求 the god of hissins of the fathermv 中文大概意思 以及意义

相关词典网站:美国故事The God of His Fathers
扫描二维码方便学习和分享
http://image.tingclass.net/statics/js/2012
The God of His Fathers
Announcer: Now, the Special English program, AMERICAN STORIES.
Our story this week is called &The God of His Fathers.&& It was written by Jack London in the year nineteen-oh-one. Here is Shep O'Neal with the story.
Storyteller:& Silently the wolves circled the herd of caribou deer. Gray bellies close to the ground, the wolves in the pack surrounded a pregnant deer. They pulled her down and tore out her throat. The rest of the caribou herd raced off in a hundred directions. The wolves began to feed.
Once again the Alaska territory was the scene of silent death. Here, in its ancient forests, the strong had killed the weak for thousands and thousands of years.
Small groups of Indians also lived in this land at the rainbow's end. But their Stone Age life was ending. Strange men with blond hair and blue eyes had discovered the lands of the North. The Indian chiefs ordered their warriors to fight them. Stone arrow met steel bullet. The Indians could not stop the strangers. The White men conquered the icy rivers in light canoes. They broke through the dark forests and climbed the rocky mountains.
One of these men sat in front of a tent, near a river. His name was Hay Stockard. Over the smoke and flames of his fire, he watched an Indian village not far from his own camp.
From inside his tent came the cry of a sick child, and the gentle answering song of its mother. But the man was not concerned now with them. He was thinking of Baptiste the Red, the chief of the Indian village, who had just left him.
&We do not want you here,& Baptiste had told him. &If we permit you to sit by our fires, after you will come your church, your priests and your God.&& Baptiste the Red hated the White man's God. His father had been an E his mother, the daughter of an Indian chief.& Baptiste had been raised among White men.
When Baptiste was a young man he fell in love with a Frenchman's daughter, but her father opposed the marriage. A Christian priest refused to marry them. So Baptiste took the girl into the forests. They went to live among his mother's people. A year later, the girl died while giving birth to her first child.
Baptiste took the baby back to live among the White people. For many years he lived in peace with them, as his daughter grew up -- tall and beautiful. One night, while Baptiste was away, a White man broke into their home and killed the girl. When Baptiste asked for justice, he was told the White man's God forgives all sins.& So Baptiste killed his daughter's murderer with his own hands, and returned forever to his mother's people.
&I have sworn to make any White man who comes to my village deny his God if he wants to live,& he told Hay Stockard. &But since you are the first, I will not do this if you go and go quickly.&
&And if I stay?& Hay Stockard had asked quietly as he filled his pipe. &Then soon you will meet your God, your bad God, the God of the White man!&& The Indian chief rose to his feet and left Hay Stockard's camp to return to his village.
The next morning Hay Stockard watched with angry eyes as three men in a long canoe came to the river bank. Two of the men were Indian. The third, a White man, wore a bright red cloth around his head. Hay Stockard reached for his gun, and then changed his mind. As soon as the canoe landed, the White man jumped out and ran up to Stockard.
&So we meet again, Hay Stockard!& Peace be with you. I know you are a sinner, but I, Sturges Owen, am God's own servant. I will bring you back to our church.
&Listen to me,& Stockard warned, &if you stay here you'll bring trouble to yourself and your men. You'll all be killed and so will my wife, my child, and myself!&
Owen looked up to the sky. &The man who carries God in his heart and the Bible in his hand is protected.&
Later that morning, the Indian chief Baptiste came back to Stockard's camp. &Give me the priest,& Baptiste demanded, &and I will let you go in peace. If you do not, you die.&
Sturges Owen grabbed his Bible. &I am not afraid,& he said. &God will protect me and hold me in his right hand. I am ready to go with Baptiste to his village. I will save his soul for God.&
Hay Stockard shook his head. &Listen to me, Baptiste. I did not bring this priest here, but now that he is here, I can't let you kill him. Many of your people will die if we fight each other.&
Baptiste looked into Stockard's eyes. &But those who live,& he said, &will not have the words of a strange God in their ears.&
After a moment of silence, Baptiste the Red turned and went back to his own camp. Sturges Owen called his two men to him and the three of them kneeled to pray. Stockard and his wife began to prepare the camp for battle.
