make a living onvoice. It这句话啥意思

Companionship of Books 以书为伴
Companionship of Books
A man may usually be known by the books he reads as well as by
for there is a companionship of boo and one should always live in the best company, whether it be of books or of men.
A good book may be among the best of friends. It is the same today that it always was, and it will never change. It is the most patient and cheerful of companions. It does not turn its back upon us in times of adversity or distress. It always receives us wi amusing and instructing us in youth, and comforting and consoling us in age.
Men often discover their affinity to each other by the mutual love they have for a book just as two persons sometimes discover a friend by the admiration which both entertain for a third. There is an old proverb, “Love me, love my dog.” But there is more wisdom in this:“Love me, love my book.” The book is a truer and higher bond of union. Men can think, feel, and sympathize with each other through their favorite author. They live in him together, and he in them.
A good book is often the best urn of a life enshrining the best that
for the world of a man's life is, for the most part, but the world of his thoughts. Thus the best books are treasuries of good words, the golden thoughts, which, remembered and cherished, become our constant companions and comforters.
Books possess an essence of immortality. They are by far the most lasting products of human effort. Temples and statues decay, but books survive. Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh today as when they first passed through their author’s minds, ages ago. What was then said and thought still speaks to us as vividly as ever from the printed page. The only effect of time have been to sift
for nothing in literature can long survive but what is really good.
Books introduce us i they bring us into the presence of the greatest minds that have ever lived. We hear wh we see them as if th we sympathize with them, enjoy with them, their experience becomes ours, and we feel as if we were, in a measure, actors with them in the scenes which they describe.
The great and good do not die, even in this world. Embalmed in books, their spirits walk abroad. The book is a living voice. It is an intellect to which one still listens.
大家还在听《Confessio Amantis, Volume 1》 John Gower, Russell a Peck【摘要 书评 试读】图书
iPhone/iPad/Mac
Android手机或平板电脑
请输入您的手机号码,获取Kindle阅读软件的下载链接。
通知出版社:
没有Kindle设备?,或者下载免费 。
出版社: Nabu Press (日)
平装: 426页
语种: 英语
18.9 x 2.2 x 24.6 cm
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.
在亚马逊中国上尚未有买家评论。
此商品在美国亚马逊上最有用的商品评论 (beta) (可能包括""的评论)
美国亚马逊:
10/10 人认为此评论有用A good introduction to the OTHER genius of the 14th century
N. M. Heckel
- 已在美国亚马逊上发表
John Gower has been almost forgotten outside the confines of medieval studies, having been, in the modern mind, thoroughly eclipsed by his good friend Geoffrey Chaucer. Despite scurrilous accusations of pedantic morality, Gower is quite an entertaining author to read if one accepts that one cannot read all of the Confessio Amantis (Confession of the Lover) in a single sitting. The Confessio, like Boccaccio's Decameron and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales consists of a series of tales told within a frame narrative, which in this case is the dream vision experienced by the lover Amans. Amans dreams that he comes into the presence of Venus, the goddess of love, and begs her to grant him his lady's love. Venus declares that he must first be shriven, and lends her own confessor, Genius, for this purpose. Genius in turn not only puts Amans through confession, but gives a tutorial on love and self-governance in terms of the Vices and Virtues. Following this pattern, each book of the Confessio focuses on one Vice and its countering Virtue, giving illustrative stories which provide context and examples of "real-life" application. Many of the stories are drawn from classical and Biblical materials, and despite the mild difficulty of a Middle English presentation will be familiar to the modern reader. Even those that are not are often entertaining and illuminating, though readers should be warned that Book 7 contains voluminous catalogs of knowledge which can be very tedious.The Confessio contains a total of eight books plus a P this particular volume (Vol. 1 of three) of the TEAMS edition contains the Prologue, Book 1, and Book 8. Volume 2 (Books 2, 3, and 4) is currently available, and Volume 3 (Books 5, 6, and 7) should be published sometime during 2005. The TEAMS editions are quite useful for all ranges of readers, whether one has a casual interest in Medieval literature or a more focused academic interest in the material. The extensive introduction to the Confessio provides both an introduction to Gower himself and Russell Peck's explanation of the three books of the Confessio covered by the volume. Within the text itself, side glosses help the inexperienced reader of Middle English understand the language, and (see note) annotations direct the reader to explanatory notes that might help to illuminate confusing textual references. In addition, the volume contains textual notes which reveal both the editor's emendations and variants from other MS (Fairfax 3 Bodley 902 and 294 were checked for variants) and another edition (that of G. C. Macaulay) of the Confessio.
