diphthongs集中双元音(centering diphthongs)包括[i?], [e?]和[u?]。 [i?]发音时舌身从前元音[i]的近似位置向[?]的方向滑动,在整个 滑动过程中,唇位是中性形,只是稍稍从中性唇位向较开的唇位移 动; [e?]发音时舌头从前元音[e]的位置开始移向[?] ,在整个发音过 程中,唇位始终呈中性形; [u?]发音时舌头从[u]的位置开始朝[?]的方向滑移,在发音过程 中,唇位由稍圆逐渐变为中性。 Part CPhoneticsCentering DiphthongsTask 1 Listen and circle the word you hear.1. 2. 3. 4. 5.A. beer A. stare A. tea A. put A. ariseB. bar B. spark B. tour B. part B. awaitC. base C. smart C. tale C. poem C. airD. bath D. sell D. tube D. poor D. about Part CPhoneticsCentering DiphthongsTask 2 Listen and practice the sentences you hear.1. The car came nearer and nearer. 2. They saw the mountains very clearly. 3. Her hair was a funny color and everybody stared at it. 4. There were tears in his eyes when he saw the broken chair. 5. Are you sure the milk is pure? Part CPhoneticsCentering DiphthongsTask 3 Read, listen and improve.Note: 绕口令(tongue twister)是一种语言游戏。学说英语绕口令,可使人口齿伶俐,并了解英语语言的特点。绕口令由几代人创作、提炼、升华而成, 可以说是群众集体智慧的结晶。Tongue Twisters I cannot bear to see a bear bearing down upon a hare. When bare of hair he strips the hare. Right there I cry, “Forbear!” Once upon a barren moor there dwelt a bear, also a boar. The bear could not bear the boar. The boar thought the bear a bore. At last the bear could bear no more of that boar that bored him on the moor, and so one morn he bored the boar ― that boar will bore the bear no more. Part CGrammar代词代词Task 1Task 2 Part CGrammar代词代词( 一) 简单句中的代词 一、代词基本分类代词是指代名词或名词词组的词。 人称代词: I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they, me, him, her, us, them 相互代词: one another, each other 关系代词: who, whom, whose, that, which 物主代词: my, your, his, her, its, our, your, their, mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, yours, Theirs 自身代词: myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, themselves指示代词: this, that,these, 疑问代词: who, whom, those whose, what, which 连接代词: 疑问代词皆可充 当 不定代词: all, each, every, both, either, neither, one, none, little, few, many, much, other, another, some, any 等 Part CGrammar代词代词( 一) 简单句中的代词 二、 代词常见误用Various animals have shells that keep themselves from growing beyond a certain size. (themselves 应改为 them) The teacher him told me the story. (him 应改为himself) He and you are both my good friends. (He and you 应改为You and he) This yo-yo ball is on sale everywhere. You can get it at some toy store. (some 应改为any) We had a party last week, and it was wonderful, so let’s have the other one next week. (the other 应改为another)反身代词在句中作表语或宾语时指代的是 该句的主语。 反身代词可以作主语、宾语的同位语,人 称代词则不能。两个以上的人称代词并列或与指人的名词并列 时,you 放在第一位,I 放在最后 any 用于否定句、疑问句中表示“一些”,但 是也可用于肯定句中,表示“任何一个”。 the other 表示两者之中的另外一个;another 表示“再”、“又”,也可表示三者以上的另 一个。 Part CGrammar代词代词( 一) 简单句中的代词 二、 代词常见误用My father has two cameras but none of them works properly. (none 应改为neither) Everyone of us was moved to tears by the movies. (Everyone 应改为Every one) Fruit juice is so watered down that you can hardly taste something. (something 应改为anything) We do our work, and they do their. (their 应改为theirs) none 表示三者或以上的完全否定,表示“任 何一个( 人)都不”,而neither 表示“两者之中 任何一个( 人) 都不”。 everyone 表示“ 每个人”,不能接of, every one 表示“任何人( 物/ 事)”,可以接of。 some 或something 一般用于肯定或陈述句, any 或anything 用于疑问句或否定句。 名词性物主代词可以作宾语,形容词性物主代 词不可以。In this school, if a student fails the 泛指一般人,不必指性别,则用he ;she 则可 exam, she cannot take a make-up exam. 以用来表示国家、车、船、飞机、大地、大自 (she 应改为 he) 然、月亮等无生命的东西,以表达情感。 Part CGrammar代词代词( 一) 简单句中的代词 二、 代词常见误用A lot of students have applied for that job, but a few have succeeded. (a few 应改为few) Alone in the school, she was so busy with her graduation paper that she felt nothing but loneliness. (nothing but 应改为anything but) a few 表示“少数,几个”,是肯定的意义; few 表示“几乎没有”,接近否定意义。little 与 a little 之间的区别与此类似。 nothing but 表示“只有”,anything but 表 示“绝不,根本不”。 Part CGrammar代词Task 1 Choose the right answer from the two choices marked A, B, C and D.1. ―“How much money is left?” ―“ ___________ .” A. None B. Not some C. Nothing D. No one ____________ the teachers agreed with the teaching reform plan. A. Nobody of B. No one of C. None of D. Neither The red pen is __________; the black pen is ___________. A. my, our B. mine, you C. mine, yours D. my, yours Today’s college students differ greatly from ___________. A. the past B. that of the past C. those of the past D. these of the past Although Professor Smith had several research assistants, most of the research was done by ___________ alone. A. he B. him C. his D. himself2. 3. 