续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
Unit 4 Entertainment
阅读已结束,下载文档到电脑
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,方便使用
还剩1页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢U1ReadingBodylanguage;Readthisstoryinaschoolne;DebbieandSimonlookedupas;Simonsighedandtooksomepa;‘PeoplealwayspreferDebbi;‘Ican.It’sthewayyoucommu;‘Howcanthatbe?Idon’teven;‘Communi
Body language
Read this story in a school newspaper. Debbie and Simon are college students. They have part-time jobs at a travel agency. They are sitting in the office.
Debbie and Simon looked up as a well-dressed lady entered. The lady glanced at them both, then walked over to Debbie.Debbie greeted her cheerfully. The lady said, ‘I want to go by train to…’
Simon sighed and took some papers over to the fax machine. Mr. Young, a senior employee, was standing there. ‘What’s up, Simon? You don’t look very happy.’
‘People always prefer Debbie to me. I can’t understand it.’
‘I can. It’s the way you communicate.’
‘How can that be? I don’t even get a chance to speak to them.’
‘Communicating is more than speaking and listening. Your body language is important, too.’
‘Body language?’
‘It’s the way you stand and sit. It’s your gestures and the expression on your face and in your eyes. Your whole appearance communicates things. The way you look at people doesn’t give them a good impression,Simon. You often rest your head on your hand. You look downwards. You never smile. You don’t turn your head or body towards people. Look at Debbie. She’s holding her head up. She looks at people’s eyes. She smiles. Your body language is telling people to go away. Debbie’s body language is making them feel welcome. That’s why they go to her for assistance, and not to you.’
After that, Simon decided to improve his body language. He sat up and smiled at people. This seemed to work. Minutes later, a very beautiful girl entered. She looked at Debbie and then Simon. Without hesitation she went to Simon and gave him a big smile. A few moments later, she left, still smiling.
Mr. Young came over at once and remarked, ‘You made a good impression on her.’
‘That was my sister,’ said Simon. ‘She wanted to remind me that tomorrow is her birthday.’
Eye contact
Eye contact is a form of communication which can mean different things in different cultures. Read this article about eye contact on a website.
Thoughout the history of mankind, people have communicated with body language. In many situations, the way you say something is far more important than what you say.
Eye contact is sometimes the key to communication. It can signal friendliness or hostility, interest or boredom, and understanding or confusion.
In Western cultures, maintaining eye contact in conversations is necessary. As a matter of fact, a westerner might consider a lack of eye contact as a lack of interest. In Spain, Italy and Greece, where people stand clost together talking to each other, eye contact is more frequent and lasts longer.
In many Asian cultures, avoiding eye contact shows respect. It is done when talking with anyone in authority or with anyone older.
Habits like this can cause problems when people do not understand them. For instance, an Asian might close his eyes in concentration or look down while listening to a speaker. A Western speaker might think the man is not interested.
Eye contact is a subtle thing. Avoiding eye contact might be considered impolite, but staring at others is also considered rude and should be avoided.
Care for your hair
A new hairdressing salon has opened near your home. Read this leaflet from the salon.
191 Fanhua Road, near Luxi Road
Open 9.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. daily
For a new hairstyle to suit your new lifestyle, come to Connie’s!
We guarantee our hirstyles will make you feel on top of the world. Choose the one that is right for you. Get free advice from our experts.
What sort of hairstyle is best for me?
Is your face round, square, long or heart-shaped? Short styles usually suit round faces. Short hair with curls will make the face look longer. Longer styles suit square faces. They hide the angles of the face.
How can I keep my hair healthy?
Keep yourself healthy. Eat a balanced diet and get plenty of exercise. You will shine and so will your hair. In addition, look after your hair. City air is dirty and polluted, so it is wise for you to shampoo your hair often. Here are some of the things you need for effective hair care at home.
Shampoo and conditioner
Choose a shampoo that suits your type of hair (i.e., oily, dry or normal hair). Apply it after wetting your hair with warm water. After shampooing, squeeze out the extra water and apply conditioner. This will make your hair soft and shiny.
Hairbrushes and combs
These should be soft enough not to damage your hair. Before shampooing, brush your hair thoroughly. This helps loosen any dirt in your hair. After washing out the shampoo, apply the conditioner and comb it into your hair so that every hair so that every hair is covered.
Towels and hairdryers
Dry your hair gently with a towel before using the hairdryer. Always set it a low temperature. Hold it at least 10 cm from your hair.
Remember not to overuse your hairdryer. That will dry out your hair.
Being happy with your hair
Read this article from a website that tells people how to take good care of their hair.
Some people have a lot of hair while others have a little. Some people have no hair on the top of their head: they are bald. The important thing is ---- are you happy with the hair you have?