Misleading bibliographic details
- 已在美国亚马逊上发表版本: 平装
I haven't read or seen this edition, I just wanted to point out that if it is indeed a reproduction of a pre-1923 text, then the cover, date and attribution are misleading. Russell Peck was definitely not editing Gower before 1923 and it's rather dishonest to put his name on it. For anyone doing serious literary research (or, probably, just trying to understand the text) not all editions are created equal. You should change the bibliographic data so that people looking for Peck's (fine) edition aren't tricked into buying this instead.
3/3 人认为此评论有用Gower
J. Greenland
- 已在美国亚马逊上发表
Don't be fooled by gower's reputation as a stern moralist, the Confessio is an entertaining collection of mini tales (exempla) told to illuminate the seven deadly sins. While Gower's not as humorous as Chaucer or Bocaccio, it's not a dreary sermon. Accessible, glossed text with good into. Note this is vol 1 of 2(?) only, & it's arranged rather oddly, with the prologue, book 1 and book 8 included in this volume, but for my money, book 8's Tale of Apollonius is the best of the lot in any case.
查找其它相似商品
Confessio Amantis, Volume 1 [平装]
通常需要3-5周发货。
由中国国际图书贸易集团公司(客服电话400-008-1110,工作时间9:00 - 18:00)直接销售和发货。
查看产品详情页面完毕后,在此处了解返回您感兴趣的页面的方式。
查看产品详情页面完毕后,在此处了解返回您感兴趣的页面的方式。> 【答案带解析】A man may usually be known by the books ...
A man may usually be known by the books he reads as well as by the company he keeps. One should always live in the best company, whether it be of books or of men.A good book may be among the best of friends. It is the most patient and cheerful of companions. It always receives us wi amusing and instructing us in youth, and comforting us in age.Men often discover their similarity to each other by the common love they have for a book just as two persons sometimes discover a friend by the admiration which both entertain for a third. There is an old proverb, “Love me, love my dog.” But there is more wisdom in this: “Love my, love my book.” The book is a truer and higher bond(纽带) of union. Men can think, feel, and sympathize with each other through their favorite author. They live in him together, and he in them.A good book is often the best container of a life preserving the best that life could
for the world of a man’s life is, for the most part, but the world of his thoughts. Thus the best books are treasuries of good words, the golden thoughts, which become our steady companions and comforters.Books are by far the most lasting products of human effort. Temples and statues decay(腐朽), but good books survive. Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh today as when they first passed through their author’s minds, ages ago.The great and good do not die, even in this world. Preserved in books, their spirits walked abroad. The book is a living voice. It is an intellect(智者) to which one still listens.1.The writer introduces the topic of the passage by
.A. describing life experience of great writersB. telling his own story of reading good booksC. presenting the best thoughts in good booksD. comparing good books to good friends in life2.What does the underlined sentence in Paragraph 3 mean?A. Readers feel sympathy for the author.B. Readers live together with the author.C. Readers and the author share the same feeling.D. Readers are the author’s companions and comforters.3.which of the following is TRUE according to the passage?A. We can learn about the great and good through books.B. The most important part of a man’s life is his treasures.C. Good books help us to know about their authors’ friends.D. Books are often regarded as best containers in our life.4.the passage mainly tells us that
.A. one should have some good friendsB one should read as many books as possibleC. one should keep company with good booksD books are the most lasting products of human efforts 
试题分析:文章通过将好书和好朋友进行比较,说明人应该有好书的陪伴,一本好书对读者的影响。
1.写作手法题:从文章的第一段的句子:A man may usually be known by the books he reads as well as by the company he keeps. 可知作者是将好书和人生中...
