Are you worrying abouthey yo what s up(wear)yo a party

What Are You Worried About? | Big Think
Before You Start a Project, Do Your Best to Kil...
Before You Start a Project, Do Your Best to Kill It
Astro Teller
How a Math Algorithm Could Educate the Whole Wo...
How a Math Algorithm Could Educate the Whole World – for Free
Po-Shen Loh
Smart Tech: Phones, Drones, and Interior Mapping
Smart Tech: Phones, Drones, and Interior Mapping
Avideh Zakhor
Eradicating Malaria: The End Game Relies on Sci...
Eradicating Malaria: The End Game Relies on Scientific Alliances
Philip Eckhoff
6-PART PLAYLIST
Senior Economist, The Institute for New Economic Thinking
Videos [1]
Actor and Comedian
Actor, &The Infiltrator&
Videos [1]
Astrophysicist
Theoretical Astrophysicist, Barnard College
Videos [3]
CONNECT WITH US
What Are You Worried About?
Over a year ago
Over at , its impresario John Brockman poses an annual question to his assemblage of scientists, scholars, writers and other insightful people. This year's (suggested by ), was this: "Tell us something that worries you (for scientific reasons), but doesn't seem to be on the popular radar yet&and why it should be." The result was an interesting array of anxiety. My own worry, which I didn't realize was preying on me until I focussed on this question, is the ongoing astonishing rise in the average age of the human race. .
Among the other responses, I noticed a number with the post-rational theme that we ought to worry about the ways we worry&because of the way our minds are organized, these writers think, we can't fret about the right things, even as we wear ourselves into a frazzle about the wrong ones.
For instance,
that we generally worry in ways that are futile but wasteful of our limited time and energy. Similarly,
that are incapable of worrying about the right things, because we're (a) compelled by (darkly or positively) thrilling information, (b) discount the future, (c) tend to see our immediate troubles as our biggest, and (d) tend to think that the world is just (so we can't conceive that things can get as bad as they in fact can). Specifically, he thinks we're congenitally incapable of evaluating the risks involved in biotechnology, nanotechnology and the arrival of machines that are smarter than we are.
Another "meta" theme this year is the unexamined consequences of the human race's process of . For instance,
that the rich variety of human experience is turning into one homogenized global beige, the way that the planet's rich diversity of edible plants has been crowded out by a few monocultures. And
about the ease with which people now access any knowledge they seek. (Writing this blog has made me wonder about that myself. Years ago, if I dimly recalled reading something about people taming themselves the way we have tamed animals, I would have had to find a book on my shelves or go to the library and hunt or call up someone whom I might hope would be knowledgable. Now I Google. I still need to have some idea of what the hell I want to know, but the passage from cloudy notion to precision can feel weirdly unearned. I think that's what's on Humphrey's mind, when he writes that "we are in danger of becoming mere knowledge tourists, hopping from attraction to attraction at 30,000 feet without respecting the ground that lies between."
Internet dependence also came up in another way among several contributors, who worry about what happens, given our dependence on the Internet, when .
I was also struck by
about our misplaced notions of childrearing, which causes people to worry about inconsequential things (which way the stroller faces, which form of "sleep training" to use) while missing the consequential ones (like the fact that so many American children grow up in poverty, thus missing out on the "long, protected, stable childhood" that best serves a developing human being). That one ties together the threads of misplaced anxiety, reliance on technology, and the effects of today's experiences on tomorrow's people. It also is one of those mind-altering posts which causes you wonder "how could I have not seen that?"
All in all, it's a stimulating collection. Well worth a look.
Follow me on Twitter: @davidberreby
MOST POPULAR
Newsletter sign up
Big Think 101打开手机微信,扫描以下二维码,即可通过我们的公众微信平台学英语。
客服短信:客服邮箱:
全站资料无限下载、手机APP免费使用。¥598元/12个月
承诺三年拿下口语!¥4990元/终身
VOA商务英语 - Lesson 268 - You Are What You Wear (2)
阅读次数:
VIP会员专享下载:(非VIP会员无权下载!如果想下载,但还不是VIP会员,)* 日起,网站不再提供免费下载服务,详情请看站长公开信:下载方式:使用鼠标右键(注意是鼠标右键!)点击下面的MP3音频/MP4视频链接,然后选择“另存为…”。
Cathy 跟同事Adam 正在讨论,一个人的穿着是否会对他的精神状态产生影响。Adam 说,A:
Have you ever heard the saying, &clothes make the man&? It might be truer than we imagine.C: When a police officer or firefighter puts on their uniform it must affect their psychology.