As they worked they heard the sound of war-drums in the village.
As Sturges Owen waited and prayed, he began to feel his religious fever cooling. Fear replaced hope in his heart. The love of life took the place of the love of God in his mind. The love of life!& He could not stop himself from feeling it. Owen knew that Stockard also loved his life. But Stockard would choose death rather than shame.
The war-drums boomed loudly. Suddenly they stopped.
A flood of dark feet raced toward Stockard's camp. Arrows whistled through the air. A spear went through the body of Stockard's wife. Stockard's bullets answered back. Wave after wave of Indians warriors broke over the barrier. Sturges Owen ran into his tent. His two men died quickly. Hay Stockard alone remained on his feet, knocking the attacking Indians aside.
Stockard held an ax in one hand and his gun in the other. Behind him, a hand grabbed Stockard's baby by its tiny leg and pulled it from under his mother's body. The Indian whipped the child through the air, smashing its head against a log.& Stockard turned, and cut off the Indian's head with his ax.
The circle of angry faces closed on Stockard. Two times they pushed up to him, but each time he beat them back. They fell under his feet as the ground became wet with blood. Finally, Baptiste called his men to him.
&Stockard,& he shouted. &You are a brave man. Deny your God and I will let you live!&
Two Indians dragged Sturges Owen out of the tent. He was not hurt, but his eyes were wild with fear.
He felt anger at God for making him so weak. Why had God given him faith without strength?
Owen stood shaking before Baptiste the Red. &Where is your God now? & demanded the Indian chief.
&I do not know,& Owen whispered.
&Do you have a God?&
&And now?&
&Very good,& Baptiste said. &See that this man goes free. Let nothing happen to him. And send him back to his own people so he can tell his priests about Baptiste the Red's land where there is no God.&
Baptiste turned to Hay Stockard. &There is no God,& Baptiste said.& Stockard laughed. One of the young Indian warriors lifted the war spear.
&Do you have a God?& Baptiste shouted.
Stockard took a deep breath. &Yes, he said, &the God of my fathers.&
The spear flew through the air and went deep into Stockard's chest.& Sturges Owen saw Stockard fall slowly to the ground. Then the Indians put Owen in a canoe.& Sturges Owen went down the river to carry the message of Baptiste the Red, in whose country there was no God.
Announcer: You have just heard the story, &The God of His Fathers.&& It was written by Jack London and adapted for Special English by Dona de Sanctis. Your narrator was Shep O'Neal.
I'm Susan Clark. Listen again next week for another AMERICAN STORY in Special English on the Voice of America.
内容来自 听力课堂网:用手机学英语,请加听力课堂微信公众号:tingclass123
[报错与提意见]
订阅每日学英语:& “根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 ...”习题详情
234位同学学习过此题,做题成功率74.7%
根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. The couple worked and saved, making p_【小题1】_for their nine children and themselves to travel to the USA. It had taken years before they saved enough money and got everything r【小题2】 for the trip.
The whole family was excited about their new life. However, seven days b【小题3】&&they left for the USA, the youngest son was bitten(咬)by a dog. The doctor treated the boy, b【小题4】 &because there was a possibility of rabies(狂犬病), they would be kept away from others for fourteen days.
The family’s dream could not come t【小题5】&. They would not be able to make the trip to America as they had planned. Watching the ship leave---without the Clark family, the father was quite a【小题6】 &with both his son and God for their bad luck.
Five days later, a piece of sad news s【小题7】_ throughout Scotland---the strong and powerful ship, Titanic, had gone down, taking h【小题8】 of lives with it. The Clark family was to have been on that ship, but because the son was bitten by a dog, they were left b【小题9】in Scotland.
When Mr. Clark heard the news, he thanked his son for saving the family. He thanked the God for t【小题10】&a sad thing into a good one. Although we may not always understand, all things happen for a reason.