考点分析:
考点1:人生百味类阅读
相关试题推荐
Once, my father and I were waiting to buy tickets for the circus. Finally, there only one family
us and the counter, who made a big
on me. There were eight children, all probably under 12. You could
they weren’t rich. Their clothes weren’t expensive but
. The children were well-behaved., standing in line behind their parents and
talking about what they would see that night.One could
they had never been to the circus before. The mother was holding her husband’s hand while the father was smiling in
. The ticket lady asked the father how many tickets he wanted. He proudly
, “Eight for children and two for adults, please.”The ticket lady told him the price. The man’s wife let go of
hand, her head dropped, and his lip began to tremble. The father leaned a little
and asked, “How much did you say?”The ticket lady
the price. The man didn’t have enough money.
was he supposed to turn and tell his kids that he didn’t have enough
to take them to the circus? Seeing this, my father put his hand in his pocket,
a $20 bill and dropped it on the ground. Then my father
down, picked up the bill and said the man, “Excuse me, sir, this fell out of your pocket.”The man knew what was going on. He wasn’t begging for it but certainly
the timely help in such an
situation. He took my father’s
in both of his, squeezed(紧捏) tightly onto the
, and with a rear running down his cheek, he replied, “Thank you, sir. This really
a lot to me and my family.”1.A. before
B. between
D. besides2.A. difference
C. impression
D. suggestion3.A. tell
C. believe
D. suppose4.A. clean
D. common5.A. disappointedly
B. bitterly
C. excitedly
D. carelessly6.A. sense
D. Recognize7.A. surprise
C. silence
D. pride8.A. laughed
B. announced
C. commented
D. responded9.A. my
D. their10.A. backwards
D. farther11.A. refused
B. recited
C. reduced
D. repeated12.A. When
D. Why13.A. time
D. courage14.A. pulled out
B. pulled up
C. picked out
D. picked up15.A. jumped
C. knocked
D. reached16.A. appreciated
B. admired
C. rejected
D. offered17.A. interesting
B. embarrassing
C. enjoyable
D. unbelievable18.A. pocket
D. hand19.A. ticket
D. paper20.A. pays
D. gives 
—It shouldn't be so difficult to solve the problem if we all come to help.
—That's right_
_.A.Many hands make light work
B.Something is better than nothing.C.The more,
the better
D.The sooner begun, the sooner done 
So far it has been suggested that special stress _____ on pre-school education.? A. is laid
B. be laid
C. has been laid
D. have been laid  
Looking up ,I saw his eyes ___on me in curiosity.A. fixing
D. having fixed 
—Jack failed the driving test again.?—The question is_____ we can help him avoid making the same mistake.?A. how
D. whom  
题型:阅读理解
难度:困难
Copyright @
满分5 学习网 . All Rights Reserved.[转载][热门]新东方英语背诵美文30篇&英文&翻译
最新消息:搜狐微博为了跟新浪微博竞争做老大。开始跟移动合作。注册就送10块话费。大家有福气了。刚注册了个试试。还真有。连续登陆7天,就100%可得到10元充值卡。&
注册了搜狐微博以后,绑定手机,就可以领任务,
   第一篇:Youth 青春
  Youth i i it is not a
matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple1) it is a matter
of will, a quality of the imagination, a v it
is the freshness of the deep springs of life.
  Youth means a temperamental2) predominance3) of courage over
timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease. This
often exists in a man of 60 more than a boy of 20. Nobody grows old
merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting4) our
  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles
the soul. Worry, fear, immolation-distrust bows the heart and turns
the spirit back to dust.
  Whether 60 or 16, there is in every human being’s heart the lure
of wonders, the unfailing childlike appetite of what’s next and the
joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart
there is a wireless station: So long as it receives messages of
beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the
infinite5), so long are you young.
  When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows
of cynicism6) and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old,
even at 20; but as long as your aerials are up, to catch waves of
optimism, there is hope you may die young at 80.