It probably gives them a sense of responsibility and authority.A: Absolutely. When a judge puts on that heavy black robe it transmits an image of power, but it also serves as a reminder to the judge of the responsibility of their position.C: I know when I'm wearing a nice suit I feel a lot more confident. If I'm going out for a night on the town and I'm all dressed up I feel a lot better about myself than if I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt.英语里有一种说法叫 clothes make the man. 相当于中文里说的人靠衣服马靠鞍。Adam 说,这句老话恐怕比我们想的更有道理。警察穿上警服,消防员穿上消防服,法官穿上黑色长袍,都会平添一种使命感和权威感,Cathy 说,她每次穿西装,也会倍感自信,还说,晚上出去吃饭消遣时,如果 dressed up 精心打扮,就会自我感觉更好。Cathy说的, go out for a night on the town, 是一种固定说法,意思是出去吃饭,喝酒,看节目,消遣。A: Yeah, I think everyone recognizes that part about the power of clothes....but that's not exactly why I wear a tie to work every day.C: You wear it because you think it makes you smarter.A: Yes. I think putting on a shirt and tie actually affects the way my brain works.C: That's a very interesting concept!A: My eyes look down and see what I'm wearing and my brain gets a reminder that I'm a businessman.... and I think the brain responds to expectations.Adam 说,他每天都穿西装打领带,不是给别人看的,更多的是在提醒自己,随时提醒自己是商界人士,这样大脑就会做出反应,做出的事,说出的话都会更加得体。C: It's kind of like an actor trying to play a role...you have to have the right costume!A: I think that's a good way of expressing it! I'm sure it's much harder for actors and actresses to get into character before they put on the right costume.C: Yeah....but after the clothes and the makeup go on, they look in the mirror and their brains are able to shift into the role.A: The symbolic meaning of a tie is &business& and so for me it's an identifying symbol that I think affects both how others see me and how I see myself.C: Interesting.....hmm.....maybe I should start wearing a suit.这就跟演员穿上戏服,才能进入角色一样。Adam 觉得,这样比喻恰如其分,that's a good way of expressing it.
演员穿上戏服,化好妆,看着镜子里的自己,他们的大脑就会做出反应,help them to shift into the role. 帮他们进入角色。Adam 最后说,西装领带,对他来说就是一种定位的象征符号,不仅影响到别人对他的看法,也会影响到他自己的精神状态。 Clothes make the man, 也可以说,you are what you wear, 人靠衣服马靠鞍。
网友的学习评论(条):
Although I've realized that the concept in the program is quite reasonable, I still don't have the courage to wear like that because if you do wear that way, the colleagues around you will gossip about what you wear, and you will feel embarrassed when you hear them talk about you. At least, most people in our company won't dress that way either.
I think other's gossip shouldn't be a burden on your heart, if you keep your own style and that's really helpful to your business and attitudes ,others may not so boring to discuss you, then your behavior
will be approved of.
when i'm dressed up i feel a lot better about myself. expecially at office.
Clothes make the man.
It's kind of like an actor trying to play a role.
i like to wear a tie.but it is hard for me to make it.
clothes make the man
clothes make a man
you are what you wear 人靠衣装马靠鞍go out for a night on the town 出去吃饭
clothes make the man .i agree with it.
thats a reasonable point, but in some kinds of company, like IT , former colthes may not suitable for them, because they need a more relaxed enviroment, so maybe some casual colthes are more suitable. any way, its just a exception, i agree the concept of this article.
I cannot agree more
you are what you wear.en ,yes
when i take on our school unifom ,i feel proud of my school .
You wear it because you think it makes you smarter.