4.5. Part CGrammar代词Task 1 Choose the right answer from the two choices marked A, B, C and D.6. ___________ graduated from the same university. A. My cousin and I C. My cousin and me A. one B. ones C. shoe B. I and my cousin D. Me and my cousin D. shoes B. at its highest point D. its highest point7. This pair of shoes is too small. Please get some larger ___________. 8. The friendship between Kevin and Mark reached ___________. A. their highest point C. at their highest point9. Catherin’s work experience abroad enables ___________ to succeed in the job interview of this company. A. herself A. a lot of B. her B. many C. hers C. much D. its D. many more 10. Beijing is a wonderful place and there is ___________ to see and feel. Part CGrammar代词Task 2 Each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. Identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct and try to correct it. 1. The temperature of the mountain area is lower than the plains. A B C Dthat of the plains2. I don’t think we’ve studied in the same middle school before. You are A B confusing me with anyone else. C D someone elseall their names3. When the guests went into the hall, he wrote down their all names. A B C D Part CGrammar代词Task 2 Each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. Identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct and try to correct it. 4. Each male student and female student must show their ID card before A B C D his entering the test room.5. The purchasing manager refused to accept either of the five proposals A B C any made by the suppliers. D Part CFunctions and NotionsInvitationsTask 1Task 2 Part CFunctions and NotionsInvitationsThe following are some common expressions for invitations.Informal occasions Can you come over and join us? Do join me for a ... How about (going to the movie) with me? Why don’t you come (on a holiday) with us?Formal occasions We would like to invite/have you over for ... If you could manage, we would like you to ... We should be so pleased if you could come. Perhaps you’d care to ... Part CFunctions and NotionsTask 1 Listen to the recordings and fill in the blanks with what you hear.Dialogue 1are you going to do anything A: Kelly, _____________________________ tomorrow afternoon?B: Why? What did you ______________? have in mindA: We are having a farewell party for Eric.B: What time? A: We’re starting at 2: 00 and will go on ______________ the afternoon. for the rest ofI’d like to go B: _______________, but my schedule is really full tomorrow.A: _______________ stop by for a while? It would be nice to have you Why don’t you there.I’ll try to make it B: _______________. I should be able to fit some time in around 4 o’clock. Part CFunctions and NotionsTask 1 Listen to the recordings and fill in the blanks with what you hear. Dialogue 2 M: Hello? W: Oh, hello, John. How are you? M: Just fine, thanks, Doris. wondering W: Say, Tom and I were ____________ if you and Jane are free this Saturday. M: Saturday? Mm ... it seems Jane mentioned something about visiting have in mind her mother that afternoon. Why, what did you ______________? We just thought W: Oh, ________________ it would be nice to have you over for dinner ________________________, but if you are not free ... M: Well, let me check again with Jane. I’ll call you tonight and let you for sure know ____________. OK? W: Great. Part CFunctions and NotionsTask 2 Make a conversation according to the following situation, using expressions for invitations.The class will have a barbecue this Saturday afternoon. Invite Scott to join. But Scott will have a date with his girlfriend. Invite his girlfriend to come together.A sample has been given for your reference. Part CFunctions and NotionsTask 2 Make a conversation according to the following situation, using expressions for invitations. Sample: A: Look, Scott, we are going to have a barbecue this Saturday afternoon. We’d be very glad if you could come. B: Well, that’s very kind of you, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it that day. A: Why? What have you planned to do? B: I will go see a movie with my girlfriend. A: Why not take her along? B: OK, if you insist. When and where shall we meet then? A: I will call you Friday evening after I have arranged with Jane. B: OK. Thank you very much. Part CWritingExamplesBusiness Card Task 1 Task 2 Task 3 Part CWritingWriting for General Purposes: Developing Paragraphs by ExamplesBefore doing the exercise, read the guidelines to writing skills in the following