  [Annotation:]
  1)supple adj. 优柔的
  2)temperamental adj. 由气质引起的
  3)predominance n. 上风
  4) desert vt. 丢弃
  5) the Infinite天主
  6) cynicism n. 玩世不恭青春
  青春不是韶华,而是心境;青春不是桃面、丹唇、柔膝,而是深邃深厚的意志、恢弘的想象、炙热的***;青春是生命的深泉在涌动。
  青春气冲牛斗,勇锐盖过怯弱,进取压服偷安。如此锐气,二十年后生而有之,六旬男人则更多见。年事有加,并非垂老,理想丢弃,方堕晚年。
  岁月悠悠,虚弱只及肌肤;热忱放弃,颓丧必致魂灵。忧烦,惊慌,损失落自傲,定使心灵扭曲,意气如灰。
  无论年届花甲,抑或二八芳龄,心中皆有生命之欢喜,事业之***,孩童般天真久盛不衰。人人皆有一台天线,只要你从天上人世接管美好、希看、欢喜、勇气和气力的旌旗灯号,你就青春永驻,风华常存。
  一旦天线倾圮,锐气使冰雪覆盖、玩世不恭、安于现状油然而生,即使年方二八,实已逐步老矣,然则只要竖起天线,捕捉乐不美观旌旗灯号,你就有看在八十高龄辞别世间时仍觉年轻。
  ?第二篇: Three Days to See(Excerpts)假如给我三天亮光(节选)
  All of us have read thrilling1) stories in which the hero had
only a limited and specified time to live. Sometimes it was as long
sometimes as short as twenty-four hours. But always we
were interested in discovering just how the doomed man chose to
spend his last days or his last hours. I speak, of course, of free
men who have a choice, not condemned2) criminals whose sphere of
activities is strictly delimited3).
  Such stories set us thinking, wondering what we should do under
similar circumstances. What events, what experiences, what
associations should we crowd into those last hours as mortal
beings? What happiness should we find in reviewing the past, what
  Sometimes I have thought it would be an excellent rule to live
each day as if we should die tomorrow. Such an attitude would
emphasize sharply the values of life. We should live each day with
a gentleness, a vigor, and a keenness of appreciation which are
often lost when time stretches before us in the constant panorama4)
of more days and months and years to come. There are those, of
course, who would adopt the Epicurean5) motto of “Eat, drink, and
be merry“, but most people would be chastened6) by the certainty of
impending7) death.
  In stories the doomed hero is usually saved at the last minute by
some stroke of fortune, but almost always his sense of values is
changed. He becomes more appreciative of the meaning of life and
its permanent spiritual values. It has often been noted that those
who live, or have lived, in the shadow of death bring a mellow
sweetness to everything they do.
  Most of us, however, take life for granted. We know that one day
we must die, but usually we picture that day as far in the future.
When we are in buoyant health, death is all but unimaginable. We
seldom think of it. The days stretch out in an endless vista8). So
we go about our petty tasks, hardly aware of our listless9)
attitude toward life.
  The same lethargy10), I am afraid, characterizes the use of all
our faculties and senses. Only the deaf appreciate hearing, only
the blind realize the manifold11) blessings that lie in sight.
Particularly does this observation apply to those who have lost
sight and hearing in adult life. But those who have never suffered
impairment of sight or hearing seldom make the fullest use of these
blessed faculties. Their eyes and ears take in all sights and
sounds hazily, without concentration and with little appreciation.
It is the same old story of not being grateful for what we have
until we lose it, of not being conscious of health until we are
ill.I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being
were stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his
early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of
silence would teach him the joys of sound.
  1) thrilling adj. 惊心动魄的
  2) condemned adj. 被宣?**拮锏?
  3) delimit vt. 定鸿沟
  4) panorama n. 全景
  5) epicurean adj. 伊壁鸠鲁的,享乐主义的
  6) chasten vt. 斥责,赏罚
  7) impending adj. 迫近的
  8) vista n. 远景,展看
  9) listless adj. 冷峭的,倦怠的,情感降低的
  10) lethargy n. 无生气
  11) manifold adj. 多方面的假如给我三天亮光(节选)
  我们都读过震撼人心的故事,故事中的主人公只给再活一段很有限的年光,有时长达一年,有时却短至一日。但我们总是想要知道,注定将要离世的人会选择若何度过自己最后的年光。当然,我说的是那些有选择权力的自由人,而不是那些勾当规模受到严酷限制的死囚。
  这样的故事让我们思虑,在近似的处境下,我们该做些什么呢?作为终有一死的人,在临终的几个小时内我们该做什么事、履历些什么或做哪些联想?回忆往昔,什么使我们欢快欢愉?什么又使我们懊悔不已?