There is very interesting concept.
there is a very interesting concept.
clothes make the man.. it is very truth...
with reason。Different dress gives a different feeling。
I do think the surroundings have part affects on one's wear style, but we can choose another way rather than uniform but a more business casual, which can also help us to feel better and affect our thoughts
It's a good way to practise the English.I love it!
I totally agree with the point , for a woman you can wear what you want,it makes you very different and smart , more confident.
clothes make the man
you are what you
wear .都是人靠衣服马靠鞍。
go out for a night on the town, 是一种固定说法,意思是出去吃饭,喝酒,看节目,消遣。
Clothes make the man
When I'm all dressed up I feel better good and more confident.
personally speaking,I believe "clothes make the man" is a complex concept,which is not telling you to dress up a special style,but emphasize the proper style.we have to pay attention
to what is real meaning of you are what you are.if you are afraid of others' gossip, you need find a cloth more proper.for example ,if you go out for wedding banquet, you have to choose a formal dress,and the important thing is better not to rob the bride's focus.in one word, clothing is a knowledge for us.
I want to tell you a story about my experience. The last day
in 2014, I and my boy-friend went to Wolrd of Window , he always asked me to take photo ,but I refused him. At the beginning, I had supposed that I shouldn't be able to go there, so I didn't do any preparation,I don't take a shower, don't made up and don't wear beautiful suits so that I seem to lack self-confidence
Clothes make the man. but what measns of clothes make yourself. who know it?
"You are what you wear or clothes make the man. " This saying is super good. From now on, I will wear the right clothes at my work and at any important party.
Dress you up everyday,cos you never know who you will meet in the next minute.第12课时课题:7BUnit2Neighbour;Studyskills&Task;班级:_______姓名:_______学号:_;【学习目标】;1.Askstudentstoreadnotic;2.Teachthemtohaveaclears;3.Completeapassageabouth;【课前预习】;☆★预习完成情况评价:___日期:___
课题:7B Unit 2
Neighbours
Study skills &Task
班级:_______ 姓名:_______ 学号:_______
授课时间:2014年03月__日(星期_)
【学习目标】
1. Ask students to read notices of the four clubs, and classify the information you need.
2. Teach them to have a clear structure of writing and organize ideas
3. Complete a passage about how neighbours help each other.
【课前预习】
☆★预习完成情况评价:___
日期:___
【课堂学习】
1. Are you not feeling well these days?
解析 feel well --- 身体好,没有毛病;
well 是形容词
feel good --- 自我感觉好
练习 a. 如果你感到不舒服,一定要去看病。_____ you don’t _______ _______, you must go to
b. Tony always feels good at school. 译:____________________________________________
2. Are you worrying about what to wear to a party or how to design your home?
解析1 worry about …--- 担心…
链接 be worried about--- 担心
练习 Mr Smith 很担心他的儿子。Mr Smith __________ _________ __________his son.
= Mr Smith ________ ___________ __________his son.
解析2 what to wear 和 how to design your home --- 疑问词+不定式 结构
练习 a. 我不知道接下来做什么。I don’t know _______ _____ _____ _____.
b. 你知道怎样才能到达市中心吗?Do you know _____ ____ ______ _____ the ____ ____ town? c. 我在担心怎样才能到家。I _____ _______ ________ ______ _____ get home.
【当堂巩固反馈单】
一 根据首字母或汉语提示写出单词
1. Simon is looking at the n____________ board of the community centre now.
2. The mother is w___________ about her sick son.
3. We can get enough _______________ (信息) for our project on the Internet.
4. Mary lives six floors _____________ (下面) Wendy. She lives on the fourth floor.
5. He can speak English _____________ (更好) than I.
6. You can ask me for help if there is _______________ (任何事) wrong.
I like soft and gentle music. It ______________ (听起来) nice.
Thank you for _______________ (修理) my washing machine.
二 用所给单词的适当形式填空
Some social workers are ready ________________ (help) the old people.
Tom will be _______________ (good)enough to go to school this afternoon.
Don’t be _______________ (worry) about your son. He can look after himself.