Problem hair is often a result of an unhealthy diet and lifestyle.
To ensure your hair looks its best, pay attention to what you eat. Lack of protein and iron makes your hair less shiny. So, you need adequate amounts of green vegetables, fruits and dairy products. Drink eight to ten glasses of water a day. This will help keep your hair from becoming dry. Avoid eating sweets or high-fat foods. They can slow hair growth.
Stress in your life can also secretly rob your hair of its shiny beauty. Relaxing music and more rest are both remedies for stress.
In addition, remember to rinse your hair thoroughly after you shampoo it. Brushing your hair regularly will help it grow. It will also make it look healthy. Do not rub your hair too quickly when you dry it. It could damage your hair.
Last, be sure to choose the right hair products. The choices you make are the key to healthy hair.
Places of interest
Wendy is a student in Beijing. Her penfriends in England are planning to visit China, so Wendy has collected some information from different travel brochures for them. Read the cuttings below.
The Great Wall twists and turns along the tops of mountain chains in northern China. It is more than 4,000 kilometres long.
Construction of the wall began in the fifth century BC. The wall finally took shape in the third century BC. From Beijing, you can visit the Great Wall at Badaling, 65 kilometres north-west of the city. The Great Wall opens at 6.30 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m. in summer.
The Shanghai Museum was designed by Xing Tonghe. Construction of the museum was completed in 1996. The building is a magnificent structure with a square base and a rund top. From a distance, it looks like a ding, an ancient Chinese container for food. The museum includes galleries with ancient Chinese bronze ware, sculptures, paintings, calligraphy, seals and furniture. It is open between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The scenery along the Li River in Guilin is just like a beautiful landscape painting. Take a boat trip, and you will be attracted by the odd peaks along the river and their reflections in the river and their reflections in the clear water. You can also walk or cycle along the paths near the river, or take mud baths in nearby caves. Guilin is a good place to go in Spring.
More places to visit
Wendy and her parents want to take a trip overseas soon. She is looking at this webpage on travel to see where they can go.
Angkor Wat
The remains of Angkor Wat, with its sculptures and ancient temples, are the pride of Cambodia. Angkor Wat was the captial of the Khmer people. After the Khmer Kingdom was destroyed in 1431, the city was abandoned. It was largely forgtten until it was discovered again in 1858. You can now easily access Angkor Wat by air, and it has hotels nearby.
The Colosseum was built in Rome, Italy, in AD 72. This huge stadium could hold more than 50,000 people. It was a popular place for races and fights. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the Colosseum fell into ruin. The site is now the place to see in Italy. You can sit in the stands and imagine the past.
Great Pyramids of Giza
The Great Pyramids of Giza overlook the Nile River in Egypt. They were built around 4,500 years ago as tombs for kings. The Great Pyramid of Khufu is the largest of all. It is made of 2.3 million stone blocks. Each side of the base is 230 metres long. The Pyramids have been damaged over time, but they are still a wonder to see.
Surprises at the studio
Read the excerpt from the novel Mandy and Angela Go to Europe. In this excerpt, Mandy and her friend Angela attend the filming of a TV quiz programme.
‘Five minutes until we start filming.’ Shouted the director. ‘Is everyone ready?’ ‘I’m glad that I’m not one of the contestants!’whispered Mandy. ‘They must feel really worried now!’
‘Oh, I would love to be a contestant,’ said Angla.
The three contestants were sitting at their desks on the stage, waiting. The hot lignts were shining down upon them. Suddenly, one of them, a woman, stood up and then fell forward across her desk.
‘Oh, she’s fainted because it’s too hot,’ gasped Mandy. A cameraman helped the woman off the stage.
The director hurried down from the control room opposite the stage. ‘We need another contestant before the show begins,’ he shouted. ‘Who wants to be on TV?’ Angela raised her hand. ‘You’re on!’ the director shouted. After he seated her on the stage, a make-up artist rushed forward. She quickly powdered Angela’s face and combed her hair.