  有时我想,把天天都算作生射中的最后一天来过,也不失落为一个极好的生活法例。这种态度会使人非分格外重视生命的价值。我们天天都应该以优雅的姿态、充沛的精神、抱着感恩之心来生活。但那时刻以无停止的日、月和年在我们眼前流逝时,我们却经常没有了这种感受。当然,也有人奉行“吃、喝、享受”的享乐主义信条,但尽年夜年夜都人还是会受到即将到来的衰亡的赏罚。
  在故事中,将死的主人公凡是都在最后一刻因突降的幸运而获救,但他的价值不美观凡是城市改变,他变的加倍理解生命的意义及永恒的精神价值。我们经常注重到,那些生活在或曾经生活在衰亡阴影下的人无论做什么城市感应幸福。
  然而,我们中的年夜年夜都人都把生命看作是理所当然的。我们知道有一天我们必将面临衰亡,但总以为那一天还在远远的未来。当我们身强体健之时,衰亡简直不成想象,我们很少考虑到它。日子多的仿佛没有尽顶。是以我们一味忙于琐事,几乎意识不到我们看待生活的冷峭态度。
  我担忧同样的冷峭也存在于我们对自己官能和意思的运用上。只有聋子才理解听力的主要,只有瞽者才年夜白视觉的可贵。这尤其适用于那些成年后才失落往视力和听力的人。可是那些从未受过损失落视力或听力之苦的人很少充实操纵这些高尚的能力。他们的眼睛和耳朵模糊地感应感染着四周的景物与声音,心不在焉,也无所感激。这正如我们只有在失落往才懂得爱护保重一样,我们只有生病后才意识到健康的可贵。
  我经常想,若是每小我在年轻的时辰都有几天失落明失落聪,也不失落为一件幸事。漆黑将使他加倍感激亮光,静静将告诉他声音的美妙。
  ?第三篇:Companionship of Books 以书为伴(节选)
  A man may usually be known by the books he reads as well as by
the company1) for there is a companionship2) of books as
and one should always live in the best company,
whether it be of books or of men.A good book may be among the best
of friends. It is the same today that it always was, and it will
never change. It is the most patient and cheerful of companions. It
doesn’t turn its back upon us in times of adversity or distress. It
always receives us wi amusing and instructing
us in youth, and comforting and consoling us in age.
  Men often discover their affinity3) to each other by the mutual
love they have for a book just as two persons sometimes discover a
friend by the admiration which both entertain for a third. There is
an old proverb, “Love me, love my dog.” But there is more wisdom in
this: “Love me, love my book.” The book is a truer and higher bond
of union. Men can think, feel, and sympathize4) with each other
through their favorite author. They live in him together, and he in
  A good book is often the best urn5) of a life enshrining6) the
for the world of a man’s life is,
for the most part, but the world of his thoughts. Thus the best
books are treasuries of good words, the golden thoughts, which,
remembered and cherished, become our constant companions and
comforters.
  Books possess an essence of immortality7). They are by far the
most lasting products of human effort. Temples and statues decay,
but books survive. Time is of no account with great thoughts, which
are as fresh today as when they first passed through their author’s
minds, ages ago. What was then said and thought still speaks to us
as vividly as ever from the printed page. The only effect of time
has been to sift out8) for nothing in literature
can long survive but what is really good.
  Books introduce us i they bring us into the
presence of the greatest minds that have ever lived. We hear what
we see them as if th we
sympathize with them, enjoy with them, their
experience becomes ours, and we feel as if we were in a measure
actors with them in the scenes which they describe.
  The great and good don’t die, even in this world. Embalmed9) in
books, their spirits walk abroad. The book is a living voice. It is
an intellect to which one still listens.