Colours can change our moods (情绪) and make us _______________ (feel) happy or sad.
There _______________ (be) a football match on CCTV-5 at nine tomorrow evening.
I don’t know how ________________ (design) my new home.
【课堂延伸】
一、 阅读理解
Ali, who was working a long way from home wanted to send a letter to his wife, but he could neither read nor write, and he had to work all day, so he could only look for somebody to write his letter late at night .At last he found the house of a letter writer whose name was Nasreddin.
Nasreddin was already in bed. It is late, he said. What do you want? I want you to write a letter to my wife , said Ali , Nasreddin was not pleased. He thought for a few seconds and then said, Has the letter got to go far? What does that matter? answered Ali.
Well, my writing is so strange that only I can read it, and if I have to travel a long way to read your letter to your wife, it will cost you a lot of money. Ali went away quickly.
) 1. Ali wanted to______________ to his wife.
A. get something
B. have a letter written
C. bring a flower
D. say good-bye
) 2. At last he found the house of_______________.
A. a writer
B. a seller
C. an old man
D. a letter-writer
) 3.When Ali told what he wanted to do Nasreddin was________________.
A. not pleased
B. pleased
C. excited
) 4.Nasreddin said that his writing was_________________.
A. easy for anyone to read
B. strange for anyone to read
C. too strange for anyone to write
D. difficult for anyone to read
) 5. This story tells us__________________.
A. not to ask anybody for help
B. not to trouble others at night
C. not to ask for help without money
D. not to trust others
二、首字母填空
where he or she goes to school? They don’t learn by tat home, you know! They go to international schools. Usually
In Beijing, there are 15 international schools. An international school has many students coming
students at international schools. These foreign kids Western-style(西式的) education. Most of their teachers are also foreigners. in English and use English textbooks. Students do not have many exams.
they do have a lot of homework.
1. f__________
6. d__________ 2. a__________ 7. C__________ 3. t__________ 4. b_________
5. y__________ 8. r__________ 9. t_________
10. B_________
☆★作业完成情况评价:___
日期:___
包含各类专业文献、生活休闲娱乐、专业论文、幼儿教育、小学教育、外语学习资料、应用写作文书、高等教育、957B U 2
Neighbours
学案 Task等内容。 
 7B U 2 Neighbours 学案Grammar 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 镇江市第三中学教学案 七年级 英语学科 执稿人:杨春银 第 10 课时 课题:7B Unit 2 Nei...  7B U 2 Neighbours 学案 Reading(2) 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 镇江市第三中学教学案 七年级 英语学科 执稿人:韩智敏 第 09 课时 课题:7B Unit ...  7B U 2 Neighbours 学案 Reading(1) 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 镇江市第三中学教学案 七年级 英语学科 执稿人:韩智敏 第 08 课时 课题:7B Unit ...  镇江市第三中学教学案 七年级 英语学科 执稿人:王海萍 第 11 课时 课题:7B Unit 2 Integrated skills Neighbours 班级:___ 姓名:___ 学号:___ 授课时间:20...  7B U 4学案 Task 7B Unit 4 Finding the ... 7B U 4学案 Reading(1) ...1下载券 7B U 2 Neighbours 学... 2页 1下载券7​B​ ​U​ ​...  江苏省洪泽外国语中学七年级英语下册 7B Unit 2 Neighbours Task教学案 牛津版_英语_初中教育_教育专区。(课题) :7b 教学目的: Unit 2 neighbours (task ) 能够...  江苏省丹阳市第三中学七年级英语下册 7B Unit 2 Neighbours Task&Self-assessment学案_英语_初中教育_教育专区。7B Unit 2 Neighbours Task&Self-assessment 班级 姓...  7B U 2 Neighbours 学案... 暂无评价 2页 1下载券7​B​ ​U​  ​A​b​i​l​i​t​i​e​s​ ​学​案​ ...  7B U 2 Neighbours 学案... 7B U 2 Neighbours 学... 7B U 2 Neighbours...7​B​ ​U​  ​ ​W​e​l​c​o​m​e...

我要回帖

更多关于 worrying 的文章

随机推荐