本题难度:较难
题型:填空题&|&来源:2014-江苏盐城东台许河镇中学九年级下学期第一次调研测试英语试卷
分析与解答
习题“根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. The couple worked and saved, mak...”的分析与解答如下所示:
克拉克夫妇一直以来有个梦想,就是带着九个孩子前往美国旅行。经过几年的奋斗,他们终于有了足够的钱,并为之做好一切准备。然而,出发的前7天,小儿子被够咬了,生命危急,一家人不得不取消旅行。克拉克先生悲愤至极。5天后,他们获悉,他们预备乘坐的轮船在途中遇险,几百条人命丧生大海。克拉克先生感激涕零。这正是“祸兮福之所倚,福兮祸之所伏”。【小题1】句意为:夫妻两人省吃俭用、不辞劳苦,让九个孩子和他们自己也可能到美国。Possible形容词“可能的”,在句中做宾语补足语。【小题2】句意为:他们花费了好几年攒够钱,为这次旅行做好准备。Get ready for固定短语,意思是“为……走好准备”。【小题3】句意为:然而,启程的7天前,最小的儿子被狗咬了。根据下文的内容可知他们没能开始这次旅行,所以是出发前。【小题4】句意为:医生医治了那个男孩,但由于可能是狂犬病,他们被隔离14天。两个分句之间是转折关系,所以填连词but。【小题5】句意为:这家人的梦想没有成真。Come true 是固定短语,意思是“实现,成真”。 【小题6】句意为:看着没有克拉克家人的轮船离开,克拉拉为他们的厄运相当生孩子和上帝的气。Get angry with是固定短语,意思是“生某人的气”。【小题7】句意为:5天后,一则坏消息传遍苏格兰。Spread是动词,意思是“传播”。【小题8】句意为:泰坦尼克号带着几百条人命沉没了。Hundreds of意思是“数以百计,好几百”。【小题9】句意为:克拉克一家本应该在那条船上,但由于儿子被狗咬了,他们被留在了苏格兰。Leave sb behind是固定短语,意思是“留下,忘带”。【小题10】句意为:他感谢上帝将坏事变成了好事。Turn into固定短语,意思是“将……变成……”。
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. The couple worked and saved...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
“根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 ...”的最新评论
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. The couple worked and saved, making p_【小题1】_for their nine children and themselves to travel to the USA. It had taken years before they saved enough money and got everything r【小题2】 for the trip.
The whole family was excited about their new life. However, seven days b【小题3】they left for the USA, the youngest son was bitten(咬)by a dog. The doctor treated the boy, b【小题4】 because there was a possibility of rabies(狂犬病), they would be kept away from others for fourteen days.
The family’s dream could not come t【小题5】. They would not be able to make the trip to America as they had planned. Watching the ship leave---without the Clark family, the father was quite a【小题6】 with both his son and God for their bad luck.
Five days later, a piece of sad news s【小题7】_ throughout Scotland---the strong and powerful ship, Titanic, had gone down, taking h【小题8】 of lives with it. The Clark family was to have been on that ship, but because the son was bitten by a dog, they were left b【小题9】in Scotland.
When Mr. Clark heard the news, he thanked his son for saving the family. He thanked the God for t【小题10】a sad thing into a good one. Although we may not always understand, all things happen for a reason. ”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“根据短文内容和首字母提示完成所缺单词。 Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. The couple worked and saved, making p_【小题1】_for their nine children and themselves to travel to the USA. It had taken years before they saved enough money and got everything r【小题2】 for the trip.
The whole family was excited about their new life. However, seven days b【小题3】they left for the USA, the youngest son was bitten(咬)by a dog. The doctor treated the boy, b【小题4】 because there was a possibility of rabies(狂犬病), they would be kept away from others for fourteen days.
The family’s dream could not come t【小题5】. They would not be able to make the trip to America as they had planned. Watching the ship leave---without the Clark family, the father was quite a【小题6】 with both his son and God for their bad luck.
When Mr. Clark heard the news, he thanked his son for saving the family. He thanked the God for t【小题10】a sad thing into a good one. Although we may not always understand, all things happen for a reason. ”相似的习题。

我要回帖

更多关于 god father 的文章

随机推荐