  1) company n. 陪同
  2) companionship n. 友情
  3) affinity n. 吸引力
  4) sympathize vi. 同情
  5) urn n. 壶,容器
  6) enshrine v. 收躲
  7) immortality n. 不朽
  8) sift sth out 裁减,删除
  9) embalm vt. 铭刻,使不朽以书为伴(节选)
  凡是看一小我读些什么书就可知道他的为人,就像看他同什么人交往就知道他的为人一样,由于有人以酬报伴,也有人以书为伴。无论是书还是伴侣,我们都应该以最好的为伴。
  好书就像是你最要好的伴侣。它始终不渝,曩昔如此,此刻如此,未来也永远不变。它是最有耐心、最令人愉悦的伴侣。在我们穷愁潦倒、临危遭难时,它也不会丢弃我们,对我们总是一如既往的亲热。在我们年轻时,好书陶冶我们的脾性,增添我们的见识;到我们年老时,它又给我们以宽慰和激励。
  人们经常由于喜欢同一本书而结为知己,就像有时两小我由于钦慕同一小我而成为伴侣一样。有句古谚说道:“爱屋及乌。”实在“爱我及书”这句话蕴涵着更多的哲理。书是更为真诚而尊贵的情意纽带。人们可以经过过程配合喜爱的作家沟通思想、交流***,彼此心心相印,并与自己喜欢的作家思想相通,***相融。
  好书常如最出色的宝器,收躲着人生思想的精华,由于人生的境界首要就在于其思想的境界。是以,最好的书是金玉良言和高尚思想的宝库,这些良言和思想若铭刻于心并多加重视,就回成为我们忠诚的伴侣和永恒的宽慰。
  书籍具有不朽的素质,是人类全力缔造的最为持久的功效。寺庙会倒坍,神像会朽烂,而书却经悠久存。对于伟年夜的思想来说,时刻是无关紧要的。多年前初度闪现于作者脑海的伟年夜思想本日依然清爽如故。他们那时的谈吐和思想刊于册页,此刻依然活跃如初。时刻唯一的浸染是裁减欠好的作品,由于只有真正的佳作才能经世长存。
  书籍先容我们与最优异的酬报伍,使我们置身于历代伟人大师之间,如闻其声、如不美观其行、如见其人,同他们***交融、悲喜与共、感同身受。我们感受自己仿佛在作者所描画的舞台上和他们袍笏登场。
  即使在人时刻,伟年夜精采的人物也永生不灭。他们的精神被载进书册,传于四海。书是人们至今仍在聆听的聪明之声,永远布满活力。
  ?第四篇:If I Rest, I Rust 若是我歇息,我就会生锈
  The significant inscription1) found on an old key-----“If I rest,
I rust”-----would be an excellent motto for those who are
afflicted2) with the slightest bit of idleness. Even the most
industrious person might adopt it with advantage to serve as a
reminder that, if one allows his faculties3) to rest, like the iron
in the unused key, they will soon show signs of rust and,
ultimately, can’t do the work required of them.
  Those who would attain the heights reached and kept by great men
must keep their faculties polished by constant use, so that they
may unlock the doors of knowledge, the gates that guard the
entrances to the professions, to science, art, literature,
agriculture----every department of human endeavor4).
  Industry keeps bright the key that opens the treasury of
achievement. If Hugh Miller, after toiling5) all day in a quarry6),
had devoted his evenings to rest and recreation, he would never
have become a famous geologist. The celebrated mathematician,
Edmund Stone, would never have published a mathematical dictionary,
never have found the key to science of mathematics, if he had given
his spare moments to idleness. Had the little Scotch lad, Ferguson,
allowed the busy brain to go to sleep while he tended sheep on the
hillside, instead of calculating the position of the stars by a
string of beads, he would never have become a famous
astronomer.
  Labor vanquishes7) all----not inconstant, spasmodic8), or
ill- but faithful, unremitting9), daily effort
toward a well-directed purpose. Just as truly as eternal
vigilance10) is the price of liberty, so is eternal industry the
price of noble and enduring success.
  1) inscription n. 题字
  2) afflict vt. 熬煎
  3) faculty n. 才能
  4) endeavor vi. 全力
  5) toil vi. 苦干
  6) quarry n. 采石场
  7) vanquish vt. 征服,击败
  8) spasmodic adj. 间歇性的
  9) unremitting adj. 不懈的
  10) vigilance n. 警戒若是我歇息,我就会生锈
  在一把旧钥匙上发现了一则意味深远的铭文——若是我歇息,我就会生锈。对于那些为懒散而忧?的人来说,这将是至理名言。甚至最为勤勉的人也可以此为警示;若是一小我有才而不用,就像销毁钥匙的铁一样,这些才能很快就会生锈,并终极无法完成放置给自己的工作。
  有些人想取得伟人所获得并连结的成就,他们就必须经过过程不竭运用自身才能,以便开启常识的年夜门,即那些经过过程人类全力根究的各个规模的年夜门,这些规模搜罗各类职业:科学、艺术、文学、农业等。
  勤恳使开启成功宝库的钥匙连结亮光。休?米勒若是在采石厂劳作一天后,晚上的年光用来歇息消遣的话,他就不会成为名垂青史的地质学家。著名数学家爱德蒙?斯通若是闲暇时无所事事,就不会出书数学辞书,也不会发现开启数学之门的钥匙。若是苏格兰青年弗格森在山坡上放羊时,让自己那思维活跃的年夜脑处于歇息状况,而不是借助一串珠子计较星星的位置,他就不会成为著名的天文学家。
  劳动征服一切。这里所指的劳动不是断断续续的,间歇性的或标的目的误差的劳动,而是判定的、不懈的、标的目的正确的逐日劳动。正如要想拥有自由就必须时刻警戒一样,要想取得伟年夜的、持久的成功,就必须要坚韧不拔的全力。
  ?第五篇:Ambition 理想It is not difficult to imagine a world short of
ambition. It would probably be a kinder world: without demands,
without abrasions1), without disappointments. People would have
time for reflection. Such work as they did would not be for
themselves but for the collectivity2). Competition would never
enter in. Conflict would be eliminated, tension become a thing of
the past. The stress of creation would be at an end. Art would no
longer be troubling, but purely celebratory in its functions.