三亿文库3y.uu456.com包含各类专业文献、专业论文、高等教育、各类资格考试、行业资料、应用写作文书、52牛津高一上课文原文等内容。 
 牛津英语必修三课文原文及中文翻译1_高一英语_英语_高中教育_教育专区。牛津英语必修三课文原文及中文翻译 M3U1 Fog Warning When Polly left home that morning, ...  牛津高中英语模块1-5全部英语课文及中文翻译_英语_高中教育_教育专区。牛津高中英语模块1-5全部英语课文及中文翻译对课文教学检查,如挖空,翻译练习,出题目非常有用 ...  上海牛津高一上课文录入_英语_高中教育_教育专区 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档上海牛津高一上课文录入_英语_高中教育_教育专区。Unit 1Body language Read ...  高一牛津英语课文_高一英语_英语_高中教育_教育专区。Home alone Act one Mom and Dad arrive back from vacation a day earlier than expected. The curtains a...  高一第一学期牛津英语课文(学生版)_英语_高中教育_教育专区 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 高一第一学期牛津英语课文(学生版)_英语_高中教育_教育专区。...  牛津英语模块二课文原文_英语_高中教育_教育专区 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 牛津英语模块二课文原文_英语_高中教育_教育专区。最新牛津英语模块二...  牛津模块五课文原文_高二英语_英语_高中教育_教育专区。I feel ___1___ by my friend Hannah. We have been best friends since ___2___ school, and ...  牛津上海版高一下12篇课文_高一英语_英语_高中教育_教育专区。牛津高一下 12 篇课文上大市北 Unit 1 Reading The Phantom of the Opera Read this short story...扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
U4Reading Surprises at the studioRead the excerpt from the novel Mandy and Angela Go to Europe.In this excerpt,Mandy and her friend Angela attend the filming of a TV quiz programme.‘Five minutes until we start filming.’ Shouted the director.‘Is everyone ready?’ ‘I’m glad that I’m not one of the contestants!’whispered Mandy.‘They must feel really worried now!’‘Oh,I would love to be a contestant,’ said Angla.The three contestants were sitting at their desks on the stage,waiting.The hot lignts were shining down upon them.Suddenly,one of them,a woman,stood up and then fell forward across her desk.‘Oh,she’s fainted because it’s too hot,’ gasped Mandy.A cameraman helped the woman off the stage.The director hurried down from the control room opposite the stage.‘We need another contestant before the show begins,’ he shouted.‘Who wants to be on TV?’ Angela raised her hand.‘You’re on!’ the director shouted.After he seated her on the stage,a make-up artist rushed forward.She quickly powdered Angela’s face and combed her hair.‘Ten seconds,’ shouted the director.‘Smile,everyone.Cue Lester!’ Everyhone in the audience started clapping.The announcer’s voice boomed,‘ It’s time for Travel Quiz,and here’s your host,Lester Li!’ Lester Li came running out and stood in front of the desks.The quiz programme had begun.Angela was terrific.Since she answered the questions easily,she was soon ahead of the other two contestants.Mandy,however,was tense.She sat on the edge of her seat and chewed her fingernails while she watched.Twenty-five minutes later,Angela had beaten the other contestants.She had to answer six mor questions to win the grand prize.Mandy was so excited.She could hardly keep still.Angela kept getting the questions right.There was just one question to go.‘And finally,where is the Colosseum?’ asked Lester.‘In Rome,Italy,’ replied Angela.‘Right!’ shouted Lester,as the audience clapped.‘You have won tonight’s grand prize----a trip for two to the lovely city of Paris!’需要有点自己的概括。不能全部用课文里的话。
作业帮用户
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
U4Reading Surprises at the studioRead the excerpt from the novel Mandy and Angela Go to Europe.In this excerpt,Mandy and her friend Angela attend the filming of a TV quiz programme.The three contestants were sitting at their desks on the stage,waiting.The hot lignts were shining down upon them.Suddenly,one of them,a woman,stood up and then fell forward across her desk.Ten seconds,’ shouted the director.‘Smile,everyone.Cue Lester!’ Everyhone in the audience started clapping.Angela was terrific.Since she answered the questions easily,she was soon ahead of the other two contestants.Twenty-five minutes later,Angela had beaten the other contestants.She had to answer six mor questions to win the grand prize.Right!’ shouted Lester,as the audience clapped.‘You have won tonight’s grand prize----a trip for two to the lovely city of Paris!
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码君,已阅读到文档的结尾了呢~~
朗读在普通高中英语课堂教学中的应用初探
扫扫二维码,随身浏览文档
手机或平板扫扫即可继续访问
朗读在普通高中英语课堂教学中的应用初探
举报该文档为侵权文档。
举报该文档含有违规或不良信息。
反馈该文档无法正常浏览。
举报该文档为重复文档。
推荐理由:
将文档分享至:
分享完整地址
文档地址:
粘贴到BBS或博客
flash地址:
支持嵌入FLASH地址的网站使用
html代码:
&embed src='http://www.docin.com/DocinViewer--144.swf' width='100%' height='600' type=application/x-shockwave-flash ALLOWFULLSCREEN='true' ALLOWSCRIPTACCESS='always'&&/embed&
450px*300px480px*400px650px*490px
支持嵌入HTML代码的网站使用
您的内容已经提交成功
您所提交的内容需要审核后才能发布,请您等待!
3秒自动关闭窗口 上传我的文档
 下载
 收藏
粉丝量:33
该文档贡献者很忙,什么也没留下。
 下载此文档
牛津高一上课文原文
下载积分:800