box, as this may be of some help to you. Writing Strategy Examples are very effective means to explain things. Readers usually prefer writings with examples to those with only dry theories. A well-chosen example can make your writing vivid and persuasive. Here are some tips for choosing examples: Part CWritingWriting for General Purposes: Developing Paragraphs by ExamplesWriting StrategyChoose relevant and persuasive examples.The examples you choose should be closely related to and fully support your points as the example used in Text A to describe how sports can prevent Freshman 15. The personal experience of a sophomore who has successfully prevented Freshman 15 by joining the crew team can certainly convince readers to take part in college sports. Choose typical examples. Choose examples that are most likely to convince your readers. After reading what a junior said about joining athletic team to make friends, readers will have no doubt about playing sports in college. Part CWritingTask 1 Read Text A again and try to find examples to support the following points of view.1. Taking part in college sports can be an effective way to prevent the Freshman 15. Example:Sophomore Sarah was concerned about the Freshman 15 at first. But by joining the crew team, she has been exercising on a regular basis. In addition, she must eat right and get regular sleep to keep up with her training. All these things are important to prevent the Freshman 15. Part CWritingTask 1 Read Text A again and try to find examples to support the following points of view. 2. You can manage your time better by being on a college team. Example:According to senior Amanda, you will have three schedules to rule your time. Therefore, you seldom delay doing something by having pre-determined plans.3. Joining a college athletic team can help you make friends and meet interesting people. Example:Junior Cleo’s team members always challenge her and push her to be on her best. She cannot imagine college without them. Part CTask 2WritingText A centers on the importance of playing sports at college. Now write a paragraph introducing your favorite sport. Remember to use examples to support your points.Here is some information of some popular sports you may want to write about: Basketball: one of the most popular and widely viewed first invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith who wanted to keep his gym class a by the 1950s, it had become a major college sport ...Marathon: longest and the name comes from a village in G has been a race in the Olympic Games ... Part CWritingA sample has been written for your reference.Soccer is the world’s most popular sport. It is the national sport of most European and Latin-American countries, and of many other nations. Millions of people in more than 140 countries play soccer. Soccer’s most famous international competition, the World Cup, is held every four years. Soccer as it is played today developed in Britain during the 1800’s and quickly spread to many other countries. Until the mid-1900’s, the game was not greatly popular in the United States. But today, it is one of the nation’s fastest-growing sports. Part CWritingWriting for Specific Purposes: Business CardTask 3Please design a business card for your basketball team coach Professor Zhong. You should include the following information in the business card. A sample of business card has been written below for your reference. Please pay special attention to its format. Part CWritingA sample of Business Card Part CWritingSuggested AnswerBinhai Polytechnic Basketball Team Zhong Jianchao Professor No. 12 Binhai Road Binhai City, 510000 P. R. China 76 (office) 61 (home) FAX: 75 EMAIL: zhongjc@binhai.edu.cn TEL: Part CWorkshopKnowing About the Courses I BackgroundSports are part of many wonderful activities on college campus. Through joining various sports clubs, students can reduce the pressure from study and enjoy their campus life. In addition, doing exercises help build the spirit of teamwork. II Task Make a survey about sports in your college. Part CWorkshopIIIProcessStep 1: Study the following questionnaire. Step 2: Distribute the questionnaires among the students.Step 3: Collect and analyze the data, then draw a conclusion with the help of the following questions: 1. What is the most popular sport on campus? 2. What is the top reason for joining a sports club? Part CWorkshop

我要回帖

更多关于 sleepeat 的文章

随机推荐