Longevity would be increased, for fewer people would die of heart
attack or stroke caused by tumultuous3) endeavor. Anxiety would be
extinct. Time would stretch on and on, with ambition long departed
from the human heart.
  Ah, how unrelievedly4) boring life would be!
  There is a strong view that holds that success is a myth, and
ambition therefore a sham5). Does this mean that success does not
really exist? That achievement is at bottom6) empty? That the
efforts of men and women are of no significance alongside the force
of movements and events? Now not all success, obviously, is worth
esteeming, nor all ambition worth cultivating. Which are and which
are not is something one soon enough learns on one’s own. But even
the most cynical7) secretly admit that
achievement cou and that the true myth is that
the actions of men and women are useless. To believe otherwise is
to taken on a point of view that is likely to be deranging8). It
is, in its implications, to remove all motives for competence,
interest in attainment, and regard for posterity9).
  We don’t choose to be born. We don’t choose our parents. We don’t
choose our historical epoch10), the country of our birth, or the
immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We don’t, most of us,
nor do we choose the time or conditions of our
death. But within all this realm of choicelessness, we do choose
how we shall live: courageously or in cowardice11), honorably or
dishonorably, with purpose of in drift. We decide what is important
and what is trivial in life. We decide that what makes us
significant is either what we do or what we refuse to do. But no
matter how indifferent the universe may be to our choices and
decisions, these choices and decisions are ours to make. We decide.
We choose. And as we decide and choose, so are our lives formed. In
the end, forming our own destiny is what ambition is about.
  1) abrasion n. 磨损
  2) collectivity n. 集体
  3) tumultuous adj. 喧哗的,纷乱的
  4) unrelievedly adv. 持续不变地,未缓和地
  5) sham n. 圈套
  6) at bottom 现实上
  7) cynical adj. 愤世嫉俗的
  8) derange vi. 打乱
  9) posterity n. 子孙,后裔
  10) epoch n. 时代,时代
  11) cowardice adj. 胆冷;怯懦理想
  一个缺乏理想的世界将会若何,这不难想象。或许,这将是一个更为友善的世界:没有巴看,没有摩擦,没有失落看。人们将有时刻进行反思。他们所从事的工作将不是为他们自身,而是为了整个集体。竞争永远不会参与;冲突将被消弭。人们的严重关系将成为过往云烟。缔造的重压将得以终结。艺术将不在引人劳神,其功能将纯粹为了庆典。人的寿命将会更长,由于有激烈拼争引起的心脏病和中风所导致的衰亡将越来越少。焦炙将会消逝踪。年光流失落,理想却早已阔别人心。
  啊,长此以往人生将变的何等乏味无聊!
  有一种流行的不雅概念以为,成功是一种神话,是以理想亦属虚幻。这是不是说现实上并不存在成功?成就自己就是一场空?与诸多行为和事务的气力对比,男男女女的全力显得眇乎小哉?显然,并非所有的成功都值得敬仰,也并非所有的理想都值得追求。对值与不值的选择,一小我自然而然很快就学会。但即使是最为愤世嫉俗的人暗地里也认可,成功确实存在,成就的意义举足轻重,而把世界男男女女的所作所为说成是徒劳无功才是真正的无稽之谈。以为成功不存在的不雅概念很可能造成杂乱。这种不雅概念的本意是一笔勾销所有进步能力的动机,求取业绩的乐趣和对子孙儿女的关注。
  我们无法选择出生,无法选择怙恃,无法选择出生的历史时代与国荚冬或是长大的方圆情形。我们年夜年夜都人都无法选择衰亡,无法选择衰亡的时刻或条件。可是在这些无法选择之中,我们简直可以选择自己的生活体例:是勇敢无畏还是怯懦怯懦,是亮光磊落还是恬不知耻,是方针判定还是随波逐流。我们抉择生活中哪些至关主要,哪些眇乎小哉。我们抉择,用以显示我们自身主要性的,不是我们做了些什么,或是我们拒尽做些什么。可是非论世界对我们所做的选择和抉择有何等隔山观虎斗,这些选择和抉择事实下场是我们自己做出的。我们抉择,我们选择。而当我们抉择和选择时,我们的生活便得以形成。终极修建我们命运的就是理想之地址。
  ?第六篇:What I have Lived for 我为何而生 Three passions, *** but
overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love,
the search for knowledge, and unbearable1) pity for the suffering
of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither
and thither2), in a wayward3) course, over a deep ocean of
anguish4), reaching to the very verge5) of despair.
  I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy6)----ecstasy
so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of my life
for a few hours for this joy. I have sought it, next, because it
relieves loneliness-----that terrible loneliness in which one
shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the
cold unfathomable7) lifeless abyss8). I have sought it, finally,
because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature9),
the prefiguring10) vision of the heaven that saints and poets have
imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good
for human life, this is what---at last---I have found.
  With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to
understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars
shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which
number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I
have achieved.
  Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward
toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth.
Echoes of cries of pain reverberate11) in my heart. Children in
famine, victims tortured by oppressors12), helpless old people a
hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness,
poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I
long to alleviate13) the evil, but I can’t, and I too suffer.
  This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would
gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.
  1) unbearable adj. 无法忍受的
  2) hither and thither 处处
  3) wayward adj. 人性的
  4) anguish n. 疾苦,忧?
  5) verge n. 边沿
  6) ecstasy n. 出神
  7) unfathomable adj. 莫测高深的
  8) abyss n. 深渊
  9) miniature n. 缩影,缩图
  10) prefigure vt. 预示,设想
  11) reverberate vi. 反映
  12) oppressor n. 榨取者
  13) mockery n. 嘲笑
  14) alleviate vt. 使易于接管,减轻我为何而生
  我的生平被三种简单却又无比强烈的***所节制:对爱的巴看,对常识的摸索和对人类磨折难以抑制的同情。这些***像狂风,把我的恣情吹向四方,擦过磨折的年夜海,迫使我濒临尽看的边沿。
  我追求爱,首先由于它使我心为之沉迷,这种难以名状的美妙迷醉使我愿意用所有的余生往换取哪怕几个小时这样的幸福。我追求爱,还由于它能缓解我心理上的孤独,在这种恐怖的孤独中,我感受心灵的战栗,仿如站在世界的边沿而前是冰冷,无底的衰亡深渊。我追求爱,由于在我所目睹的爱的连系中,我仿佛看到了圣贤和诗人们所神驰的天堂之景。这就是我所寻找的,固然对人的生平而言似乎有些远不成及,但至少是用尽生平所贯通到的。
  我用同样的***往寻找常识。我希看能够理解人类的心灵,希看能够知道群星闪灼的启事。我试图贯通毕达哥拉斯所钦慕的“数即万物”思想。我已经悟出了其中的一点点事理,尽管并不是很多。
  爱和常识,用它们的气力把人引向天堂。可是同情却总是又拽回到红尘中来。疾苦的呼唤招呼声回荡在我的心里。饥饿的孩子、受榨取的难平易近、被儿女们算作承担的无助的老人,还有整个布满了孤独、贫穷和疾苦的世界,都是对人类所憧憬的美好生活无情的嘲弄。我巴看能够削减***,可是我力所不及,我也难逃其熬煎。
  这就是我的生平,我已经找到了它的价值。而且若是有机缘,我很愿意能再活它一次。
孤单的我一个人过着漂泊的生活,希望有一个人在我高兴的时候可以和我一起疯狂!
点击下面图片可进入我的空间哦
以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。

我要回帖

更多关于 make a living by 的文章

随机推荐